Expect the SEC to Sign a 9 Figure Deal With ABC

14,890 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Humorous Username
Ciboag96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SEC gonna eat

Meanwhile! The Big12 EST....
'03ag
91_Aggie said:

BohunkAg said:

33 said:

Very cool. I would like to see the P5 conferences take less money if they could control the schedules more than they do now. Or, at least consider that as part of these negotiations. Then we don't have to have 2:30 games in Texas during September.
If we started our own TV network, we could take less money and play whenever we wanted.
You can't put a price on getting that game against Kansas every year on the LHN!
To be fair that game is often exhilarating.
DifferenceMaker Ag
TPS_Report said:

Madman said:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/12/16/Media/Sports-media.aspx

And we are just getting started boys.
Going from $55 mil per year to $300 mill would mean an increase of $16 million per year per team! This 100-year decision keeps getting better!
Looks like we're gonna renovate Kyle Field every 9 years with plenty left over.

It's good to be the king.
YellowPot_97
AG
Redneck math
Madman
AG
BohunkAg said:

33 said:

Very cool. I would like to see the P5 conferences take less money if they could control the schedules more than they do now. Or, at least consider that as part of these negotiations. Then we don't have to have 2:30 games in Texas during September.
If we started our own TV network, we could take less money and play whenever we wanted.

Well except when teams refuse games because of sip tv.
Dr. Doctor
AG
AgDotCom said:

TPS_Report said:

Madman said:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/12/16/Media/Sports-media.aspx

Going from $55 mil per year to $300 mill would mean an increase of $16 million per year per team! This 100-year decision keeps getting better!
Wait a minute. If this happens does it mean that based on this $16 million increase by itself, Vanderbilt would be paid $1 million more per year that the $15 million / year the LHN pays to Texas?

Surely that can't be true. Right?
But you're forgetting the 8 years that the LHN has been broadcasting, giving them $15 million each year, so it will take Vanderbilt 120 years to catch up to the mighty longhorns...

/tsip logic

~egon
ccatag
AG
All this money is 'Grant of Rights' free. No need to sign a Grant of Rights because the SEC is good for it.

On-the-otherhand, past and any future bdf media deals have and will require a Grant of Rights commitment. Haha
McInnis80
The article is just a list of predictions for sports media. The CBS deal runs through the 2023 season. The new deal is going to be a lot more expensive. The projected numbers look right. The only question is who will be the lucky bidder. I bet that CBS makes more from the SEC than the NFL. Last time the deal was up the SEC took less money to stay with CBS in order to preserve the exclusive window at 3:30 on broadcast TV.

CBS recently shelled out for the Champions League, so someone will be backing up the Brinks truck to the SEC office.
BronkNagurski
TPS_Report said:

Madman said:

You mean Lil' Sliver's payout will increase by a LHN payout?
AnScAggie
AG
91_Aggie said:

It ain't groupthink with Danielson... he is that bad. and if you don't think so, then you obviously like horrible things.

In the history of TexAgs, never has a truer statement been made.
Madman
AG
McInnis80 said:

The article is just a list of predictions for sports media. The CBS deal runs through the 2023 season. The new deal is going to be a lot more expensive. The projected numbers look right. The only question is who will be the lucky bidder. I bet that CBS makes more from the SEC than the NFL. Last time the deal was up the SEC took less money to stay with CBS in order to preserve the exclusive window at 3:30 on broadcast TV.

CBS recently shelled out for the Champions League, so someone will be backing up the Brinks truck to the SEC office.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2019/12/SEC.aspx

Reports saying a deal worth more than 6X the previous $55M is close to being done. That CBS bid $300M but ABC/ESPN bid more. CBS walking away. Original report may have had just a bit of insider info.
Madman
AG

Quote:

CBS will walk away from the SEC when its contract ends after the 2023 football season, and all indications are that the package will move to ESPN/ABC. CBS decided to exit the negotiations for college football's most-watched TV package after making an aggressive bid in the neighborhood of $300 million per season -- a massive increase from the $55 million it currently pays annually. CBS Sports execs decided that it made more sense to invest the money they would have paid the SEC into other sports. When contacted this afternoon by SBJ, CBS Sports PR emailed the following statement: "We made a strong and responsible bid. While we've had success with the SEC on CBS, we are instead choosing to aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward."

