Houston Oaks

15,323 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Aggie369
DoubleE65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Playing in a game out there this week and have never played the course. Anybody here members or played before? Any tips? Looking forward to it!
jja79
AG
Long time member. What day are you playing?

Par 71 with 5 par 3's. 4 of them are 205 to 220.

Course is in great condition. Greens have a lot of undulation so being on the right level is critical.

You have to be right side of the fairway on 1. Don't hit driver on 3. Middle of the green on 4 regardless where the pin is. Fairway bunkers are trouble on 8, 10, 11, 13, 16. Greenside bunkers on most holes are deep.

GPS yardage is accurate to the day's pins so you only need a range finder on the par 3's.

Have fun.
DoubleE65
AG
Midday tomorrow, think we have four groups.

Thanks for the tips, sounds like it'll be a fun test!
jja79
AG
I'll be interested to hear what you think. I had guests from Dallas 2 weeks ago and they said they didn't know anyplace they could compare it to.
aginlakeway
AG
Suppose to be about as good as it gets in Texas ...
jja79
AG
If you have time go to the gun club and wine bunker. The guests I had 2 weeks ago spent 2 nights in the hotel on property and they never went off property all weekend.
DoubleE65
AG
Sounds like a great place to spend some time.
Ezra Brooks
AG
How many houses does one need to buy/refinance to get an invite from jja79?
jja79
AG
Shoot me an email and let's do it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Well hell if we're throwing out invites here.... Lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AustinCountyAg
I've only been out there for weddings but just looking at the course it looks fantastic. Extremely jealous of JJ
Ag_07
AG
Spent a lot of time out there before it was the private club it is today.

Even then it was a great track that was always in good shape.

Was super disappointed when they went private.
E
AG
Played it this past weekend for the first time... amazing course! Everything jja said about the course is right. First tee is a short and hard dogleg left. Don't try to draw a driver... a hybrid or 3 wood down the right side of the hole is perfect.

If we you are throwing out invites i'll graciously accept one!
jja79
AG
I'm not sponsoring green fees but if there's a Texags group that wants to meet up and play there some time I can set it up and make sure the security gate opens for you.

Larry S Ross
AG
Old story that won't mean much now, but way back in the 70s that was Tennwood country club. They had a nice course, pool, picnic areas. My wife worked for Tenneco at the time. Membership was like $8 a month.
Would that get me anything out there now? Like a a wooden golf tee maybe.
Good Day.
boinger89
AG
I'd be interested in a Texags meet up. Played the course many times before it went private.
07fta07
AG
I've played it many times, just not since it's been completely redone. Been wanting to get out there for a while.
Ezra Brooks
AG
E said:

If we you are throwing out invites i'll graciously accept one!
Quote:

Well hell if we're throwing out invites here.... Lol

I didn't intend to start a "everybody ask jja79 for an invite" problem....just some gentle ribbing on a outing that we had talked about during our first transaction.

Sorry jja79
E
DoubleE65
AG
You have a top notch facility JJ, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there yesterday. All of the massive oaks around the property were incredible. In my opinion the course plays pretty easy off the tee and is definitely a 2nd shot golf course. All of the runoffs and undulations in the greens plus their speed is the real defense of the course. Had my share of good birdies to go along with a few three putts and failed up and downs around the greens on my way to 74.

After the round we went down in the wine bunker to settle bets and that is an awesome spot. You could lose total track of time down there haha.

Great experience and hope to be back soon!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
DoubleE65 said:

You have a top notch facility JJ, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there yesterday. All of the massive oaks around the property were incredible. In my opinion the course plays pretty easy off the tee and is definitely a 2nd shot golf course. All of the runoffs and undulations in the greens plus their speed is the real defense of the course. Had my share of good birdies to go along with a few three putts and failed up and downs around the greens on my way to 74.

After the round we went down in the wine bunker to settle bets and that is an awesome spot. You could lose total track of time down there haha.

Great experience and hope to be back soon!

How did LG and JJ make out?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
jja79
AG
Not a problem at all. Our deal stands. My dime.
DoubleE65
AG
I didn't play in their 4some, not sure. Mad 9 hammer was a wash.
Old Army
AG
Joined right as they went private, so got in a great deal. Had to give it up a while back after my oldest (who worked there) started college (damn out of state tuition). Anyway, JJ is spot on. It is a fantastic facility, and a fun but challenging layout. Amenities are also top notch. One of these days I'll get back on as I live very close by.
htownag2007
AG
Interested as well! I've only played it once since it's been private, and it was about 40* and windy as all get out, so it didn't do it justice.
jja79
AG
If there's interest in a Texags outing my email is on my profile. It's open monday and closed tuesday as opposed to the other way around like most private clubs.
gman-79
AG
JJA hosted my group at HO last summer and we still talk about it.
The course was phenomenal and JJA met us for breakfast and went to the course and rode along as a sort of tour guide/forecaddy, good dude, like most class of '79. Well worth the green fee and if you pick the wrong side of the green, good luck, you're probably about to write down a big number. We did get to meet Hal Sutton and used the term "be the right club today" quite a bit.
annie88
AG
Aggie1391
What's the guest fee? $150?
DoubleE65
AG
Think I paid $127 w a cart.
Exsurge Domine
Happy to say that I'm now a member of this fine country club. JJA79 was a huge help and instrumental in getting me fast tracked through the membership process. If you're under 40, the young executive membership is absolutely the way to go. If any of you fellow ags ever want to play a round just let me know.
jja79
AG
Several here sent me emails about getting a Texags group together. Several others expressed interest in playing but didn't email me and can't receive PMs here. If you're one of those or are anyone else interested in playing send me an email which is on my profile.

As Exsurge said he's now a member and he and I can coordinate this.

I'm headed out of town for the weekend but when I get back I'll email everyone in the group and we'll set it up. Weekday or weekend works for me. I think it's $100 plus cart weekdays and $125 plus cart weekends.

The last Texags group was Gman79's and I'm looking forward to them coming back.

AustinCountyAg
Random question. I was looking online and reading about the course. I noticed the course has "comfort stations". Are these your typical halfway house kinda deals at courses, or are these the things like at Bluejack where you walk in and can pick up whatever food/drink you want for free?
jja79
AG
Right now it's just the restrooms and water with the covid thing. The facilities are as good as any I've ever seen, but that may be that I haven't seen much. If you're interested in being part of the Texags group shoot me an email.
Exsurge Domine
jja79 said:

Right now it's just the restrooms and water with the covid thing. The facilities are as good as any I've ever seen, but that may be that I haven't seen much. If you're interested in being part of the Texags group shoot me an email.

I have been to a ton and they're the best facilities I've ever seen ever. I was very happy at Blackhorse but was blown away after visiting once.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.