Kiawah Island, SC - Oceans Course

6,092 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
shakenbake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone played out there? Im playing it this weekend for the first time. I hear it's a bear...
DRE06
AG
No bs, I hear its literally the toughest course in the US.

Borderline not even fun to play unless you are a single-digit HC.
booradley
AG
ive played it a couple of times... its all about the wind. if its blowing, its very difficult. if calm, not bad at all...

but its a must play. so relax and enjoy it.

we had much more fun when we didn't play the tips. so move up and enjoy.

from the tips, there were a couple of holes that you had to bust it just to reach the start of the fairway.

and from the tips, I hit a small bucket of balls trying to reach the green on 17.

just forget the score. they also have a good deal on a twilight rate...
Ag_07
AG
Played it a couple years when we were vacationing in Charleston. Wife dropped me off and had a spa day while I golfed then she met me for drinks and lunch at the Ryder Cup Bar there in the clubhouse.

It's a must play if you have the chance and worth every penny. It's a beautiful property and course and is one of the best experiences I've ever had.

As stated earlier play the right tees (the starter or caddy will tell you where based on your HC) and it's a blast. I'd say play early in the morning if you can because of the wind. It was fine during the front 9 but the but the back 9 was a grind. The final 6 holes coming back into the clubhouse and wind were brutal (but fun and challenging) and I felt like bogey was a birdie. I'm a 12 HC and think I shot 95. I'd also say walk with a caddy.

Drinks and food on the patio while you watch folks come into 18 green was also nice. Just an overall awesome experience that I recommend to everyone.

See if I can't rustle up some pics.
AustinCountyAg
I've been eyeing the champions package or whatever they call it very hard. I'd love to do that with the wife this year or next. It seems like price wise it is a no brainer.
12thMan2012
AG
It's not easy, but I wouldn't say that it is so hard you can't have fun. Obviously that depends on weather.
shakenbake
AG
We tee off at 1030am. Im guessing the wind will be starting to kick around then. Im about a 17 handicap. Im sure it's going to eat my lunch but Im going to try to enjoy it.
Ag_07
AG
Seriously if you can't enjoy the Ocean Course just sell your clubs and quit golf.

shakenbake
AG
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to it.
agsalaska
AG
Played it the weekend after we played USC a couple of years back. It was one of the top 2 golf experiences of my life. Unbelievable experience.
LHIOB
AG
Playing it this summer
Hanrahan
AG
played it on a masters trip a couple years ago. Course is awesome though the greens weren't in that great of shape when we were there. I didn't get the ZOMG it's so hard thing, but the wind wasn't crazy while we were there. It was somewhat breezy and i could see where when its howling the course would be a beeyotch, but I think that's pretty universal in golf. Ryder cup room is where its at. Have a few and a burger in there.

The sanctuary hotel is pretty damn swanky tho if that is where u are staying. WE are actually more impressed with Daniel Island Club courses over the others at Kiawah if you want to venture out while in Charleston area.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What's the other one?
LHIOB
AG
Do you know anyone who can get a round set up at Daniel Island?
agsalaska
AG
Mauna Kea
Hanrahan
AG
My pro at my club set us up out there and at sage valley for that trip (and we had to cancel sage last second due to travel snafus, which sucked bigly), so no cant really help you there unfortunately. I didn't get the feeling it was any kind of ultra exclusive club so I bet most pros could get you out there if you have one ask. Kiawah ocean and the beresford (sp?) course at Daniel island were my favorites in the area.
Kool
AG
I have played it twice. The first time I played, the winds were gusting up to 60 mph. They gave us half priced greens fees, and the caddie told me he had NEVER seen it so windy. We all shot well over 100, and the best score in our foursome was by a guy who pretty much played with two clubs - a putter and a 4-iron. It is a beautiful and interesting course, though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cool_Hand
AG
That place is the devil.
Aggie1391
Anyone done one of the stay and play packages at kiawah? Looking to set something up for 10-12 later this year (early October) and was wondering who you booked it through and roughly how much it would be.
Ag_07
AG
If you got that many check out the Ryder Cup Package (I think) that includes 3 days with welcoming cocktail banquet, hotel, breakfast, and three rounds with 1 being the Ocean Course. Runs something like $1k per person which ain't bad seeing as the Ocean Course itself costs $300.
LHIOB
AG
Im going in August and I want to book my tee times. Online it looks like all they offer are the packages. Do I just call to get a time if Im not staying there?
Aggie1391
I know this is last minute, but I just came across it. Might try to make a 2 day trip next week

