SEC Network is valued at $4.692 billion, Big Ten Network at $1.142 billion and Pac-12

9,083 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by fistofsouth
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

What helps SEC Network is high demand for the product, and one of the more expensive subscriber fees out of sports television networks. Ryan Smith, vice president of content for AT&T's U-Verse, told AL.com in 2015 that subscriber intensity for SEC sports was "off the charts for what we normally see for sports."

The SEC Network's average monthly subscriber fee is $0.74, according to SNL Kagan's most recent data, a good chunk more than the Big Ten ($0.43) and Pac-12 ($0.27). That average monthly subscriber fee, which takes into account in-market and out-of-market prices, makes the SEC Network the fifth-most expensive sports network for consumers behind ESPN ($7.21), NFL Network ($1.39), FS1 ($1.15) and ESPN2 ($0.90).

Based on subscriber number and fee estimates, the SEC Network is generating approximately $545 million off subscriber fees alone -- more than NBC Sports, MLB Network and NBA TV. That doesn't take into account the revenue generated through SEC Network's placement on over-the-top platforms Sling TV, DirecTV Now and the recently launched Hulu Live TV. SEC Network recently announced it would soon be available in Mexico which should boost revenue albeit potentially minimally.

"SEC Network is strongly positioned because of interest in the content and the significant audience, partly because of the approach they've taken with the business model having ESPN fully invested in getting it distributed," said Dan Shevlick, vice president of Sports Media Advisors.

The success of the SEC Network is rarely considered when discussing ESPN's current issues, but by all accounts, it's been an unabashed success for all involved. It is wholly owned by ESPN -- it keeps more than 50 percent of the profits in its deal with the SEC -- and represents a significant profit center even after losing subscribers since 2015. As time passes, the operational costs will become more fixed and the startup expenses further in the rearview mirror, helping the profit margin.
Quote:

"The SEC has that inherent advantage that if Alabama or Auburn is playing the Little Sisters of the Poor, people are still going to watch in huge numbers," Jeff Nelson, vice president of client strategy at Navigate Research, previously told AL.com.

What will be interesting is whether the SEC Network can improve upon its $1.30 in-market subscription fee in future carriage negotiations with cable providers. If it can do that -- and it is believed to be well within the realm of possibilities -- that could further push the SEC Network ahead of its conference TV competition.
Wildmen03
AG
https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/2853080
W
AG
is Larry Scott still a genius?

got all that praise heaped upon him and accolades galore...he was a visionary leader
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Redneck accounting
redd38
AG
What's the value of the Big 12 Network?
brainman5000
AG
redd38 said:

What's the value of the Big 12 Network?

Great point, after we lost to Kansas State in football and got knocked out of our most recent basketball and baseball (TWICE) tournaments by them...
Bottlehead90
AG
Not having a conference network

Priceless
McInnis80
I wonder why the Big 10 Network is worth so much less than the SEC Network? Could it be that they could not charge the full in state rate to New Jersey or New York, especially since people in New York could care less about college sports, and care even less about Rutgers?

Or is it people moving from traditional Big 10 country to SEC Nation?
AgCat93
AG
So, assuming the value is spread across the 14 member institutions, each share is worth $335,142, 857. Each member's share is worth more than the PAC 12 Network AS A WHOLE.

Loftin and the 100 Year Decision - more proof of his foresight and brilliance in getting A&M away from the Big XII cesspool.
JADE
JADE
AG
Another quote.
It's push, time to build the stack!
BESCo91
AG
JADE said:

...the Aggies are the only school in Texas that belongs to the SEC. Quite frankly, I do not envision Texas A&M ever risking the loss of that distinction by supporting or promoting the future inclusion of Texas in the SEC. -- Loftin - The 100 Year Decision

A&M would be one of several SEC schools that would vote 'no' on tu joining the conference.
A&M, Arkansas, LSU, and Mizzou.
Then add in the 'only 1 SEC school in my state voting bloc', and you also get Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina.
Oh great. This discussion again.
EscondidoAg82
AG
BESCo91 said:

JADE said:

...the Aggies are the only school in Texas that belongs to the SEC. Quite frankly, I do not envision Texas A&M ever risking the loss of that distinction by supporting or promoting the future inclusion of Texas in the SEC. -- Loftin - The 100 Year Decision

A&M would be one of several SEC schools that would vote 'no' on tu joining the conference.
A&M, Arkansas, LSU, and Mizzou.
Then add in the 'only 1 SEC school in my state voting bloc', and you also get Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina.
"Poor longhorns"!
Dallasag02
AG
Quote:

Never underestimate the stupidity of an organization led by John Sharp.
wbt5845
AG
Wait a second - wait a second.

