Real Estate
Sponsored by

Eviction Process

5,731 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schwack schwack
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Let's see some pics

This.

Also sorry you have to deal with this OP.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Trashed as in torn up, holes in the walls, cement in the drains, broken everything or trashed as in crap left everywhere?
BMach
AG
Did she pay, or just leave?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Post picture of the check
tjones
AG
No check.

This was house from 3 months ago...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3501-Vara-Dr-Austin-TX-78754/29415556_zpid/

Now picture that house with dog poop on every piece of furniture, every floor, every rug, etc. Trash everywhere, furniture chewed on, trim chewed on. I mean it's just disgusting. Nothing major is broken that I can see...but furniture will have to be replaced. And they smoked in it...

BenFiasco14
AG
Wow. I guess I was expecting some tiny condo. That's a really good looking house. Surprised trash like your tenant was able to afford it (although I guess they finally couldn't … lol). Sorry man. People are such disgusting scum. I'd hate being a residential landlord.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Beckdiesel03
AG
+1 on not the kind of house that I was expecting. That was a nice place. Do you know any of the background of the lady renting?
Troglodyte
AG
tjones said:

Totally and completely trashed.
At least they are gone. That can save you 3 months of rent.
Sea Speed
AG
Dang that's a cool house OP. This really blows.
Dr. Horrible
Have a decent deposit at least?
tjones
AG
Yes, deposit will cover most of it. I have 3 rentals of our own and if this type of thing happened in one of those I'd just say, yea, thats just part of it.

This house was my parents house, where I grew up, so it just infuriates me. Cleaning crew comes in tomorrow. Gotta get it cleaned then see what repairs, trim, etc, need to be done. We are selling it now that my dad passed recently.

They were smoking in it, I am a little concerned about getting that smell out... hopefully with cleaning and throwing rugs away, etc, it will go away.
BenFiasco14
AG
Probably a dead end, but does your former tenant have ANY sort of assets where suing her ass to oblivion would result in anything other than a piece of paper?

Sorry to hear man. That is tough. Great house. Don't let this persons BS ruin the memories you have there.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Bullseye is a good primer and I believe they make a plus version that is supposed to be a little bit better. New paint will help a lot to remove that smoke smell.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
tjones
AG
If she had been locked into a year lease and she had stayed current on rent and I would have seen the condition of the house, could I legally have kicked her out or would I just have to wait until lease expired?

I can't imagine how bad it would have been in another 6-9 months!
Hupernikao
AG
Eviction for reasons other than non payment of rent are always more difficult. Up to the judge's discretion more than how black and white not paying rent is.

That being said, general unwritten rule for lease violations is three uncured lease violations is usually sufficient to get the judge to grant eviction. So if you wanted her out due to property condition, you would issue a violation notice referencing the violation and term of the lease being violated with requirements to cure. Give her reasonable amount of time (let's say 5 days or something), then issue another if she didn't do it then another. If she still didn't do it, issue 3 day notice to eviction and follow same steps to evict. There's nothing in the law that says you have to give her these chances to comply but it's good ammo to make sure the judge doesn't side with her when she shows up at the hearing and says she'll fix it.
schwack schwack
AG
Great house - you rented it furnished with all the furniture shown? Maybe since they were only in there 3 months the smoke won't be super embedded in the woodwork, sheetrock, etc. You'd probably lose a lot of the smell when the furniture moves out for your sale. Hopefully.
tjones
AG
That's what I was hoping too....but we just finished taking out all the rugs and a lot of furniture and it still smells heavily of smoke. All floors ae tile or wood.

I have biosweep coming on Wednesday to hopefully get rid of it. My hope is that with it only being 2-3 months of smoke that they'll be able to take care of it.
dubi
AG
Wow, I am so sorry they trashed the home.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Zinzer BIN shellac based primer is what we've used a few times to cover up smoke smell. It's pricey, and tricky to roll on (much thinner than latex paint), but In my opinion, worth every penny.
tjones
AG
Got the house back into great shape....12k later.

But, listed it last Friday and had multiple offers over ask in 3 days. Under contract now.

High Functioning Moron
Does your insurance cover that $12k, or do you have to come up with it all? I have always wondered how a rental property could be profitable if the place gets destroyed like that.
tjones
AG
Not that I know of... covered it out of pocket.
tjones
AG
High Functioning Moron said:

Does your insurance cover that $12k, or do you have to come up with it all? I have always wondered how a rental property could be profitable if the place gets destroyed like that.

Even with that disaster of a situation, still made good money on it. If that were to happen to one of my other places where the rent isn't near as high, then I'd definitely take a bath on it.
warrington74
AG
If you lease a property to a person from now till August 1. Then have another tenant signed a contract from August 1 going forward. What if your initial tenant does not want to leave August 1? This will be the same scenario as the OP stated correct
schwack schwack
AG
Thanks for the update - glad it worked out so well for you!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.