Eagles vs. Aces

6,902 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Seriously77
Wizard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hadn't played in two years (self taught and didn't play in HS) and went out and shot a 90 (with a triple and three doubles on the card).

If anyone wants to go play Eagle Pointe on Monday let me know.
Aggie369
AG
Username checks out
stick93
AG
These threads always remind me of a good buddy of mine. Invited his gf to play golf. Never touched a club but she is a hell of an athlete. 2nd hole, dunks it. Not sure if she has played since.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Six eagles that I remember. Two that were a one putt par 5. Two hole outs from the fairway one on a par 4, one of a par 5, a couple of chip ins from off the green on par 5s.

2 aces I remember vividly.
_lefraud_
AG
I probably would have quit after the round.

and oh, rule 1.
khaos288
AG
My wife almost pulled this off as well. 3rd round ever 87 yard par 3. Skulls an 8 iron right at the pin. It rolls up. Hits the pin, but doesn't drop. For half a second I thought my wife who has swung a club a few hundred times was going to get an ace before me, who swings a club a thousand times a week.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Crapton of eagles. No idea but it's a lot. Zero holes in one.

By dad was a single digit handicap for ages. I have been a single digit handicap for ages. The only hole-in-one we've made between us was a worm-burner that he made in the 2nd round of golf he ever played. it was also wedged between the pin and the side of the cup (half in/out, although it fell in when removing the pin), and he and his fellow newbie playing partner weren't sure if it counted or not. And neither of them knew enough to appreciate the significance.
LHIOB
AG
stick93 said:

These threads always remind me of a good buddy of mine. Invited his gf to play golf. Never touched a club but she is a hell of an athlete. 2nd hole, dunks it. Not sure if she has played since.
I was playing with a guy once who couldn't get the ball off the ground. He was lucky to break 150. I remember thinking to myself "why is this guy even playing?". One a short par 3 he rolls one up on the green and damn near makes it. Ive been playing golf for 30 years and I have never even seen an ace. If that ball had gone it I may have quit playing.
khaos288
AG
This reminds me of the only one I've ever seen in person.

Older guy, ex NFL player. He said he played a "draw", but this guys shot was a 30 degree hook. He played it every shot.

On a short par 3, he hits a wedge that starts over some water on the right. Lands on the right fringe of the green, and rolls the entire width of the green to a left pin to drop. He didn't even want a picture, and wasn't even excited. He said he'd hit so many hit quit keeping count.
Aggie369
AG
My dad had 13 hole in ones

He would just call and I'd pick up and he would say "you're now down 12" he didn't need to say anything else. My responses were basically "are you freaking kidding me? Where are you playing and what club?"
STL_aTm
AG
2 aces and a handful of eagles
Matsui
AG
Not sure the number of eagles. A
Lot. Over 20. Maybe over 40.

0 aces
TX_Aggie37
AG
1 ace, 1 green-side chip in for eagle on par 5, 1 hole out from 207 for birdie after hitting driver OB and dropping on a friend's ball (scramble).

And one 12' eagle putt I left short that will haunt me FOREVER.
dodger02
AG
The Milkman said:

ORAggieFan said:

0 and 0
I'm a halfway decent player, had my handicap in the single digits for a while, and still 0 and 0 for me. Its so frustrating.
This...is golf.

I'm awful (relative to many of you). I've had two eagles: a hole out from the fairway on a par 4 from about 80 yards and one on about a 25' putt on a par 5...which I vividly remember because I doubled the following par 3 after hitting a horrendous tee shot. That was back when I was a consistent 70s shooter.

Both of those events occurred about 20 years ago.
LHIOB
AG
Aggie369 said:

My dad had 13 hole in ones

He would just call and I'd pick up and he would say "you're now down 12" he didn't need to say anything else. My responses were basically "are you freaking kidding me? Where are you playing and what club?"

