Real Estate
Sponsored by

Real estate market is in a full blown correction

37,736 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Diggity said:

Fannie Mae now predicting a 13.5% drop in sales volume this year and about the same next year.

That will not bring the prices down. At least no much and not around here.

Nobody is selling.
Diggity
AG
diamond hands baby
southernskies
Hell yeah, HODL
jh0400
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

JP76 said:

Joe bought a house in Austin for 500k
Joe borrowed 400k on it
House goes up 40% last year to 700k and Joe refi's 560k
Joe now owes 560k on it and blows the other 160k cash on 2 vehicles, a boat, and numerous trips to cabo.
Market rolls over and housing declines 30% in Austin like it did 2000-2002 due to all the tech layoffs.
Joe still owes 560k on a house that has a current market value of 490k
Joe gets laid off.
Joe let's the house foreclose bc he is 70k underwater and can't pay the note

Now multiply this time X number of Joes

Except this is how tech works:

Joe is 27 years old.
Joe was one of the original 30 members of a startup in Austin because he learned to code.
Startup goes public and Joe's equity payout puts $50 million in his bank account after working there for just a couple of years.
Joe doesn't know what to do with all this money, so he buys a house in the East Side, another on LBJ, a ranch in the hill country, and a new electric boat to skirt around the lake in. All were paid with cash.
Joe takes up hiking and spends his time on pet projects going forward.
None of this real estate hits the market again until Joe dies 60 years from now.
Anyone not working in tech can't afford rent at all and like 15 people end up living in a 3/2 "incubator" because rent is so expensive and nobody can afford to live otherwise.

That may have been how it was, but tech workers are in for a shock. There hasn't been a tech IPO of note this year, and it's looking like the IPO market is going to stay closed for the foreseeable future. For private companies, late-stage venture funding is drying up as well for companies that aren't cash flow positive (read: don't really need the money). Every day there is another software company announcing >10% of the workforce layoffs, and that isn't showing signs of changing anytime soon. You have a whole segment of software companies whose only customers are other software companies. The steady influx of venture capital created a flywheel where companies were able to grow sales and valuations by passing around VC dollars. When the current runway starts to run out there will be a lot of companies who don't make it and take out more when they go. It's not as interconnected as financials during the GFC, but there is a lot more going on there than most people realize.

Also, I've heard and read a lot of RE industry people becoming very vocal in that current RE valuations are sustainable, and that houses won't behave like long duration assets in a rising rate environment. For me that is a huge red flag that maybe things aren't as solid as we'd like to believe.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Tech is like O&G except on steroids. The highs are higher and the lows are lowerfor tech. There are definitely cycles in the industry and in real estate. But that doesn't change the fact that a bunch of Joes cashed out $50m, bought their toys all cash, and don't care what the market does for the next 60 years. That happens enough times, and there is no supply. It happened in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Palo Alto, San Jose, Mountain View, San Francisco, Oakland, Playa Vista, etc, and it will happen in the 2nd Gen tech markets given enough time.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Diggity
AG
there's plenty of money in Austin, but I think you're overstating how many people are that liquid and paid cash for their properties...especially on the lower end (relative term I know).
jh0400
AG
You're grossly overestimating the number of people who are walking out of tech cos with eight figure paydays. It happens but not anywhere near the frequency required to sustain a market. There are a lot more small acquisitions than there are blockbuster deals, and in those smaller deals even early non-founder employees tend to be lucky to hit a low seven figure win.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Diggity said:

there's plenty of money in Austin, but I think you're overstating how many people are that liquid and paid cash for their properties...especially on the lower end (relative term I know).

30% of all home sales were done all cash in the last few years. And I'd put the number at 50%+ for under $400,000 in Texas in the last two years.

https://www.redfin.com/news/all-cash-home-purchases-2021/
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Diggity
AG
cool...so 70% of people didn't pay cash.

As I said, I have no doubt that there are a lot of really wealthy folks in Austin....but you're grossly exaggerating the extent of it
jh0400
AG
No idea how Redfin segmented their data, but I'm surprised that a Texas market didn't warrant a callout in the table at the bottom of the page if there were sufficient cash sales to put the area at a rate significantly above the average.

