Real Estate
Sponsored by

Having a hard time justifying a $12,000 buyers realtor fee on a $400,000 house

15,451 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
AggiePlaya
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

They were giving him $6K and taking $12K from him

Never forget the nice guy in the model home works for the builder and doesn't GAF about you.

But, but, they told me they would save me money if I didn't use a realtor and they seemed like they would hook me up!!!!

THIS is an example of why some people should use a realtor
Diggity
AG
I'm always curious how a buyer would just blindly use the builders lender without shopping the rate.
IrishTxAggie
AG
jja79 said:

Let me add one more thing.

Guy I'm talking about was going to go down $6K right off the bat with the incestuous builder/lender financing they offered him and then take a payment $129/month above market for as long as he maintains that loan.

He called me because he has a buddy who's wife is a Realtor. He was bragging to them about getting $6K in closing costs from the builder/lender and the Realtor wife told him he should probably get a second opinion because it sounded to her like he was getting hosed.

Builders love to see unrepresented buyers come in the door.

Builders hold open houses for Realtors, they offer bonuses to Realtors, they offer trips to Realtors. If you think they mind paying Realtors I'd have to disagree.
I'm drawn in now... What was his response to the builder after they tried to go in dry on him?
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I used a Realtor on my new construction build about 5 years ago. She was a waste of time and didn't add anything to really be of value. I did get her to agree to split the 3% commission.

See me other thread I recently posted. I used Creekview Realty. They took 1% commission and I kept 2%.
AggiePlaya
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

I used a Realtor on my new construction build about 5 years ago. She was a waist of time and didn't add anything to really be of value. I did get her to agree to split the 3% commission.

See me other thread I recently posted. I used Creekview Realty. They took 1% commission and I kept 2%.
I'm not a realtor, but you can't even spell "waste" so why should I take your word for realtors sucking?

And just because you had a bad realtor it doesn't mean it is a "waist" of time...
mazag08
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

I used a Realtor on my new construction build about 5 years ago. She was a waist of time and didn't add anything to really be of value. I did get her to agree to split the 3% commission.

I had a lengthy reply on your other thread but it never showed up when Logan restored it.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG
Sasappis said:

Diggity said:

I'm always curious how a buyer would just blindly use the builders lender without shopping the rate.

The same folks who use dealer financing without a second thought.

I use dealer financing all the time to get them to toss in a bunch of incentives and things. Then I turn around and go to Randolph Brooks and refinance it before the first payment is even do.
jja79
AG
You're an attorney right? If the seller picks the title company don't they have to pay the title policy?
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Woops. Grammatical error.

Yes, I did have a bad experience with my Realtor and I'm sure it might have been different with another agent.

However, if I'm selecting the floor plan, the lot, the upgrades, shopping my own rates etc, what value would a Realor offer in a new build? My market was really hot and they were not budging on price for anyone.
AggiePlaya
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

Woops. Grammatical error.

Yes, I did have a bad experience with my Realtor and I'm sure it might have been different with another agent.

However, if I'm selecting the floor plan, the lot, the upgrades, shopping my own rates etc, what value would a Realor offer in a new build? My market was really hot and they were not budging on price for anyone.
What value did your flat fee realtor offer you?

The funny thing is, you don't realize that you didn't even have to give up the 1% to the flat fee realtor if you knew what you were doing. So, for someone who acts like they don't need a realtor you still gave up 1% that you didn't need to if u did it all yourself.

I have enough experience that I can negotiate the terms and fill out the contract with the builder without having to even hire a flat fee realtor. Why didn't you do that if u don't need a realtor?
AGGIE WH08P
AG
AggiePlaya said:

The funny thing is, you don't realize that you didn't even have to give up the 1% to the flat fee realtor if you knew what you were doing. So, for someone who acts like they don't need a realtor you still gave up 1% that you didn't need to if u did it all yourself.

I have enough experience that I can negotiate the terms and fill out the contract with the builder without having to even hire a flat fee realtor. Why didn't you do that if u don't need a realtor?

Wow. You're mixing two different experiences here.
I used flat fee Realtor when I recently BOUGHT and SOLD. My recent purchase was an existing home, not new build. That's when I used a flat fee agent.

