Puff those birdy chests out, sips

9,556 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by El Nino in Londontown
StephenvilleAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As every pro baseball player worth his salt for the past 115 years has said: "I'd rather be in the major leagues playing with and competing against the best than be stuck in the minors bdf10."
El Nino in Londontown
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The biggest achievement by our little brother sips' football program in the past 5 years? Some players at Louisville got drafted.
Meanwhile in CS, aggies are puffing their chest because they came in next to last in the SEC West.

Of course, according to aggie lore & legend that means 1st in any other conference.

Congratulations and continued success.

You know who came in last in the SEC West? The school that put an apple in your mouth and spit roasted you on a crimson hog Cock on national TV in your bowl game. The one who held us to 523 yards, and you to 59. You sound pretty ****ing stupid.
BiochemAg97
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The biggest achievement by our little brother sips' football program in the past 5 years? Some players at Louisville got drafted.
Meanwhile in CS, aggies are puffing their chest because they came in next to last in the SEC West.

Of course, according to aggie lore & legend that means 1st in any other conference.

LH55,

What did Strong mean when he said he didn't want to walk into College Station right now?

Thanks.
LOL! Just love the way you aggies pick and choose when to believe good old chollie.

55, should we not believe strong when he said he didn't want to walk into CS? How about when he saiid he needed to win some games?

When a coach expresses how they feel (didn't want to walk into CS) or a goal (need to win some games), those are clues to what he is thinking, and he is I complete control of that, and it is not outcome dependent.

Statements like we fixed all the problems from 59 yard is merely a statement of s belief. Maybe charlie thinks he fixed those problems, but we have future games that haven't happened yet to show if Charlie is right.

Do you see the difference?

What about when he says under oath that he doesn't know who calles the plays. That is a great statement, because either CS is lying and knows who called the plays, or he is telling the truth and doesn't know who called the plays. Recognizing the cause of a problem is an important step in fixing the problem. How can you evaluate what went wrong if you don't even know who was responsible? And if you can't tell what went wrong, how can you know the problem is fixed (see above).
whoop91
AG
I like LH55. I think he trolls better than most around here. He responds just enough to keep the cycle continuing.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
well he won more than ole kevin sumlin. he won a bcs game by destroying an sec team.
Yeah, beating 2012 Florida (who won nothing of consequence) is way more impressive then beating 2012 OU (who won a conference championship that year, wiping their ass with t.u. on the way) or beating 2012 Alabama (who won the national title that year).

God you people are ****ing stupid.
Silent For Too Long
No one thinks its a positive for the program, dip****.

I have yet to see a single poster anywhere on this site say that the 2014 campaign is a feather in Sumlins cap.

However, the fact that his worst year yet is leagues ahead of Chollie's first year speaks volumes. We had a mediocre to poor year last year. And yet, it wasn't anywhere close to how ****ty your beloved t-shirt program performed.
up-n-aTm
AG
quote:

You know who came in last in the SEC West? The school that put an apple in your mouth and spit roasted you on a crimson hog Cock on national TV in your bowl game. The one who held us to 523 yards, and you to 59. You sound pretty ****ing stupid.

Rocco S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any response LH55?
Sure I do.

And?

All you just did is reinforce my point that you think coming in next to last to the team that beat Texas is a positive for your program. Actually, quite sad how low your expectations are for your program. But enjoy being an also ran in the SEC!

Thanks for the softball.

Nobody said it was a positive for the program. It was just pointed out how f'ing stupid it makes you look to be pointing out our finish in the division, when the team that finished last within our division, who we beat, destroyed your tshirt team.
TexasTradition
quote:

I have yet to see a single poster anywhere on this site say that the 2014 campaign is a feather in Sumlins cap.

However, the fact that his worst year yet is leagues ahead of Chollie's first year speaks volumes. We had a mediocre to poor year last year. And yet, it wasn't anywhere close to how ****ty your beloved t-shirt program performed.

