Real Estate
Sponsored by

How to price a parking space lease?

1,184 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by TxAG#2011
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm buying a condo that comes with a parking space I don't need, so I'm looking at leasing the space to someone in a unit that doesn't have a parking space. Any suggestions on a good way to determine an appropriate price?
agnerd
AG
Storage lot near me in the burbs charges $130/mo for an uncovered RV space. I'd say at least $65 a month for your space. I'd make sure to have a stipulation that it has to be a running passenger vehicle stored there so someone doesn't junk up your lot.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I got some more info after I posted - Apparently the space has a value of $20,000. At today's rates, that would be the equivalent to a chunk of about $130-$135 in a mortgage.

Any idea if there is any sort of standard or customary percentage or other calculation based of the value? Based on the value I don't think it would necessarily be unreasonable to ask $100/month, but I'm not super confident in that.
Diggity
AG
how big is the complex? have any other owners rented out spots?

My wife's place had a decently active secondary market for spaces. The price would vary based on location and they shopped them on the community message board.
Ryan the Temp
AG
39 total units. 6 of them do not have parking available to them. The unit next to the one I'm buying doesn't have a parking spot, went under contract the same day we did, and the buyer is interested in discussing a lease for the space.
FincAg13
AG
Not sure where you are located, but if downtown, you can look at what the monthly contract rates are in garages close to you. Potentially add a little for convenience of being onsite instead of walking to different garage.
redaszag99
If it is valued at $20k, I'd try to at least charge $200 a month or 1%
TxAG#2011
Ask your realtor if they have any experience in this, if not, see if there are any comps in the development.

Mathematically you can apply a cap rate to the value. Super janky but say take 7% of the $20,000 value = $1,400 annually or roughly $120/month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.