Have you bought a new construction home by chance? I'm assuming you have not based on your comments. For those that have, they know that you can't just get 3% reduced off the asking price since you're not represented by a realtor. I don't care how great you are with contract or if you're even a real estate attorney and deal with contract daily. They won't cut out 3% if it is a decent market. However, like others have mentioned, they might give you a little better upgrade package/allowance, but usually not 3% worth of $.

My comments about a bad experience was with full rate (3%) Realtor is when we built a new home 6 years ago. She didn't save me one penny, never followed up on the building process or really anything else. Luckily, I was clear with her up front that all the leg work was already done and I was just looking for someone to split the 3% commission with that my builder offered to buyers that had agents. I got 1.5% and she got 1.5%. Had I gone with a flat fee guy and split it 2%\1%, I would have been $1,500 ahead on my $300k home
Diggity
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

She didn't save me one penny, never followed up on the building process or really anything else. Luckily, I was clear with her up front that all the leg work was already done and I was just looking for someone to split the 3% commission with that my builder offered to buyers that had agents.

Sounds like you got what you asked for. Why the dissatisfaction?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Diggity said:

AGGIE WH08P said:

She didn't save me one penny, never followed up on the building process or really anything else. Luckily, I was clear with her up front that all the leg work was already done and I was just looking for someone to split the 3% commission with that my builder offered to buyers that had agents.

I think he is misusing "bad experience". I believe he is trying to say that he found a cheaper alternative for what he wanted.
Diggity
AG
I was referencing their earlier quote:

Quote:

Just thought it was strange that they went to an agent, said they were going to do the legwork if the agent would split their commission, then complained later that the agent didn't do more of the legwork.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Diggity said:

I was referencing their earlier quote:

Quote:

Just thought it was strange that they went to an agent, said they were going to do the legwork if the agent would split their commission, then complained later that the agent didn't do more of the legwork.
Ah. Missed that portion. Carry-on.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Diggity said:

AGGIE WH08P said:

I think he is misusing "bad experience". I believe he is trying to say that he found a cheaper alternative for what he wanted.

Ya, that's probably correct.
When we agreed to split the commission, my realtor still said she was going to make weekly visits with the builder to check up on the build and make sure it wouldn't fall behind schedule. And she committed to a few other things that she wasn't able to deliver on as well.

I had already planned to be at the new house every 3-5 days to take pics of the construction (to know where water lines and electrical wires etc. were before it was sheet rocked). I visited with the builder every other time I was in the area and they mentioned that they hadn't seen the realtor when I mentioned it. My realtor even said she got the keys from the sales office to walk through the house a few times (they kept it locked) and after talking to my builder, they were like...wtf??? We haven't seen her once.

If I had to do it over again (with a new build), I'd reach out to a realtor and ask what they would charge me if they represented me and only had to show up at closing. Nothing else. Causes that is about what I got. No, I damn sure didn't get what I paid for or what we agreed to....I got a lot less.
jja79
AG
Sasappis said:

And don't forget the builder owned title companies who help push the myths that you need/have to use the builders lender.
Can you offer an opinion on the link below? It looks to me like the required title company is a violation.

http://realtormag.realtor.org/law-and-ethics/law/article/2013/03/respa-rules-agents
Diggity
AG
most buyers really don't give a crap about the title company so I don't this this comes up much.
jja79
AG
I think it matters when the builder says they won't pay the OTP unless you use the preferred lender. This reads to me like the buyer has leverage. We've already discussed how important it is to shop the builder's lender. This is just another part of how one sided that transaction can be.
Diggity
AG
I don't think there are any rules against requiring the buyer to use the builder's preferred lender in order to get OTP paid for. It's a bit of an end around.

If the buyer really pushed on it, I'm sure they could close somewhere else. I just don't see it come up much.
jja79
AG
Have you read that article? It's not crystal clear to me but it seems there some connection between shared ownership of the title company. I just find the CFPB going to all kinds of lengths to protect consumers on so many fronts and just letting builders run roughshod over them odd.
Diggity
AG
I'm aware of the guidelines. Don't see anything in there to prohibit builders from doing what I mentioned.
leanderag82
AG
I am a builder and a licensed realtor and own part of a title company and have a preferred lender we utilize. Here is my in-site.

