Dallas country clubs

164,363 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TecRecAg
92TXAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Houston,

If you're moving in the "Devonshire" area and you want to romance guests, then it's either DCC or Northwood...

PM me the next time you're in town and I'd be happy to make some divots & intros with you...
92TXAG
AG
nvf61286 said:

Really helpful to read this thread. New here so thanks everyone.

I'm considering promising membership opportunities at 2 great clubs: Dallas National and Lakewood CC

Struggling very much with which way to go honestly for a number of reasons...

Thoughts on DNGC:

+ Top notch and from my research reading the thread and other forums its very prestigious / tough to get into

+ From a golf stand point there's no other course in Dallas I'd rather join and being a member there has serious clout - it's a top 70 golf course in the country per Golf Digest and I love that stuff

+ If I'm a lifer in Dallas, thinking I should join this club now while there's very much a good chance of it working out - I feel it's only going to get harder to get in as it gets older

+ Google maps says its a ~25 min drive from my place which is kind of far

+ Wife doesn't golf so this deal is really for me

Thoughts on Lakewood:

+ Lakewood CC is basically next door to where I just bought a house - the golf course i literally on our street a couple blocks over - absolutely I love the idea of popping over anytime I want no hassle

+ Lakewood has the full package of a club (pool, tennis, etc.)

+ Wife could use the fitness, pool and all that which is a big win

+ The course is very nice, but it's nothing great (especially vs. DNGC)

+ In 10years if I move on from Lakewood CC to other areas am I going to care about the membership?? (I prob will always love being a DNGC member)

My gut's telling me Lakewood is just way more practical for a lot of reasons, but call it superficial, whatever... being a member at DNGC and getting to play that as my home course every weekend is UNREAL...I currently pay silly money once or so a year in a while to go play top 100 courses...I could be a member at one!

Very torn here what do yall think?

If your wife isn't a golfer and you're genuinely considering joining one of those aforementioned clubs, you should consider giving Preston Trail a real hard look. The most business I've ever conducted and seen conducted at a golf club has been at Preston Trail and Dallas National, in that order...

Both are A+++ in every category, yet Preston Trail is in a better part of town.
FYI; the vetting process for Preston Trail is like no other.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Thanks, I have played Dallas National many times. A guy I work work with is a member. Issue is I don't like the membership or location. There also seems to be no comradery among members.

Issue with PT I am a member at Lochinvar in Houston so similar club. I just do not think PT is worth the money the course is a 4/10. The Buffett that they tout is just that a Lubys buffett. Just an observation and I have a dozen buddies at PT but it seems like a bratty HP crowd have gotten in recently. My buddies have actually complained about a few young guys who got on the waitlist whose do not have jobs but their grandfathers or fathers where successful and some members on the board think they will get business from their families so they let them in.

I've also been told to look into Trinity Forrest
92TXAG
AG
my opinion only, but I would submit that Dallas National affords more camaraderie & networking with a wide range of age groups than does Trinity Forest, at least for now...TF's membership complexion may change as it matures / develops...

if the wifey-poo golfs, DCC & Bent Tree both have pretty active LGA's
Legend
AG
PT is 8-9 year wait. DCC, brrokhollow and northwood are your best options. Northwood is raising their price. DCC is not a great golf course. If you're in to the park cities it's great.
92TXAG
AG
Legend said:

PT is 8-9 year wait.

nope
Legend
AG
92TXAG said:

Legend said:

PT is 8-9 year wait.

nope
That's what I heard last week from someone who should know. But, I could be wrong.
Yesterday
AG
Come on out to Hackberry. No wait and you pretty much just have to breath and you're in. And you'll get to play with me.
powerbelly
AG
92TXAG said:

Legend said:

PT is 8-9 year wait.

nope
This jives with my understanding
dc509
AG
My understanding is that it's roughly about that. A former employee there told me that the only person to ever skip the wait list was George W. Bush, and apparently that ruffled some feathers. PT's response was something along the lines of that if a person wants to skip the wait list then when they become President of the United States they will be welcome to join immediately.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I have been in dallas for a few weeks headed back to Houston tomorrow and have played quite a few rounds here is my honest assessment. On another note why are private clubs in Dallas so expensive?

