Real Estate
Sponsored by

BRRRR

13,547 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I wanted to do a post for the properties that we BRRRR to encourage existing and future investors to go do great things, then share their experiences so that we all learn and get better.

BRRRR stands for: Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat. Once you understand the concept, its a truly beautiful thing because you now have a perpetual money machine. The basics:

Buy--The more work it needs, the better. Make sure that the ARV (after repair value) supports the refi process and that it will cash flow after complete.

Renovate--Fix it up! Create value wherever possible.

Rent--Find tenants, maximize your rents.

Refinance--Go get new long term financing at a good rate and good terms. LTV and cash flow is king. Show off your fancy new tenants and house to your lender! Cash out as much as possible for future deals.

Repeat--If you played your cards right, your total investment in the deal is now should be either $0, or you might even take cash away from closing. You now have a cash flowing property with no money in the deal. Now go do it again.

If you want to read more, here's the book on BRRRR:

https://www.amazon.com/Buy-Rehab-Rent-Refinance-Repeat/dp/1947200089

And our first subject for this thread is....
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
408 Tabor St, 77009

https://www.har.com/homedetail/408-tabor-st-houston-tx-77009/9408863

This one was listed at $375,000 and while it had multiple offers, we paid $409,000 less about $4,000 in credits for things found during due diligence, so say $405,000. It's currently a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, and we plan to turn it into a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, without moving any exterior walls, and then AirBNB the property. I'll update with renovation scope and pricing early next week, but here are some pics:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
NoahAg
Will follow.
Rice and Fries
Is this the perpetual money machine you are trying to get to?

either way, definitely interested!
JobSecurity
AG
Definitely following. This is probably my entrance into RE investing in the next couple years. Now seems like almost the worst possible time to get started with how hot the market is.

Do you normally look for potential structural changes like adding beds/baths to add value? This property wouldn't have jumped out at me because it's in fairly good shape and doesn't need a lot of updating. If you could give a little detail about how you evaluated this and decided to invest that would be awesome.
AgLaw07
AG
Following - have money set aside to enter this crazy business and have read the book referenced in the OP. Great concept IF you get the "buy" part right which is what I'm struggling to find in this market.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Great post Jamie, am interested in watching this unfold. I've definitely got a couple questions about the refinance at the end (why).

So just ballparking here, you probably put down 10% on a 30 year note at probably 4.5% because this is an investment property. So that mortgage is probably $2050. Taxes at 2% effective would put it at 7400 a year or 620 a month. Insurance probably 1500-1800 (150 a month) as an umbrella policy for renting out. So total monthly costs are 2880 just on the note, probably 3100 after electricity, water, gas, internet.

So you're plan is to add a bedroom and bathroom. I assume that master suite took over an original 3rd bedroom with the interesting trim work where a dividing wall would be. Its on a pier and beam foundation so adding baths aren't that big of a pain compared to slabs. With your penchant for sweat equity you're probably looking at 15k-20k and 3 months of work.

So 26k to get it ready for AirBnBing and interest lost while it sat.

So you've refinanced, you've made yourself whole on your renovation costs now its time to cash flow. AirBnBs in that area are actually pretty hard to get a reading on. Looks like people want to sleep 6 or 8 (good reasons for your bump) and are willing to pay 200-280 a night for that. So if you find a way to get booked solid, you're probably looking at 7000 a month in revenue after you collect those sweet sweet cleaning fees. But usually people aren't booked solid. So probably half that. 3500 a month on a 3100 loan.

So my big big question to you is, what are you adding to your AirBnB that drives foot traffic to the point people will just come stay on a tuesday night at your place?

Great stuff!

Diggity
AG
Figure closer to 2.4% for taxes

Assuming Jamie's wife took a commission on there, that would cover roughly 1/2 of your estimated renovation costs.
aggieactor01
itsyourboypookie
We bought this for 55k.

Cleaned it, listed it for 125k

It's under contract for 120k

If it wouldn't sell we would of pt a tenant in at $1200 a month abd refied with a local bank.

BRRRR is the only way we invest abd are doing it with small apartment complexes.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The biggest thing I could tell you is that your first deal isn't about getting you set for life, it's about getting your feet wet and momentum rolling in your favor. You'll grow over time, with experience in deals, and over time, get comfortable with different kinds of deals. I really like "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" book because 50% of the book is devoted to trying to convince people that they can invest. I've lost count of how many lunches or beers I've had with people wanting to know the secret sauce, but when I tell them, they never take that first step for whatever reason.

We spend about 15-30 minutes each morning looking at new listings around town, studying the market and searching for opportunities, whatever those might be. I enjoy renovations and construction, and don't mind getting my hands dirty, so if we can add value through construction, or adding square footage, or just renovating, that's great. You definitely have to be creative and think outside of the box on some of these, but the more "hairy" the deal, to me, that presents more opportunities for us to make money.

