Distance Report

4,878 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jja79
Rubble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCA1 said:

And there can also be post-tournament issues. I played Pebble last August. When they attempted to return the fairways to their original boundaries after the U.S. Open, they cut them too close and there were dead stripes running down the sides of the fairways on multiple holes. They had discounted the greens fees for this, but I was lucky enough to be there on the first day they returned to normal pricing.

So, what we've decided is that it's best to play Pebble about a year after a us open and more than 2 years prior
jonj101
Whenever this debate comes up, my reaction is that I don't believe that golf has a distance problem. I believe that it has an ego problem.

From the amateur perspective, course records are not getting broken everyday, and despite everyone believing they hit the ball 300+, the average male golfer still probably doesn't touch 260-270. Even if everyone is much closer to 340 - 400 yd par 4's after teeing off, if they aren't dropping eagles or birdies consistently, in my mind its irrelevant. At the end of the day the only number that truly matters is the final score. Everything else is just fluff and analytics. There may be some out there, but I haven't met an amateur golfer that has developed disinterest in the game because they didn't have enough opportunities to hit their 5 iron into a Par 4.

oldschool87
AG
There is no penalty for anything...

Sand traps do not bother a single tour pro. You ever played out the sand the Pros play out of. It's a better lie than most any muni fairway. If you hit it in the sand trap you should not be able to hit a 185 yard shot 5 feet from the pin.

Start putting pure playground sand in there. You know the kind, put your ball in the bunker and you might not find it. If your in the bunker it's supposed to cost you.

I agree about the ruff, grow it, don't narrow the fairway, just grow the rough.

Simple fix for the bombers that would not hurt the avg guy. Just lace the fairway at 310 with a couple of church pew sand boxes across the middle every 10 yard for a bit and you will cut that crap right out...

There are A ton of things that can be done to keep the pros from destroying a course that would not affect joe blow...

But just like baseball bats, they need to dial it back...
Rubble
AG
What a brilliant idea. Average joes don't hit it 300 yards off the tees, so bunkers in the middle of the fairways won't hurt us.

But, make those bunkers like 6' deep so the only option out of them is a wedge. None of the shallow bunkers that they can hit long irons and fairway metals out of.
1872walker
Average joes couldn't drive it 250 30 years ago. So in 2050 when average Joes can hammer it 300, what are we going to do to the course then?

That's the concern with altering the arena to fit the equipment. It's a dog that's always chasing it's tail. Eventually, you have to make the game for the arena it's played in or you'll never be able to address the issue.
EKUAg
AG
Proper pot bunkers.

E
AG
1872walker said:

Average joes couldn't drive it 250 30 years ago. So in 2050 when average Joes can hammer it 300, what are we going to do to the course then?
Hopefully nothing. I would love to bomb it 300 and hit wedges into every par 4...

But none of this matters when the average joe (me included) still can't find the fairway with these super "forgiving" drivers.
raidernarizona
Quote:

The resort golfer who was paying north of $500 to play the course was forced to experience conditions not friendly to them in order to prep for an event over a year away

First World Problem if I've ever heard one! Poor guys, hope they didn't suffer too much!
DannyDuberstein
AG
grow up the rough for the pros. Take the rakes out of bunkers. Grass over some bunkers and grow it up for the pros. I think more grass bunkers could be a great solution to make it tough on pros but cheaper for courses to maintain

And I wouldnt mind if they put some restrictions on the ball the pros use. But I would not further restrict the equipment amateurs use
Yesterday
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

grow up the rough for the pros. Take the rakes out of bunkers. Grass over some bunkers and grow it up for the pros. I think more grass bunkers could be a great solution to make it tough on pros but cheaper for courses to maintain

And I wouldnt mind if they put some restrictions on the ball the pros use. But I would not further restrict the equipment amateurs use

All for grass bunkers. The lie in a grass bunker is infinitely harder than a perfectly manacured bunker.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Greenside bunkers are not a penalty at all for a Tour player. That's why the new Memorial Park GC in Houston only has 18 total on the whole course. The teeth in the course will be in the green surrounds - miss a green, get penalized with a tricky, tight lie.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Put more ponds. Bunker play is not hard.

Try hitting out of water.... Wet means death in golf.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Random thought...who first implemented the artificial water hazard on a golf course? Was it lobbied into place by a golf ball company? In what other sport do you routinely lose equipment you've paid for? So dumb.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Golf ball retriever company
Rubble
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Put more ponds. Bunker play is not hard.

Try hitting out of water.... Wet means death in golf.

**** yeah. Put a water hazard in the middle of every fairway that spans from 280-350. If they can carry it 350 consistently, then test them for PEDs
The Milkman
AG
Two of the most important opinions in the game (Tiger and Rory) both have now gone on the record as agreeing the ball needs to be rolled back and to bifurcate the game between pros and amateurs.

Rory from earlier this week:

Quote:

If they want to contain what we do as touring professionals, I'm all for that. Selfishly, I think thats only a good thing for the better players.
These two both understand that the ball going as far and as straight as it does only hurts the best players. If everyone can hit it long and take wedges into the green, their advantage is lessened.

Also, from an entertainment standpoint, is it really fun for a majority of fans to just watch guys hit it 325 to the middle of the fairway over an over? Driving is certainly the least interesting part of the game, so why not create more entertainment by forcing more long irons and interesting approach shots.
cablinaggie
AG
The Milkman said:

Two of the most important opinions in the game (Tiger and Rory) both have now gone on the record as agreeing the ball needs to be rolled back and to bifurcate the game between pros and amateurs.

Is there a link to where Tiger says he agrees with bifurcation? Not being snide, just that the only comment I've seen him make about it he says that it's "on the table", but it's hard enough getting more kids to participate with the slow and difficult nature of the game and today's generation being more interested in their phones.

The Milkman
AG
In 2017 he said:

Quote:

"We need to do something about the golf ball," Woods said on the "Holding Court" podcast. "I just think it's going too far, because we're having to build golf courses, if they want to have a championship venue, they've got to be 7,400 to 7,800 yards long.

And this week at the Genesis when asked about bifurcaction:

Quote:

"I think that is certainly in the discussion, it's on the table whether we bifurcate or not," he said. "It's only one percent of the guys or women that are going to be using that type of equipment, but we want to keep the game enjoyable, we want to keep having more kids want to play it.

Considering his previous thoughts on the topic it's not hard to read between the lines there. He's saying it's only one percent of the guys who it would impact and he still wants kids and amateurs to have fun by hitting an easy ball.
jja79
AG
Interesting (to me at least) discussion by Dean Snell about distance, clubs, balls and how distance evolved.

Front Range Ag
AG
Interesting to me, also.

Obviously, he has a dog in the fight but he's up front about it. I thought made good points just the same about unintended consequences of imposing changes to conforming equipment rules.

And thanks, Dean, for my balls. They showed up on Tuesday.

jja79
AG
MTB-X is fantastic.

The conversation about the evolution of the ball and spin was interesting I thought.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.