Worst round of my life today

4,614 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JR Ewingford
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tandy miller said:

khaos288 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

khaos288 said:

When I had my awful round I had just started hitting up on my driver, and was crushing it. So without understanding why that helped, I started playing like I was teeing off on every shot.

so anything on the ground was getting chunked, and it was just confusing enough because anything on a good lie/tee was smashed.
That's one thing that took me a while to learn. To completely mentally separate iron technique from woods/driver. A light bulb would come on with my irons and I'd subconsciously try to apply it with driver or woods and vice versa, and typically it did not work. But I'm really really stupid and I still make these mistakes at times.

Exactly this. I have four swings now. Driver/wood, full iron shot, chip, putt. My worst offender these days is not mentally deciding between full iron and chip shot and I get a wonky hybrid of the two that's never good haha
So do you hit bump and runs instead of pitches? 10-40 yarders kill me
It totally depends. I generally do my chip shot with only two clubs. 8 iron, and sand wedge. One is for bump and run, one is for carry and stop. When I took lessons that change to the strategy of my approach saved me so many strokes.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Posted my worst round in years today. F it! Had 4 four putts.
jgh85Ag
AG
Jim Furyk 3 putted from 20 feet to bogey the last hole today and probably miss the cut by one. He hit his first putt 9 feet by the hole.
the dude10
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

I think the total lack of expectations really helped me play loose and not overthink my swing.
I've played the two best rounds of my life after significant layoffs (a couple of months). I had no expectations and just focused on making good contact and not swinging too hard.

Yep my best round ever is after a couple months of not swinging a club. Didn't hit the range beforehand either.
White Liberals=The Worst
F golf. Walked Memorial Park today paired with another 3some and slayed the front nine and was doing well on back until I got a double on hole 14 which included a half shank. Then shanked 2 into the trees on the par 3 15. Then wheels were completely off with snowman on 16, double on17, until I was able to pull it together and par the last hole. Ended on a good note but the shanks have been haunting me lately, like they tend to do when I start playing really good golf.
tandy miller
AG
Played this morning. Went in w/ no expectations... didn't hit the range, just out to have fun. Shot a 93, To tie my best round. Irons were solid. Finally felt what a flushed 7i feels like... usually hit it 150, caught one just perfect and sent it 22 yards past a 149 yard pin. I did notice that I'm getting stuck on my back foot though. Every time I would try and correct it I would have this big lateral slide forward. Here it is on one of my drives. Seems to happen more on driver/wood than irons

Oyster DuPree
Mr.Bond
AG
How's the arrcos working
tandy miller
AG
Mr.Bond said:

How's the arrcos working

Love it. Took a few holes to get used to, as I was trying to absolutely MURDER the ball. Works great and couldn't be easier to use. Longest drive yesterday was 276, average of 238
CapCity12thMan
AG
"I have four swings now. "

Oh geez
khaos288
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

"I have four swings now. "

Oh geez

Back to 3 after this weekend.

What I mean to say is I don't have a ton in my bag. I don't practice hitting cuts or fades. I don't practice stingers and weird shots that I rarely use.

It sucks when I need to hit one, but practicing for the 95% of golf shots I hit seems to make more sense.
tandy miller
AG
Complete 180 from OP

shot my best round to date today. 90 from the blues at sienna Plantation. Played the best irons of my life. Didn't make a putt over 6'. Could have easily been an 83-87 had I been able to putt. Should have broken 90, but on #3 par three I chipped off the back from about 5' off the green trying to roll a 9i up, then chipped back off the front, then chipped on and 2 putted for a triple. Oh well. Cleaned it up on the back 9. Most enjoyable round of my life
JR Ewingford
I was a +1 heading into the Fall of 2016. Got a case of the pitching yips from 80 yards and in. Then my confidence was shaken, entire game has went to hell since then. Now currently a 3 and back with my old swing coach begging for help at Sinclairs Golf Center. Real bummer.
LHIOB
AG
I just started taking from Jon a few weeks ago. Ive had 2 lessons and my game has improved so much. I used to hit a fade/cut/slice with everything and after five minutes he said "I think your shot is a draw" I told him Ive been playing golf for almost 30 years and thats impossible. I now hit a nice tight draw with my irons. Its nuts. The hardest part is setting up right of the target and trusting it. Shot 77-79 on Sunday and hit 20 of 36 greens and 24 of 28 fairways. So much fun.
t - cam
AG
My game has really been struggling lately. I'm usually about a 2 and have dropped to a 3 over the last couple months.

Soo frustrating. lost 1800 in a game of wolf on Sunday.
jj9000
AG
EwingBarnes said:

Now currently a 3 and back with my old swing coach begging for help at Sinclairs Golf Center. Real bummer.
Michael Martin?
tandy miller
AG
t - cam said:

lost 1800 in a game of wolf on Sunday.

