NCAA Golf Tournament

41,567 Views | 543 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Bond
BurnHard Longer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that gap wedge or whatever Vandy hit on 3 was ridiculous; that should have been our hole.
jonj101
The beauty and tragedy of match play - started in the fairway with a clear advantage.
_lefraud_
AG
nevermind...very Aggie like ending
Ags77
AG
Wow. Tough loss. I see why that vandy guy is an all American
Gigem
TXAGGIES
not saying Erickson did anything wrong, but in match play if your opponent goes in the junk, you cant think par wins it as if they pull off a miracle shot the pressure is back on you.
Ragoo
AG
mazag08 said:

Inexcusable.

Gordon gave every chance he could.

Feel awful for Erickson.
inexcusable? Really strong word use here.

Hell of a match for Erickson.
mazag08
AG
sellthefarm said:

amazing par for vandy...he earned that one...wow

No he didn't. To not get par after that drive is us flat out snatching defeat. Gordon did great to recover, but that should have been a split at worst.
The Milkman
AG
Oof. Brutal.

From a rules perspective, what is the point of the "penalty area" now that you can take practice strokes from it? How is it any different than other rough?
mazag08
AG
The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

From a rules perspective, what is the point of the "penalty area" now that you can take practice strokes from it? How is it any different than other rough?
Also, didn't know you could have a teammate stand over your putting line and point to where you need to hit it.
TXAGGIES
He must have been inside the staked area or he could not swing in there.
Ervin Burrell
AG
The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Can you still not ground your club? I know that sounds like a dumb question but maybe you can't ground the club when addressing the ball?
schwabbin
AG
We lost that match back on 16
sellthefarm
AG
mazag08 said:

sellthefarm said:

No he didn't. To not get par after that drive is us flat out snatching defeat. Gordon did great to recover, but that should have been a split at worst.
Obviously that hole was a killer, but in general it was a great match.

Erickson's putt on 18 was so clutch, so I don't want to take anything away from him.
NColoradoAG
Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Can you still not ground your club? I know that sounds like a dumb question but maybe you can't ground the club when addressing the ball?
You can ground your club at address now.
The Milkman
AG
I noticed that when I watched the women's championship last week as well. I don't get why it's marked as a hazard
Ragoo
AG
schwabbin said:

We lost that match back on 16
he certainly could have won it, but he didn't lose it there.
bagger05
AG
mazag08 said:

sellthefarm said:

Yeah I agree. Lag putting almost cost him on the 18th. Both were tough putts (and the one on 18 was in a different league) but both looked a little misjudged.

Hell of a match. Golf is really hard.
Ervin Burrell
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Then I'm confused as well.
mazag08
AG
I'm not trying to bag on Erickson. Golf is hard and pressure is harder. He played phenomenal today but just couldn't finish against a great player who got hot/lucky at the right times in the match after being by far the worse golfer throughout the round.
NColoradoAG
Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Confused about what? It still plays as a lateral hazard. You may play your ball from the hazard or you can take the one stroke penalty and play along the line into the hazard, or two club lengths from where it entered no closer to the hole.

Ragoo
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Confused about what? It still plays as a lateral hazard. You may play your ball from the hazard or you can take the one stroke penalty and play along the line into the hazard, or two club lengths from where it entered no closer to the hole.

you can take an unplayable anywhere and get the same result. Being marked a lateral hazard is pointless.
mazag08
AG
mazag08 said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

Also, didn't know you could have a teammate stand over your putting line and point to where you need to hit it.
Can anyone fill me in on this? Has this always been allowed in college?
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
Gotta get in for par on xtra hole and make that putt for Vandy a do or die to extend match. Vandy holes it first and all the pressure switches sides
NColoradoAG
Ragoo said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

you can take an unplayable anywhere and get the same result. Being marked a lateral hazard is pointless.
Certainly true. The USGA usually makes thngs worse when they try to do anything.
bagger05
AG
Ragoo said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

But if it's in a hazard penalty area (excuse me) you don't have to find and identify it.
Ragoo
AG
bagger05 said:

Ragoo said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

But if it's in a hazard penalty area (excuse me) you don't have to find and identify it.
true

Can you ground your club in the sand now too? Technically a hazard.

