Real Estate
Sponsored by

GTKY Real Estate Board Edition - Who does what?

6,828 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BrianDemarais
Fat Black Swan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Commercial appraisal

Did a lot of work on collapsed bank assets in the rural southeast while still wet behind the ears.

Can still remember every fully developed subdivision with fewer than ten lots sold, vacant branch bank, and conversation with local brokers who were struggling to put food on the table after every lender in their county went under. There was a lot of resentment about outside money coming in and disappointment in 50 new lots coming back on the market soon.

Have more recently been focused on special use properties, going concerns, and proposed mixed-use developments.

I've worked on spoolbases, professional sports facilities, downtown redevelopments, the highest elevation lots south of the Mason-Dixon, the largest apartment complex in the southern US, and seen every inch of vacant high-rise office buildings riddled with the homeless and satanic graffiti; but that all pales in comparison to riding around a small ranch for four hours with an 80-year old man who thought he was about to lose it all.
88jrt06
AG
I don't deserve a post here, but:

I've run an unrelated business hq'd in Houston for about 25 years. I'm a restless soul, as I've bought 8 and sold 7
homes -and lived in each one- in that 25 years (all but one ITL).

I really posted to say "thanks" to about a half-dozen guys on this board who share some pretty critical/useful info
for we zombies outside the biz. You guys have really opened my eyes; much appreciated!
alabamaaggie12
AG
I don't deserve a post, either, but this forum is one I frequently lurk on for future reference. We live in Alabama but have a senior at A&M living in a Waterwood townhome (really condo) that we will be looking to unload next spring. Hopefully!

Then I want to buy a lake lot and eventually build our future retirement home on Lewis Smith Lake that's an hour from us. First my Aggie hubby needs to quit playing in the defense industry, but we will enjoy it on weekends until we can be full-time lake people.

This forum touches on so many subjects that are helpful, so thank you to all who share their knowledge!
Deats99
AG
I am a lender. I run an office of Loan Simple out of Dallas. My specialty is investment property and construction. I dislike being a manager and fortunately work for an organization where I still get to loan money.

I think my calling card would include that I shoot straight from the hip. If there is a deal we will find a way to do it, if there is not, I will not waste anyone's time.

Jeff Deats '99
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
dannyag07
AG
Realtor and Real Estate Inspector.

Been a Realtor since February 2008. Inspector since 2012(?).

I don't post a whole lot either, but am frequently lurking.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Good idea, Bitter Old Man.

Aggie Finance grad, class of '00.

I'm a residential real estate investor, mortgage broker, and the founder of AgsReward/Hurst Lending, proud to have been the sponsor of the board for about 10 years now. Very grateful for all the support we've received from the Ags here, as most of our business is repeat or by referral.

I live in Dallas but I do mortgage loans all over Texas, as well as Colorado, Florida and Georgia, Louisiana with more states to come later this year.

We offer mortgages for a lot of specialized situations (going through a divorce, self-employed buyers, bridge loans, low down-payment construction loans, etc) and of course we do conventional loans too. We actually lend of our own money for the specialty loans and keep them on our portfolio (particularly high quality bridge loans), and recently started an investment fund (for accredited investors) so we can do more of these.

We added an insurance brokerage in 2013, so now we also offer home, auto, and life insurance from several major providers.

Really appreciate all the ideas/knowledge shared on the board.

bayouaggie
AG
Class of 2002 here and a lifelong engineer for Big Oil.

My RE interests started about 5 years ago when my brother in law (who does flips and new home builds) approached me about private investing on his projects, aka hard money loans. 5 years later and I'm funding most of his projects. I have no interest in SFH rentals, but would be open to partnering up on large commercial rentals or apartment complexes in the future. This is something my BIL is also interested in, so hope to make this a reality in the next 5 years.

My normal job and family obligations keep me more than busy so just looking for passive investment opportunities more than anything.
dcAg
Practiced residential architecture for 5 years. Got an MBA.

