Vaquero Country Club stories

14,494 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by CashinOut
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long post i know-ill post more stories if y'all like reading them

My post on the other thread about Vaquero got me thinking yall may enjoy some stories from the upper tier of golf clubs. No humble brags here...i worked outside on the range and we weren't allowed to accept tips.

I worked at Vaquero all through high school. My first time out was for the member guest and they needed extra caddies. I played at a high school down the road so we were asked to come help. The guy I caddied for was a lot of fun...he took a cart and i just rode with him for the entire round. He asked for a some Budweiser before we teed off and they only had budlight so the course sent someone to get this man some Budweiser. They delivered on the 4th hole or so. I spent much of the day quoting caddy shack and having a good time. The round ended and this guy gives me $400 in 20s. I'm thinking....i need to get a job here.

Our one rule at Vaquero is "if a member asks for it and its legal then we do it". As an outside service we had the keys to 3 BMW 7 series and one of the X5 SUVs. These were used to run errands, pick up members from airport, pick up their kids from karate, basically anything that they asked us to do.

Members could call the club and ask for a gallon of milk at 2am or ask for the club to plan a vacation to Hawaii...literally anything goes

Drew Bledsoe wanted his Mercedes in California for training camp so he asked the club to help. One of my buddies jobs was to drive his car to California stay during training camp then drive it back when he was done.

Some members wanted to hit ProVs as range balls and some wanted the new Callaway ball....problem was solved when they just did both and every night we would pick the range, clean the balls, then hand sort the range balls into different trash cans for the next day.

Tiger came during the summer because Hank Haney was a member. We had a Dr. Woods that's a member but i was working the range one day and I hear in my ear piece "Mr Woods is on his way to the range". I say "dont you mean Dr. Woods?"...."no.....Mr Woods". I meet Tiger at his cart and carry his bag down for him. Talked a bit while cleaning his clubs as he warmed up...very cool process to watch. He lost a long drive contest and had to give one of our guys a pair of his shoes out of his Buick.

Tiger was treated the same as any member of any age....i think that's why he liked it. He shows up and is put in a que just like everyone else and he must play with a member someone on staff

Fred Funk was hitting on the range one day and asked me "how long is it to that flag"....I say "242 yards". He looks down at his driver then back at me "are you sure?" "Yes sir I laser'd it this morning".....he just smiled and shook his head...wow

Mark Teixeira and 3 other rangers showed up to play but Mark had to leave on number 9...this left them playing without a member. My boss radios me "you have your clubs with you? Always. "Ok, go meet the Teixeira group on 10 your playing today". Oh and Teixeira was carrying the entire driving range with a fade as he warmed up...i was measuring about 340 carry for him.

ok...post is getting long...if yall want any more stories ill post more later

WhoopN06
I think i can speak safely for the rest of the board. We will want more stories later.
jarrett
AG
GIF Reactor
AG
Definitely more!
Quinn
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good stories. Keep them coming!

What if someone called the club at 2am asking for zip ties, a tarp, bleach, and a shovel?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Awesome
'03ag
DannyDuberstein said:

Good stories. Keep them coming!

What if someone called the club at 2am asking for zip ties, a tarp, bleach, and a shovel?
"What size zip ties Mr. Jonas?"
DannyDuberstein
AG
"Maybe something that might fit the wrists of someone about the size of Mrs. Jonas?"
Aggie369
AG
Ok ok...a few more

Discovery land used to be the group that ran Vaquero. The guys that ran Vaquero (Abbott and Paulson) are the guys that branched off and did Bluejack with Tiger. The head pro now at Miramont (Rob Yee) used to work at Vaquero-awesome guy

Ill start explaining the effort we went into on the customer service side: We are expected to know everyone's name so everyone is greeted personally. Normally the valet guys recognize the car when the member drives up but if its a guest or new member then we gotta do some homework. The valet guys would open up the glove box to find the insurance card in the car. (Everyone on staff has a radio and an ear piece that goes up under your shirt with a mic that is also under your shirt). The valet guy calls into the club house letting them know the name of the member or guest who is walking in. Then valet radios to the guys working downstairs with the clubs and carts so we bring the bag up and on a cart so when the member walks out their cart is ready. The guys working in the cart staging area let the guys working the range know when the member is on their way to warm up. So anywhere the member goes they are greeted by name. There are no tee times at Vaquero so the guys on the range keep everyone in order on who got there first and how long they typically want to warm up. As the member leaves the range we let the guy on the first tee know who is coming over. You cant tee off on the first hole until the group in front of you is on the green.

We weren't allowed to sit down while we were on the clock, had to wear dress shoes, wear slacks, had to have matching belt....if not you were sent home. If we were going to another area while we were working...say from the range to the club house we jogged. If no one was hitting on the range and the balls were picked then we picked up broken tees. If tees were picked up we picked up the divots and any cut grass laying on the hitting area.

