Golf Memberships

34,698 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr.Pepper7
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAco07 said:

Does everyone here live in the suburbs or the country? I only ask because living in Dallas there isn't a private club within a 20 minute drive from my house or office with a sub $20k initiation, and only one is that cheap with the rest >$75k. I know there are young exec programs that reduce or delay that initiation, but you're still talking about >$500/mo dues.

I would love to join a CC if there was a halfway decent option within 15-20 minutes of my house and/or office, but there is no way I could get enough use out of something farther away then that.

Where do you live? There are a ton of courses that fit your description.
DannyDuberstein
AG
How do you like the courses at Prestonwood?
LHIOB
AG
I like that they are completely different. The Creeks course is tough and forces you to play golf - hit a draw and hit a fade. The Hills course is more wide open.

So far so good. If you like to check it out let me know!
agsalaska
AG
I am a member of Wildflower(club corp) in Temple and my bill is usually in the $500-$600 a month depending on how much I eat and drink. I am there probably 10-12 days a month.

I have a good group of guys I play with but am not a social person at all. I just go home at night. All I want in a club is a good course in good conditions with good players that like to play. I have that there. And a good pool. But in the three years I have been a member there my family and I have maybe eaten 5 meals in the main dining room. We just don't go out much.

I played today. For mid August in a tough summer the course is in fantastic shape. Greens are flying and I didn't have a bad lie in the fairway all day.
FTAco07
AG
03ki11erAG said:

I live next to downtown Dallas. The only convenient clubs to home and office are DCC, Lakewood, and Royal Oaks. I would love to join DAC, but there's no way I could ever get out there at a decent hour to play during the week, and couldn't even practice mid-week after daylight savings.
Yesterday
AG
FTAco07 said:

03ki11erAG said:

I live next to downtown Dallas. The only convenient clubs to home and office are DCC, Lakewood, and Royal Oaks. I would love to join DAC, but there's no way I could ever get out there at a decent hour to play during the week, and couldn't even practice mid-week after daylight savings.

Prestonwood, Las Colinas, Brookhaven and Hackberry Creek are within a 20'min drive of downtown and they're well below $20k.
FTAco07
AG
None of those are even close to 20 minutes from the east side of downtown during any kind of weekday traffic. Los Colinas and Prestonwood Creek are both 25 minutes with absolutely no traffic.

I've thought about Los Colinas as it's the only Club Corp/affordable course that would be even close to working, but I always end up deciding to just keep playing at Tennison

Rubble
AG
Speaking of justification, I go on the 6 rounds walking to justify the dues alone (cart fees add at least another round per 5 IMO). I still haven't joined anywhere, but that's because I can't play 6 times a month at the moment because of kids. If I could sneak out a lot during the week, it would be a no brainer. Right now I'm on the 5 year plan. As soon as my twins are in school, my oldest gets off child support, I'll get a fat raise and justify away. Until then, I play when I can. I will join Lantana so long as we haven't moved at that point.
KidDoc
AG
I've toyed with the idea of joining Pebble Creek in CS but the initation fee ($8000 up front then $335 ish a month) and the fact that I work full time so can play maybe 6 rounds a month at most has made it a bad deal for me. I wish they offered a golf only membership because I have no interest in the pool or gym just golf.

So my wife and I mostly rotate between Briarcrest/city, Navasota, and Campus course for the 3-4x we play together during the football off-season. I've been playing Wednesday @ 1:30 at Briarcrest on Wednesday's if I don't have other work duties as that is my 1/2 day with no clinic. It is crazy cheap with golfnow only about $20 with cart and it has not been crowded at all. Usually takes me 2.5-3 hours.

Maybe someday Pebble Creek will be worth it but right now it is just money I would rather spend going on vacation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thanks for the offer! May take you up on it some time. How's the traffic during weekday twilight and weekend afternoons?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
agsalaska said:

I am a member of Wildflower(club corp) in Temple and my bill is usually in the $500-$600 a month depending on how much I eat and drink. I am there probably 10-12 days a month.

I have a good group of guys I play with but am not a social person at all. I just go home at night. All I want in a club is a good course in good conditions with good players that like to play. I have that there. And a good pool. But in the three years I have been a member there my family and I have maybe eaten 5 meals in the main dining room. We just don't go out much.