First, if you have already visited the model/builder in question, it is established whether you have a realtor or not. Your realtor would have registered you (or accompanied you) to the models. If your realtor did that, you have a realtor. If you went without a realtor, you don't have a realtor and the builder is not going to let you add one after the fact (most builders will fire their on-site agent if they find out they are adding realtors). It is simple question of procuring cause. Did a realtor lead you to the builder? If so, they should be paid by the builder.

With regards to negotiating a better deal with, or without, a realtor the fact is with most builders it does not matter. You are probably going to get the same price regardless. Most use an average of what % of deals come through the door with a realtor. This goes into our job cost. It is not 3% and it is usually more than than 1.5%.

Builders can't take a huge $ amount off one home, because it does not have an realtor, since it would potentially kill future appraisals.

That being said, if a builder has sitting inventory and you make an offer, they will look at their job cost in figuring out if they can/will accept your offer. If you don't have a realtor, you might get a better deal at times (i.e. more builder paid CC, blinds, refrigerator, washer/dryer, etc). Your probably not going to get much off the price.

As a bulder, we love realtors who bring their clients in and let the on-site sales person do the work and get out of the way. The good top producers have done their homework and know if they get their client with right builder they can get the deal done and move on to another client. I pay realtors an average of $18k/home just for bringing the client by our models.

Some builders have their own contracts (i.e. most of the large builders). As a medium size builder we use TREC forms and amendments to clarify the deal. Most buyers and realtors prefer the TREC forms. Some of the builders contracts are one sides, so read them carefully. However, you will not get a major builder (i.e. Lennar/Horton/Pulte) to change their contract.

I have a preferred lender we use. While some builders own the lender, in my case we only use & recommend the lender because they have good rates and do what they say they are going to do. Some lenders do play games with the rates & CC so you have to do your homework. My preferred lender will pay the owners title policy cost for the buyer if they utilize them. Yet they know the rate & service must be there to get our referral as the builder. We don't get anything from the lender except good service.

I own a portion of a title company we use. It is disclosed at contract. We can't require our buyers to use the title company but 95% of them do. from what I see, they pay lower escrow fees, etc at our title company than the big title agencies. Of course the title policy fees are set and are non-negotiable.

I hope this information helps you in you home buying quest.
mgreen
leanderag82 said:

I am a builder and a licensed realtor and own part of a title company and have a preferred lender we utilize. Here is my in-site.

First, if you have already visited the model/builder in question, it is established whether you have a realtor or not. Your realtor would have registered you (or accompanied you) to the models. If your realtor did that, you have a realtor. If you went without a realtor, you don't have a realtor and the builder is not going to let you add one after the fact (most builders will fire their on-site agent if they find out they are adding realtors). It is simple question of procuring cause. Did a realtor lead you to the builder? If so, they should be paid by the builder.

With regards to negotiating a better deal with, or without, a realtor the fact is with most builders it does not matter. You are probably going to get the same price regardless. Most use an average of what % of deals come through the door with a realtor. This goes into our job cost. It is not 3% and it is usually more than than 1.5%.

Builders can't take a huge $ amount off one home, because it does not have an realtor, since it would potentially kill future appraisals.

That being said, if a builder has sitting inventory and you make an offer, they will look at their job cost in figuring out if they can/will accept your offer. If you don't have a realtor, you might get a better deal at times (i.e. more builder paid CC, blinds, refrigerator, washer/dryer, etc). Your probably not going to get much off the price.

As a bulder, we love realtors who bring their clients in and let the on-site sales person do the work and get out of the way. The good top producers have done their homework and know if they get their client with right builder they can get the deal done and move on to another client. I pay realtors an average of $18k/home just for bringing the client by our models.

Some builders have their own contracts (i.e. most of the large builders). As a medium size builder we use TREC forms and amendments to clarify the deal. Most buyers and realtors prefer the TREC forms. Some of the builders contracts are one sides, so read them carefully. However, you will not get a major builder (i.e. Lennar/Horton/Pulte) to change their contract.

