Real Estate
Sponsored by

Buying a beach house

2,978 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by RoyVal
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will be in the market for a beach house early next year. We're thinking Rockport or Crystal Beach or Surfside Beach. We want to obviously be close to the water, but also close a grocery store, medical stuff, and interesting fun bars and other non-beach stuff.

Thinking of maybe AirBnb/VRBO when we're not there, and looking at using a property mgmt company.

Thoughts and/or advice?

(Posted on the Gulf Coast forum, too)
Becca55
If your looking for rockport or surrounding. I work with a really good realtor in the area and she also has air bnb and would be a great person to talk to and get advice and get all the rules. Please txt or call if you want me to connect yall

210-995-0129
MooreTrucker
AG
Thanks, Becca, that will be great! I'll save your number if you want to go ahead and take it down, and I'll get with you closer to the time we plan to go down there.
SteveBott
AG
Are you still in west Texas? I've heard anecdotally that maintenance is much more for a beach house than other options. Factor that in. The sea just beats up man made structures.

Ali if for personal use remember to make money or even break even on finances you have to give up the best weekends to renters. Good luck
EclipseAg
AG
My advice is this:

If you can own a beach house and treat it like a business -- without emotional attachment to the place and its furnishings -- you can be successful using it/renting it.

Beach houses, maybe more so than other types of rentals, tend to attract large groups with kids and damage/wear and tear can be significant. For example, we replaced the faucet in our kitchen sink three times in eight years due to damage. We had all kinds of weird things happen.

You'll also find that things tend to go missing -- television remotes, bottle openers, etc., etc.

Also, it is definitely true that beach houses have more maintenance issues than other types of rentals due to sand and sea air.

My personality just wasn't suited to dealing with that stuff. But a lot of people don't mind it at all.

I remember a colleague asking my advice years ago. I was pretty negative about the whole experience. They went ahead and took the plunge and now own three successful rentals. But it's a business to them; we looked at our house as our dream property. Big difference.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
MooreTrucker said:

We will be in the market for a beach house early next year. We're thinking Rockport or Crystal Beach or Surfside Beach. We want to obviously be close to the water, but also close a grocery store, medical stuff, and interesting fun bars and other non-beach stuff.

Thinking of maybe AirBnb/VRBO when we're not there, and looking at using a property mgmt company.

Thoughts and/or advice?

(Posted on the Gulf Coast forum, too)
if Galveston is an option, look at Bermuda & Pirates Beach. It hits all the things you listed in wanting.

As others have said, get ready for constant maintenance
Biz Ag
AG
Keep in mind that insurance rates for anything on the gulf are insane. That's why my wife & I chose Lake Conroe for our second home.
water turkey
Biz Ag said:

Keep in mind that insurance rates for anything on the gulf are insane. That's why my wife & I chose Lake Conroe for our second home.

I think I read that windstorm
insurance is already going up 10% because of Beryl and the hurricane season is young.
plowboy1065
S
There is A LOT of inventory in the Crystal Beach area. Some good deals can be had
warreng
For a short term rental the numbers in Rockport tend to be a little better than true beach properties. The main reason is Rockport has rentals year round. The summer is defiantly the prime time but people fish year round plus you have hunting season and all the festivals. I think we are up to 7 or 8 festivals now. Also in Rockport you tend to get a little better rental crowd. Where the beach tends to be a little crazier Rockport tends to get a little older crowd and families. I don't have info on the other areas but shoot me an email and I can send you allot of good data on short term rentals in Rockport and what your expected occupancy should be broken down by month. warren.n.green@gmail.com

Now is actually a pretty good time to look for a vacation property. Vacation property sales have been really slow this year in most areas. The higher interest rates combined with the uncertainty in the market always slow down second homes the most. In Rockport neighborhoods that 2 years ago had 1-2 listings now have 10 or more and most have been sitting for a while. That isn't to say they are giving them away, but if you find the right seller there are some deals to be had.
RoyVal
AG
plowboy1065 said:

There is A LOT of inventory in the Crystal Beach area. Some good deals can be had
yeah...just be careful if you're on the ocean side of the highway....this damn Ike Dike project might actually have legs.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.