I played today. For mid August in a tough summer the course is in fantastic shape. Greens are flying and I didn't have a bad lie in the fairway all day.

I had no idea that Wildflower was Club Corp. May be playing in a scramble there in September with my dad. Haven't played the course in at least 10 years though.
LHIOB
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Thanks for the offer! May take you up on it some time. How's the traffic during weekday twilight and weekend afternoons?
On Sunday afternoon I teed off at 1:30 and played 36 in just a little over 5 hours.
Yesterday
AG
FTAco07 said:

None of those are even close to 20 minutes from the east side of downtown during any kind of weekday traffic. Los Colinas and Prestonwood Creek are both 25 minutes with absolutely no traffic.

I've thought about Los Colinas as it's the only Club Corp/affordable course that would be even close to working, but I always end up deciding to just keep playing at Tennison

Yea, I didn't realize you were in East Dallas. That said it's a 25 minute drive at 9:30 from Uptown to Hackberry Creek, but in trafffic it can be a real *****. If you want to play at Hackberry sometime just give me a shout. We play most Friday afternoon's.
DannyDuberstein
AG
LHIOB
AG
I think I easily could have played 54 but I didnt want my wife forget I existed
cjsag94
AG
I think if I lived in CS and my choices were Briarcrest, Navasota, or campus.. I'd be inclined to make the leap to join a nice/decent club like I assume Pebble Creek is.

In northwest Houston, plenty of nice choices that really make it tough to justify.

With that said, High Meadow Ranch just keeps getting better. Course is in great shape right now, finally finished all the bunkers, pace of play is perfect, and very reasonable fees. That course is my go to, and may only be an hour from CS is you have the time to get that far.
DadAG10
For those who try to justify per round cost, it may never work out.

Some may do a better analysis and justify by strokes, playing only 4 rounds, but having enough strokes for 6 or 7 rounds. jk

There are many non $$$ reasons to join (good group of guys, good MGA events, ease of location and getting tee times, etc.).

If your spouse or children have any interest in golf, tennis, pool, etc, it can be a great place to do things as a family and to keep kids active.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
cjsag94 said:

I think if I lived in CS and my choices were Briarcrest, Navasota, or campus.. I'd be inclined to make the leap to join a nice/decent club like I assume Pebble Creek is.

In northwest Houston, plenty of nice choices that really make it tough to justify.

With that said, High Meadow Ranch just keeps getting better. Course is in great shape right now, finally finished all the bunkers, pace of play is perfect, and very reasonable fees. That course is my go to, and may only be an hour from CS is you have the time to get that far.
I enjoy HMR (especially since they are one of only two area courses with Golfboards) but it's hardly NW Houston. It's in Montgomery County. Lots of choices from north to northwest Harris County, though, that's for true.

I recently joined a private club that's only 5 minutes from the house. Night and day compared to a public course. The convenience factor shouldn't be underestimated. Same with the rate of play. Definitely worth it, if you can afford and want to play as much as possible (even if it isn't a 9- or 18-hole round).
BESCo91
AG
Colorado Springs Country Club member.
- $520 per month.
- Unlimited golf, range, chip/putt for my family.
- Cart is $9 for 9, $18 for 18.
- Unlimited pool (May-Sep), tennis, gym & classes.

Average pace of play for 18 is 3 hours and 52 minutes ..... that's really what I am paying for (and an impeccably maintained course).
07fta07
AG
Pace of play is under 4 hours at my club. That's worth a bunch of extra $ to me as well.
cjsag94
AG
Yeah, High Meadow is a stretch to call Northwest Houston. Although it is only 15 minutes from Tomball Area, 25-30 from my home in Cypress. I play there every Thursday with a Ranch Card ($100/yr give me $23 off per round), so my Thursday round is $41 all in. $59 on weekends. I just wanted to give them a plug because it is such a high quality course at a reasonable price that it should be in the rotation.

Cypress Lakes is decent and reasonably priced. Blackhorse is nice but at $80 weekday and $100+ on weekend, not worthy of that. Longwood and Sterling (Houston National) are not worth any fee in my opinion.