Also, another interpretation for that chart is "around 30% +/- of houses ex the run up to the GFC have been purchased with cash in since the turn of the century."
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Ok y'all got me. The sky is falling and real estate will never recover (even though it hasn't fallen yet).
coastalAg
AG
Even if Austin RE gets hit hard due to recession, is there any reason it wont come back just as strong on the other end? Still a lot of corporate relocations and population growth that will continue to fuel demand that outpaces supply. This seems true of all the major Texas markets to one degree or another.
Diggity
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Ok y'all got me. The sky is falling and real estate will never recover (even though it hasn't fallen yet).
glad you see it our way
tlepoC
AG
I really really hope it crashes. I'll be buying a lot. But I'm sure thousands of others are thinking the same...and thus...
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Diggity said:

Red Pear Realty said:

glad you see it our way

Blue starred
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
tlepoC said:

I really really hope it crashes. I'll be buying a lot. But I'm sure thousands of others are thinking the same...and thus...

I would also love to see a fire sale type event.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I'm just a simple man and a simple Ag…

But can someone tell me - how the heck can there be a dip if everyone is waiting to buy? Are all of you sitting on the sidelines ready to buy these deals at 7% interest rates? Because that's where they are or close to it today.

But conversely - if interest rates keep pushing upwards, it limits the pool of buyers because only so many can afford $X amount of debt at Y% interest rate levels. So that pushes more people to rent and then….

Long story short - I have popcorn popped and I'm just watching for things. And I think anyone who is going to willing give up a sub-4% note rate is a goober unless you can pocket mad cash and downgrade on the home and be happier.

But I don't see how the current housing shortage can be relieved with high interest rates
tlepoC
AG
Price crash so I can rationalize spending the amount it costs vs value. And then just pay all cash. Easy peasy
flyingaggie12
AG
That's the key right there.

Why in the world would someone that locked in a sub 4 rate sell? Only because they're forced.

Also - Homebuilders, who have under built since the GFC just cut supply even further.

Unless a bunch of people lose jobs and have to get out of their mortgage or move for another job, I don't see supply increasing. If they do lose their job, where do you think they'll be moving too? Deep in the heart of Texas…companies keep moving here.
agsalaska
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

But I don't see how the current housing shortage can be relieved with high interest rates

This.

I believe that people who are waiting for a crash will be sorely disappointed. There may be a short term correction from some of the craziness that happened in the last six months, but I have no doubt single family properties will be worth more in five years than their current values. And that increase will beat the return of most alternatives.

South Platte
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

But can someone tell me - how the heck can there be a dip if everyone is waiting to buy? Are all of you sitting on the sidelines ready to buy these deals at 7% interest rates? Because that's where they are or close to it today.

But conversely - if interest rates keep pushing upwards, it limits the pool of buyers because only so many can afford $X amount of debt at Y% interest rate levels. So that pushes more people to rent and then….

Long story short - I have popcorn popped and I'm just watching for things. And I think anyone who is going to willing give up a sub-4% note rate is a goober unless you can pocket mad cash and downgrade on the home and be happier.

Are the REIT's that bought up all of this real estate over the past years public companies or private? I suppose they could be both. However, if they are public, and the value of home prices start to dip, they are required to adjust those assets on every 10Q, correct? Even a small write down could trigger a sell of REIT stocks, stock value plummets, the REIT's are forced to sell, it becomes a buyer's market.

This is more me just thinking out loud with respect to investing in the bear RE ETF's. It could happen with only a small drop in home value. Investors will leave that sector and head over to Tech once we find bottom. Not sure how likely the above scenario is - - it relies on a chain of events.

I also find it hard to believe that missed payments and foreclosure rates will increase to a level where real estate drops 20%+, but it's happened before. Unless layoffs occur nationwide, it seems the risk lies with the companies, not individual homeowners.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with you here. Something I know has been discussed before on this RE board is that boomers are not as a group selling out/moving on from the big empty nests they have. This is one factor contributing to the supply squeeze.

Another part of that same side of the coin that I don't remember being brought up much, or at least not recently, here, is how peoples' extended lives nowadays are also squeezing the supply side of the equation.
JP76
It did in 2000-2002

JP76
Interesting data

30% not much higher than the 27.2% in 2000-2002

I wonder what the breakdown is over price range ?

I personally know a few people who paid all cash and the refinanced after closing to prevent missing out on a house or to avoid appraisal issues and to then free up cash for other investments. But I'd venture to guess that a lot of the cash buyers are people downsizing or ones from out of state where RE was much higher psf.

Do you have any data on how much institutional investment buying was going on in Texas and Austin SFH 20 years ago ?

I saw recently that some North Texas counties were currently reaching 40-45%.

I think that will be the wildcard here if things turn and if any funds have to unwind there positions.

JP76
JP76
It always comes back over time.
The 200k house that fell to 150k in 2000-2002 is now around 475k. But also historically austin real estate and Texas in general has offered value at lower pricing. The current run up of existing at $300-$500 psf is outside of the historic range of pricing metrics.
Medaggie
The way inflation keeps ramping up, I expect the Feds to make a few more rate hikes so higher interest rates will be here for the next few yrs.

