What happened to Hunter Mahan?

7,765 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's played 14 events this year and missed 6 cuts. He has zero top 10 finishes and just one top 25 (and that was technically in 2015). At one point he was in the top 20 in the world and now he's a full 100 spots below that (120th currently).

Injury? Something else?
Ezra Brooks
AG
Hunter has always been one of my favorites - just love his swing.

He's always under performed a bit to the expectations IMO.

I know his wife had a baby a year or so ago, so maybe family is just taking a bigger priority now.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Was going to say family as well. Haven't heard of an injury.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, his big tittied ex-Dallas Cowboy cheerleader wife pumped out a kid and he hasn't been the same since.
agsalaska
AG
It must be pretty difficult managing family with being out of town half the year, especially in your 30s with babies at home. Especially when you have already made more money than you will ever spend.

I have always believed that's why a lot of guys fall off as they get into their later 30s and 40s. It just takes so much work to win on tour and they lose the drive.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Especially when you have already made more money than you will ever spend.

I have always believed that's why a lot of guys fall off as they get into their later 30s and 40s. It just takes so much work to win on tour and they lose the drive.
This is my opinion as well.

It is hard to put in the work when you have made ~$30MM in career earnings alone.
jja79
AG
Webb Simpson
Keegan Bradley
Nick Watney
Stewart Cink
Geoff Ogilvy

They've also had some success but aren't much of a factor any more. Money probably does make it hard to keep charging.
ORAggieFan
I think that's one of the reasons we lose at the Ryder Cup as well.
Prexys Moon
AG
just imagine your job causes you to be on the road for over half the year and working on your own at home the other half. You have huge success in your first 7 years, when you are single. You eat, sleep, breathe your job. You make 20-30 million bucks. You get married and have kids, and have more money than you could ever spend. Can you stay at the high level it took to get there, do you want to be gone, etc? I'm surprised nowadays with the big money these guys can make that you don't see more of them work hard for 6-8 years, do great, then shut it down.
Ag_07
AG
So what's Duff Daddy's excuse?
agsalaska
AG
That would be exactly what I would do
aggiebrother33
I wouldn't say 100% family, Phil is one of the top "family first" guys on tour yet he still wins. Left during a major on the weekend to watch a kids play, I think it's just that there is a ton of young talent right now and competition is stiff. Hahn missed 8 straight cuts then wins on a really hard course. Golf in general is tough...
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
I wouldn't say 100% family, Phil is one of the top "family first" guys on tour yet he still wins. Left during a major on the weekend to watch a kids play,
Never heard this before, do you have more details. Are you saying he withdrew? or left to go to play and came back? I don't think his is accurate
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
just imagine your job causes you to be on the road for over half the year and working on your own at home the other half. You have huge success in your first 7 years, when you are single. You eat, sleep, breathe your job. You make 20-30 million bucks. You get married and have kids, and have more money than you could ever spend. Can you stay at the high level it took to get there, do you want to be gone, etc? I'm surprised nowadays with the big money these guys can make that you don't see more of them work hard for 6-8 years, do great, then shut it down.
My job causes me to be on the road for over half the year, and pretty much working when I am at home as well. Moreso than golfers even. It really isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be in the modern day with all of our technology. The complicating factor is the 20-30MM - which isn't really relationship-specific. Anyone that makes that much money can lose drive, not just because of family.

I work my ass off for my nice salary, but having a family doesn't cause me to lose any drive - if my salary was x10 what it is now and I could make 20MM in a decade, that might change things a bit, family or not.
t - cam
AG
quote:
I wouldn't say 100% family, Phil is one of the top "family first" guys on tour yet he still wins. Left during a major on the weekend to watch a kids play, I think it's just that there is a ton of young talent right now and competition is stiff. Hahn missed 8 straight cuts then wins on a really hard course. Golf in general is tough...

He ws willing to leave a major. Fortunately he didn't have to as his kid was born the day after his 2nd place finish in the 99 US open.

That being said you are talking about a guy with the ability that only about 5 players ever possessed. None of the guys mentioned on this thread were ever going to be phill mickelson.
t - cam
AG
quote:
quote:
My job causes me to be on the road for over half the year, and pretty much working when I am at home as well. Moreso than golfers even. It really isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be in the modern day with all of our technology. The complicating factor is the 20-30MM - which isn't really relationship-specific. Anyone that makes that much money can lose drive, not just because of family.

I work my ass off for my nice salary, but having a family doesn't cause me to lose any drive - if my salary was x10 what it is now and I could make 20MM in a decade, that might change things a bit, family or not.

There are tons of people who wouldn't be willing to take on your travel schedule.
Cen-Tex
AG
wish I had Mahan's swing
EMY92
AG
Wasn't there also one where he flew across the country to watch one graduate, then flew back after the ceremony to play the next day?