This guy gets it. Then throw in Evans and Manziel who had like 7 seconds to throw the ball to him or scramble in a ton of space each play.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-Luke-Joeckel-Jake-Matthews-Cedric-Ogbuehi-37113154

A few sprinkles of nfl defensive talent here and there on this Texas team was never going to change just how completely dire the OL and QB situation Strong inherited comparatively. Nor was it EVER going to be fixed overnight.

Complete Apples to Oranges situation when comparing these two coaches first seasons.

And yes, until Texas solves the OL/QB situation which has plagued them for at least 5 seasons now... it will be more of the same. That much we can agree on.
StephenvilleAg77
txtradition:
  • Tangibles: Sumlin inherited an underachieving team that had graduated a ton of talent and had huge holes and question marks everywhere except the OL. It was very similar to the situation Strong walked into, only Strong's new roster was loaded on defense instead of OL. Lots of upperclassmen on last year's sip team. On offense, Strong had holes, but also had experienced talent at some positions. His challenge was to find a way to take the pieces on offense, patch it together, and make it a serviceable unit.
  • Intangibles: Sumlin changed the attitude of the team and the program. Sumlin disciplined the two most talented guys on the team, btw. Strong tried to do the same thing (change the attitude), but the results were more mixed. Strong's biggest two errors were his decision to gamble on Ash, and his belief in his UL offensive scheme. If not for Utx's talent advantage over most of the big12, the 2014 season would have been a lot worse than 6-7 with five embarrassing blowout losses by margins of 21 to 38 points.
  • Strong has his work cut out for him in 2015 (so does Sumlin, btw, but that's the normal existence for every program in the SEC West). The sip offense will be better, the defense worse. On the plus side, Strong put together a solid 2014 recruiting class. At least half will likely play this season.
Rocco S
quote:
quote:

This guy gets it. Then throw in Evans and Manziel who had like 7 seconds to throw the ball to him or scramble in a ton of space each play.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-Luke-Joeckel-Jake-Matthews-Cedric-Ogbuehi-37113154

A few sprinkles of nfl defensive talent here and there on this Texas team was never going to change just how completely dire the OL and QB situation Strong inherited comparatively. Nor was it EVER going to be fixed overnight.

Complete Apples to Oranges situation when comparing these two coaches first seasons.

And yes, until Texas solves the OL/QB situation which has plagued them for at least 5 seasons now... it will be more of the same. That much we can agree on.
Except there is a big difference here. Sumlin and Kingsbury molded and adapted their offense based on what they had to work with. That's what good coaches do. That's what Gus did at Auburn with Marshall.

Charlie, Watson, and Wickline tried to mold what they had into their offense. Thats what bad coaches do. That's what Fran did. Your coaches had 2 scholarship QBs, 3 if you count Ash, and all 3 of them were best suited for an option based offense of some sort. Additionally, they had little talent at WR, but good talent at RB. However, they attempted to shoe horn the players they had into their own pro style offense. And rather than sign a pro style QB, they signed Locklsey, who is cut from the same type of QB that they already have on campus. Add that to the fact that they lost a ton of 4-5 star talent off their defense and play in an offense and QB driven conference, and anyone but the most delusional hornfans can see the writing on the wall.

You and your fans claim our success on offense is all based on Sherman's offensive recruits but don't want to accept our defensive issues are also largely Sherman's fault based on his lack of recruiting on that side of the ball. When we have offensive success, Sherman gets the credit. When we have defensive issues, Sumlin gets the blame. Then you want to give Charlie a pass based on not yet having his recruits, despite the fact Mack was recruiting better than Sherman.
TexasTradition
How am I wrong? Even your own in the article states that Oline class was the foundation of your success moving forward. Quite likely the best Oline haul in history.

