Ryder Cup -- who would you pick as of today

12,688 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WhoopN06
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bryson just punched his ticket to Paris. Last spot goes to whoever is hottest. Finau, Horschel, Cantlay, and even Wise in contention. Finau ironically is only one who hasn't won this year out of that group.
Pahdz
Out of that group how do you not take Finau? Am I missing something? I also don't doubt his competitive spirit.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Right now, today, yes I'd pick him, but over the next few weeks what if one of the others jumps him? Last pick isn't until after the Tour Championship so still some time for it to play out.
_lefraud_
AG
Finau is the only of the group that makes tons of birdies AND eagles, and he's played great in the Majors. I don't care that he hasn't won this season.
ORAggieFan
How/why is Furyk the captain. When I think of him I'm not thinking leader. You've got Fred Couples with Presidents Cup experience and I'd think more well respected and many other options. Seems strange.
Old Tom Morris
So who is dropping out of the top 8? Hopefully Webb Simpson is now out. Do not want that guy on this team
ORAggieFan
Old Tom Morris said:

So who is dropping out of the top 8? Hopefully Webb Simpson is now out. Do not want that guy on this team

No one. Those 8 are locked already.
Old Tom Morris
Not sure why i thought it was open. I think you gotta go Tiger, Phil, Finau, and Dechambeau
BreNayPop
AG
Dechambeau played stupidly well this week.

Hope he holds up for the ryder cup
98Ag99Grad
AG
Fowler out again this week. He gonna be ready for Paris?
WhoopN06
Question. I'm not sure how I would answer. Would you rather have Rick or Finau?
Pahdz
WhoopN06 said:

Question. I'm not sure how I would answer. Would you rather have Rick or Finau?
I've gotta go Finau I think
LHIOB
AG
No Laying Up has a really good Oral History of the Ryder Cup from 1999-2016 pod.

So many story lines that I forgot. And so many dudes that I forgot were ever on the team. Well worth a listen!
98Ag99Grad
AG
LHIOB said:

No Laying Up has a really good Oral History of the Ryder Cup from 1999-2016 pod.

So many story lines that I forgot. And so many dudes that I forgot were ever on the team. Well worth a listen!

Yeah who could ever forget that vaunted team of Vaughn Taylor, JJ Henry, and Brett Wetterich in 2006.
_lefraud_
AG
Tiger and DeChambeau paired together today in Boston. I'm guessing they'll be paired together come Ryder Cup.
LHIOB
AG
Id bet Phil and Bryson and Tiger and JT
_lefraud_
AG
Tiger and Koepka paired together today, and Spieth is playing with Finau. I'm not sure we will see any surprises tomorrow by Furyk, as I've got to think he will name Tiger, DeChambeau and Finau.
HouAggie
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Tiger and Koepka paired together today, and Spieth is playing with Finau. I'm not sure we will see any surprises tomorrow by Furyk, as I've got to think he will name Tiger, DeChambeau and Finau.

That would be a surprise to me
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, Phil makes more sense than Finau (right now).

Fowler is the wildcard. If he can't go, then it would suck to replace him last minute. Maybe Furyk tells Phil, I'm going to take you, but we need to wait and see about Fowler.

So Phil will be ready to roll whether he's truly the last pick in a few weeks, or if he's replacing Fowler. Either way, the FIGJAM makes the squad.
Old Tom Morris
Phil, Tiger, Dechambeau today. Finau later.

I don't think he waits to pick Phil or Tiger, because leaving either out right now will kick off controversy, questions, and a bit of a zoo for the next few weeks. No reason to mess with that distraction.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Well no surprises yesterday with the 3 picked and Finau looks to have locked up the last spot with solid play the last 2 weeks. We should know the Euro picks shortly.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Euro picks: Poulter, Garcia, Stenson, and Casey. Casey is probably a little surprising but with 5 rookies making the team Bjorn is going with vets as his picks. Wallace, who won last week and twice more this year, is left off along with strong players from the last time in Cabrerra-Bello and Pieters.
LHIOB
AG
Odd picks. I figured they go with youth since they are home.
Forum Troll
AG
The only odd pick imo is Sergio, he's played poorly this year. I'd have picked the other Spaniard.
Old Tom Morris
Hard to pass over that 19-11-7 Ryder Cup record. Even when things haven't been going well for his game, he almost always seems to have it ready to go in the RC. Between getting married and getting the major monkey off his back, I guess I'm not surprised to see his game slip. But the RC may be the antidote to get things refocused/recharged. Plus, they've got a ****ton of rookies on the Euro team. As rough of a year as it's been, I still think that's a pick you have to make.

That said, between so many Euro rookies + Sergio having a down year, this year is ripe for the US to jump on these guys. Hope they can do it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The surprise pick to me is Casey. he won earlier this year but has disappeared as of late. Pieters is playing well right now and paired with Rory last time for an outstanding team.
Harry Stone
AG
i think they're smart picks. going with experience, similar to Furyk picking Phil, who hasn't really played all that well lately, with the exception of one round
Harry Stone
AG
I hope Furyk only uses Tiger in the 4ball matches during team play. With his inconsistencies off the tee, it puts a lot of pressure on his partner in the 4somes, and Tiger is probably the greatest player to hit miracle shots from trouble.
bagger05
AG
Totally agree.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, his 4somes record is horrendous (4ball isn't great either), and I don't expect it to be any better given the state of his driving. Plus he's an old man with an old back now. I don't think he needs to be playing 36 on any day anyway.
ORAggieFan
I know the 4th spot is likely Finau's, but Xander has to be up there and is gunning for it.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. I think the only way Furyk even remotely considers taking someone other than Finau is if Schaufele or Kisner win, and Finau finishes way out of contention. Even then, I still think Finau has the better overall body of work and would get the spot.
HouAggie
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Between getting married and getting the major monkey off his back, I guess I'm not surprised to see his game slip.

I think the club change is the biggest factor.
RigsTx
AG
Furyk picks Finau to round out the team.

bagger05
AG
No surprise. He's had a great year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.