I once hit the back of the hole and it kicked up and hit the pin and ended up about 6 inched away. I texted him a picture of the pitch mark and he responded, "nice shot son, still 12 back."
Sazerac
AG
single digit handicap and no eagles is pretty unbelievable.
you never reach par 5s in two?
you are never close enough that a pitch has gone in?
never dunked one on a short par 4?
1990AG
AG
07fta07 said:

Lots of eagles
1 double eagle (from 215 out)
Zero aces
Lots of eagles
1 double eagle 3wd par 5 in the jar #10 at Piney Woods when I was in High School in a tourney
1 Ace--171 yd 6 iron #17 at Saddlebrook

1990AG
AG
Playing with a buddy not long ago that played for Cal who had an Ace from 193 yds. I went up to putt and he yelled at me to get his ball for him....When I jumped on him for not taking pics etc, he let me know it was his 11th....

I've got a ways to go!

Aggie369
AG
Lol
dc509
AG
I've got 9 or 10 eagles. All chip ins or long puts. No long hole outs.

No aces. Closest I've come was within 4-5 inches on one of the par threes on the campus course.
Hamburger Dan
3 eagles that I remember, 2 aces
schwabbin
AG
1 ace. It was an awful shot I bladed on a long par 3 over water. Low slice that somehow hit the front left of the green and rolled up and in the cup. Wasn't as crazy about the game as I am now so I didn't even keep the ball or the scorecard.
EMY92
AG
Dozens of eagles, one was a tap in, very close to a double eagle. That was closer than I've ever come to an ace.
HouAggie
AG
1 hole in one
1 double eagle
No idea how many eagles, but if I were to guess, 100+. Been playing golf for almost 30 years, minus about a 10 year hiatus, and there were a couple years when I was tracking stats that I would have double digit eagles in a year.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
khaos288 said:

0 aces but one par in one where my second tee shot went in

This would be my luck.
Leander - Ag
AG
Holed out from 120 on a par 5 for eagle last time I played.
Have 7-10 eagles.
zero aces
CStewTAMU
AG
2 hole in ones
1 double eagle from 275 yards out on a par 5
Probably 10 or so eagles in total
boy09
AG
Probably around 20 eagles for me if i had to guess. My local muni has some short par 4's... Probably ~5 eagles on par 5's i reached in 2 and made the putt. No long hole-outs or anything cool like that. The furthest i've ever holed one from is probably only 30 yards or so...

Hole in one's: 0... Closest i've come was a lip out that settled about 2' from the cup. I've witnessed 2 friends make aces though. Those were still pretty cool.
aggolfer
AG
Lots of eagles on par 5s. Either chipins or putts.
Only 1 on a par 4 and it was my first one when I was 12. Punch out from behind a tree and rolled up on green and in the hole.

Never a hole in one, and I have only witnessed one.
AggieIce
AG
Eagled both Par 5s on the back nine one round, and have had many others.

Never had an ace, excruciatingly close though a few times and still holding out hope.
The Milkman
AG
Finally got my first eagle yesterday! #17 at National Golf Club of Louisiana in Lake Charles. Nice and clean too. Solid drive, great hybrid and made the 10 footer. It was especially nice because it ended up putting the nail in the coffin on the 2 vs 2 match play we had going.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Played Ridgeview Ranch a few weeks ago. Eagled 2 and 10. Eventually joined a 2some in front of me at the turn, and one of them aced #17. Raining eagles and aces.
Pahdz
No aces
Handful of eagles

Most memorable eagles were a 70' putt on 18 at Lake Hefner in OKC to win a two man scramble with someone coworkers (all shots on the hole were mine). The other was a 130 hole out on #1 at Twin Hills CC in OKC (also a scramble). Sadly, that one was from the trees because of my errant drive (for some reason I teed last). I have no clue how I got it up and out of that thicket, but it was one bounce about 4" out and in.

What do you guys get more of a rush from, the hole out from the fairway/rough 80 or more out, or the long putt? I think I enjoyed my long putt more.
schwabbin
AG
Sounds like I'm the only golfer in the world with an ace but no eagles.
stick93
AG
schwabbin said:

Sounds like I'm the only golfer in the world with an ace but no eagles.

Sounds like you checked both boxes at the same time!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.