When you have a dominant Oline it transforms a football team more than anything imo. A great Oline can make an JAG QB look better than he is. Throw in a real talent, and that QB becomes great. And a dominant Oline in a spread offense with Evans at WR? Look out. Credit to Sumlin. But to simply sweep under the rug what Sherman left him to play to his strengths is beneath any knowlegable football fan.

As far as Texas goes, I was less than thrilled with the Watson hire and still am. Hes not a good fit for Texas, this is a spread state.

Bridgewater was the most NFL ready QB to go to NFL last yr. And Watson said it himself, hes never seen a QB recruit be able to pick up the complexities of his offense as quickly as Texdy did. His offense is too complex for college QBs to grasp without 3+ yrs of learning other than the rare exception like Teddy. Ash would have been able to handle it better than Swoopes, but was never going to survive behind a trash Oline with like 5 total starts between the 5 and losing the best and only good OL before the season even started. Hell, one starter was a DL conversion with zero experience.

I think moving to a hurry up and pre set reads of a spread O will help this line and the QBs simply by dumbing it way down, and fits Wicklines history at OSU... but I think we are still trying to fit a round peg into a square hole with Watson.

Woukd not be surprised if this is Watsons last year here, and a true spread OC is brought in much like TCU did ladt year.

Tamu_mgm
AG
The funny thing:

A&M did have a down year and still drafted two players (one in 1st round), and got 5 other players signed as UDFAs immediately after.

Wasn't it JUST last year that the whorns had ZERO drafted guys huh? I already know what you're thinking **but but duhhh those were mack's players duhh derp**

Keep on riding the success of players at Strong's previous school. It helps to cover up the **** that is going on in the 40 acres. Nevermind the coaches who developed them for the last season+ by the way (Petrino and Grantham). Because ALL that matters is who recruited them and coached them almost 2-4 years ago RIGHT?!?!?!

Rocco S
quote:
How am I wrong? Even your own in the article states that Oline class was the foundation of your success moving forward. Quite likely the best Oline haul in history.

When you have a dominant Oline it transforms a football team more than anything imo. A great Oline can make an JAG QB look better than he is. Throw in a real talent, and that QB becomes great. And a dominant Oline in a spread offense with Evans at WR? Look out. Credit to Sumlin. But to simply sweep under the rug what Sherman left him to play to his strengths is beneath any knowlegable football fan.

As far as Texas goes, I was less than thrilled with the Watson hire and still am. Hes not a good fit for Texas, this is a spread state.

Bridgewater was the most NFL ready QB to go to NFL last yr. And Watson said it himself, hes never seen a QB recruit be able to pick up the complexities of his offense as quickly as Texdy did. His offense is too complex for college QBs to grasp without 3+ yrs of learning other than the rare exception like Teddy. Ash would have been able to handle it better than Swoopes, but was never going to survive behind a trash Oline with like 5 total starts between the 5 and losing the best and only good OL before the season even started. Hell, one starter was a DL conversion with zero experience.

I think moving to a hurry up and pre set reads of a spread O will help this line and the QBs simply by dumbing it way down, and fits Wicklines history at OSU... but I think we are still trying to fit a round peg into a square hole with Watson.

Woukd not be surprised if this is Watsons last year here, and a true spread OC is brought in much like TCU did ladt year.

You still don't get it. I'm not saying you're wrong about the OL Sumlin inherited. He absolutely inherited a great one, as well as JFF and Evans. But you and your fans don't want to accept he inherited very little defensively. He had a good foundation of seniors his first year, with Stewart, Porter, and making a player out of Nealy. He also had Moore, maybe the best DE in CFB. Those guys were all gone after 2012 and Sherman's lack of defensive recruiting showed up in a big way the last 2 seasons. However, our defensive problems can't all be chalked up to recruiting, and Snyder was deservingly fired. His replacement happens to be maybe the best DC in CFB. Strong isn't going to be able to hire an OC of that caliber, even if he fires Watson.