A night at the Sanctuary and 2 rounds anywhere, including the Ocean Course for $400.

http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf-or-gourmet-escape

Ag_07
AG
LHIOB said:

Im going in August and I want to book my tee times. Online it looks like all they offer are the packages. Do I just call to get a time if Im not staying there?

Yeah just call and they'll do it all over the phone. I recommend, at least for the first time, walking with a caddy.
agsalaska
AG
If I remember right you have to have a caddie. At least you did in 2014 when I played it.

Word of warning. You can take a cart but they will not let you drive it on grass. They have some waist area that runs along the sides of a lot of the holes and a little bit of cart path. On some holes it is pretty far away. I don't think it would do a lot of good to take a cart. You really do need to walk it.
LHIOB
AG
Id never want to take a cart there
AustinCountyAg
Wife and I are planning on going to charleston mid June. What's the best/most affordable way to play ocean course? Would it be worth staying a night there and possibly get a discount on the round?

What are the rates like in the summer?

Can you carry your own clubs? Do they have push carts I could use?
agsalaska
AG
You are not using a push cart. Get a caddie. In fact I am pretty sure you do not have a choice. But even if you do, skipping on the caddie is a big mistake.

Couldn't tell you much else. We played the Saturday after Kenny Hill set the records and stayed in Charleston. I think the round was $365. Worth it.
AustinCountyAg
agsalaska said:

You are not using a push cart. Get a caddie. In fact I am pretty sure you do not have a choice. But even if you do, skipping on the caddie is a big mistake.

Couldn't tell you much else. We played the Saturday after Kenny Hill set the records and stayed in Charleston. I think the round was $365. Worth it.

Is that 365 including your tip to the caddie?
Looking at the online rates a morning round would cost around 370 and then it says $100 tip for caddie is suggested??? I'm no oil man so that's expensive for this white trash boy
agsalaska
AG
Understood. And no it did not include a caddie. The entire round, including the tab, green fee, and round was probably $500. But I would have never played it for $400. The caddie was worth the extra $100
AustinCountyAg
The wife and I decided we are officially heading to charleston in June. I've decided I'm gunna pony up and play the ocean course. However, being the frugal guy I am I'm gunna get an afternoon tee time and carry my own bag. I'm looking forward to a round of golf on one of americas finest
EKG1996
AG
Might want to check but they may require at least a forecaddie.

Time I played we had a cart and forecaddie. As people said cart doesn't help a whole lot because they don't let you ride fairways but we played late in afternoon and were concerned we wouldn't get the round in. It is a pretty long walk in the heat in the summer as well.

I know a caddie seems like something you don't need but this course is a bear and without some local knowledge it can be down right unfair.
agsalaska
AG
You might want to check with them about whether or not a caddie is required
AustinCountyAg
Just talked to the course and caddies are not required after 2. However a forcaddie is required if you take a cart.... looks like I'm carrying my bag. I figure I won't be shooting the round of my life anyway so why pay $100 bucks in caddie tips to save me a handful of strokes (maybe)

Granted the experience of having a caddie is probably cool but my wife will be walking with me so we will be chatting it up and enjoying the afternoon together
Ag_07
AG
I'd recommend a caddy as well but sounds like you got it figured out.

I will recommend lunch and drinks on the patio with the wife after your round. Mine came to pick me up after I played and we sat out and had cocktails and lunch. She actually said she really enjoyed it and was glad she came instead of me getting a cab.
AustinCountyAg
Ag 07 do you still get on golfwrx? I'd like to pm you some questions about your trip to Charleston. I've fairly certain I've seen you post on there about your trip to Kiawah
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.