Jordan Speith mouthing off to caddie

5,794 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
jrichgent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Poor look. As a superstar of his stature he should do better than this.

Obi Wan Ginobili
Yeah, that's not a great look.

The caddie doesn't have final say on club selection. The second that shot leaves the clubface, its on Spieth.
Locknload
AG
I see how this works. Jordan gets the trophies, the money and the endorsements when he wins.
Michael gets the blame when Jordan doesn't.
Tired of his whining.
aggolfer
AG
Not the first time he has done this either.
07fta07
AG
I don't like Spieth, but this isn't a big deal.
LHIOB
AG
Why are my drives going left in the s*** Michael?!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Spieth is the biggest titty baby in golf. Well, maybe next to Sergio.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is so overblown that it's ridiculous. Spieth uses "we" when he wins, so the accusation that he accepts the accolades while putting the negative on his caddy would require not paying one ounce of attention the past 5 years. But hey, welcome to watching golf. Hope you are enjoying the tournament. And it's not like he totally ripped him. People are being every bit the whiny pansy they think Spieth is about this.

He does whine too much in general, but here, they pulled 2 bad clubs in a row. That is worth biching about.
Ag_07
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

And it's not like he totally ripped him.

But he did

All he had to do was have a man to man conversation with while walking and say 'Dude what's going? That's twice in a row. C'mon...Let's get it together.'

Instead on the tee box in front of everyone he mouths off to him off without even making eye contact.

It's a bltch move
schwabbin
AG
I have no issue with this. People get publicly called out all the time in professional sports. He gets paid to do a job and the person writing his checks is letting him know he got it wrong.
FincAggie06
AG
Ha! Come on dude. This is a very Beta take on your part. He hardly ripped him. This is getting way over blown.
Bunk Moreland

Five iron huh?
John Cook just called out Spieth on Morning Drive.

"This is all on Spieth. Greller gave him the number, Spieth hit the shot."
FincAggie06
AG
Breaking news! Media amplifies normal event to drum up additional storyline.
Bunk Moreland
I think it's overblown, but it was funny to contrast it to Brooks when he sprayed the fairway wood on 18 tee to the cart path.

He immediately hits it and as it's flying right says "Where did that come from" talking about his swing.

Caddie says "my fault. Bad call" or similar. No reaction either way other than asking if the ball was safe or not.
jackie childs
spieth spends a lot of time with cameras on him and you don't see many "incidents" like this, and i use that term loosely. and honestly, if it helps spieth keep his head in the game, get past a bad shot and place higher, i'm sure michael is happy to take comments like that.
jackie childs
Locknload said:

I see how this works. Jordan gets the trophies, the money and the endorsements when he wins.
Michael gets the blame when Jordan doesn't.
Tired of his whining.

sorry, this thread just reminded me of this moment
DannyDuberstein
AG
LOL. That wasn't a rip job. Maybe to a millenial, I guess.

And that was a HUGE ****ing club mistake. The tee shot misjudgment would be embarrassing for a weekend hacker to make.
Ag_07
AG
OK maybe rip job is a bit harsh but either way it was pretty unprofessional and childish.

And yes I do agree that the mistake was costly and I don't blame Jordan for being pissed. I just blame him for how it was handled.

And I think a lot of you would be singing a different tune if Bubba or Tiger had done this.
bryanhome
I bet it upset Geller so much , he'll go back to teaching school.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are mic'd for 5 hours. He expressed very legitimate frustration. He didn't name call. He didn't belittle him. Is he supposed to wait until they get some alone time in the hotel room?
Unemployed
AG
Ag_07 said:

OK maybe rip job is a bit harsh but either way it was pretty unprofessional and childish.

And yes I do agree that the mistake was costly and I don't blame Jordan for being pissed. I just blame him for how it was handled.

And I think a lot of you would be singing a different tune if Bubba or Tiger had done this.
Bubba got caught on camera for ripping his caddie before. He got criticized for it,too.