Multiple sources said ESPN/ABC is in the final stages of negotiating a deal that is expected to pay more than six times the $55 million per year fee that CBS currently pays, sources said. Fox Sports execs still are planning to make an official bid presentation at SEC HQ in Birmingham next month. But sources say ESPN's negotiations are in the final stages. ESPN and Fox Sports would not comment
MSU/SECALUM
Madman said:

Quote:

CBS will walk away from the SEC when its contract ends after the 2023 football season, and all indications are that the package will move to ESPN/ABC. CBS decided to exit the negotiations for college football's most-watched TV package after making an aggressive bid in the neighborhood of $300 million per season -- a massive increase from the $55 million it currently pays annually. CBS Sports execs decided that it made more sense to invest the money they would have paid the SEC into other sports. When contacted this afternoon by SBJ, CBS Sports PR emailed the following statement: "We made a strong and responsible bid. While we've had success with the SEC on CBS, we are instead choosing to aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward."

Multiple sources said ESPN/ABC is in the final stages of negotiating a deal that is expected to pay more than six times the $55 million per year fee that CBS currently pays, sources said. Fox Sports execs still are planning to make an official bid presentation at SEC HQ in Birmingham next month. But sources say ESPN's negotiations are in the final stages. ESPN and Fox Sports would not comment

New TV deal that replaces CBS with ESPN could mean $23 million-plus annually for each SEC school

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/21/tv-deal-sec-million/
Maroon Dawn
AG
If only we had stayed in the Little 10!

Less money, less attention and the thrill of 11am games vs teams literally nobody gives a **** about

Once again the joke is on us!
Tom Doniphon
I bet this deal winds up being north of $400MM and maybe as high as $500MM.

That's nearly as good as our own little piss ant channel... right?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG

300 million more than the current contract

15 shares divided up means $20,000,000 more per a year

So what will talkative being us up to? 60,000.000 a year?
AgDotCom
The numbers are great, but I'm not sure how long I'd like this deal to be. IMO, the future may be cutting out middlemen and going conference network direct to consumers / viewers.

The NFL might already be slowly boiling the frog, we'll see. Note how they've gone from Thursday only on NFL Network to Saturday games also beginning in 2014. Three games yesterday all on NFL network.. Of course the NFL realizes content is king and you can't have good content unless you have a great league which means no one team trying to run the show.
ccatag
AG
Yes, quite a few years left to run with CBS and no mention of how long this new deal with ABC/ESPN will run for (term). I understand you need to plan ahead and make decisions for the future. I'm surprised this is being worked so soon but what do I know? Information is trickling out. Nothing concrete yet, in my opinion. I do love these media conference threads though. I do. Haha

Conference realignment is another great topic.

The bdf and their situation will be interesting. Their media contract runs until 2025 (I believe?). You can bet a Grant of Rights will be required before anything gets done with the bdf. The sip tv channel runs until 2030 so there is that, too.
Post removed:
by user
TommyBrady
AG
The new TV deal will pay all of our yearly athletic bond debt payments. That means all of our current facilities are paid for with a few million left over for future projects. Indoor Tennis and Blue Bell Park are next
Flexbone
AgStuckinLBK said:

63.7 Million per team, assuming zero other increases (which won't happen).

Look for the per team number to be $65m.

Holy hell, absolutely unbelievable. Less than 10 years ago we received $8m.
Jock 07
AG
Señor Chang
AG
Remember back in 2008 when we were promised Beebe bucks to stay in the BDF?

We owe Loftin a statue outside of Kyle Field.
wbt5845
AG
Flexbone said:

AgStuckinLBK said:

63.7 Million per team, assuming zero other increases (which won't happen).

Look for the per team number to be $65m.

Holy hell, absolutely unbelievable. Less than 10 years ago we received $8m.
Vanderbilt gets more in TV money than t.u.

Let that sink in.
Madman
AG
Maybe we should start putting the suicide prevention number in our signatures for the resident sips?
Muy
AG
It's almost unfair.
BohunkAg
AG
Seor Chang said:

Those dip-sh-ts called us greedy for wanting 20 mil to stay. We will be getting $65 million now.

Madman
AG
Muy said:

It's almost unfair.
It is totally unfair that the sips get any money for their garbage content.
Wildcat
AG
Seor Chang said:

Perhaps we should erect one to Deloss Dodds as well.
BohunkAg
AG
Wildcat said:

Seor Chang said:

Perhaps we should erect one to Deloss Dodds as well.
I know someone who gets erect to Deloss

Tom Doniphon
Ol' Del...
Tom Doniphon
Madman
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

I LOVE IT.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AGGIES!
Señor Chang
AG
Vanderbilt will make more from media rights than the sips. Vanderbilt.
Tom Doniphon
Great coaches will never be poached from the SEC now... that was predicted right here on this very board 8 or 9 years ago (by Bonfire96 I believe). This is a complete and total game changer.

Whatever problems SEC schools may have, money ain't gonna be one of them.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.