The master bedroom on this one is currently something like 27x12, which is essentially double the dimensions that a room could be. At the time this one was built, it was pretty common to have a bedroom that was accessed through another bedroom. We would mostly think that's weird today, so at some point, someone took a 3 bed house and made it a 2 bed with a really big master bedroom (for this area). And when we saw it in person, we realized that the kitchen pantry could be turned into an entry to the new third bedroom, we can make the existing door space from the kitchen to the master into a new pantry, and go from there.
EclipseAg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

So total monthly costs are 2880 just on the note, probably 3100 after electricity, water, gas, internet.

Something else to consider. Typically when you buy a vacation home, it conveys with furnishings ... all the way down to the pots and pans.

But most residential homes don't. So that means fully furnishing it as a short-term rental -- three bedrooms, bathrooms, living room, fully stocked kitchen, TVs, etc.

You don't want to cheap out on all that, and that gets expensive fast. What kind of budget is set aside for furnishings?
Redstone
AG
Pookie, do you follow Cardone?

If so, I'm tempted to effort-post against that clown.

itsyourboypookie
Redstone said:

Pookie, do you follow Cardone?

If so, I'm tempted to effort-post against that clown.

I do follow Cardone. Read all of his books. And our company is enrolled in Cardone U.

It's the main reason we are flipping 10-20 houses a month vs 10- 20 a year.
one MEEN Ag
AG
What's the issue with Cardone?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Honest question, how has Cardone's books/resources helped y'all scale an order of magnitude?
Rice and Fries
one MEEN Ag said:

Are we talking Grant Cardone?

You should know the the agencies have serious concerns about doing business with him after that story/lawsuit.
mazag08
AG
I can't stress enough how important it is to do your due diligence and make sure the rental market exists for you to reach your goals in the deal. Jamie would agree with this.

If you are paying $350,000 and the ARV is $500k but the average rent in the neighborhood is $1,200, you're going to have a hard time being successful.

Do your research and run a conservative pro forma. If you ever have to start making aggressive assumptions or leaps of faith to make a deal work, it's not a good deal.
Redstone
AG
Oh are you guys tempting me to really tee off on Cardone. He's a major crook, and I say that with very solid evidence. Let's start with some serious long-term analysis:

- https://tonyortega.org/category/scientology/grant-cardone/

- https://scientologymoneyproject.com/tag/grant-cardone/
one MEEN Ag
AG
Man, I have no idea. Someone mentioned Cardone is great and someone else had strong opinions in the other direction.

I know Pookie does flips for a living, just interested to hear about what makes this dude so controversial while at the same time Pookies saying this guy is the reason he's scaled.
Redstone
AG
Start with these two tags. If you're really interested, take the weekend and read. It will be a while.

This guy is a huckster extraordinaire. Now let's say you set aside the Scientology (which you shouldn't). Then, set aside the ridiculous videos where he lies constantly (which you shouldn't).

What do you have?

HUCKSTERISM - ACCORDING TO HIS OWN FILINGS!!!!
Redstone
AG
10X what?

His wallet, by people buying his NONSENSE confidence tricks.

READ THE 2 TAGS
Redstone
AG
Last post:

I'm glad I took over this thread, if it saves just 1 person from Grant Cardone.
flyingaggie12
AG
The fees he charges his investors are absurd
mazag08
AG
Rice and Fries said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Are we talking Grant Cardone?

You should know the the agencies have serious concerns about doing business with him after that story/lawsuit.

He has an office of cold callers squeezing increments of $5k from fools willing to part with their money without doing due diligence.

He's been buying lots of multifamily. Give it a couple years and we should see some results.

This historical boom market has ushered in a ton of new investors, especially in the multifamily space. Everyone can slap lipstick on a pig using cheap debt and make a profit when cap rates compress ridiculously like they have the last 5 years. What separates the good ones from the fakers is who is still in business after the next recession. I'd be willing to bet both the multifamily and single family sectors see a shake out of at least 25% of operators.
mazag08
AG
Also, regarding Jamie's BRRR strategy..

When you pro forma the deal, you better be operating under the assumption that your refinance will be at rates at least 50bps higher than they are when you close. Hopefully they aren't, but a higher cost refinance than expected can squeeze your profit margin if you're not careful. Always plan on the conservative side.

Remember, you're looking for deals, not to buy for the sake of buying.
Rice and Fries
Amen.

We are getting to the point where the delta between note rates and cap rates are slim to none or even inverted on a few deals of 90s vintage that's been renovated that I've seen. That reduces your margin for error even more.

But some of these funds just have so much money they need to get out the door and into assets. Makes them super aggressive.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Outstanding analysis. I'm going to try and unpack the deal as best I can here.

As mentioned earlier, the room dimensions gave us hope that we could expand into a third bedroom, but we couldn't verify until we saw the house in person. Once we saw the home in person, we made an aggressive offer that we hoped would win us the deal, but allow profit once renovations were factored in.