StephenvilleAg77
tx-tradition: Evans was a rs frosh with zero experience. Manziel was a rs frosh with zero experience. Sumlin had no choice but to start true freshmen at cb, dt, de. Our DL and Lb units were as patchwork as your OL/TE unit. Sumlin's staff adjusted to the offensive and defensive players they had and utilized those strengths. Strong's staff didn't do nearly as good job of that in their first year at utx, especially on offense. Strong realized that after the season, thus: the change in the sip offense.
aggiehawg
AG
Clint Hurtt's resume from the Louisville site:

quote:
Coaching Experience
2001-02:
Miami (Fla.) (Volunteer Strength and Conditioning)
2003-04: Miami (Fla.) (Graduate Assistant)
2005: FIU (Defensive Line)
2006: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line)
2007-09: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
2010-13: Louisville (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
quote:
Louisville
Established himself as one of the nation's top recruiters, putting the Cardinals on the national scene with five stellar recruiting classes
Named Top 50 Recruiter by 247 Sports
The 2011 class was the best in the history of the school, ranking 22nd by ESPN.com, 29th by Rivals.com and 33rd by Scout.com. Hurtt was recognized by ESPN.com as the National Recruiter of the Year in 2011
Continues to develop young talent on the defensive line, including Marcus Smith, who has 9.5 sacks in the last two seasons
In 2011, the Cardinals finished 21st in the nation in sacks and 22nd in tackles for loss, as the Cardinals ranked 10th in the nation against the run with a 100.54 average
Helped the Cardinals finish sixth in the nation in sacks and 29th in tackles for loss after the Cardinals were ranked 58th and 63rd, respectively, in 2009 -- the year prior to Hurrt's arrival
Miami (Fla.)
Hurtt signed the top recruiting class in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2008 and 2009, while with the Hurricanes.
Signed the No. 1 recruiting class in the country in 2008, according to ESPN.com. The 2009 class was ranked in the top 10 in the country as six of the signees were ranked in the ESPN.com Top 150.
LINK

But it was all Strong, not Hurtt.
dreyOO
quote:
His offense is too complex for college QBs to grasp without 3+ yrs of learning other than the rare exception like Teddy.

Sounds like Chollie brought a great plan. I'm sure firing assistants off his first staff was part of the same plan.
TexasTradition
Oh I get it Rocco. And if Strong took over a team with 5+future NFL players, mostly first rounders and a couple top 5 picks... along the Defensive Line from one recruiting class to utilize for the next few years (the greatest in Texas history), it would have been a big time foundation to build the D around at Texas.

But I would still take a dominant Oline any day of the week. And how is it any different that you point out the inherited deficiencies on your D, but it means nothing that we inherited the same on offense?

And the knock on Sumlin has ALWAYS been the defense. I think the Chavis hire is a great one and will be interesting to watch, but if yall are not playing in any playoffs or conf champ games in the next 3 years and the defense does not meet expectations, Sumlin will not have a leg to stand on. It will show there is something else missing, and the finger pointing will be directed at Sumlin. Hes now 4 yrs in.

Is Strong the answer for us? Not sure, but we will know alot more definitively in yr 3 than we do now. And you never know what proven OC or the next up and commer will be available

We need a stud class this yr with DL/OL talent to compliment last yrs and another QB to compliment Buschele... such as Xavier Gaines. If we can win 7-8 games this year and do just that... then the arrow is certainly pointing up.

