Real Estate
Sponsored by

Replacement A/C system rebates by city of College Station

1,323 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Superfreak
goodbull92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are having to replace our A/C system in the house we have in College Station. If you haven't done that in several years and are put in the situation where you have to, you are going to be shocked at the increase in prices, as were we. I thought I'd pass on the rebate information we found when looking at the unit we are purchasing. We haven't completed the process for the rebate yet so, I'm not vouching for it completely. I am just passing this along. Here is the link from the city's site:

https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/csu/save_energy/energy_back_i_i_rebate

Hopefully this can soften the blow for us and any of you that are faced with this situation.
aggies4life
AG
Who are you using to replace?
goodbull92
AG
aggies4life said:

Who are you using to replace?
We used The Wright AC and Heating. We have used them for service work for several years. We got a couple of other bids but they were all within 6 or 7 hundred dollars and since we had been using them it just made sense to us to continue the relationship.

https://www.wrightacandheating.com/

ImThatGuy
AG
If you are installing a heat pump, you may be eligible for a $2,000 tax credit as well if it meets certain efficiency ratings.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
I may be wrong but I believe new units are eligible for up to a $600 tax credit through the IRS, as well. Would definitely research and make sure you get anything and everything available considering the outrageous cost of a replacement.
MiMi
S
We replaced one of our units several years ago (used Malek). We found the rebate process easy and received a check pretty quickly after submitting the necessary documents.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Isn't there an additive you can simply add to your unit to extend its life
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Legit question for you fellas who have replaced your A/C's with one of these newer, energy-saving systems:

What type of savings are you seeing on your summertime monthly electric bill?

Is it $20, $50, $100, or more?

I'm just trying to work the numbers on the payback on a new $15K system that might go 7 years before it needs its own major repairs or replacement.

Interested because I'm still using two (2) 31 year old R-22 systems that still cool fine. I'm able to do basic repairs on them based on my work experience so I've kept the cost of upkeep on them to a minimum.

Thanks.
JP76
Lot of variables

What is your existing seer on your units ?

What temp do you keep the ac on ?

On a single unit , i have seen the bill drop $80-100 on electrical use on a swap but this was from a 10 seer to a 14 seer. Back in 1992 my parents went from a 6 seer to a 12 seer carrier and it was ~$5,000 installed back then. The summer month bills before were 400-500 and I want to say they dropped about $150 a month but that was an extreme case.
Superfreak
AG
When we replaced one unit several months ago, the company took care of all the paperwork and filed for us to collect the $700 rebate from COCS. Received the check about 4 weeks later. They also provided the documents to claim the $1200 fed tax credit. It must have a high seer rating to qualify. I think (but not certain) it has to be OVER 15 seer. We put in a 15.5.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.