Real Estate
Sponsored by

3-story Ag Shack?

4,914 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dubi
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At Fidelity and Wellborn. Where did this thing pop up from? Cant believe they got it approved. In a nice and visible location too. I have to think it could serve to polarize people that otherwise didn't have an opinion. Its one thing to have a two story next door. Totally different when you go three story+. Could lead to the developers own demise.
Oogway
You mean the one right by the corner? Most of the homeowners have been run out of that neighborhood I believe. Once the construction for the underpass starts, whoo-hoo, have fun living there!

That area of Wellborn is a cluster- - most of the buildings are built to the edge of the sidewalk. Wellborn is hemmed in by the RR tracks so that is going to be fun times when they want to widen it.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
yes it's WAAAY too much for that lot. Disappointing... and I bet not enough room for all the cars that will be housed there. The top story is literally in the trees on the back side (unless they tore it down in the last week)... actually took a pic this morning while stopped because it is just so big! #thatswhatshesaid
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
dubi
AG
I noticed it on the way home from work yesterday.

dubi
AG

It is simply enormous next to a 2 story AG shack.
JP76
How many bedrooms is it ?
dubi
AG
JP76 said:

How many bedrooms is it ?
I just did a quick drive by for the photo; I am unsure about the bed/bath configuration.
Oogway
Did the City ever get an overlay for the neighborhood over there? Over a year ago they were discussing it because people who had lived a little further south were being taxed out of their homes but in turn had nowhere to go.

City says no limit on # of bedrooms that can be built, but no more than four unrelated can live there. Nudge nudge wink wink or by the book? How do you all feel about this?
dubi
AG
Oogway said:

How do you all feel about this?
I am infuriated by this!

COCS has totally lost control. It should just be the number of occupants. And if that exceeds 4 then they need to provide LEGAL proof they are related.

The "no more than 4" on the lease is absolute BS.
Oogway
The whole 4 on the lease plus 4 bf/gf = 8 cars is not very appealing is it?!
dubi
AG
Oogway said:

The whole 4 on the lease plus 4 bf/gf = 8 cars is not very appealing is it?!
I live near there, but east of Dexter. We have entire streets ruined with old trashed student rental homes. So we have a bad situation and I'm not even discussing "aggie dorms".

Timm, Goode, and Village are examples. Drive down Village one night.
Oogway
I'm over there once in awhile (love Gabbard Pk), and yes, some of the homes need some love. In other places I've lived, the Landlords are held much more responsible for property maintenance etc than here. I mean, if someone wants to run a business, I get that they want autonomy, but rental properties are a special case due to location and habitation. It is a tricky balance between over regulation and livability for all. Many of the local landlords are great, but it's the few who aren't that give all a bad name.
Too bad some of these empty places aren't resold as starter homes to keep down the sprawl....
dubi
AG
Quote:

Too bad some of these empty places aren't resold as starter homes to keep down the sprawl....
The only problem is a family would not want to be sandwiched in among 30 student occupied homes.
hopeandrealchange
Call code enforcement. Call code enforcement.
Those of us who own rentals and play by the rules continue to be penalized when a large percentage of rental owners do not play by the rules.
Did I mention call code enforcement?
dubi
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Call code enforcement. Call code enforcement.
Those of us who own rentals and play by the rules continue to be penalized when a large percentage of rental owners do not play by the rules.
Did I mention call code enforcement?
I report them to SeeClickFix (ie code enforcement) all the time. I drive through the neighborhood to/from work and take the time to photograph the violations.

I have had TWO where they did the review of the leases and actually made a kid move out. All the others I submitted had the "fake" lease with only 4 tenants.

A year or two ago there was a house on Thomas that had 8 occupants and they got away with it. I can't imagine living next door to them.
CS78
Oogway said:

Did the City ever get an overlay for the neighborhood over there? Over a year ago they were discussing it because people who had lived a little further south were being taxed out of their homes but in turn had nowhere to go.
Do you mean the state streets? Taxed out of their homes was a completely false narrative! Go check the CAD values. Values have always been kept well below market due to who lives there. I own some properties there and it's the only place in Brazos county that I haven't consistently had to fight values every year. I have a 3/1.5 house that is currently assessed at $71,900. That's crazy! That's where the county put it. Not me fighting for it to be that low. No doubt in my mind the local government is doing the people in the states streets a favor because of who they are. The city used the "taxed out of their home" bogeyman as a means to get the residents onboard with the cities overlay and maintain the demographic of that neighborhood. It wouldn't surprise me if they were promised that if they'd get on board with the overlay, their taxes would be lowered even further. As soon as the overlay was put in place my lot value went from 40,000 to 28,000. That got me wondering, so in searching the CAD, they dropped lot values for everyone in the state streets last year by 30%. Why? I guarantee you they didn't have the comps to support it. Try to find other lots in Bryan or College Station that were voluntarily reduced in value by the CAD last year. You cant. They all went up! Sure makes you wonder.

Funny thing is, as a property owner but not a resident, we were not allowed to be involved in the plan until it was an actual proposal.

The end long term result? Owners (including owner occupants) own property that is worth less than before. Then when they're ready to sell they can't understand why they can't get for their property what the people across the street are getting.

Cyp0111
Wow...you sound like a real treat.
dubi
AG
Cyp0111 said:

Wow...you sound like a real treat.
Do you live in an old neighborhood without deed restrictions?

Code enforcement is the only answer to the problems.
Oogway
You don't say? That was one of the sections to which I was referring plus the little side streets off Welsh east of there that are littered with tear downs now. Some of the homes need tlc, but I love little houses from that era. I was born in a little house and have a place in my heart for their humble American tradition.

Depressing the values seems wrong-headed for the reason you stated. I suppose they were also envisioning a future of the Center and adjacent park ringed by Ag Shacks if they didn't do something, but I wonder if there could have been a better way to preserve that historic neighborhood than devaluing the property.

Oogway
W/respect to the original post, I don't know how big it is, but I don't think there are any restrictions as to how big it can be really. If it was a single family dwelling it could be any size, for example. Since most of these shacks are leased by the bedroom, isn't that how folks are avoiding the four unrelated ordinance? There are multiple 5+ br 'shacks' for rent by the room available now. I thought CS had an ordinance against boarding houses in residential neighborhoods and these larger units skirt that line, IMO. Whenever I go to the link for the actual ordinance on gameday and that type housing lately I haven't been able to get it to work so maybe it is being revised.

In one community I lived in, builders were going into neighborhoods, tearing down a home and slipping in 8 plexes (sideways on long large lots) and minimal parking in what was formerly the yard. Ugly as heck and got quite a few in before people organized enough to get some guidelines in place.
People comment sometimes about HOAs and how homeowners should buy in a HOA restricted subdivision if they want rules, but most of your oldest areas of a community were built way before suburbs and HOAs were common. When a person buys in an older residential neighborhood and a developer comes in, tears down a single family home and puts up a large *rental, he is moving in a business next door to you, not a home. That should come with some restrictions.

*Not referring to townhome or single family home rentals or even converted homes in this case, but the large rent by the room Ag Shacks that have individual lease agreements and are constructed with the intent to lease to a large group of unrelated people.
dubi
AG
6 full baths going into a rebuild at 206 Park Place.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.