I have a preferred lender we use. While some builders own the lender, in my case we only use & recommend the lender because they have good rates and do what they say they are going to do. Some lenders do play games with the rates & CC so you have to do your homework. My preferred lender will pay the owners title policy cost for the buyer if they utilize them. Yet they know the rate & service must be there to get our referral as the builder. We don't get anything from the lender except good service.

I own a portion of a title company we use. It is disclosed at contract. We can't require our buyers to use the title company but 95% of them do. from what I see, they pay lower escrow fees, etc at our title company than the big title agencies. Of course the title policy fees are set and are non-negotiable.

Great reply. This should be the end of this thread. He covered it all.

SteveBott
AG
Why end the thread?! I'll quote my price to Leander's shop all day. And he is just one builder that takes a neutral approach to mortgage. I've seen much worse.
NCNJ1217
AG
leanderag82 said:

Disclosure (since we are all doing that): I am not a lender, builder, broker, or anything except regular homeowner.

To me the above sounds like a best case scenario, and a buyer could oftentimes do a lot worse. Kudos to you though for running your business a certain way.
Ornlu
AG
Thank you, that is exactly what I was asking.
leanderag82
AG
Interesting trend in California markets is, on new construction, a lot of builders do not coop with realtors. On a $1,000,000 home they might pay a referral fee of $2500 or so. They don't pay 3%.

I have never seen it done in Texas.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Probably because most of the new build houses are over $1MM and that'd be $30K/house.
ktownag08
AG
My set up for my recent new build was 2.5% back to me from the realtor. We both got what we wanted out of the deal so very happy.

I used a flat fee realtor in a high cost area before on a new build that took $3500, and I got the balance of the 3%. Again, we got got what we wanted from the deal and so did they.

Both were helpful and checked in, were available as needed, etc. I attribute this to their business models of high volume that still takes positive word of mouth from clients to grow their business.

In other situations though, I've used the traditional model and found it to be worth every penny. It's a case by case decision.
TamuKid
AG
ktownag08 said:

Used a realtor for my new build that rebated back 2.5%. Realtor just mailed me a check within days after closing as I wanted to keep my arrangement separate from closing. All went smooth!
Curious... how did you do this without it being mortgage fraud? Don't you have to disclose all that on closing forms? I thought realtor rebates could only be used towards closing costs, discount points, pre-paids, etc.
scrap
AG
exp said:

I'm in the market for a property in this range and thinking I can't F up the contract so bad as to be worth that premium. I've been through two house purchases and sales before so I'm not totally green either. I also feel like I've done most of the legwork up to this point scouting the market and viewing houses.

I'm looking at new construction options...am I crazy to think I can go at this myself and try to negotiate the price even lower?

I wouldn't be opposed to be represented by someone for a flat fee of like $5000 but $12000 just makes me choke a little bit.

Counsel me TexAgs.
I guess I'm not going to be the popular one on this thread, as my two cents is contrary to most on this post. If you have any confidence in your abilities and you have a good feel for what the builders are negotiating then by all means go in there and negotiate your best deal and leverage the 3% buyers agent commission. Be advised some builders are only paying 2% sellers commissions but find out. Research if builders are negotiating price or are they holding to their pricing schedule.

The home I live in, I bought from a builder in 1998. I negotiated my price, which was basically what the builder was asking as I was buying when the market was HOT. Builders were raising prices monthly. After we agreed on upgrades ect, I simply asked for a 3% discount since I didn't have a realtor or if they preferred I would bring one in before I sign the deal. They were very accommodating and offered to reduce the price 2%. I'm not sure if they were only paying 2% to listing agents or not but I took the 2% and was happy. It took 6 months to build and my floor plan increased $30k by the time I took possession.

One thing I have learned in life is that EVERYTHING is NEGOTIABLE and it could change daily as to what someone is willing to give or take. Also don't assume that just because you have a realtor that they know how to work the new build process to get the best pricing. I doubt most do, but I would guess there are some who have a lot of experience with new builders and their advice could be priceless. Finding the right realtor is shot in the dark for most.

I am free of any conflict of interest, I have no dog in the hunt, not a realtor, lender or insurance agent.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.