Tiger is swinging clubs again

3,660 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First Tiger posted this three days ago:

Then someone posted this from a clinic he did today:

jj9000
AG
That top video looks to be at about 50%.

Definitely not all out.

I'm not sure he'll ever be back to his old form.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He probably dialed it back after the swing that left that giant divot in the bottom right corner.
12thMan2012
AG
Looks like plenty of speed in that second video.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think he could probably get back to a reasonable swing again. The bigger question to me is whether he can play 90 holes in 5 days with it, when you factor in practice/pro am.
Obi Wan Ginobili
jj9000 said:

That top video looks to be at about 50%.

Definitely not all out.

I'm not sure he'll ever be back to his old form.

If he can figure out how to move the ball down the fairway without killing himself, he has (used to have) the game to compete.

I doubt he wins another major, but he can definitely compete with the young guys. I would love to see some of these younger dudes having to face him while he is wearing his battle red on Sunday. Most of the guys winning these tournaments haven't had the pleasure yet.
jj9000
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

He probably dialed it back after the swing that left that giant divot in the bottom right corner.
Pretty sure he was warming up with one of those big @ss Yard Clubs.

Only explanation for that divot.

DannyDuberstein
AG
The short game yips that he had are another interesting question. The Tiger grinder of old that could drive the ball all over the course but still grind out par after par hasn't been seen for several years.
DannyDuberstein
Ag_07
AG
Just looks like a weird swing. Not quite sure what it is but it doesn't look very smooth and effortless.

Almost looks like he scoops at it.
LHIOB
AG
He doesnt have a swing that can hit his drive far enough to compete among many, many other issues.
watty
AG
There are a lot more videos online of him hitting balls at that clinic.

And now today, he posted this.

Word is he's playing lots of golf already, way ahead of schedule. The timelines he's been giving the media are all lies. Supposedly a good chance he'll tee it up at the Hero.
AustinCountyAg
I get the fact that he is arguably the best golfer ever. But I really could give two ****s now about when/if ever he plays in a pro tournament again.

The dude got big time personal problems that he needs to address before he enters a tournament only to withdraw after the first round.
watty
AG
I'll let him know what you said.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Tiger has been skipping leg day
Tursiops93
AG
Getting swing back isn't as big of a concern as getting his mental game back!
Aggie95
AG
Quote:

Word is he's playing lots of golf already, way ahead of schedule. The timelines he's been giving the media are all lies. Supposedly a good chance he'll tee it up at the Hero.
And THIS is why he will WD in that event. He just can't give his body/surgeries enough time to heal.
12thMan2012
AG
He can play the Hero, it's a glorified exhibition anyways, hopefully he doesn't start trying to jump around the world playing though like he did last year.

Play Hero, rest, play Torrey Pines, rest, play Masters, win.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I see it too...I believe that is a swing with less torque on his back from start to finish. He's protecting. Go take a club and make a few swings where you have to keep your spine as still as possible and you will probably feel the swing you are seeing in that video. It's a well connected swing for sure, but not one that has that rip it/release you typically see.

just my opinion on it, as I agree with you
98Ag99Grad
AG
well good for him. When he can actually make it through a few weeks without a WD it might actually mean something.
mavsfan4ever
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I get the fact that he is arguably the best golfer ever. But I really could give two ****s now about when/if ever he plays in a pro tournament again.

The dude got big time personal problems that he needs to address before he enters a tournament only to withdraw after the first round.
I'm the exact opposite. I've never been a huge tiger fan, even back in his prime. But I will be glued to the television if/when he makes his return.
David_Puddy
AG
12thMan2012 said:

He can play the Hero, it's a glorified exhibition anyways, hopefully he doesn't start trying to jump around the world playing though like he did last year.

Play Hero, rest, play Torrey Pines, rest, play Masters, win.

He's not ever winning the Masters again, much less any other major
12thMan2012
AG
Nobody thought Ernie was winning another one either.
AustinCountyAg
12thMan2012 said:

Nobody thought Ernie was winning another one either.

Nobody thought Ernie had an addiction problem and was injury prone either
jgh85Ag
AG
He would do better in long socks.
CrockerAg98
AG
I'd just like to get to that point where I can take a swing with my driver and not be dropping an F-bomb before I finish the follow through
98Ag99Grad
AG
He's been fully cleared by docs to resume golfing. Let the speculation begin on his first start.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Honestly as long as he can learn how to hit it straight and have the old tiger short game and putting he can compete
A lot to ask tho
1208HawkTree
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just looks like a weird swing. Not quite sure what it is but it doesn't look very smooth and effortless.

Almost looks like he scoops at it.

I agree 100%. Can't put my finger on it exactly because I'm not an expert eye for swing flaws, but for years it has looked to me like every shot is a glancing blow, vs. solid contact where the ball stays on the face longer and is actually compressed. I don't like the guy one bit, but I do appreciate good golf and the game was better when he played well.
watty
AG
Haney, who isn't afraid to give an honest assessment, has already come out and said that the new swing is one Tiger can win with. And if you recall, that's not at all what he said last time Tiger was attempting to come back and starting releasing swing videos.
watty
AG
By the way, according to the news, Tiger "just received clearance from his doctors to resume full golf activity" or whatever. Well clearly that had already happened a while ago because all of these clips from his clinic happened last week and he had clearly already been hitting full swings for a while prior to this.

He's been going at it for a while.
watty
AG
The swing is looking really, really good. Already looking better than his last comeback. This is a fully functional swing.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Let's see him chip off a tight lie in a tournament.
agfan2013
AG
Watching y'all get excited about his swing comeback is like watching the football board get excited over the 5-0 starts the last 3 years....
TheGreatScott12
AG
LOL at all the people saying "he looks like hes scooping it... it just doesn't look like solid contact."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.