But I will rest my judgement until at least after yr 3.
TexasTradition
quote:
Clint Hurtt's resume from the Louisville site:

quote:
Coaching Experience
2001-02:
Miami (Fla.) (Volunteer Strength and Conditioning)
2003-04: Miami (Fla.) (Graduate Assistant)
2005: FIU (Defensive Line)
2006: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line)
2007-09: Miami (Fla.) (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
2010-13: Louisville (Defensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
quote:
Louisville
Established himself as one of the nation's top recruiters, putting the Cardinals on the national scene with five stellar recruiting classes
Named Top 50 Recruiter by 247 Sports
The 2011 class was the best in the history of the school, ranking 22nd by ESPN.com, 29th by Rivals.com and 33rd by Scout.com. Hurtt was recognized by ESPN.com as the National Recruiter of the Year in 2011
Continues to develop young talent on the defensive line, including Marcus Smith, who has 9.5 sacks in the last two seasons
In 2011, the Cardinals finished 21st in the nation in sacks and 22nd in tackles for loss, as the Cardinals ranked 10th in the nation against the run with a 100.54 average
Helped the Cardinals finish sixth in the nation in sacks and 29th in tackles for loss after the Cardinals were ranked 58th and 63rd, respectively, in 2009 -- the year prior to Hurrt's arrival
Miami (Fla.)
Hurtt signed the top recruiting class in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2008 and 2009, while with the Hurricanes.
Signed the No. 1 recruiting class in the country in 2008, according to ESPN.com. The 2009 class was ranked in the top 10 in the country as six of the signees were ranked in the ESPN.com Top 150.
LINK

But it was all Strong, not Hurtt.

Of course it was Aggiehawg. Tons of 4 and 5 stars he lured to Kentucky right? No, they were all majority 3 stars and the classes ranked in the high 40's other than high 20's 2011. Strong gets zero credit for any of that? lol. And yet without Hurtt, the Florida boys still came (5 of top 50 ranked Fl players), and Strong (who spent years recruiting florida) had the highest ranked class HE has ever recruited as a head coach BY FAR this year.

Please keep the Florida players coming Chollie.
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
...Watson said it himself, hes never seen a QB recruit be able to pick up the complexities of his offense as quickly as Texdy did. His offense is too complex for college QBs to grasp without 3+ yrs of learning other than the rare exception like Teddy.
Coaching error by Watson. He had been in this situation multiple times in his long career, and those earlier times he responded by modifying his offense to match limited qb's.
quote:
Ash would have been able to handle it better than Swoopes, but was never going to survive behind a trash Oline with like 5 tottal starts between the 5 and losing the best and only good OL before the season even started.
Multiple coaching decision errors here. 1. Strong & Watson should have known Ash wasn't going to survive behind ANY line, no matter how good. In every game, Qb's get hit. Ash's concussion issues restarted immediately on a very light hit by UNT. Strong & Watson never shouldd have gambled on Ash. Should have brought a juco qb in. 2. Strong could have disciplined OL without running them off. Wickline could have been less of a jerk. A lot of your OL problems didn't have to happen. 3. The sip center who got hurt was experienced but wasn't very good. Your own fanbase said that. And isn't it Wickline's job to have a backup center ready to play? 4. After 140 practices, your OL should have noticeably improved, don't ya think?

quote:
Agreed. But I understand loyalty. Just as Sumlin gave Snyder an extra year after the awful 2013 A&M defense, Watson deserves another year.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Please keep the Florida players coming Chollie.
I agree. Recruit the hell out of Florida. Take advantage while Miami is down and the Gators are rebuilding with a new coach. That's a good plan.
Bonfire1996
AG
quote:
And how is it any different that you point out the inherited deficiencies on your D, but it means nothing that we inherited the same on offense?
Because in year 1, Sumlin's defense surrendered 0 points in the first quarters of his final seven games of the regular season. Against 5 Bowl eligible teams including Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU, and Ole Miss. The cumulative score at the end of the first quarter in our final 7 games was 121-0. A Hundred and Twenty-one to ZERO.

Where on Earth do you even attempt to compare what Sumlin did in year 1 with his deficiency defense and Strong did in year 1 with his deficiency offense?
quote:
And the knock on Sumlin has ALWAYS been the defense. I think the Chavis hire is a great one and will be interesting to watch, but if yall are not playing in any playoffs or conf champ games in the next 3 years and the defense does not meet expectations, Sumlin will not have a leg to stand on. It will show there is something else missing, and the finger pointing will be directed at Sumlin. Hes now 4 yrs in.

