Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is there a way to sell or transfer your mortgage with your house?

2,251 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by thann07
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have a high value mortgage with a 2.5% rate anyway you can capitalize on this if you wanted to sell your home?

Would owner financing really be the only way?
SoTheySay
S
What type of loan do you have? Some loans are assumable - usually FHA, VA and USDA.
The Silverback
AG
Was a construction loan one time close with Amegy Bank. Not 100% sure the specific product it is though?
SoTheySay
S
I'd double check with the bank but I'm thinking it's not likely assumable.
Win At Life
AG
The first two houses my father "bought" in the 70's were assumable loans. His 3rd, and still final house, he paid cash. The man never took out a loan to buy a house in his life.
AgsMyDude
AG
Call your lender and ask
Captain Winky
Cool.
rme
AG
That is cool, I wonder how unique that is?
jja79
AG
Did he assume those assumable loans?

Assumable loans are a relic now.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
All VA and FHA loans are assumable.

I sold a house this summer that was a VA loan and the buyer stepped into the sellers note at 2.50%.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Win At Life
AG
jja79 said:

Did he assume those assumable loans?

Assumable loans are a relic now.
Yes.

Well, I told you he did that in the 70's. They were more common back then.
jja79
AG
I said that wrong. Should have said not as common today. When I started in this business there were many types of assumable loans. Good catch.
SteveBott
AG
As said some govt loans can be assumed. But the buyer now have to qualify under the underwriting guidelines. Since we have an inverted rate market assumption can make sense.

For a long time all the assumable old loans had high rates so new loans made sense. Someone correct me about the qualifications part.
AgsMyDude
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

All VA and FHA loans are assumable.

I sold a house this summer that was a VA loan and the buyer stepped into the sellers note at 2.50%.

Assuming you'd have to qualify for a VA or FHA loan in order to assume?
SoTheySay
S
You have to qualify for the loan but with VA you don't have to be a veteran to assume.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
To me, the "catch" wasn't in sone rule, but rather in the fact that the new buyer had to have enough liquid cash to pay the seller their asking price, even though the difference in market value and the loan amount has separated drastically in most homes recently.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgsMyDude
AG

Didn't realize buyer had to essentially pay off the sellers equity in cash but that does make sense actually.
HarleySpoon
AG
Mortgage lenders learned their lesson in the late 70's/early 80's.

I think there will continue to be constrained supply because folks won't be willing to give up their cheap mortgages. This has happened before.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Exactly this. It kinda sucks but is also good. We're trapped for a long time. House has gone up 50% in value in 2 years and we're locked in at 2.5%.

We couldn't afford (we could but I wouldn't do it) our same house in this interest rate environment. Kinda scary actually
thann07
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Exactly this. It kinda sucks but is also good. We're trapped for a long time. House has gone up 50% in value in 2 years and we're locked in at 2.5%.

We couldn't afford (we could but I wouldn't do it) our same house in this interest rate environment. Kinda scary actually
This is happening everywhere (maybe not 50% value and maybe not 2.5% all around) to some degree.
I may be forced into a move due to work circumstances and it's--not appealing. Almost to the point of major commuting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.