What happened to Hunter Mahan?

7,788 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colleyville or thereabouts I think.
agsalaska
AG
I knew a kid in the early 90s like that. He did absolutely nothing other than play golf. And he won everything. At 15 or 16 he was the best high school player around, was an AJGA All American, almost won the US Junior Amateur, etc. Everyone wondered if he would just go straight pro or play whatever college he chose. Then his senior year he absolutely collapsed. I remember playing in a tournament with him and he shot like an 84. We all smoked him. Something about it made me feel sorry for him at the time. This continued the rest of the year and into college.

I want to say he ended up playing some golf in college, but never did much. He did graduate, get married, have kids, and plays at a nice private club now. So at least he didn't end up in the sewer. But it sure was headed that way.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
As soon as I made 20 million after tax is be gone for sure. If I was Jordan Spieth I'd play every major, the players and a couple of other events and that's it.
If it were me...

4 majors
Players Championship
4 WGC Events
Bay Hill (arnie's)
Muirfield (jack's)
Pebble Beach Pro Am
Congressional
Quail Valley
Shell (got to throw a bone to the home folks)
Spot in a couple on the European Tour
FedEx playoffs (Barclays, Duetsch Bank, BMW & Tour Champ.)

That's 21 events per year if I played all 4 FedEx events. I would still qualify for the OWGR rankings, which is based on a minimum of 40 events in the last two years.
Agreed.

Swap the Shell for the WGC in Austin as long as it remains in town.
He mentioned the WGCs.

If it was me I would go

4 majors
The Players
The 3 WGC events in the US
The 4 Texas PGA events
Quail Hollow
The Hawaii events which would be both since I won last year
One California Tournament
One Florida Tournament
Probably the Old White Course
The 4 Fed Ex Playoffs
So thats 22. Add the Scottish Open for 23.
aggiebrother33
quote:
quote:
Webb Simpson

Keegan Bradley
I agree that generation has several guys that seem to have flamed out, but I think these two are a product of the putter change.

Agree here, I unfortunately am one as well. Will never be the same...
gravy97
AG
His caddy did win the closest to the pin on 17 this week... so at least he has that W on his bag
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Webb Simpson

Keegan Bradley
I agree that generation has several guys that seem to have flamed out, but I think these two are a product of the putter change.

Agree here, I unfortunately am one as well. Will never be the same...

Why did you change?
watty
AG
Bump, as I just noticed that Mahan was in the field this week and missed the cut. Looked him up again, and now he's ranked 739th in the world and hasn't had a top 50 finish in over a year.
AustinCountyAg
Remember when he used to be in those ace hardware commercials?
CapCity12thMan
AG
You have mentioned before you know me and after reading your description here I can probably narrow this down to 2-3 guys...did he play for A&M? If not then I am even more confused. Did he go to Stanford? Did he have brothers and sisters in FW golf?

Those are my three guesses
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.