Is Strong the answer for us? Not sure, but we will know alot more definitively in yr 3 than we do now. And you never know what proven OC or the next up and commer will be available
See, these two paragraphs are hilarious. You have equated Strong and Sumlin, but have denied all the facts. Strong has to win 11 games per year for the next two years to catch up to Kevin's tenure at A&M. Kevin Sumlin has had exactly one career season with less than 8 wins. Charlie has had 3 of his 5 career seasons with less than 8 wins. Read that again in another way....60% of the time, Charlie Strong fails to win 8 games. In fact, Kevin Sumlin has just as many 10 and 12 win seasons as Strong.....but he also has an 11 win season and a 9 win season to boot.

There is nothing, quite literally, to compare between Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin. There is no statistical similarities. One recruits well and wins at a high level on average. The other has never really recruited well, and only won at a high level with a Heisman Contending Quarterback in a dead conference who effectively got their automatic bid to the BCS pulled.
quote:
We need a stud class this yr with DL/OL talent to compliment last yrs and another QB to compliment Buschele... such as Xavier Gaines. If we can win 7-8 games this year and do just that... then the arrow is certainly pointing up.

But I will rest my judgement until at least after yr 3.
The only reason you want to rest your judgment (sic) until after year 3 is because the current results and immediate future results do not favor your argument. An argument that, as you even describe it, is based upon nothing but hope. You hope that Charlie wins "7-8 games this year", but to look at a schedule, you would be hard pressed to find the 7-8 wins without the caveat of "winning a couple he shouldn't". You also classify that you need Class of 2016 recruits to immediately bolster your talent, but you are still going to judge Strong after the 2016 season, when all those players just finished their true freshman year? You aren't even explaining your hopeful thoughts in a coherent, logical manner. That is how you can identify the fantasy in your thinking. There is no deductive reasoning in your predictions. Whereas, we can actually have that discussion with Speedy Noil, Kyle Allen, Daylon Mack, Myles Garrett, Daeshon Hall, and friends already on our roster and already veterans. Your entire basis of hope rests on players who are still in high school, yet you want to say that by 2016, you should be fine?

Child please. Leave these types of things to the adults on old rivalries, you would think you would listen by now, we have been dead dick right on everything since 2010.
TexasTradition
I agree Stephenville.

Except for Espinosa. He was by far the best lineman we had going into last yr on an already very thin and inexperienced unit. He had 40 consecutive starts. Was he great? No, but he was good and the drop off to the rest of the unit was already dramatic and every Horn fan knew the importance of losing the QB of that line last yr.
TexasTradition
Bonfire,

-In order to truly compare the deficiencies between O and D for both teams as an apples to apples... first, Strong would have to inherit 5 future NFL stud DLinemen from a recruiting class already 2 yrs in (the best in Texas history) to build his defense around like Sumlin had the ability to do on Offense to further compensate the deficiencies on O. To which he did not. The game of football is won in the trenches do you disagree Bonfire? My whole point is how stupid it is to compare apples and oranges. Two comoletely different scenarios with completely different variables.

-Second, I have already stated the importance of a dominant Oline and QB to winning football. I will take those in a heart beat in college football over a dominant Dline (to which we never even had).

-Im not even sure what your point is regarding your defense year 1. It has clearly been your achilles since Sumlin arrived. Other than the Bama win which if played again 10 times how many of those would you expect to win... you beat how many other teams that season that finished the season ranked? Sumlin has had like what, 2 wins total in 3 years out of how many over sec teams that have finished above .500 in the sec?

