Real Estate
Sponsored by

Real estate market is in a full blown correction

37,538 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fig96
itsyourboypookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to this writer.

What says you?

https://fortune.com/2022/05/27/housing-market-correction-peak-mark-zandi-moodys-home-prices-outlook/amp/
mwp02ag
AG
I says the fed pivot is coming.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Houses in my hood have gone from fifty cars at an open house, sold sign in two days to no cars and just sitting there for a couple of weeks.

I realize the later is more normal but holy hell what a change a month has made.

Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
What city is this in?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I think one thing we all need to realize - the sitting on the market for 2 days with thousands lined up to offer is not normal. We couldn't continue down that path.

Ain't nothing wrong with the RE market taking a little breather. Do I think rising rates are going to put pressure on prices? Absolutely but I'm not seeing tons of price drops, maybe after 20 or so days but that means the house was probably priced too high to begin with it.

I'll put it this way - regardless of whether the top is in or not - I don't think we will see a mass of foreclosures or anything like 2008 because the loans on the houses are so much sounder.
itsyourboypookie
My houses are all still selling cash
Bitter Old Man
AG
Quote:

It will also want home construction to slow. Elevated home construction, which this year hit its highest level since 2006, has put upward pressure on everything from lumber to steel to kitchen tables.
Not sure I'm on board with this statement. The elevated prices on everything is much more related to supply chain issues than new home construction. A reduction in new construction just makes supply tighter, which is part of the issue driving house prices.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Anyone who didnt see a correction coming with (in my area) 60% annual price appreciation plus 150-200bps increase in mortgage rates (all with no wage growth).... I cant help you.
itsyourboypookie
Bitter Old Man said:

Anyone who didnt see a correction coming with (in my area) 60% annual price appreciation plus 150-200bps increase in mortgage rates (all with no wage growth).... I cant help you.

My only fans is at $50,000 a month. How's that for wage growth?
mwp02ag
AG
Baller! Do you drop that all on one gal or spread it around to several?
itsyourboypookie
mwp02ag said:

Baller! Do you drop that all on one gal or spread it around to several?

jopatura
AG
Red Pear Felipe said:

What city is this in?

I have a friend trying to sell her house in Pflugerville, Travis County. It's been on the market 28 days, dropped $50k in price, and they've gotten no offers. They have to sell since they are moving out of state and are getting very worried they'll be carrying two houses for an extended period of time.
mwp02ag
AG
What neighborhood? It will be informative to see what's happening with the other listings in that area.
The Lost
jopatura said:

Red Pear Felipe said:

What city is this in?

I have a friend trying to sell her house in Pflugerville, Travis County. It's been on the market 28 days, dropped $50k in price, and they've gotten no offers. They have to sell since they are moving out of state and are getting very worried they'll be carrying two houses for an extended period of time.

Houses in high priced areas are going to be hit the hardest. Only so many people can by $1 mil or whatever crazy price your friends have out there.

We just had a tiny 1300 sq ft house list for $350, sold $420 cash in 36 hours.

Right level of houses are still flying, the silly prices ones will struggle and those people who thought they had insane equity will just have really good.
agsalaska
AG
I think people who are betting that there will be some major correction in Texas will be disappointed. There has been, in the words of our crypto friends, a bit of a blow off top over the last four or five months. But the price increases that were realized through 2021 are here to stay IMHO.

For example, I have a rental I bought in 2016 for $118,000. I priced it in December at about $235,000. The exact same home sold one street over last month for $270,000. That $270,000 was the blow off top and the $235,000 price will stick.
jopatura
AG
Highland Park.

Not a million dollar house either. Two months ago they would have gotten their asking price easy.
aglaes
AG
Memorial Day weekend is generally pretty slow period. It should pick up a bit in mid June as people with school age kids that are relocating over the summer start looking. But yeah interest rates are going to slow down people that don't have to make a move.
Sea Speed
AG
Figures seeing as I bought a new house just a month and a half ago.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Even if prices go down anyone who is searching and couldn't afford it at first is ready to buy. The demand is still there and if prices go down any sales will continue.
itsyourboypookie
jopatura said:

Red Pear Felipe said:

What city is this in?

I'll take over their mortgage. Get me in touch
itsyourboypookie
The Lost said:

jopatura said:

Red Pear Felipe said:

What city is this in?

Houses in high priced areas are going to be hit the hardest. Only so many people can by $1 mil or whatever crazy price your friends have out there.

We just had a tiny 1300 sq ft house list for $350, sold $420 cash in 36 hours.

Right level of houses are still flying, the silly prices ones will struggle and those people who thought they had insane equity will just have really good.

Sounds like you just sold a silly priced one
Medaggie
Market in Austin has softened alittle for sure. This time last year, almost all homes were off the market in a week with very very rare price reductions. I am seeing lots more price reductions and sitting for 2+ wks which was rare a yr ago.

Prices still may be going up but the buying frenzy has been muted.
tlepoC
AG
The problem with that house is that it's in Pflugerville.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
I'd like to see what the next ABOR housing report shows for May. I had a client lose out on a house in San Marcos that was listed for $399K and sold for $550K. I don't think there will be a housing crash per se but I believe the days of 25% yearly home appreciations will come to an end. I believe the market will correct itself to having 8-10% yearly appreciations.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
gringogambler
AG
I agree. We need to see a calming. Im buying another house next month (investment). Not expecting a crash unless govt creates one. The mrs is full-time Realtor so I am near the action.
Diggity
AG
BeastmodeAg said:

Even if prices go down anyone who is searching and couldn't afford it at first is ready to buy. The demand is still there and if prices go down any sales will continue.
not necessarily. Prices would have to drop precipitously to make up for the reduced buying power folks have after interest rates doubled in short order.
Diggity
AG
Red Pear Felipe said:

I'd like see what the next ABOR housing report shows for May. I had a client lose out on a house in San Marcos that was listed for $399K and sold for $550K. I don't think there will be a housing crash per se but I believe the days of 25% yearly home appreciations will come to an end. I believe the market will correct itself to having 8-10% yearly appreciations.
so you expect prices to roughly double every 7 years in your market? that doesn't sound sustainable.

tech is taking it in the shorts right now and Austin is largely predicated on that industry, Couple that with the recent run-up in the Hill Country and interest rate pressures and I wouldn't be shocked to see prices drop in your market.
Goody
AG
jopatura said:

Highland Park.

Not a million dollar house either. Two months ago they would have gotten their asking price easy.

starting point in hp is well over a million...tear downs included
jopatura
AG
Goody said:

jopatura said:

Highland Park.

starting point in hp is well over a million...tear downs included

Highland Park Pflugerville is not Highland Park Dallas area.
Philip J Fry
AG
Out here in California. A few months ago, your house would sell immediately.

Now, we haven't actually had anyone at the house for a showing and it's been on the market for 3 weeks. We had an open broker last week to gauge our price point and the consensus said we were spot on.

That said, no showings in 3 weekends? How do you get feet in the door besides dropping the price?
jagvocate
AG
You drop the price to the current market and it moves
Philip J Fry
AG
What's the current market when there are hardly any buyers?
bmks270
AG
"Prices going down" still means way higher price than a year ago. Even a 10% drop in price today is still 20% year over year gain in some of the hit markets. Prices in Florida are up 30% in a year!!!
jckrjr7
AG
jopatura said:

Highland Park.

In laws just sold their house in Highland Park Pflugerville no problem, I think it still went for $45k over asking. Just moved out this past weekend.
Matsui
AG
Ouch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.