If I had a reasonable private club with 10 minutes of the house, I'd be intrigued. But it would have to be better than those options I have now.
agsalaska
AG
That's too bad about Longwood. Used to be a good course
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
agsalaska said:

That's too bad about Longwood. Used to be a good course
Longwood used to be a regular in our rotation. Then they changed ownership and discontinued the existing Palmer Plan. Course simultaneously got a lot more expensive and the conditions went WAY downhill. Bad combo. I play a tournament there once per year but that's my only exposure. Seems to be improving. Always had a great layout; can't comment on normal pace of play (though, I would guess it's not good).

Blackhorse North is a fun course but not worth the $$$. South course is VERY ho-hum.

I really hate Cypress Lakes. Everyone has that course, this one is mine.

Haven't played Houston National in quite a while but the condition was never very good. I've heard it's improved. It always seemed like it had potential.

Windrose is a pretty decent track for the price (particularly when compared to nearby options) and I always enjoy Glennloch. I think Glenn gets a bad rap on this board.

My favorite public course is Traditions; but, it's a bit out east and I have not played GCOH so I cannot compare.
HouAggie
AG
Not sure where you are in Cypress, but have you looked into Pine Forest? Could be pretty close to your 10 min req.
cjsag94
AG
I'm north of 290. Pine Forest is a frustrating, stop light filled 30-40 minute drive for me.

Houston Oaks is close, but way out of my budget.
07fta07
AG
Hearthstone? It's also clubcorp so gives access to a bunch of other courses.
Oknows
AG
cjsag94 said:

That sounds like what Longwood golf in Cypress did a number of years ago. Ridiculously cheap, throw in beer and food, and just fill the course as much as you can. They didn't care how long it took or who it pissed off. Last straw was a weekday round, tee off at 10:00 AM. Hour and half later on the 4th hole.

They just gave us a refund and sent us on our way. Eventually, this model will kill a course to anyone who actually wants decent golf.
Used to love that course. Stopped playing there for this exact reason.
jja79
AG
My son's HS team is headquartered at Gleannloch and in the past several months the conditions have really improved. The bunkers are iffy but fairways and greens are much better.

It can stack up with traffic from time to time.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
khaos288 said:

Step 1. Work from home
Step 2. Log on early for east coast team mates
Step 3. Log off with east coast team mates
Step 4. Daily 4:00 tee time

You don't have kids do you.

180 rounds a year pre kids. Now 20if I'm lucky? With only 3 this year due to the second sex trophy coming along. Somehow I'm keeping my handicap below 5 but it's a struggle
Poot
Agreed re: HMR (and most everyone's reviews, except for Windrose but that's a whole orher thread).

The only downfall is in the last few months, someone left of 15 green chose to get the loudest damn bird(s?) that I've ever heard. Unreal.

North of 290... with 99 available, that puts Woodlands Panther and Oaks on the outer edge of 20-25 mins, doesn't it? It's just hard to justify when HMR is so good... and Panther is public.
cjsag94
AG
I heard that bird for the first time last weekend! Unbelievable how obnoxious that thing is.

If I had a club within 5-10 minutes where I could stop in to practice, or even play a few holes, and it was a real country club feel...I'd consider joining. But even a 20-25 minute drive means 40-50 round trip. With wife and 2 kids, I'd never do that.

Now I use Cypress Lakes for driving range and putting, Blackhorse for chipping practice, and HMR for full rounds. The only thing I'm missing is the culture/atmosphere/relationships of a private club and the opportunity to play partial rounds when time allows.

Back to original point of this thread, to me, that is what is needed to warranty joining a club. Very few people, in my experience, get their money's worth vs just paying as you go. But if you place value on some component other than costs, and convenience to the club isn't a speed bump, then I think it's worthwhile. But very few people save money by joining a golf club.
khaos288
AG
Nope haha
The Grinder (99)
AG
One reason I am a member is because I don't have time to play full rounds often. I love that I can go out at the end of the day and play 3, 6, 9, whatever.

That wouldn't be possible at the public course in town
tamu2009
AG
I was a member out there right after Club Corp bought them and loved my time out there.Thinking about joining again in the next 12-18 months. What kind of initiation/dues are they charging these days?

How did the club house and course renovations turn out? When I left, they had just really started in on the club house and moving 18 green to enlarge the practice facility.
jja79
AG
Having a golf membership to save money might be possible. A country club membership shouldn't be looked at the same way.

As has been mentioned the other facilities your family might use, being able to play just a few holes or not need a tee time are hard to quantify benefits.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.