-Last... yes... 2015 AND 16 we will be heavy on freshmen inclusion. We will only lose one key player on D after this yr (Tank) and lose basically no one on offense. Our Oline will then be in its 3rd yr under wickline, and Heard and Swoopes will be futher along in an offense more suited to them. I expect for this coaching staff to prove that the arrow points up in 2016, or not. Not BECAUSE of the 16 class. DUH. Another stud class in the fold in 16 will only further the foundation Strong is attempting to lay for 16 and beyond.

As ive stated i expect 7-8 wins this yr and 8-9 the next while stocking up on talent on top of the 15 class that Strong has a history of doing so poorly at.
StephenvilleAg77
txtradition:
  • His entire career, Espinosa got pushed backward by B12 dt's and nt's. This, despite the fact most b12 dt's and nt's never get drafted and never even make an nfl development squad. He lacked size and strength. But yes, he was your most experienced OL. Still, Byu's starting center in 2014 was a true fish. So I was surprised Wickline didn't have a replacement center ready. Just like I was surprised when no juco qb was brought in. Bottom line, Strong didn't do a very good job of head coaching in his first season.
  • The good news for Charlie is: he still has 2 more (maybe even 3 more, we'll see) years to put a winning team together. He had a solid 2014 recruiting class. Being at utx gives him substantial built-in recruiting advantages over Baylor, Tcu, OkieSt, Kstate, and OU.
  • The challenge for Charlie is: the head coaches at Baylor, Tcu, OkieSt, Kstate, and OU are better head coaches than he is. They've been head coaches a lot longer than he has. They went thru this P5 learning curve and survived and succeeded. Strong will have to go thru it too. He has to survive some rough seasons, and improve his head coaching above what worked for him at UL.
Beasleyboy
AG
quote:
Im not even sure what your point is regarding your defense year 1. It has clearly been your achilles since Sumlin arrived. Other than the Bama win which if played again 10 times how many of those would you expect to win... you beat how many other teams that season that finished the season ranked? Sumlin has had like what, 2 wins total in 3 years out of how many over sec teams that have finished above .500 in the sec?
You're smart.
TexasTradition
Here is the bottom line before i gotta run. Each new head coach in football at any level takes over a program and they they are dealt with the hand that the previous coach left them. Every place is different, never the same. Its been fairly common knowledge in my lifetime you don't come to absolute conclusions on a head coach after 1 yr... typically you know going in that its going to take a few yrs to get a true sense of what to expect from a head coach long term (I know bonfire disagrees).

You can talk about all the talent Mack left him, but the reality is... Texas football has been a joke since 2009. Strong took over a program that was mired in country club atmosphere, recruiting misses (especially at QB and OL where there has been YEARS of neglect) and a notably underdeveloped roster, and a roster that endured what seemed like a new coordinator/scheme like every 6 months. Sure, the further attrition is on Strong...and it didn't help our win loss record last year. Our 2 already thinnest positions, OL and QB were hit the worst with attrition and injuries.

Considering these factors and his proven ability to recruit and develop in the past... buys him till 16 before i start throwing any stones. If we get 4 wins next yr like a ton of you on here think is going to happen... I may change my tune.

And if Strong is indeed not the guy... I am closely watching Morris and Herman in the meantime.
Bunkhouse96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

LH55,

What did Strong mean when he said he didn't want to walk into College Station right now?

Thanks.
LOL! Just love the way you aggies pick and choose when to believe good old chollie.

So do you agree with Charlie, or are your picking and choosing when to believe good old chollie as well?
APHIS AG
quote:

Poor, delusional sip. At least we know that things are going to improve and that we are going to have continued success. Its called potential and we have a lot of it.

Now, lets look and your "program". You have no QB and no offensive line, your defense is going to get worse, you lose more in recruiting than you gain. The only potential you have is putting W's by the W/L column in the teams you play.

And it is going to get much worse!!!

