Smylie Kaufman

13,646 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dead last in the Travelers. 8 over par after 10 holes. I assume he'll be a Realtor as soon as his exemption is up.

How does a guy that young and seemingly talented completely lose it?
The Lost
jja79 said:

Dead last in the Travelers. 8 over par after 10 holes. I assume he'll be a Realtor as soon as his exemption is up.

How does a guy that young and seemingly talented completely lose it?
Well if he didn't blow all his money on spring break, his 3.5 mil in earnings should get him by for a while. Just may not be invited to future spring breaks.
jja79
AG
A young guy living it up and expecting that kind of earnings to continue could go through a nest egg before you know it.
Aggie1391
I just wonder how he deals with it mentally. When you've only made one cut in 2018, it can't be easy to go out there every week and keep trying.
jja79
AG
And his buds are set for life and winning big tournaments, getting huge endorsement deals and such.
Mr.Bond
AG
I've heard he smells like corn dogs
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ezra Brooks
AG
I hope his brand new wife doesn't go all Lucas Glover's wife on him.
_lefraud_
AG
If I was him I'd look into taking leave, or make up an injury to save exemptions. He needs some time off, lots of time off, or maybe some time on the web.com tour or go to Europe. Change of scenery or something, cause showing up on the big boy tour week in, week out is clearly not working.
jja79
AG
Europe sounds like a good deal.
The Milkman
AG
_lefraud_ said:

If I was him I'd look into taking leave, or make up an injury to save exemptions. He needs some time off, lots of time off, or maybe some time on the web.com tour or go to Europe. Change of scenery or something, cause showing up on the big boy tour week in, week out is clearly not working.
He may have a forced trip to the Web or Europe soon regardless
WhoopN06
Has a pretty distinguished gallery.

https://instagr.am/p/BkTOVJ0A-EF
KidDoc
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Holy crap that is harsh! I hope they are friends and JT is just messing with him otherwise man that is painful.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ervin Burrell
AG
KidDoc said:

WhoopN06 said:

Holy crap that is harsh! I hope they are friends and JT is just messing with him otherwise man that is painful.
I believe JT, Fowler, and Spieth were all groomsmen in his wedding.
_lefraud_
AG
That clip is from a tournament in Japan...
Yesterday
AG
He's dead f'ing last I'm driving accuracy. You can lose ball striking, short game and even putting and still make cuts. You can't do jack **** if you can't hit the fairway and you're always worried about going OB.

A pro at our club who played on the Canadian tour and who occasionally plays with Steven Bowditch(who also lost his way) told me that losing your driver is the worst thing that can happen and it's happened to Steven and Smylie.
_lefraud_
AG
Which is the same with amateurs and guys that can't break 100. If you can't get off the tee box, then your game from inside 50 yards doesn't mean jack.
Ag81Golf
What it takes to be on tour is way beyond our comprehension. These guys go from bent to Zoysa to Mini Verde, etc. Then they have to deal with sponsers, BSC wives and girlfriends. You get the idea. Good luck to all the guys chasing their dreams!
rosco511
AG
There is a long list of studs who lost it and never found it again.
JYDog90
AG
Take Roy McAvoy for instance.
jonj101
Ty Tryon?
Tom Hagen
AG
Good thing that Smylie is in the field this week. Otherwise, Martin Piller would be in last place.
JR Ewingford
Played with Smylie at Colonial. He was all over the place.
AustinCountyAg
I genuinely feel bad for the dude. Having your best friends be at the top of their games and you at the very bottom knowing in the back of your head that your time on tour is very limited if something doesn't change. Quickly.

I mentioned it before but I followed Smylie at the HO this year for several holes (only me) and the dude was spraying it everywhere. The worst part about it is you could just tell onhis face that he was defeated. It's the look someone has when they are desperately trying to hit good shots but they have no idea what to do to fix things. It was very sad to watch in person.
AustinCountyAg
In regards to him playing on the Web he would still get smoked out there right now. He's putting up some gigantic numbers right now.
Swollen Thumb
AG
How does a tour level player just forget how they used to swing a club and regress to the extent that is implied here for Smylie. I understand slumps, etc., but this sounds like a more prolonged/severe regression. Is that unusual?

Also, why would you just continue banging your head against the wall at events. I would think you take a couple of weeks totally off, clear your head and then spend a couple weeks getting back to fundamentals with your coach to work through the issues and get a little confidence back.
Ezra Brooks
AG
That may have worked earlier in the season, but he's getting to a point where he needs to make some money/Fedex Points NOW - he's in real jeopardy of losing his status for next year.
rosco511
AG
A good book to read is Breaking the Slump. Unfortunately, guys can just lose it and can be tough to get it back.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I genuinely feel bad for the dude. Having your best friends be at the top of their games and you at the very bottom knowing in the back of your head that your time on tour is very limited if something doesn't change. Quickly.

I mentioned it before but I followed Smylie at the HO this year for several holes (only me) and the dude was spraying it everywhere. The worst part about it is you could just tell onhis face that he was defeated. It's the look someone has when they are desperately trying to hit good shots but they have no idea what to do to fix things. It was very sad to watch in person.
I'm in touch with that emotion.
SmackDaddy
AG
Smylie was paired with Jordan Speith IN THE FINAL GROUP ON SUNDAY of the 2016 Masters. Quite a fall.

I wonder if Rickie, Jordan and JT will keep inviting him on spring break?
_lefraud_
AG
Two years ago this week he was #70 in the World, he will be ranked 415+ on Monday.
Famous Shoes
AG
agsalaska
AG
His scoring average is 74.6 for the season. That's freaking terrible. He has shot in the 80s seven times.
Poot
Driver yips is absolutely the curse of all curses for tour pros... I give you Exhibit A: David Duval.
Tom Hagen
AG
Martin Piller didn't have Smylie Kaufman in the field this week.
AustinCountyAg
If your not first, your last
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.