Ryder Cup -- who would you pick as of today

12,656 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WhoopN06
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very consistent in the playoffs and all around solid player. Team is set. Go win it now.
LHIOB
AG
Speith misses the Tour Championship
Pahdz
I mean I hope I'm wrong, but I think Finau is gonna ball out in the Ryder Cup. After that ankle twist at Augusta you know that dude is a gamer.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I can't think of a worse pick than Finau for this year. The Euros are known for hitting fairways off the tee and will set up their home course to play to that strength. It's a no-brainer to counter the American length off the tee. Finau bombs the ball but his driving accuracy is horrible. He's going to frustrate whoever he's partnered with if they're having to hit out of the rough every time he has the tee box. I'd be surprised if he breaks even on points for the week. I hope I'm wrong.
_lefraud_
AG
So who would you have selected?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Driving accuracy is a pretty misguided and poor stat.
Old Tom Morris
LOL. The guy finished in the Top 10 in 3 of 4 majors, 40% of the events he entered this year (11 of 27), and 6 out of his last 9 events.

These bombers - Keopka, DJ, Justin Thomas, Bubba W, Finau, etc. all hit fairways in the mid to high 50% range. He's not an outlier on this team. He fits right in with a large part of the team. Any number of choices to pair with him and feel like they're playing their own game.

You'd be effing nuts to leave him off. Overthinking it to the extreme.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I'm not sure who'd be a better choice. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. We will see.
_lefraud_
AG
Finau is a better pick than FIGJAM or even Tiger. So yea, I don't get the hate for Finau.

Having said that, what's the best way to handle rookies? Throw them out there first thing Friday morning, Friday afternoon? Or wait until Saturday?

I'd lean towards having them start with fourball on Friday afternoon, unless you're banking on using them for foursomes, so you might as well throw them out there Friday morning.
_lefraud_
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I'm not sure who'd be a better choice. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. We will see.

So in one hour you went from "I can not think of a worse pick" to not being able to name ONE other player? LOLZ
Old Tom Morris
How about John Daly, Shaun Micheel, Paul Goydos, and we'll go dig up Chris Riley from wherever he's coaching the golf team. There are 4.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Finau is a better pick than FIGJAM or even Tiger. So yea, I don't get the hate for Finau.

Having said that, what's the best way to handle rookies? Throw them out there first thing Friday morning, Friday afternoon? Or wait until Saturday?

I'd lean towards having them start with fourball on Friday afternoon, unless you're banking on using them for foursomes, so you might as well throw them out there Friday morning.
Where'd you get that I said I hated him? I don't think he was the best pick.
Old Tom Morris
When people say "I can't think of a worse pick than ____", that generally qualifies as hate. And usually they can generate one name that they'd prefer. Just sayin.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

So in one hour you went from "I can not think of a worse pick" to not being able to name ONE other player? LOLZ
I haven't really dug into the other guys stats. Off the top of my head I think Zach Johnson or Kevin Kisner would be good choices based if their current form is good. If Finau contributes in a meaningful manner, I'd be happy to retract my opinion.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

When people say "I can't think of a worse pick than ____", that generally qualifies as hate. And usually they can generate one name that they'd prefer. Just sayin.
It's not hate at all. I just don't like the pick. Just sayin'.
12thMan2012
AG
Finau is 17th in strokes gained of the tee, and 14th tee to green. He may not do well, but it won't be because of his ball striking or tee ball.

Compared to other potential picks:
Xander is 58th off the tee, 68th tee to green
Kisner is 121st off the tee, 163rd tee to green
Kuchar 151st off the tee, 85th tee to green

Finau was far and away the best option from a ball striking standpoint.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, Xander is the only one you remotely consider, but I think it's still a no-brainer for Finau. Kisner and Kuchar both fell off this summer. Kisner showed up decently for the majors, but was pretty lackluster otherwise going back to March. And Kuchar started missing quite a few cuts this summer, out of the norm for him. Neither qualified for the Tour Championship (or were even very close).

I really like Finau's game and how it fits with the guys that have been dominating the tour. And he has been rock effin steady for the past few months.

In general, I'm not a fan of overthinking captains picks or pairings. Put your best guys on it and have them go ****in ball. Be aggressive and have some fun. I think they tanked some of the RCs in the past 20 years because they turned it into a rubik's cube. Go have fun, make some birdies, and beat up on some dirty euros.
WhoopN06
Finau is going to be a major Ryder cup dud.
birdman
Finau is the obvious choice. All the other suggestions don't measure up to 2018 Finau.

Resumes aside, I'd pick him over Mickelson and Woods.
12thMan2012
AG
He for sure deserves to be on the team ahead of Phil, who shouldn't be anywhere near the team and hopefully only plays singles. He hasn't played good since February,

Tiger is statistically the best ball striker on the planet right now, and he is only better on courses that take driver out of his hand (like Le Golf)

Should've been Dechambeau, Tiger, Finau and Xander, hopefully they don't try to force Phil into too many matches, or the good ole boy network might cost us the Ryder Cup with what will be the most talented team we've maybe ever had.
LHIOB
AG
With a W Finau can win the FedEx Cup but yall dont want him on the Ryder Cup Team?!

In fourball he will make birdies in bunches. If he sits foursomes who cares?!
WhoopN06
That's my big problem with Finau. He hasn't won. He's played well all year but he's not a winner. Yes he could win the Tour championship and that would hinge my opinion but he's been a back door top 10 machine.

He's not really had to deal with any pressure. The Ryder cup is all about pressure.
Old Tom Morris
Americans who have won a non-secondary event in 2018 but are not on the RC team:

Michael Kim
Kevin Na
Aaron Wise
Andrew Landry
Ted Potter Jr
Gary Woodland
Patton Kizzire
Keegan Bradley

Most of them were back in January/February. See anything that excites you there? I do not. That's 8 guys with a total of 27 Top 10's between them, with the most having 5.

Give me Finau and his boring 11 Top 10's (many of which are recent) all day and twice on Sunday vs. that group.
Mr.Bond
AG
Pahdz said:

I mean I hope I'm wrong, but I think Finau is gonna ball out in the Ryder Cup. After that ankle twist at Augusta you know that dude is a gamer.

Why do you hope you're wrong
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Pahdz
Jesus Christ you're my personal grammar advisor this week. I drank too much in Boston
Old Tom Morris
Alcohol is the best truth serum. Effin traitor.
Pahdz
Old Tom Morris said:

Alcohol is the best truth serum. Effin traitor.

Hardly, F the Euros
Mr.Bond
AG
Pahdz said:

Jesus Christ you're my personal grammar advisor this week. I drank too much in Boston
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

LHIOB
AG
LHIOB said:

Id bet Phil and Bryson and Tiger and JT

I was 1/2 right
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

The Euros are known for hitting fairways off the tee and will set up their home course to play to that strength. It's a no-brainer to counter the American length off the tee.

Chipotlemonger said:

Driving accuracy is a pretty misguided and poor stat.

This seems relevant.
WhoopN06

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.