And we are going to enjoy every L, but not as much as our W's.
Rocco S
quote:
TexasTradition 12:13p
Here is the bottom line before i gotta run. Each new head coach in football at any level takes over a program and they they are dealt with the hand that the previous coach left them. Every place is different, never the same. Its been fairly common knowledge in my lifetime you don't come to absolute conclusions on a head coach after 1 yr... typically you know going in that its going to take a few yrs to get a true sense of what to expect from a head coach long term (I know bonfire disagrees).

We said the same thing about Fran and Sherman. OTOH, Brown, Stoops, Saban, and Sumlin had early success.
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any response LH55?
Sure I do.

And?

All you just did is reinforce my point that you think coming in next to last to the team that beat Texas is a positive for your program. Actually, quite sad how low your expectations are for your program. But enjoy being an also ran in the SEC!

Thanks for the softball.
What a complete ****ing moron. We're an "also ran" when we've won more games than anyone but LSU and Alabama since we arrived? Yeah....that makes sense. Who here was gloating about 2014? Our expectations are to compete for and win the division and conference. Please show me where anyone said 2014 was a positive? We're just laughing at you because although it fell below our expectations (and the national media's), we were still much better than your ****ty t-shirt program...AGAIN...that you come on here daily to e-defend like a ****ing dumbass.
StephenvilleAg77
tx-tradition:
  • Agreed, he will get 3 full years to prove himself...and he might even receive a 4th yr.
  • However, his Year 1 results do count as part of that evaluation process. So, too, will his Year 2 coaching performance. He can't afford a repeat of 2014.
  • Like every d-1 head coach who takes a new h.c. job, Strong has a limited window of opportunity to prove himself to recruits and to the in-state h.s. football coaches. Strong has used up 15 months of that window of time.
  • Strong's dismal 2014 results are in full view for everyone to see. Seven losses, and five embarrassing beatdowns by 21 to 38 points. 59 yards of offense in a bowl game, against the last-place SEC West team. Strong and his staff were out-coached in 8 of his 13 games last season.
  • For all his talk about physicality and conditioning, Strong's 2014 team looked poorly conditioned and got out-hit and physically manhandled in several games.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

Ron Zook took over Spurrier's program and drove it into the ground in record time. Muschamp took over Meyer's program (granted Meyer was a wreck that last year) but won 11 games with the talent still there, despite Charlie Weiss. Sumlin took Sherman's players and coached to win all 4 quarters, winning 11 games in the freakin' SEC.

You can talk about all the talent Mack left him, but the reality is... Texas football has been a joke since 2009. Strong took over a program that was mired in country club atmosphere, recruiting misses (especially at QB and OL where there has been YEARS of neglect) and a notably underdeveloped roster, and a roster that endured what seemed like a new coordinator/scheme like every 6 months. Sure, the further attrition is on Strong...and it didn't help our win loss record last year. Our 2 already thinnest positions, OL and QB were hit the worst with attrition and injuries.

So, Charlie changing the offensive scheme (but not the coordinator(s)) after one year doesn't raise flags?? Mack changed offenses so often it was hard to recruit for the skill sets. Strong is doing the exact same thing and not recruiting to address those needs.

Considering these factors and his proven ability to recruit and develop in the past... buys him till 16 before i start throwing any stones. If we get 4 wins next yr like a ton of you on here think is going to happen... I may change my tune.

Get your pitch pipe out, because you'll be singing a different tune by week 5.

And if Strong is indeed not the guy... I am closely watching Morris and Herman in the meantime.
Herman would be a great hire, most likely. But you'll have to dump Strong early to get him.
Bonfire1996
AG
Herman would be a great hire, most likely. But you'll have to dump Strong early to get him.
---------------------
And take a huge PR hit for dumping core values and not giving Charlie the same support of other, white coaches.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
---------------------
And take a huge PR hit for dumping core values and not giving Charlie the same support of other, white coaches.
They are going to take a PR hit whenever they fire Strong, even after five losing seasons. Just who he is. No getting around that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.