Edit: they are no longer called hazards?
bagger05
AG
Ragoo said:

bagger05 said:

Ragoo said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

NColoradoAG said:

Ervin Burrell said:

The Milkman said:

Oof. Brutal.

true

Can you ground your club in the sand now too? Technically a hazard.

Edit: they are no longer called hazards?
Yep, they're penalty areas.

Sand is still a hazard maybe?

Don't think you can ground your club in the sand but now if you do it accidentally it's no penalty. Also think now there is such a thing as a movable obstruction in a sand trap.
agsfan
That wedge shot was pretty rough, but it's got to be hard to adjust for adrenaline and being downwind.
As solid as Walker was the first 3 days, the last 2 were head scratchers.

With their top 3, today was always going to be tough, but really thought we had it at the end.
mazag08
AG
To the team - we're proud of y'all! Things don't always work out, but nobody can say y'all didn't give it everything you had. Great way to finish the year! Come back next year and crush the field!
mazag08
AG
Oklahoma folded down the stretch. Sips move on despite an overall bad day. We would have beaten both of them.
The Grinder (99)
AG
in addition to not needing to find it in a hazard (vs a unplayable lie) there is potentially a big difference in where you can drop it. two club lengths from the unplayable lie may be very different from your options from the point where the ball crossed the hazard.
Deluxe
AG
mazag08 said:

To the team - we're proud of y'all! Things don't always work out, but nobody can say y'all didn't give it everything you had. Great way to finish the year! Come back next year and crush the field!
This. The most anxiety I feel all year is refreshing Golfstat during NCAAs when the Ags have a good team. This year was no different. Can't imagine what it was like for the team. Can't imagine what it was like for Erickson.

Been a rough time since winning it all in 2009. I think the 2010 squad was the better than 2009 (by ranking anyway) but they came up just short of match play after a crazy back nine charge on the final day of stroke play. Then in 2011, I recall we missed match play by one shot. Then in 2012, we posted a number in the morning at Riviera only to have the winds die down and miss match play again. Then the horrible rules fiasco in 2013 with Dunlap. Then took OSU to the wire on their home course last year.

This year's team took a while to come around, but better late than never. The win at regionals was impressive. We probably played a little over our heads in the first couple rounds of stroke play. The late collapse yesterday afternoon cost us the 6 seed and the right to play Wake Forest instead of Vanderbilt. But we would have had to play OSU eventually regardless and I suppose the silver lining is that I'm not sure if we (or anyone else) has the firepower to take down Hovland, Wolff and Eckroat.

Dan Erickson... way to play your tail off today. That was a tough match. One that everyone penciled in for Vandy before it even started (I know I did). We needed Smith or Lee to come through in one of the first two matches, but when they didn't, Dan gave us a chance. Great putt on 18. Tough break in the playoff. Tip of the cap to Gordon for the nice up and down from 100 yards. He's the sixth best player in the country for a reason (despite his douchy fist pumps).

We'll miss Chandler Phillips a ton. Best of luck to him on tour. But the rest of the guys should be back, plus three pretty talented freshmen coming in. Sam Bennett seems destined to develop into a solid No. 1 player. Looking forward to next year.
mazag08
AG
Who are the incoming freshman? Do we have a book on them?
Deluxe
AG
mazag08 said:

Who are the incoming freshman? Do we have a book on them?
https://12thman.com/news/2018/11/15/texas-am-mens-golf-signs-three-standouts-to-nlis.aspx?path=mgolf

I believe Jimmy Lee just won the Texas 5A state title
Old Tom Morris
The Grinder (99) said:

in addition to not needing to find it in a hazard (vs a unplayable lie) there is potentially a big difference in where you can drop it. two club lengths from the unplayable lie may be very different from your options from the point where the ball crossed the hazard.
yeah, this is an enormous difference. I have no idea why so many starred that post.

The club grounding rule was somewhat of a waste of time, and it was resulting in some unfair penalties regarding inadvertent contact with loose impediments. But cleaning that up without simplifying was just asking for trouble, so they simplified. But unplayable vs. hazard rules are still extremely different.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.