Austin avg home price last month was about 675K. For a 400K loan @7%, P&I is 2600 vs 1600 when rate was 3%. That is a huge difference for many people given the higher cost of living.

So in the next few yrs when rates will be 7+%, I can see two scenarios happening.

#1 - Jobs continue to be plentiful, people will be gainfully employed, and there will be very little inventory/selling. In Austin, if someone sells their 675K home and moves into similar 675K home is looking at a much larger prop tax bills. It just makes little sense to sell a home if you are moving to a similar or bigger home. This will restrict inventory, less homes will be sold, and prices will not drop much; maybe even continue to inch up nominally.

#2 - Economy tanks, recession hits, businesses will cut jobs, and people are forced to sell their homes. If inventory increases, supply will outstrip demand, and this will drop home prices. Austin may not be as greatly affected but will affect less desirable cities similar to 2008.

Either way I am going to load up on cash and wait. If its scenario #1, I am going to buy cash then once rate goes down refinance the property. If #2, buy multiple with higher rates, wait for rate recover/refinance.

Over the next few yrs, I believe its a buying opportunity with #2 being more profitable unless rates miraculously drops.
JP76
I think we see another 1.75- 2 bp increase the rest of 2022. Then some .25 cuts starting in 2023. The problem is historically going into every other economic downturn, rates we're much higher and they had the ability to cut. If they don't keep raising to try to check inflation then they won't have to ammo to cut once this cycle turns down.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Single family was not an institutional asset class until the Great Recession. And even then, they were really buying more for beta than for cash flow. I joined Hines in 2013 and they were just starting their multifamily platform at that time. Most commercial folks considered multifamily "uncivilized" and wouldn't touch it even then. I advocated for student housing then and that wasn't received well (they now have a growing student housing platform). Build for rent and buy to rent are still only a couple (2-3) of years old.

Prices in Houston and Dallas fell about 7% during the Great Recession and fully recovered in about 2.5 years. Prices in Texas are up +/- 50% over the last two years, and institutional buyers are still paying cash (one of my listings got a full priced all cash offer from an institutional buyer yesterday), so I think the folks who have been "waiting for a correction" did not make the best choice. I'm also continuing to buy land for build for rent housing and my investors are still bullish on the asset class as well.
Sea Speed
AG
A coworker just sold her heights house and moved to a rental in Katy because she wanted to wait and see what would happen. I told her what someone here told me, that the best time to buy real estate was 10 years ago. The second best time is now.
Medaggie
The biggest mistake would be to sell and wait things out IMO esp if you are buying a similar priced home b/c of prop tax. I think I have about 20 yrs of homestead exemptions that would be gone if I traded into a similar home
Philip J Fry
AG
Red Pear DFW Luke said:

Well, my company is paying for relocation and paying the difference in interest rates is part of my package. I just need a ******* buyer to take my own house off my hands. Thinking we'll offer to pay down some points for them at close to get them off their duff.
La Bamba
AG
Diggity said:

Fannie Mae now predicting a 13.5% drop in sales volume this year and about the same next year.

So we will have, or are having, a crash in transactions. But will we have a crash in home prices? I don't think so. 75% of home mortgages have an interest rate of 4% or less according to Black Knight.

Yes there's less demand due to interest rates.
But there's also no supply cause no one who doesn't have to sell, won't.
rme
AG
Medaggie said:

The biggest mistake would be to sell and wait things out IMO esp if you are buying a similar priced home b/c of prop tax. I think I have about 20 yrs of homestead exemptions that would be gone if I traded into a similar home
Do you mean the "cap loss"? I'm guessing most homes have been under the 10% cap nearly every year except this year. Yes, moving to a similar priced home will increase your property taxes, but you might be significanty overestimating the impact…..unless these "crazy" valuations persist. Historically, I would have been more concerned about the hassle and transaction costs.
The Fife
Just a data point from outside of TX (Charleston, SC / adjacent to downtown), but it seems that things are softening in my immediate area a tiny bit. Right now places aren't getting offers because of the fact that they merely exist. In other words the ones where in the pictures you can see things like a really screwy kitchen layout or can't tell which bathroom is the master because none of them are done up a bit nicer / larger than the others are taking price drops.

Things that are contingent are still sky high though. Like $600K for 2,800 sq ft on a house where the 1st floor has no flooring because a water heater leak went unchecked, and it still has the original 1966 kitchen cabinets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.