Our EQUITY share of SECN is worth more than the ENTIRE LHN payout over the life of the contract?

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
petey88
33 said:

and what's funny is you're here reading it again
88jrt06
AG
33 said:

petey88 said:

33 said:

I read it because this thread was about the SEC valuation but then it took a turn back to the same old subject.
APHIS AG
33 said:

petey88 said:

33 said:

I read it because this thread was about the SEC valuation but then it took a turn back to the same old subject.
A subject that will never, ever get old, for us.
petey88
APHIS AG said:

33 said:

petey88 said:

33 said:

A subject that will never, ever get old, for us.

Never will get old, and the fact the sips got left way behind in the rear view. Getting beat by Kansas last year pretty much shows, and now they are on their 3rd HC in the last three and half years, since Mack Brown was gone after the Alamo Bowl in 2013.
Potcake
AG
Poor 33, subjected to inanity day after day. If only there were some option for him.
dreyOO
wbt5845 said:

Our EQUITY share of SECN is worth more than the ENTIRE LHN payout over the life of the contract?

Even little old Vandy has higher value in this math.

This is why I laugh at the demise of ESPN. I don't care about them. The product and rapid consumer base will always find a way to enrich the schools. ESPN is the current medium, but it really doesn't matter. They are just a middleman right now.
goodAg80
AG
33 said:

Let's talk about Texas vs. Bama and Colt McCoy.
AggieTFA06
AG
goodAg80 said:

33 said:

Let's talk about Texas vs. Bama and Colt McCoy.
Texas vs Bama was long ago. How about something more current, like tu's last game in Ames, Iowa or tu's most recent trip to Lawrence, Kansas
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
petey88

well, I'm Ok with discussing the sips losing to Kansas at this point, but on the other hand, being the leaders in that being the power house of the BDF is certainly a step up

thanks 33
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Just found out how quick it is to be banned on the shag.

They were talking about moving the sips to another conference and someone suggested the SEC was where he wanted the sips to go.

I explained (very nicely) that A&M, Arkansas and Missouri would probably say no and it only takes one vote.

I received a response that if the sips wanted to go the SEC, they would kick us to the curb.

Then they banned me.

No bad words, derogatory remarks, dirty pictures etc,,,,,just the truth.

Wow, things must be pretty bad over there.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
dreyOO said:

wbt5845 said:

This is why I laugh at the demise of ESPN. I don't care about them. The product and rapid consumer base will always find a way to enrich the schools. ESPN is the current medium, but it really doesn't matter. They are just a middleman right now.
Don't they own the SEC Network ?
wbt5845
AG
dreyOO said:

wbt5845 said:

McInnis80
"Randy" and his ilk have no clue how the SEC works. Our new friends prefer working with schools that have each other's back and don't need an institution that enjoys stabbing its partners in the back.

It is a royal pain trying to schedule 14 teams. I can't see expanding to 16, especially if the new teams don't greatly expand the pie. The only way I see going to16 is if the two new schools are Virginia and North Carolina. And I don't see them leaving the ACC.
Why is it so hard to schedule 14 teams?
goodAg80
AG
33 said:

We are rednecks. About as hard as avoiding marrying a relative.
Potcake
AG
33 said:

Why is it so hard to have 12 teams in your conference?
petey88
Potcake said:

33 said:

he's busy reading the article again
petey88 said:

Potcake said:

33 said:

he's busy reading the article again
Potcake, I never said it was hard to have 12 teams in the Big12. McInnis said it was a "royal pain" to schedule 14 teams, which prompted my question.

Petey, I never read the article. I was just following the thread.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.