Ouch
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Has this turned into a humble brag thread?
dodger02
AG
I have to find somewhere to take lessons. I'm so wildly inconsistent that there's often little overall enjoyment in playing anymore. On Friday, I played my worst round in years. The. Worst.

I walked up stone cold to the first tee without a single warmup swing. That was a bad idea but the only way to get myself into an unscheduled opening before a slew of foursomes went off. Topped my tee shot into the drink. On the par 3 3rd, I chunked a 7 iron that made it halfway to the green. Put my second into the face of the green side bunker. It was downhill from there. Hit some tremendous tee shots along the way. But, had too many snap hooks, a handful of shanks, and too many chunks to make the day anything close to enjoyable.

The only thing remotely satisfying about the day was playing the remaining par 3s at even par, putting decently, and having a birdie on 9 after a 300 yd drive (downwind & downhill) that left me < 90 yards with a perfect angle to the flag.

I took out the GoPro on Saturday and noticed that my head is bobbing up and down all over the place (probably the source of much of my inconsistency) and I get too laid off on my backswing at times. I need some lessons and an above average psychologist.
tandy miller
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Has this turned into a humble brag thread?

Just until the wheels fall off again
LHIOB
AG
To quote Bubba - Golf is tough.
DadAG10
tandy miller said:

Complete 180 from OP

shot my best round to date today. 90 from the blues at sienna Plantation. Played the best irons of my life. Didn't make a putt over 6'. Could have easily been an 83-87 had I been able to putt. Should have broken 90, but on #3 par three I chipped off the back from about 5' off the green trying to roll a 9i up, then chipped back off the front, then chipped on and 2 putted for a triple. Oh well. Cleaned it up on the back 9. Most enjoyable round of my life

How many keep score this way versus actual number on a hole?

If I ever get my ace, it will be a "1", not a circled 2.

agracer
AG
Had six 3-putts and quadrupled the last hole for a 90 two weeks ago.

Went for a lesson last night (1st time in a while) and he said I had a lot of good things in my swing, but I was leaving the face wide open on my back swing causing me to leave it open at contact.

He changed my grip a bit and suddenly the ball had a wonderful flight (slight draw). Not all of them, but a lot better contact. Now I just need to get used to the new grip.
t - cam
AG
tandy miller said:

t - cam said:

lost 1800 in a game of wolf on Sunday.

Ouch
I was totally kidding. I'm nowhere near a 3 handicap and would never lose more than a 50 spot on the course.

I was just having fun with the you guys that are clearly very good at golf and have a much different perspective on bad golf.
White Liberals=The Worst
DadAG10 said:

tandy miller said:

Complete 180 from OP

That's how those country boys from El Campo do it. They're a little weird, but good people for the most part.
White Liberals=The Worst
EwingBarnes said:

I was a +1 heading into the Fall of 2016. Got a case of the pitching yips from 80 yards and in. Then my confidence was shaken, entire game has went to hell since then. Now currently a 3 and back with my old swing coach begging for help at Sinclairs Golf Center. Real bummer.
I do not feel sorry for you at all. No matter how much I play for the rest of my life, I will never sniff your level of golf success.
Icecream_Ag
S
Wycliffe_03 said:

EwingBarnes said:

I do not feel sorry for you at all. No matter how much I play for the rest of my life, I will never sniff your level of golf success.
I shot 17 on a 7500 yard course once
tandy miller
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

DadAG10 said:

tandy miller said:

Complete 180 from OP

That's how those country boys from El Campo do it. They're a little weird, but good people for the most part.

We do it like that so that the numbers don't get so big we can't add them

And how did you k ow I was from the camp?
Icecream_Ag
S
tandy miller said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

DadAG10 said:

tandy miller said:

Complete 180 from OP

your pic on page 1 perhaps.

we are pretty good detectives round here.
White Liberals=The Worst
tandy miller said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

DadAG10 said:

tandy miller said:

Complete 180 from OP

Ha, that makes sense

Deduced it from the image on p1
Whats Up Brother
DadAG10
tandy miller said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

Well the key to that is don't shoot big numbers.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ahh ricebirds, always liked playing them in football, because we usually won and we picked up mikeskas on our way out of town back to Victoria.
tandy miller
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Ahh ricebirds, always liked playing them in football, because we usually won and we picked up mikeskas on our way out of town back to Victoria.

My 2 best friends are from Victoria. Both went to St Jo
JR Ewingford
jj9000 said:

EwingBarnes said:

Now currently a 3 and back with my old swing coach begging for help at Sinclairs Golf Center. Real bummer.
Michael Martin?

Indeed. I took lessons from him at Mira Vista. He left and I messed around with Sam Randolph. Now its back to Martin. Golf is brutally hard!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.