DCC - nothing to write home about location is great though. Seems to be a ton of social members not a ton of golf members

Trinity Forest - ok but still needs a lot of work and only time will tell. Seems like the owners bit off more than they could chew.

PT - the course is nothing to "wow" over, buffet is overrated it's a buffet guys. I'm a lochinvar in Houston and would say it's comparable in membership. I do not think it's worth the money and friends of mine who are members complain about how it's become a bratty HP rich kids club now.

Dallas National - course is good, location is awful and there is a waitlist to get out of the club. There is a reason why. Not a top 100 in my opinion. Maybe a top 200 not top 100. For the money 100% not worth it.

Northwood - course was under construction but 19th hole was great

Colonial - Great classic course with a great 19th hole. My favorite course in DFW

Shady Oaks - extremely underrated course loved it

Lakewood - didn't care for it would rather hit off gravel than play here

Royal Oaks - it was good if invited again I would play it

Maridoe - good value for the price. Great job with what they had to work with.

Prestonwood - you get what you pay for and nothing wrong with that. Only played the dallas course but enjoyed it

Glen Eagles - again you get what you pay for but enjoyed it

Tennison Highlands - I got what I paid for not amazing but it got the job done

Stevens Park - good views is Dallas

Old American - best public course in DFW

Cedarcrest - Great value

DAC - man you get every dollar worth

jj9000
AG
So, not a single course stood out amongst the rest?

What are you comparing them to as a baseline?
jja79
AG
Sounds like Dallas is a bad place for a golfer to move to.
jj9000
AG
jja79 said:

Sounds like Dallas is a bad place for a golfer to move to.
It really is.

You and everyone else should stay where you are...and free up the tee sheets for the rest of us.

The reason I asked what he's using as a baseline is that golf.com rated the Dallas area Metroplex as the 4th best city in the US for golf.
HouAggie
AG
Appears that Shady Oaks and Colonial stood out, in his mind.

I can't offer much bc the only course he listed that I've played is Royal Oaks. But I agree wth his assessment of that course.
jj9000
AG
Sorry...I should have been more specific.

The courses he liked are in Fort Worth.

He's moving to the Park Cities, so, I would think that the FW courses would be out of consideration.

I'm surprised there aren't any clubs within a 20 mile radius to the Park Cities that he enjoyed.

dc509
AG
HoustonToDallas said:

I have been in dallas for a few weeks headed back to Houston tomorrow and have played quite a few rounds here is my honest assessment. On another note why are private clubs in Dallas so expensive?

DCC - nothing to write home about location is great though. Seems to be a ton of social members not a ton of golf members

Trinity Forest - great but still needs a lot of work and only time will tell how the course matures. I like it better than Dallas National

PT - the course is nothing to "wow" over but the club house is great so is buffett

Dallas National - course is good, location is awful and there is a waitlist to get out of the club. There is a reason why. Not a top 100 in my opinion. Maybe a top 200 not top 100. For the money 100% not worth it.

Colonial - Great classic course with a great 19th hole

Lakewood - didn't care for it

Royal Oaks - it was ok if invited again I would play it but wouldn't go out of my way to play it

Prestonwood - you get what you pay for and nothing wrong with that. Only played the dallas course but enjoyed it

I would be interested to here your take on why you didn't care for Lakewood? My wife and I live in east Dallas, and are strongly considering it.

*Yes, I know there is a wait list and everything that goes with it.
Legend
AG
HoustonToDallas said:

Trinity Forest - great but still needs a lot of work and only time will tell how the course matures. I like it better than Dallas National

PT - the course is nothing to "wow" over but the club house is great so is buffett

Colonial - Great classic course with a great 19th hole

Lakewood - didn't care for it

Royal Oaks - it was ok if invited again I would play it but wouldn't go out of my way to play it

What is the price at Maridoe? It was a good, cheap, track when it was Columbian Club. Never played it when it became Honors. I think the issue was always the clubhouse.