Personally, I don't care and it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes you say things in frustration during the heat of the moment. The caddies expect this and know it's part of the job. I'm sure Spieth and his caddie had a good laugh about it after the round.
Yesterday
AG
Matt Kuchar- Mexican Caddie helped you win and you didn't pay him more than what y'all agreed too!!

Jordan Spieth- you're th player and hit the shots. Caddie has nothing to do with it.

Either way someone is trying to make a story. I miss the days where we didn't hear about this stuff. But I do demand 24/7 golf so I guess I'm partly to blame. I'm sure I'll make a double bogey today as punishment.
Icecream_Ag
S
So the drive is 253 to the cliff if I remember the other article I read. Did the caddie tell him it was 270 or something?

Did they misjudge elevation differences or wind speed?
_lefraud_
AG
Spieth is the employer, and he didn't like how his employee was doing part of his job, so he expressed his frustration. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Spieth said. I know we've all heard WAY worse from our "boss" when things weren't going well, regardless of who was at fault.

Spieth is whiny though.
Yesterday
AG
There's also a story about the first time Michael caddied for Jordan. Jordan flew the first two greens before Michael realized he was looking at the front nine instead of the back(they tees off 10). Jordan stayed with him after that first impression and made him a millionaire.
Deluxe
AG
I don't have any issue with Spieth taking Greller to task for what he perceived to be bad numbers, so long as it's fair within their process. He's the boss. But if an analyst gave me a bad number for an earnings call, I would wait until after the call was over and discuss with him/her in private.

IMO: Criticism of Spieth for holding his subordinate accountable is unfair. Criticism of Spieth for doing it with hot mics present is fair.
Duckhook
AG
Maybe he was always this way, but it sure seems like we hear him whining a lot more nowadays. "That's so unfair." "I hit that shot PERFECT, Michael" (as the ball hops over the green), etc. He even whined after his tee shot on 17 yesterday. "Left to right slope and my ball bounces left". Yeah, he's on TV a lot because of who he is, but we never hear the same stuff out of DJ, Koepka, Rose....... One of my regular golf buddies can be like this sometimes. I love helping him beat himself down. "Yeah, that really was a bad break". "Yeah, can't believe that putt broke that way." Eventually he figures out I'm sticking the needle in him.
aggiedent
AG
Why does anyone really care what he said?
07fta07
AG
He didn't belittle him. He didn't call him names. He expressed frustration with what he thought was his caddie doing a bad job. Who cares?

Everyone wants more access, to get closer, to hear what goes on. Then you hear what goes on and everyone flips their lid. Conversations like this probably happen between multiple players and their caddies every round but we want to act like Jordan beat his caddie and kicked a puppy when he really did nothing.

There's enough good golf and good story lines to focus on. The media doesn't need to manufacture a non-story.
The Lost
I dont see why we care, i bet this happens a ton, but just isnt on mic. Having the expectation of someone completely changing in one of their biggest 4 events of the year because hot mics are randomly around is dumb.

Sure he's whinny, but i doubt this is the first or last time he says something like this to his caddie.
Deluxe
AG
07fta07 said:

He didn't belittle him. He didn't call him names. He expressed frustration with what he thought was his caddie doing a bad job. Who cares?

Everyone wants more access, to get closer, to hear what goes on. Then you hear what goes on and everyone flips their lid. Conversations like this probably happen between multiple players and their caddies every round but we want to act like Jordan beat his caddie and kicked a puppy when he really did nothing.

There's enough good golf and good story lines to focus on. The media doesn't need to manufacture a non-story.
We can 100% agree that this is a non-story.
mazag08
AG
Spieth has always seemed like an entitled little *****. This confirms it.
So Greller told him it was 164 to the pin, and Spieth hit that shot 175+. How is that Greller's fault? He doesn't pull the club and tell Spieth to hit it.
WhoopN06
I believe Greller also said he thought Jordan should take 1 less club on either the tee shot or the "second".

Jordan is a whiner no doubt but I don't have an issue with this particular exchange. This happens ALL the time it's just barely ever caught by a mic. Fox has more mics than either cbs or nbc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.