It does help when you can afford a private jet.
Yesterday
AG
As soon as I made 20 million after tax is be gone for sure. If I was Jordan Spieth I'd play every major, the players and a couple of other events and that's it.
ElCheAg
AG
Always wonder why more players do not follow the "Derek Jeter" model. Hook up with as many hotties as you can, bang the heck out of them, have a relationship with a few of them, then move on and bang as many as you can again. And when you have had your fill for many years, settle down with a hot ass wife. Oh, and before settling down, you can try to win a sheetload of majors/tournaments.
BarryProfit
You left out the herpes part, but let's be real, it was probably worth it.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
Always wonder why more players do not follow the "Derek Jeter" model. Hook up with as many hotties as you can, bang the heck out of them, have a relationship with a few of them, then move on and bang as many as you can again. And when you have had your fill for many years, settle down with a hot ass wife. Oh, and before settling down, you can try to win a sheetload of majors/tournaments.
This crazy little thing called love. It's funny how the one thing women have is stronger than youth, millions of dollars and fame. Rory escaped it once, but looks like he may not escape it a second time.
Famous Shoes
AG
His short game SUCKS!
nickel
quote:
Good call. Because the Euro players don't get married or have kids.
t - cam
AG
quote:
As soon as I made 20 million after tax is be gone for sure. If I was Jordan Spieth I'd play every major, the players and a couple of other events and that's it.

I'd play every week. It's playing golf at the best courses in the world.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:
Good call. Because the Euro players don't get married or have kids.

You missed my point. I was talking about making a ton of money and losing some drive. Usually a good portion of the Euro team primarily play on the Euro tour. They do well, but not like the guys over here. They have something to prove.
Post removed:
by user
Just an Ag
AG
quote:
If it were me...

4 majors
Players Championship
4 WGC Events
Bay Hill (arnie's)
Muirfield (jack's)
Pebble Beach Pro Am
Congressional
Quail Valley
Shell (got to throw a bone to the home folks)
Spot in a couple on the European Tour
FedEx playoffs (Barclays, Duetsch Bank, BMW & Tour Champ.)

That's 21 events per year if I played all 4 FedEx events. I would still qualify for the OWGR rankings, which is based on a minimum of 40 events in the last two years.
DripAG08
AG
quote:
quote:
If it were me...

4 majors
Players Championship
4 WGC Events
Bay Hill (arnie's)
Muirfield (jack's)
Pebble Beach Pro Am
Congressional
Quail Valley
Shell (got to throw a bone to the home folks)
Spot in a couple on the European Tour
FedEx playoffs (Barclays, Duetsch Bank, BMW & Tour Champ.)

That's 21 events per year if I played all 4 FedEx events. I would still qualify for the OWGR rankings, which is based on a minimum of 40 events in the last two years.
Agreed.

Swap the Shell for the WGC in Austin as long as it remains in town.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Maybe because Jeter is gay.
TresPuertas
AG
Hunter graduated high school the year below me at McKinney, and while he was a nice enough guy, nobody, aside from the golf team really knew him. The kid was 100% golf all the time, and a lot of that was driven by his dad. No girlfriends, no weekend parties,
no real social life to speak of at all. After school, weekends, every spare minute he was on the golf course

Fast fwd a couple of years and a ton of money later, and he's met a (then) hot ex cowboy cheerleader, married her and had a
couple of kids. It's the first time I would guess there had been any normalcy in his life and I'm sure he let off quite a bit. (I can't stress enough how devoted to golf this kid has been). I can't really blame him. At some point he had to fit in some other priorities in his life and I don't blame the kid one bit for it.

If his golf game suffers for him being a good father and husband, I can't really blame the guy. There are plenty of degenerate a-holes on tour and it's kind of nice to see someone reestablished their priorities.

**edit to add the fact that it's curious that he sold his house to Speith. Not sure of his financial situation, but it's a little curious that he did this. Not saying he's in any sort of financial bind, but he hasn't won as much in a long time as he previously did, and seeing your income decreased that substantially can certainly have an effect
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
So what's Duff Daddy's excuse?

It didn't go unnoticed that when he dumped the gold digging cheating ***ch he's experienced a bit of a career resurgence.
powerbelly
AG
quote:

**edit to add the fact that it's curious that he sold his house to Speith. Not sure of his financial situation, but it's a little curious that he did this. Not saying he's in any sort of financial bind, but he hasn't won as much in a long time as he previously did, and seeing your income decreased that substantially can certainly have an effect

I think he bought another equally expensive house in a different school district.
grego
AG
quote:
Webb Simpson

Keegan Bradley
I agree that generation has several guys that seem to have flamed out, but I think these two are a product of the putter change.
TresPuertas
AG
quote:
quote:

I think he bought another equally expensive house in a different school district.

Didn't know that. Whereabouts did he move?. I've always been kind of curious since the Story of Speith buying his house became big news
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.