Members would have a profile made how they like certain drinks made, favorite Gatorade flavor, etc....when a member orders a drink they are made how they like them.

When I was there there weren't menus needed-members just ordered what they wanted and the kitchen made it

Every day we laser every pin and use magnets at every hitting bay to chart distances to pins.

One day Terry Bradshaw shows up at like 730am to hit balls and play. He was my favorite member. He parks his cart and i grab his clubs. He gets out and he's got a fat dip in, his shin is bleeding, and he has a cut on his forehead. I say "what happened to you?" He said he ran into his tractor that morning and cut his shin and then hit his head on the garage door. Rough morning. Later that day I was driving down number 9....i see a cart driving at me with the drivers leg sticking straight out. As i get closer i see that Bradshaw has locked in and staring at me....he yells "Let's joust!" He wanted to joust me with our legs pointed at each other....he would have crushed me.

I got caught sitting once downstairs in the cart barn. Boss walks in (I'd never seen him down there) "What are doing?" I stand up..."nothing left to do". Laundry done? Yep. Carts clean? Yep. Cold towels folded for groups finishing on 18? Yes sir......he pauses....."did you go through all the bags we have in storage and check to see if all of the clubs have labels and if the addresses are up to date? Damn.....no....brb lol

My first few weeks at the club my boss asks me what driver I'm playing. I tell him the old Cleveland launcher but i wanted the Cleveland 460 comp but haven't found it left handed yet. 2 weeks later he calls me up to the club house.....left handed 460 comp sitting by his desk. He goes "here ya go...found it" free driver....quick way to build loyalty.

One night at like 6pm this girl walks up tome on the driving range...maybe 6 years old. "May I have a cherry popsicle?" Of course. I radio the kitchen....no cherry popsicle....kitchen is going to check walk in freezer....none....someone checks the 2nd restaurant.....none....someone drives out to check the comfort stations.(more on these later)...no luck.... Boss hears us trying to find this dang cherry popsicle and chimes in. "Someone take the 7 series and go to Albertsons and get this girl a cherry popsicle please". Done...be back in 20 minutes

Comfort stations...so at vaquero they have these small buildings with big barn doors. The back are bathrooms but open up the barn doors and you have candy, snacks, fruit, chips, drinks, ice cream...you name it....already all paid for with monthly dues so just take what you want. If they dont have what you want....just ask for it...we will get it.

We had a kids camp one summer....course is empty...no one on the range...just a bunch of 5-8 year olds. My boss walk over....can u drive the range picker over here and just drive it in circles like 20-30 yards away so these kids can hit golf balls at you? Head drops....lol.....sure

Husband and wife show up....new members...wife is hitting balls and wants a new hat. Boss gets on radio...can you bring out all of the ladies hats we have in every color to the driving range? Sure can. She picks out a hat...."do you have matching gloves?".....ill be right back (with all of the gloves lol)

The magic of customer service....it takes effort but people loved vaquero for the service provided
Aggie369
AG
Lol....well the Jonas brothers are members so that might be awkward.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Quote:

We had a kids camp one summer....course is empty...no one on the range...just a bunch of 5-8 year olds. My boss walk over....can u drive the range picker over here and just drive it in circles like 20-30 yards away so these kids can hit golf balls at you? Head drops....lol.....sure
Aggie369
AG
Lol yeah...going from cleaning Tigers wedges one day to that kept you in your place
DannyDuberstein
AG
Any backstory to how you got the job there, or was it just the caddie help that gave you an in?
Aggie369
AG
The manger of the outside service guys played golf at southlake as well and he was just helping me out. It was pretty incredible the amount of people that stayed there....we didn't make much and no tips but people loved the atmosphere and culture of that place. All of us took pride in all the tiny details and what service we could provide.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
Good stuff. Back before Vaquero when Trophy Club was the nicest place around, I was a lowly bag boy as well. We had a few famous members, including Terry Bradshaw. He was great - one of the favorites. Sounds like the guy hasn't changed...which is fantastic to hear.
NomadicAggie
AG
I'm in the process of moving to the area. The neighborhood I'm moving into backs up to Vaquero (too poor to live inside). If I walk to the end of my street the course is right there. I've only seen in driving by so far, but would love to play it one day. Sounds amazing.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Aggie369 said:

If they dont have what you want....just ask for it...we will get it.
F'in A.
Aggie369
AG
Yeah it was cool to watch something so small become an instant priority. That approach to customer service has served me well now that I'm in sales
Enviroag02
AG
Aggie369 said:

I worked at Vaquero all through high school. My first time out was for the member guest and they needed extra caddies. I played at a high school down the road so we were asked to come help. The guy I caddied for was a lot of fun...he took a cart and i just rode with him for the entire round. He asked for a some Budweiser before we teed off and they only had budlight so the course sent someone to get this man some Budweiser. They delivered on the 4th hole or so. I spent much of the day quoting caddy shack and having a good time. The round ended and this guy gives me $400 in 20s. I'm thinking....i need to get a job here.