Yesterday
AG
One thing to consider is that most courses up here are going through a transition from summer to winter and not many look great at the moment. The warm fall hasn't killed the Bermuda and let the rye grass in yet so most of your higher end courses that over seed won't look all that great.

I thought Dallas National was outstanding but you're right that it's in a terrible location. Colonial is top notch but their tee sheet fills up. If I lived in Fort Worth I would definitely consider joining Colonial. If you really want to join a club I would look at the closest one to you that you enjoyed. Driving all the way to Colonial or Shady Oaks will become a pain after a few months.
Matsui
AG
which clubs do most of the pga or top dallas area talent belong to?
Yesterday
AG
Matsui said:

Dallas National. The practice area is second to none. A few are up north at TPC Craig Ranch.
92TXAG
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Matsui said:

Dallas National. The practice area is second to none. A few are up north at TPC Craig Ranch.

...and Vaquero
Yesterday
AG
92TXAG said:

03ki11erAG said:

Matsui said:

...and Vaquero

Wouldn't surprise me.
Legend
AG
Definitely Vaquero. Close to DFW, gated with little traffic. lots of pros out there. A few play Brookhollow. Palmer and someone else is on at colonial. I think speith plays at all of the above.

Craig Ranch is more the young guys trying to get their cards and the woman who won the US open last year.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I really loved the history at Shady Oaks and the Colonial. Thought the pros were awesome and overall jut great courses.

DCC seems to be all hype. The location on mockingbird is great but the course was no better than a muni down in Houston. Lakewood was not an amazing course but I have a few friends who love it. I would never go out of my way to play it again.

I played brook hollow a few years ago before the redo and it was great really enjoyed the history and the course. Location was not bad either. Based on coworkers in dallas it seems to be more difficult the dcc to get into and has a better course.
Waitlist was long but I would say brook hollow or Northwood are my top 2 choices to join a club. Both clubs seems to be high quality and drip of history.

I love the membership at preston trail. The course isn't great but it's fun and playable but it's a lot of money.

I have never understood the hype of dallas national. The top 100 courses vary based on the publication and it's not on most of the top 100 ranking publications. I'm a non resident member at a top 50 club outside of Texas and I just feel it doesn't have the awful factor of a top 100. It seems to also feel kind of cheap for what you pay. This is just my opinion. Thought the course was good but wouldn't want to join for the cost.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
The location was not ideal for me and I did not like the course. I have friends out there who love it though
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I was told it wa $80k
jja79
AG
What clubs do you like in Houston?
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Although all outside of Houston I love Whispering Pines, and Blue Jack National. I play at Champions it reminds me of Preston Trail. Just a golf club with no bells as whistles.

I enjoyed the Club at Carlton Woods as well
dc509
AG
That's fair.
GeorgeBailey
AG
Lakewood is all about location and history. 2nd oldest club in Dallas (105 years old), always meticulous shape, and passionate golf members. Considering its an inner city location, I have encountered more wildlife on the course than I have seen hiking through many National Parks. Hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats are not uncommon if you pay attention. Great course for walking and carrying your bag as well.

If the course was challenging enough for Hogan, Nelson, Spieth...

Just saying.
austinaggie2012
Playing Rock Creek Country Club in Gordonville on Friday. Anybody Played out there?
dc509
AG
jonaadams said:

Lakewood is all about location and history. 2nd oldest club in Dallas (105 years old), always meticulous shape, and passionate golf members. Considering its an inner city location, I have encountered more wildlife on the course than I have seen hiking through many National Parks. Hawks, owls, coyotes, bobcats are not uncommon if you pay attention. Great course for walking and carrying your bag as well.

If the course was challenging enough for Hogan, Nelson, Spieth...

Just saying.
That's pretty cool.
garysum
AG
I live in Frisco so not a candidate for DAC membership. Thought your post was very informative. Always wanted to try out DAC but didn't know a member. If willing to host a weekend guest round for a class of '89 Ag, send me a PM. Handicap index is 8.0.
turfaggie24
AG
Driven by many times, but never played. A few people I know that have played say the layout and setting is phenomenal. Supposedly it's very difficult to get on, must have property or be a guest of someone who does. I may be in the market...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.