Real Estate
Sponsored by

City of College Station new enforcement forcing an inspection of a rental unit

2,183 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by dubi
mamatrio
How long do you want to ignore this user?
City of College Station. Code enforcement has been directed by the Council to institute a 3 phase plan to implement Rental Inspections on all rental properties.
  • The 1st phase will be voluntary. We should be receiving more direction from the Council as to what they will be looking for in the inspections. The property owner would hire a Licensed inspector to look at all habitable items required by the City. When a home/unit passes inspection, it will go on a list the City will "advertise" as being in compliance with City ordinances. The fee for being on this list would be $75 (not including the cost of inspections). The home/unit would not have to be reinspected for 5 years.
  • The 2nd phase would be violation based in regard to habitable items (mainly repeat offenders/landlords not taking care of problems that were brought to the attention of the City)
  • The 3rd phase would be mandatory for all rental owners. This looks to be starting in Oct. 2026.

IS this legal for the COCS to force a homeowner to hire an inspector to P/F a rental house? Seems very fishy but the property management company I use sent this information in an email the other week.
Gigem_94
AG
Not sure why it wouldn't be legal. Nothing in state law that conflicts to my knowledge.
Ryan the Temp
AG
mamatrio said:

IS this legal for the COCS to force a homeowner to hire an inspector to P/F a rental house? Seems very fishy but the property management company I use sent this information in an email the other week.

Yes. Houston has been doing this for years.
SoTheySay
S
Cannot wait until the city of CS messes with the wrong dad. It's long overdue.
Heineken-Ashi
Government operating as middle man or regulator is never a good thing and always ends up more costly for everyone involved. $75 to show up on a list plus the inspection fee I have to pay? Guess how much rent just increased by? Or.. guess how much the non-refundable portion of the deposit just increased to. Violations for what government deems should be acceptable (and even if its industry standard now, just wait.. government never loosens restrictions or admits error)? Renter will be paying for the upgrades I make.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
iisanaggie
AG
I don't know about the legality of this, but the 5 year thing is dumb. So many things can break in that time or the owner can simply not do anything to keep it up to the level that would pass inspection.
Heineken-Ashi
iisanaggie said:

I don't know about the legality of this, but the 5 year thing is dumb. So many things can break in that time or the owner can simply not do anything to keep it up to the level that would pass inspection.
That's because it's not about being well intended. It's meant to generate revenue, both from compliance and non-compliance.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
CS78
The real goal of rental registration.
rilloaggie
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

mamatrio said:

Yes. Houston has been doing this for years.

I don't doubt you but can you post a link to this? Only thing I'm seeing similar in housing is for multi family, 3+ units.
CS78
Be interesting to see what this might do to the supply of licensed inspectors. Even at once every five years, this town doesn't have enough inspectors. And I can't imagine the existing inspectors will want to train and/ or manage an army of their own future competition.
Deats99
AG
You want Killdozer, this is how you get Killdozer!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
12thMan9
AG
What are "habitable items required by the city"? And is the fee to appear in an "advertisement" optional?
Ronnie '88
bloom
Is this the final ordinance inspection list? You absolutely do not need to pay a licensed inspector for these items. Torn window screens? Are they really going to make a landlord open up a wall that was fire code compliant when built and upgrade it to a new standard?
I think there are a lot of landlords in the city of College Station who take advantage of their tenants and do not maintain their properties properly. I'm just not sure this is the solution. I have a feeling it won't do anything to improve those properties and rents are going to go up.

ETA List: https://wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/CScoun041323RentInspStaff.pdf
CS78
That definitely gives off a warm and fuzzy hammer and sickle feeling.

I notice there's a number of things on the list that would be tenants responsibility. Guess need to add those to future leases.

And one other complaint, how come Ive been on the rental registration since inception and this is the first Im hearing about this?
whoop1995
AG
Once government gets into something they never let go and keep pushing till they are in control of it all - it will get worse and eventually strangle economy as nothing is ever rescinded. More rules and regulations that the renter/incoming student will have to pay for driving up costs for everyone,

No one in government will take the blame when the time comes (even though they have caused the problem) as that will be passed on to the owner shoulders. Government will pick an angle that will blame the owners always. Seen this a thousand times play out with all levels of government. Most are money grabs by the government and it is really a shame that this is happening in college station.
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980, 1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
While I agree this is a vehemently opposed proposed overstep by the COCS…

This is all just a proposal at this time. Nothing more. And it was back in '22 & spring '23.

So no need to panic just yet until it moves out of proposal stages. Plus - the city is mindful of the hand that feeds with respect to the property taxes paid by these rentals. It may just take some time to have them pull their head out their arse. Similar things with speed cameras in CS until the voters forced em to remove them.

I'm going to keep my ear out there though and see if it's really moving forward or just more proposing. Until then, still business as usual.
dubi
AG
This is ridiculous!

Some of us keep our rentals in tip top shape and should NOT be forced to pay for a stupid inspection. On the other hand, the slumlords will continue to have complaints about everything under the sun and they will not spend a dime to improve their units.

Also will they use their access to our properties to raise our property taxes if we make interior improvements?

/another stupid decision by the COCS overlords

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.