Patrick Reed - Cease-and-Desist

8,548 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCA1
AG
The Milkman said:

Imagine if an NBA player tried to file a C&D to Charles Barkley when he calls them a "dirty player" for taking cheat shots or flopping? How is this any different? Its not.
Yep. And if you are a pitcher and you get thrown out of a game after drilling a guy in the back the very next inning after one of your own guys got hit, you should be able to sue the ump for defamation! I mean, he sullied your reputation by insinuating you intended to hit that batter. He doesn't have proof!
JCA1
AG
What's the Masters got to do with it? He played great that week and won. Good for him.

The question is what is the most likely scenario for what we saw on video last month. And the most likely answer is, he tried to cheat. Again, doesn't mean it's the end of the world or that he should be excluded from society. And I'm sure he's not the only guy on tour that tried to get away with something like this. But why is it so hard for you to acknowledge that that is most likely what occurred here? I mean, I can't even remember the last time I saw a pro make incidental contact with sand. We're to believe he did it twice and didn't realize he did? Come on.

It's OK to recognize him as a world class golfer while acknowledging that he screwed up in this one instance.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
this is so weird to me. he's got a history going back to college and any player (much less one of his skill level and experience) knows what he did was cheating. some strange blinders on in this thread.

the c&d was an absolute b**** move. not surprising.
gravy97
AG
the video is complete evidence of cheating. I'm not even sure how that is up for debate. I'm not sure if jj is caught up on the technicality of proving intent in court of law or what... but he 100% intended to improve his lie and he 100% will never admit that. With that said... I have no problem with PR and enjoy watching him compete. He cheated and he got caught. If he wasn't at or in the lead, that video would never have existed.
the last of the bohemians
At the end of the day, Reed is good for the tour even if he occasionally cheats. The tour needs some rough around the edges, if you're not first you're last types. And he should be called out and penalized when he cheats. There are plenty of David Simms types for fakes like Chamblee to cheer for.
Reed is kinda the Earnhardt of golf, if he starts winning more majors I could see his fan base take off.
The Milkman
AG
The PGA tour in their infinite wisdom warned Cam Smith about his comments calling Pat Reed a cheater. Threatened him with fines.

In their mind actually cheating isn't worth a fine or a suspension. However, talking about someone else doing it is.
Bunk Moreland

Biggest takeaway from this (not that it's anything new but I like the way he straddles the line with his comments) is that all these little improvements are a thing a lot of guys do and don't get called for so they continue to push the boundaries until it goes too far or tv /media catches a person that isn't beloved by fans and uses it as their opportunity to act they're noble stewards of the game and cry foul.

The 3 wood pounding into the rough screams Phil, even though I'm a Phil fan.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've seen Sergio do the 3 wood trick recently.
EKUAg
AG
I do wonder if Peter Kostis' contract not being renewed has something to do with calling Reed out for a similiar ball in the rough incident where the ball was not really visible, he pulled out a fairway metal and placed it behind the ball several times, then changed clubs. Kostis remarked on how the back of the ball was then visible when it wasn't before.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Bunk Moreland
EKUAg said:

I do wonder if Peter Kostis' contract not being renewed has something to do with calling Reed out for a similiar ball in the rough incident where the ball was not really visible, he pulled out a fairway metal and placed it behind the ball several times, then changed clubs. Kostis remarked on how the back of the ball was then visible when it wasn't before.

Meh. I think they shed them to test out what other teams could work like ahead of the new tv deals in a year. He apparently agreed in an interview where he was pissed with the way he and McCord were let go.

Quote:

As to the reasoning behind the network's personnel changes, Kostis said he can only speculate, and hasn't been given any specifics. "All we've really heard is, 'We think it's time, we need a change, things were stale,'" Kostis said. "What was stale? 'Well, the telecasts.' Why is this the time now? 'Well, it just is.' They haven't really given us any answers whatsoever on why we were let go.

"There's a fine line between familiarity and staleness," Kostis continued. "What we've been hearing over and over from fans since this happened is, 'You guys are the voices of my weekends watching golf and we've grown to love it.' There's a familiarity for the viewers with the CBS team. Having said that, I don't think it was the announcers that were stale. I believe the production has suffered over the last few years. That's all I'm going to say. I'll just leave it at that."

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/10/31/peter-kostis-opens-up-disrespectful-cbs-dismissal/
G-Town Cracker
AG
Kostis eviscerates Reed on the most recent NLU pod
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
G-Town Cracker said:

Kostis eviscerates Reed on the most recent NLU pod

saw an instagram post or something from nlu about it but haven't listened yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.