The Club at Falcon Point- Houston

14,574 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone a member? Anyone played it?

Moving to Cypress and looking at Houston National, Black Horse, and Falcon Point. All are between 300-400 a month with only 0-100 down. I've played both Houston National courses and played Black Horse before but not Falcon Point.
AustinCountyAg
I played it several months back with a co worker who is a member....I was not impressed. To me black horse is a step above and a much better set up. Especially considering you have access to two courses.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Black Horse isn't private. No idea what the benefit of a membership there is.

HN has a private side (Sterling). If Sterling is the membership, that might be decent. I've heard it's nice.

FP is 100% private, correct? Might make the decision easy.
Cargojorts15
AG
I've played it once and enjoyed it. It's challenging for me and I had to really plan each shot. Disclaimer I'm not great by any means. My brother and his wife are members there and they love it. Plenty of events/tournaments that appeal to both men and women.
cevans_40
AG
Sterling
Aggie369
AG
Black Horse "membership" is just a flat fee for unlimited golf, driving range, and cart fees. Same as Houston National but at Houston National you get access to the Sterling course, which is private. Falcon Point is Club Corp and fully private....so u get access to all club Corp courses for cart fee and it has a club house, pool, tennis, gym, etc....

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Yeah...I wouldn't pay that for the privilege of sharing the course with the general public. JMO.
AggiePride07
AG
I'm a member at Falcon Point. It's a very challenging course. Handicaps travel well from playing there all the time.

The club is awesome. Good group of guys out here. Club golf game every Friday around noon. Usually some kind of club tournament on Saturday. Poker once a week. And just lots of fun golf to be played.

Family friendly events are going on all the time. We go to pasta night every Wednesday and the kids love it.

Let me know if you'd like to come out and play a round and get a tour of the place. The person you should talk to over there is Monica about membership if you haven't already talked to her.

FP is part of Clubcorp so it gives you access to play at other places all over the greater Houston area and even nationally.

I'm heading to Atlanta before The Masters and playing three different private courses out there through Clubcorp for nothing or just cart fees only. That's a pretty cool benefit.
Aggie369
AG
Thanks for info! Ive talked to Monica and I'm heading up there tomorrow to get a tour of the place and hopefully drive the course or play a few holes. I've already played and toured the two other courses so this is my last stop. I've got 2 boys (4 and 1) so interested to see what it's got for them and the wife. Blackhorse and Houston National are just golf so not much for the fam
AggiePride07
AG
Awesome. Let me know if you decide to join. It's always good to add some more Aggies out here. We've got quite a few.
hehateme2285
Shoot me an email, hehateme2285@gmail.com. I've been a member over there for a few years. Great group of guys, can always find a game, MGA is well supported. They've got a great deal going right now, I can sponsor you in, get you set up in the games, etc. if you choose to join
cjsag94
AG
I live in Cypress, not any very good private options convenient to this area.

I wouldn't join Blackhorse or Houston National (especially not HN). Last I checked, BH actually had a shorter window for tee times than what the public could get. Their attitude was we'll take all the full price times and give members what's left.

Secondly, most members I've known at some point grow frustrated with all the tournaments BH holds in the spring using all 36 holes.

Finally, there's no special facilities or amenities at BH for the members. Your break even point on golf is about 5 rounds per month. Unless playing more than that consistently, I've been unable to find any benefit to membership there.

As for Sterling... Never heard much good about the place or people, and it's a really strange mix of country club joined with ice house environment. The public side is my least favorite course in the area.

Depending on where in Cypress, Pine Forest is probably best membersip option in my opinion.
Aggie369
AG
Thanks for heads up on pine forest... didn't know about that one.
mazag08
AG

Quote:

As for Sterling... Never heard much good about the place or people, and it's a really strange mix of country club joined with ice house environment. The public side is my least favorite course in the area.
This is true.

Does Falcon still have bentgrass greens?
hehateme2285
mazag08 said:

Quote:

This is true.

Does Falcon still have bentgrass greens?
Nope, bentgrass has been gone for a good while
RustyBV
AG
Not a member at Pine Forest, but have a close friend that is and he loves it. 27 holes and is less expensive comparing it to other private courses closer to town.
AustinCountyAg
didn't realize Blackhorse didn't have pool, gym, etc...sounds like a pretty crappy deal all things considered if you're a member

I also want to add to my first post that it's not that I didnt't enjoy the course at Falcon, but I like blackhourse better. Falcon played tough the day I was there, and I wasn't a huge fan of all the houses on the course. Greens were in good shape though and the driving range and putting green was in great shape as well. my buddy at work enjoys it out there and he's always taking advantage of the club corps perks
mm98
AG
I live in FP and have wondered about the club. Seems pretty decent for amenities versus cost

Only played the course once. Lost about a dozen balls due to the blind shots and not knowing where the water cut in...which is everywhere
hehateme2285
Falcon Point is running a 35th anniversary deal. For a YEX, it's $500 initiation, $320 a month carts included. Over 40, $350 initiation, $350 a month.

I've been out there since 2013. We have a good group of guys, with a good dogfight every Friday, both gross and net games on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The MGA is very well supported and gets a bunch of guys every 3rd Saturday. Plus you get access to all the clubcorp places in Houston and across the country for a cart fee.

I posted my email earlier in the thread, hehateme2285@gmail.com, if anyone has anymore questions, let me know. I can also sponsor a YEX in and have the $500 initiation dropped to $250.
AggiePride07
AG
Yep. Water on every hole but #3. OB's are all over too with it being in a neighborhood. Almost all the greens are elevated so you have to be able to lean on a good short game when you miss the green (like myself a lot). It's a tough course, and as I said handicaps travel well when you play there all the time.
07fta07
AG
Hearthstone also an option for you, and it's also Clubcorp.
1208HawkTree
AG
AggiePride07 said:

Yep. Water on every hole but #3. OB's are all over too with it being in a neighborhood. Almost all the greens are elevated so you have to be able to lean on a good short game when you miss the green (like myself a lot). It's a tough course, and as I said handicaps travel well when you play there all the time.

Was a member there for a couple of years. Course is an acquired taste. I didn't particularly care for it much the first time I played it, but was told to give it a chance by a few members (lots of good guys out there). They were right, the more I played it and learned the little things here and there, the more I liked it. The one thing that I do not like to this day, however, is that out of four par-5s, you can really only hit driver on one of them. That said, you will hit every club in your bag most rounds, and the direction+severity of the wind will make the course play VERY differently.

Funny story, shortly after we joined, my dad and brother came to play on my birthday. My dad is not a very good golfer, but he's not terrible. Typically shoots 95-115 on a normal course. I told him to make sure he brought a bunch of balls. Long story short, we usually cap out at double-par for him, but he kept his own separate card counting every shot. When we got done I asked what he really shot, and it was 159 if I remember correctly.

It is a golf-centric club, so the other things are an afterthought. Facilities are decent, men's locker room is small, but serves its purpose. Food is good overall, but service is slow (don't even think about ordering real food at the turn). The pool is nothing special, so other than special events or holiday weekends where they had real staff to serve food and booze, it didn't make much sense for my wife and kids to drive 20 minutes to swim when our neighborhood pool is much bigger and nicer, and 60 seconds from the house. The tennis courts were recently re-surfaced but while we were there my wife inquired multiple times about beginner clinics for her and my son, with both the club itself and the tennis pro directly, with virtually no response.

Had some of the "other" stuff been more accessible and made a priority, we may very well still be members. It ended up that i was the only one making any use of the club, and it was costing me about $150 a round when we did the math, so we dropped it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.