sip recruits sitting on LHN studio

26,341 Views | 242 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by dermdoc
masterduff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the part I never understood. Ags are going to the SEC because tu got LHN. But how does that save us?
SwampAg88
There was never an opportunity for an even split. tu wanted either a 60/40 or 70/30 share.
Uma
quote:
There was never an opportunity for an even split. tu wanted either a 60/40 or 70/30 share.
Byrne should've taken 40% and ran. They have a much bigger fanbase.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Sounds like a Big 12-2-1-1+2 problem to me.

Since we will never play football in that conference again OU and their little brothers need to work it out.

Things are great here in the SEC

It was Buckley
quote:
Byrne should've taken 40% and ran. They have a much bigger fanbase.

There was no financial backer when we were approached. We'd have lost a huge amount of money if Byrne had agreed. Can't believe the horns still think we were offered a portion of the ESPN deal and said no.
Mr2010aTm
Uma
quote:
No white faces. No surprise.

Edited to add: oops, saw two white faces in the second shot. Guess UT will need a kicker, punter or QB in a few years...

[This message has been edited by Fletch_F_Fletch (edited 12/11/2011 3:57p).]
So they're like reverse racist?
leftcoastaggie
AG
RVHorn
quote:
They had to show it to the recruits to prove it really exists

Well played. And funny.
rowdy
AG
I am jealous.
Bob in Houston
quote:

Where did you see this? Please share.
masterduff
At the time, Dodds thought the network was going to cost the two schools money. He hadn't investigated and was essentially clueless when he approached A&M. So the offer was that UT would pay more of the cost. A&M said forget about it.

Later Dodds figured out that FOX would pay for the privelege and then ESPN stepped in and made that ridiculous 300 million bid.
Bob in Houston
quote:
Can't believe the horns still think we were offered a portion of the ESPN deal and said no.

Say what? Not that it matters, but if anybody thought this, it was Aggies. Byrne was the one who said he wasn't offered $150 million.
Redneck Mutha
quote:
There was no financial backer when we were approached.

True. Like many start up ventures, you are not always guaranteed a payout. Texas had the cash and the clout to put together the network and was fortunate that it came together as well as it did. If the B12 had accepted our proposal for a B12 Network years ago, or if the Aggies had accepted our proposal for a Longhorn/Aggie network, it probably would not have worked out as well for us in the long run.

quote:
We'd have lost a huge amount of money if Byrne had agreed.

Highly doubtful. If LHN is netting us $300M, a Lone Star Network (or whatever the hell a joint Texas-Texas A&M network would have been called) would have netted A&M a very nice payday had Dollar Bill taken the chance. Problem was, he was having trouble paying bills at the time and probably couldn't justify spending some cash up front without a proven revenue stream. Texas has the capital to take chances like that.

quote:
Can't believe the horns still think we were offered a portion of the ESPN deal and said no.

I don't know many of us who think you were offered a portion of the ESPN deal. In fact, I'm quite happy we're netting $15M/yr and not having to share that with anyone. Any program that can do that should do that.

[This message has been edited by Redneck Mutha (edited 12/11/2011 5:52p).]
Ansel
Texas A&M is positioned as well or better than anyone in the Big 12 to start an Aggie TV network right now if it wanted. A&M already has in place the 12th Man Productions facilities, which was built with the plan to eventually put together an Aggie Network.

We should do it.
Caesar4
AG
Still, the question remains...is this legal wrt NCAA rules? If not, what will it take to create a rule to make it illegal?
etexorange
quote:
Texas A&M is positioned as well or better than anyone in the Big 12 to start an Aggie TV network right now if it wanted. A&M already has in place the 12th Man Productions facilities, which was built with the plan to eventually put together an Aggie Network.

We should do it.

Would that be logical to do, with the rumors that all SEC schools will have to sign over their third-tier rights to the "SEC Conference Network"? I personally am not totally convinced that the "SEC Conference Network" is going to happen, but it's possible.
ntxVol
quote:
If the B12 had accepted our proposal for a B12 Network years ago...

Hmmph, first I have heard of this, I doubt it was an equal deal for everyone, else it wouldn't have been shot down.