Our one rule at Vaquero is "if a member asks for it and its legal then we do it". As an outside service we had the keys to 3 BMW 7 series and one of the X5 SUVs. These were used to run errands, pick up members from airport, pick up their kids from karate, basically anything that they asked us to do.

Members could call the club and ask for a gallon of milk at 2am or ask for the club to plan a vacation to Hawaii...literally anything goes

Drew Bledsoe wanted his Mercedes in California for training camp so he asked the club to help. One of my buddies jobs was to drive his car to California stay during training camp then drive it back when he was done.

Some members wanted to hit ProVs as range balls and some wanted the new Callaway ball....problem was solved when they just did both and every night we would pick the range, clean the balls, then hand sort the range balls into different trash cans for the next day.

Tiger came during the summer because Hank Haney was a member. We had a Dr. Woods that's a member but i was working the range one day and I hear in my ear piece "Mr Woods is on his way to the range". I say "dont you mean Dr. Woods?"...."no.....Mr Woods". I meet Tiger at his cart and carry his bag down for him. Talked a bit while cleaning his clubs as he warmed up...very cool process to watch. He lost a long drive contest and had to give one of our guys a pair of his shoes out of his Buick.

Tiger was treated the same as any member of any age....i think that's why he liked it. He shows up and is put in a que just like everyone else and he must play with a member someone on staff

Fred Funk was hitting on the range one day and asked me "how long is it to that flag"....I say "242 yards". He looks down at his driver then back at me "are you sure?" "Yes sir I laser'd it this morning".....he just smiled and shook his head...wow

Mark Teixeira and 3 other rangers showed up to play but Mark had to leave on number 9...this left them playing without a member. My boss radios me "you have your clubs with you? Always. "Ok, go meet the Teixeira group on 10 your playing today". Oh and Teixeira was carrying the entire driving range with a fade as he warmed up...i was measuring about 340 carry for him.

ok...post is getting long...if yall want any more stories ill post more later

As of last Saturday, the range balls are still Pro V1s and this is current stable of pool vehicles:

Aggie369
AG
Que the Jurassic Park John Hammond gif

"We spared no expense"
Enviroag02
AG
Aggie369, I'm curious how guest golfing is handled. Are there green fees for guests? I went with a vendor who is the member so I'm not sure if he paid my way ahead of time or it's covered in his dues. How many guests can one member host and how frequently?
5C
AG
Keep 'em comin'!
jja79
AG
Not Vaquero related, but high end I suppose. I'm fortunate to belong to a club with a six figure initiation fee (my membership number is 2 so I predate the six figures).

We have quite a few members from out of town including one guy from Austin who has his pilot land his helicopter on the number 10 tee box and drop him off when he plays. He doesn't play often but it's funny to watch it unfold.

My 15 year old son works 2 days a week on the bag drop, driving range, etc and he's told me stories of guys tossing him a couple of $20's and the keys to their Bentley, Maserati, etc and telling him to park it. He has no drivers license mind you.

One day recently he and I were putting on number 13 and a couple pulls up to the 17 tee box which is nearby and they both start chatting him up. They obviously have accents so I mention I've never seen them before and he tells me they are from Australia and come one week every 3 months.

At demo day in April I'm hitting next to a guy and we're talking back and forth about the clubs, brands, etc so when I finish I go over to introduce myself, we shake hands and he tells me he's Neil Bush.
Ezra Brooks
AG
jja79 - how did the transition out there at "The Clubs at" Houston Oaks work?

I never made it out there when it was Tennwood (sp?) or Houston Oaks before "The Clubs at" was added and it was bought by the current ownership.

What was the membership like before they took it uber-private? How many from that era are still out there?

The target member for the old set-up is way different than the target member now, I'm just interested in how that transition took place since it doesn't happen too often I would assume.
Aggie369
AG
A guest fee is applied to the monthly dues. Monthly dues were like $1,000 but doesn't include food, alcohol, etc
Aggie369
AG
Ha...im running out...scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is

A big white guy asked me if I could get all his clubs re gripped for him. I said of course....what's the last name?........Bledsoe. I shake my head in embarrassment...sorry Mr Bledsoe...you're a lot bigger than I thought. That guy is enormous.

Hank Haney plays fast but always shot in the 80s which I was surprised with.

Conrad Schindler's family were members....quite the place to practice when you're in high school

Same with Ty Dunlap...he played at a&m for a bit

The greens keeper at the time I was there came from Augusta.

Justin Leonard was a member...high maintenance at times but he would drop off all his extra nike gear for all of us guys that worked outside.

