Kiawah Island, SC - Oceans Course

6,099 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not really. If I'm planning a trip or buying some clubs I'll get on and read. Go ahead and PM me and I'll make it a point to check it out.

There's also some really good threads over on the travel board about Charleston.
Wicked Good Ag
AustinCountyAg said:

Wife and I are planning on going to charleston mid June. What's the best/most affordable way to play ocean course? Would it be worth staying a night there and possibly get a discount on the round?

What are the rates like in the summer?

Can you carry your own clubs? Do they have push carts I could use?
Played this course many years ago on a NCAA basketball/golf group,outing.

As for staying there, find out the rates for a hotel in say the historic district. Many hotel are around $250/300 per night in October when we went last year and if you can get a play and stay rate anywhere near that it would be probably a good deal

One thing i will mention about Charleston. Dont skimp on food in terms of trying to save a few bucks. There are so many great places to dine at various price points. Dont hit up a chain type place when in this area. We budgeted about $200 per day for food/drink as a couple and sometimes way under but never a bad meal.
AustinCountyAg
In regards to caddie services what exactly do they do besides just carry your bag? Are they legit in providing reads, cleaning clubs after shots, raking bunkers, etc?

I assuming they double bag? Doesn't that get annoying if two guys spray their shots to opposite sides having to wait for a club?

Everyone is seeming to be suggesting me to get a caddy, ix just curious if they are worth the expense? TIA
agsalaska
AG
Its just not an easy course to play. You will be 140 out, hit an approach shot that you think is fine, realize you left the ball on the wrong side of the hole, and three putt. You will hit a driver and find out a little too late that you should have hit 3 wood. It is really not any different than any other Championship layout in that regard. But if I have one opportunity to play a National Championship layout I want every advantage I can get.

Caddie probably saved me 5 or 6 strokes. ANd they did not double bag.
Ag_07
AG
The Ocean Course is a beast not just from a conditions stand point but also from a design stand point.

For instance you may be standing on a tee box and see there's no room over that fairway bunker so you should an iron. But in reality there tons of room and the caddy will say 'Man there's plenty of room hit your driver right at that bunker'. You may look at him like he's nuts and he'll tell you just trust him. Hit the driver. Or even the opposite where from where you're standing it looks like you have room but due to some contouring there isn't much.

Also they're very good at knowing where you stray shots go. Just like any course people go OB in typically the same areas and when they see your shot straying the know where to go when they walk up. They were finding balls that I thought were for sure gonners.

They're very good at advising on chips and putts. There's lots of false fronts and big collars out there so they helped me out lots of times. He was spot on as far reading putts and putting in the wind.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what to do as far a caddy, but I can guarantee you a caddy will make it more enjoyable.

EKG1996
AG
I second everything AG 07 said. Finding balls and advice on chipping/putting out there is the two biggest things I benefited from.

The grass is different than most courses (Paspalum vs Bermuda). This comes most into play around the greens.
Best advice I got was to use a putter anytime it is conceivable. Also make sure you practice putting from off the practice putting green to get used to it. The fringe rolls completely different then you are probably used to.

This is a little old but still pretty good read:

http://www.kiawahresort.com/blog/kiawah-golf/2012/02/16/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-to-play-the-ocean-course/

AustinCountyAg
So for those who've been there what should I get at the pro shop? I feel like I must buy something there after my round?

Looking online even basic shirts seem to be $$$$. Any suggestions on what to get to remember my round?
Ag_07
AG
Yeah just a golf shirt will run you about $100. Which actually isn't too bad since the going rate for a nice golf shirt from anywhere is $75.

If you just want something to remember your round pick up a yardage book or golf towel.
Hanrahan
AG
You can always play the nice course then buy a used shirt from there on eBay afterwards. Most of the national big name public access / resort courses are on there. I've done it myself when I've ruined an original purchase.

Other wise just pony up the $100 for one of the nice Peter Millar shirts in the Kiawah pro shop.

Golf is expensive. Playing then big time courses is even more so. Just go with it. When I'm blown away by shirt prices, I just go with a hat. Hats are so much nicer these days than 10 years ago.
agsalaska
AG
If you can keep up with it get a ball marker.

I didn't get anything for myself when I played but my wife got my son a nice Tarheel blue golf hat. He was 3 at the time. Now he is 5 and it's kind of funny watching him run around wearing camo shorts, a stained up white shirt, barefoot, and that hat.
LHIOB
AG
I buy flags. You can't wear them but that make for some great decorations. I get one for each top 100 course Ive played. Not all of them are represented because I have to retroactively go back and buy them.

When we went to Scotland I decided before the trip that I was going to go the flag route and lucky for me each course had one for sale.

We recently sold our house so I have a decent pic of most of my flags.

Torrey Pines, Princeville, Old MacDonald, Pacific Dunes, Carnoustie, Castle Stuart, Royal Dornoch, Royal Aberdeen, Turnberry, Cruden Bay and Narin.
AustinCountyAg
I had actually thought about getting a flag to frame, but the wife got somewhat pissed because it doesn't fit our decorations....women. However, after I *****ed for a minute she seemed like she would get over it if that's what I decided to do.

Looking online the putter covers seem pretty cool. Did yall see any there, or is it just an online deal?
LHIOB
AG
My brother got a hybrid cover from Turnberry and its very nice, Id just be afraid I'd lose it.

My wife gave me the den to myself so I guess Im lucky there.
HtownAg92
AG
Played it twice Kenny Hill weekend. Once in calm conditions, once with the wind. Calm - one of the best golf experiences in my life. Windy (and tired after playing other rounds during the weekend), I wanted to commit Seppuku with my 4 iron. Hole 17 against the wind with a gator lounging 10 feet from the tee box was fun.

As for those playing in August - be prepared for Cambodia jungle heat and swamp ace.

Sanctuary bar for a cocktail out on the great lawn is a must.
AustinCountyAg
Well.... I played the course today and it was awesome. Caddy I had was great and he only carried my bag. I started out having birdie putts on the first four holes and missed each putt. I was hitting the ball well and after #4 my game went downhill. thr course was in excellent shape. All the grass out there is mowed so tight. My wife even commented that the rough off the fairway is tighter than the green at our home course in Austin County. I actually enjoyed the front nine more than the back. I thought the layout was better and more interesting. The course is somewhat generous off the tee box but after that it can eat you alive. So many waste areas little room to bail out around the greens. Not much area miss. It was a day I will never forget that's for sure.

Even the ride in through all the beautiful mansions would be worth paying for an entry onto the island to check out.

I'll try to post pics at a later date.
Ag_07
AG
Sounds exactly like my round there. I even birdied #1

I too enjoyed the front more than the back but maybe that's because the wind hadn't kicked up yet and I actually stood a chance to make par/bogey. The back is just so hard when the wind gets going.

Hard not to enjoy a day out there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.