No matter the history behind the LHN, I don't like where this is going and I doubt any other school/conference does either. The NCAA really needs to get out in front of this one and do something or else who knows where this may go next.

I still find the apathetic responses from you Aggies pretty amazing, how can you possibly think that just because you will no longer be in the Big 12 this doesn't effect you?
coshatteag
I seriously doubt tu would have shared their offer with espn, it would negate their gain. How can coke have a joint venture with pepsi? Same for us.
aggiehawg
AG
Oooh, read that link about UCONN using the Bristol ESPN studio to recruit women basketball players in 2008. No way either ESPN nor tu can claim they didn't know it was against the rules.

Given that ESPN has a financial stake in tu landing the best recruits...can there be any question of the intent here?

AG
quote:
I still find the apathetic responses from you Aggies pretty amazing, how can you possibly think that just because you will no longer be in the Big 12 this doesn't affect you?

Absolutely correct and appropriate question/response. To disavow interest in this issue is very myopic.
Doc.Pringles
Baylor:Aggie::Aggie:Texas

The only difference A&M hasn't threatened legal actions (yet).

As a horn, this next part hurts a little to admit. If legal actions come up about this LHN touring, Texas/ESPN will likely walk away scot-free with their wallets. Regardless, I am pretty sure they will hault touring LHN.
TexxAg00
AG
Jounalism/media studio my @ss. It's branded with ESiPN all over the back wall and surround. The ncaa doesn't have a pair to tell tu no and they will continue to use that 600 viewer channel as a recruiting tool. S-E-C ya sippers.
etexorange
quote:
If the B12 had accepted our proposal for a B12 Network years ago

When did A&M propose a "Big 12 Network"? As far as I can tell, the 12th Man Productions facilities were built in 2006, and Byrne himself said that they were built all along with the intention of hosting an "Aggie Network."
coshatteag
quote:
Baylor:Aggie::Aggie:Texas

The only difference A&M hasn't threatened legal actions (yet).

As a horn, this next part hurts a little to admit. If legal actions come up about this LHN touring, Texas/ESPN will likely walk away scot-free with their wallets. Regardless, I am pretty sure they will hault touring LHN.

You think this wont cost money or terminating the lhn will be pain free?
Doc.Pringles
quote:
You think this wont cost money or terminating the lhn will be pain free?

LHN won't go down, but its use will be limited. ESPN and Texas have enough money to bribe their way out of allegations. If lawsuits come up, I would expect ESPN/Texas paying their way out of it and instituting some sort of boundaries to help cater to the allegations.
ntxVol
Doc.Pringles,
That is fine, but IMHO, it should be clear that the LHN/ESPN are now at least boosters to tu athletics meaning they will be governed by those rules of compliance.
It was Buckley
quote:
Say what? Not that it matters, but if anybody thought this, it was Aggies. Byrne was the one who said he wasn't offered $150 million.

When discussing the LHN there have been many longhorns saying something to the effect of "Well A&M was offered to be part of the network."

This is ignoring the fact that WHAT we were offered bears no resemblance to the financial arrangement currently in place. The implication from their argument is that we turned down a sweet deal like the horns have now. We didn't. We turned down a network that would have no demand (like the current incarnation) and cost us a boatload of money (completely opposite of the current incarnation.)
Redneck Mutha
quote:
If the B12 had accepted our proposal for a B12 Network years ago

etexorange - I was referring to Texas. I'm a Longhorn.
yakman
How is a studio that is in DKR ESPN property and not the state of Texas' property?
leftcoastaggie
AG
coshatteag
Esipn indemnifies tu?
I they are in it together, that clearly makes them a booster to another posted comment. And as a booster, how could this be considered legit? Doest the word 'privileges' appear in the ncaa guidebook for things a booster cannot do?
viva torrente
The argument that cowtv is some separate entity from tu is laughable.

tu has a say in hiring/firing matters.

What espn and tu are doing will eventually pit the pac12, big10, and sec against them and will be espn's downfall as the premier sports media machine.
etexorange
The Longhorn Network studios are not on campus. They are in the University Park development in an eight-story office building north of campus on I-35, which is where Concordia U used to be, just north of St. David's Hospital. ESPN paid for the studio construction.
viva torrente
Who owns that property?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.