Ben Crane was super nice....played a lot with Bledsoe

Todd Hamilton was not a good ball striker...he would stay into the night hitting balls. We cant leave until all members are off the golf facilities...checks watch again

Clooney and Brad Pitt showed up one day but I wasnt working

O'meara and Tiger took some jabs at phil... joking that Tiger was scared of him....followed by lots of laughs from Tiger.

I got to play free on mondays...nice perk

Hunter Mahan was a member for a bit...nice guy...kept to himself

I'm cleaning this guys clubs as hes warming up. Bull shi tting with him. Send him to first tee with some other guys. Boss walks over..."how was he?" How was who? "Mr Cleveland". Oh....um hes fine...do you know him? "That's roger cleveland....he made your wedges"....lol oh *****...yea he was good, u gotta tell me this stuff earlier
jja79
AG
It was pretty blue collar when I found it. Waller boys mainly. When the big money people bought the property they made their plans, got renderings of what they had in mind and what they intended to do. I knew something reliable about 2 of the parties from the banking business so they didn't have to sell me. I would say there's still probably 25 of us left from that group that originally joined.

I'm not their target member at this point, which is fine. Actually I like it this way. The majority of the membership are members at other clubs, in town and out of town. I know one guy who is a member at 18 clubs around the world. Given that I seldom even consider making a tee time. I'm dropping my son off to play at 7:30 friday morning so I did check the tee sheet to make sure he got off first and not behind anyone else. For this friday there are 11 tee times taken.

For a period of time they continued to allow some public play but as the several fortunes that were spent on the clubhouse, gun club, new golf course, etc were being spent they went fully private 7 or so years ago.

It would make a fun Texags golf outing. I'm not paying mind you but I can get people admitted through the security post.

The gun club has been a great addition.

LHIOB
AG
Aggie369 the Bradshaw story was always my fav but them about Bledsoe almost flipping a cart
Aggie369
AG
Thread bump requested in another post....here ya go

Couple more stories...

We ran low on ice for a party one night....boss tosses me keys to BMW X5 and hands me a credit card. Go fill this thing with ice. I bought 300 pounds of ice lol

At the member guest we had chefs every 3 holes making specialty dishes....I had wild boar French dip. They also gave away free rescue clubs to everyone. Bass boats were set up on the par 3s for hole in ones

One night they had boat races for members...the little remote control boats with real motors. They set up a "track" in the lake and had big digital timers for everyone to see. A crowd started forming and my job quickly changed to "valet". That's right...I had to valet carts for people and make a system up so I could assign carts to members so they could leave their belongings in the cart but not have to walk to go get them.

Fred Funk came up behind us one day and asked to play through....ummm... yes...yes you can Mr Funk

Aggie369
AG
Bradshaw was on the range one day....a giant chew in. Like a gross amount chew. It seemed like he would spit like every 5 minutes like when his mouth was full lol. I was standing to his right. He was struggling on the range...blades, chunks, off the toe....he really chilly dips one bad. I turn and say "got a hold of that one" I turn back to talk with the other member....then BAM Terry Bradshaw punches me in the arm for the worst dead arm I've recieved. His hands are still up ready to box. He says "let's go" lol...I say I've got no chance mr Bradshaw. Hes a great guy...just a normal dude
JYDog90
AG
My college girlfriend's family lived in Cottonwood at Las Colinas and were members there. I would play with her dad every time I came up.

Bradshaw was a member there at that time (late 80s). Bradshaw was playing the hole next to us and a Marshall drove up and terry flagged him down. He pulls his driver out from behind his bag in 2 pieces and says, "hey, would you please have them reshaft my driver?" "Of course, Terry." The Marshall gets into his cart and is about to drive off and terry stops him and says, "on second thiught, these aren't worth a **** either." And he pulls two other clubs out of his bag and snaps them over his knee and hands them to the Marshall.
Mr.Bond
AG
Incredible stories. Thanks for sharing
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

merkman03
AG
This is hilarious. I am currently employed at Vaquero. Been at Vaquero since 2020. I'm also a current student so I only work summers now. That place has the same stories. Just the names change.

Back when I worked in golf ops, I carried George Bush's clubs down. He proceeded to have an awesome conversation with me and as I'm walking his clubs up, he goes, "I know you're too shy to ask, but give your phone to one of my secret service guys and grab a picture with me." One of the coolest moments of my life because you never ask for photos with members. No one believed me that I didn't ask.

I currently work in the Men's Locker Room and the **** that goes on there is pretty awesome to see for a regular college student
Aggie369
AG
That's awesome lol

Is the course open yet?

I met some of the most random famous people out there...I just remember looking forward to every day wondering who I was gonna meet out there.

Network the best you can and ask for job/life/career advice. Get contact info if you can....people are more willing to help than you think
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.