Real Estate
Sponsored by

AC Supplement

1,436 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Fife
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone added a Mr Cool to supplement their central AC setup?

Apparently our normal unit is a bit to small. Could add a Mr cool split unit to a couple of rooms, disable the normal vents to allow for more air in other areas from central unit.

Cheaper than a new full sized unit.
Mateo84
AG
I don't have any experience with Mr. Cool, but I think I would be just upgrading the main unit instead of creating a patchwork system.
Caliber
AG
I think ultimately it depend on a lot of factors. I could see it being nice where you are creating areas that can have separate set points where you don't previously have a zoned system.

I don't think there really is a right/wrong answer. Just different pros and cons

one MEEN Ag
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Apparently our normal unit is a bit to small. Could add a Mr cool split unit to a couple of rooms, disable the normal vents to allow for more air in other areas from central unit.

Whats the remaining life on the central unit? How many rooms and how many units for these mini splits? When you replace the central AC, do you plan to no longer need these or plan to keep the mini splits?

Biggest issue is going to be to get all of the mini splits to be in concert with one another and the HVAC.

If this is to alleviate the master bedroom because it faces the sun, the central AC can't keep up and its going to be 5+ years to replace the central unit - go for it.

Anything more I'd be leery.

AggieKatie2
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Whats the remaining life on the central unit? How many rooms and how many units for these mini splits? When you replace the central AC, do you plan to no longer need these or plan to keep the mini splits?

Biggest issue is going to be to get all of the mini splits to be in concert with one another and the HVAC.

If this is to alleviate the master bedroom because it faces the sun, the central AC can't keep up and its going to be 5+ years to replace the central unit - go for it.

Purchased house new 5 years ago, so unit has lots of life yet.

Have two rooms on sun side of house that would benefit from minisplit.

I would have minisplit only in those rooms.

Would give more ability to HVAC to cool upstairs and remaining downstairs.
one MEEN Ag
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Purchased house new 5 years ago, so unit has lots of life yet.

Have two rooms on sun side of house that would benefit from minisplit.

I would have minisplit only in those rooms.

Would give more ability to HVAC to cool upstairs and remaining downstairs.
Two rooms and relatively new HVAC thats trying to cool the house with one unit. Yeah go buy some mini splits.

If you wanted to get really crazy. They sell zoned aftermarket kits with controllers for central units. You could just hook your current system up with a zoned set up to help it send more AC to specific rooms that need it. Pros: You could cost save by having freezing bedrooms rooms and warmer living rooms during the nights. Cons: Doesn't fix your need for just more cooling power.
Admiral_ZAX
AG
Have you had an air balance done recently? Could be the hot rooms aren't getting enough airflow. You really can't undersize a unit these days when you are talking about a new construction with the ac company getting the most accurate information from the builder.
AggieKatie2
AG
2900sqft with a 4 ton unit.

Does fine except for summer time upstairs and in daughter's downstairs room which is sun facing
The Fife
I'd look into installing a radiant barrier in the attic if you don't have one already. It made a huge difference at both houses I've done it in. Less heat load -> HVAC runs less.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.