We decided to put 25% down, which allowed us to get conventional financing at something like 3.25% at par, but because we are planning to refi once the renovations are done, we decided to take something like a $3,300 credit from the lender, and increase our rate to 3.625% (the break even is approximately 36 months, so as long as we refi before then, taking the cash makes sense). 25% down at 3.625% is $1,398.94 per month for principal and interest.

For taxes we assume 2.5% (but as Diggity mentioned, its something lower, so this is conservative). And for insurance, we have a great insurance provider that got us a rate of $1,500 (that will decrease to $1,100 per year once we replace the 17 year old roof).

So we've got a total monthly payment of:

PI: $1,398.94
T: $852.08
I: $91.66
Total: $2,342.68

Because we decided to AirBNB it, we will need to pay to furnish the home (I'll do another post about this, but we are going to spend right at $6,000 to fully fit out the home), as well as the following monthly costs:

Water/Sewer/Trash: $40
Electric: $150 (estimate)
Gas: $25
Internet: $75
All other items: $100
Subtotal: $390

Grant Total: $2,732.68

Next up, AirBNB...the story one MEEN Ag has been waiting for. This isn't our first go with short term rentals, we've been doing them for about 3 years now. Here's the secret sauce....

Clean.
Take good pictures.
Communicate effectively.
Make check in seamless.
Transition quickly between guests.
Provide a good value to guests.

That's it. If you can do all those things, you'll do well.

On the revenue side, I never want to be completely reliant on anyone, so I won't do a deal if it ONLY works as an AirBNB. This one works as an AirBNB and a long term rental, so we could do the deal comfortably. My guess is that as a 3/2, I could rent it for around $2,600 on a long term basis to a couple of kids fresh out of college who are looking for a fun spot in the Heights. So that box is checked. On the AirBNB revenue side, here is our conservative analysis:

30.5 days in a month
$225 per night (this equates to about $300 per night for the guest after cleaning fees, AirBNB fees and taxes)
75% occupancy
So that's $5,146.88 in gross revenues per month.

The reality is though, that some months we do better than 75%, and others we do worse. I just opened up one of our other units from a guest that stayed about 45 days, so that worked really well.

Posts for another day:
Construction Budget / Scope / Process
ARV
AirBNB Furnishings
Cardone rant (don't sue me bro)
EclipseAg
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Because we decided to AirBNB it, we will need to pay to furnish the home (I'll do another post about this, but we are going to spend right at $6,000 to fully fit out the home)

That seems incredibly low. I just finished getting new living room furniture, and we spent $10,000. And we were bring frugal.

one MEEN Ag
AG
EclipseAg said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Because we decided to AirBNB it, we will need to pay to furnish the home (I'll do another post about this, but we are going to spend right at $6,000 to fully fit out the home)

That seems incredibly low. I just finished getting new living room furniture, and we spent $10,000. And we were bring frugal.

Facebook marketplace is frugal. 10k ain't frugal. You might be deal hunting, but you still went to restoration hardware, not exclusive furniture (where low prices live).
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

EclipseAg said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Facebook marketplace is frugal. 10k ain't frugal. You might be deal hunting, but you still went to restoration hardware, not exclusive furniture (where low prices live).

We were shocked at some of the deals we got with FB marketplace and what people were willing to give away completely. Also, Janet may be willing to do some personal shopping for hire. She's REALLY good at it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Interesting thread. What did you base your 75% occupancy on?
itsyourboypookie
one MEEN Ag said:

Honest question, how has Cardone's books/resources helped y'all scale an order of magnitude?

Only when we apply the principles.

The problem with scaling is wanting to have capital on hand to hire vs hiring to drive revenue.

Most people struggle to hire with the right goals. Everyone on our staff sells everything we offer to everyone they talk to everyday.
itsyourboypookie
Ol Jock 99 said:

Interesting thread. What did you base your 75% occupancy on?

A good economy that's not over saturated with Airbnb rentals.

In heavly regulated areas like Napa CA there's only a handful of properties allowed to Airbnb, which makes it safe, but impossible to buy.

In other areas every house can Airbnb. Which makes it tough in a retraction.

I have friends that make piles of cash doing STR, but I know others that eat the holding costs every month.

We only buy what will cashflow rented on a monthly basis. And try to stick to the 2% rent rule in everything we buy.

We are closing on a 20 unit apartment complex this month for 680k. Will invest 150k into it. Gross rents will be $15,000 a month.

We are buying it with private capital on an interest only loan.

Will refi with a local bank within 6 months on a 20 year 5.5% interest loan and get most, if not all of our money out.

Then season it for 1 year to get a strong T12 and look to exit, or refi onto a Freddie Fannie product in the 3% interest range 30 year am.
Redstone
AG
Cardone's primary principle of business is fee structures for himself very much NOT IN LINE AT ALL with industry norms.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.