Worked in real estate consulting for Big 6/Big 4 firms for 7 years doing valuations, strategy, due diligence, consultin etc for large corporations and real estate companies.

Managed the corporate real estate at Chase Bank for the greater Houston area.

Was one of the founders of the real estate consulting practice for a company called Alvarez & Marsal (turnaround management). While there I ran the HealthSouth real estate department responsible for over 20,000,000 square feet and a $250 million spend.

Was in charge of repairing the public schools in New Orleans after Katrina and Rita.

Started the real estate consulting practice for Duff & Phelps.

Have been involved in commercial real estate development for the last 8 years.
Diggity
AG
are you still working in Houston?
88jrt06
AG
dcAg said:

Practiced residential architecture for 5 years. Got an MBA.

Worked in real estate consulting for Big 6/Big 4 firms for 7 years doing valuations, strategy, due diligence, consultin etc for large corporations and real estate companies.

Managed the corporate real estate at Chase Bank for the greater Houston area.

Was one of the founders of the real estate consulting practice for a company called Alvarez & Marsal (turnaround management). While there I ran the HealthSouth real estate department responsible for over 20,000,000 square feet and a $250 million spend.

Was in charge of repairing the public schools in New Orleans after Katrina and Rita.

Started the real estate consulting practice for Duff & Phelps.

Have been involved in commercial real estate development for the last 8 years.

Think we've met in re: Chase some years ago.
Congrats on your career, particularly with our NOLA friends.
Now, to quote Graham Nash: "Take the money and run."
(j/k)
Copp
Class of 2011

Started investing in real estate a couple years out of college. Stick mostly to SFH. Have accumulated around 25 rentals and 15 or so seller finance notes. All in DFW. Flip as well when the numbers do not work out for the other two exit strategies.

Deals are getting harder and harder to find. Purchased more houses the past few years than have this year, but still able to find good deals every now and again.
JamesBREI06
AG
Very impressive!
Whoop!
dcAg
I live in Dallas. We might have met at Chase years ago!
Bitter Old Man
AG
Thanks, Staff.
gvine07
AG
Longtime RE Board lurker. Class of '07 and grad school '09. I was in Economic Development for the state and currently teach Math.

I live in Carrollton and hope to start investing in 3/2/2 SFR in north DFW soon. I'm all-talk though...
Shooter McGavin
AG
I don't post much on here, but I lurk a lot. Aggie Appraiser usually fires off some good answers so no need for me to chime in.

Residential appraiser in DFW. Decent size firm for over 25 years.

Really cranky most of the time and have little patience, hence my lack of posting.

I'm a broker as well, so I dabble in real estate which really helps to solidify my knowledge of the market. I've dabbled pretty hard this year and have done more business than most full time agents. I'm tired though, and will ratchet down my dabbling until after Aggie football is over.
aggie appraiser
Shooter McGavin said:

I don't post much on here, but I lurk a lot. Aggie Appraiser usually fires off some good answers so no need for me to chime in.

Really cranky most of the time and have little patience, hence my lack of posting.

I'm a broker as well, so I dabble in real estate which really helps to solidify my knowledge of the market. I've dabbled pretty hard this year and have done more business than most full time agents. I'm tired though, and will ratchet down my dabbling until after Aggie football is over.

Thanks, I appreciate the pat on the back. Coming from you, that means something. I worked for a friend of yours for many years and he always spoke very highly of you.

I'd like to pick your brain about running the office and building up a business. If you have time for lunch sometime, I'd be glad to buy for a little wisdom and insight.
Shooter McGavin
AG
aggie appraiser said:

Shooter McGavin said:

Thanks, I appreciate the pat on the back. Coming from you, that means something. I worked for a friend of yours for many years and he always spoke very highly of you.

I'd like to pick your brain about running the office and building up a business. If you have time for lunch sometime, I'd be glad to buy for a little wisdom and insight.

I'd be happy to do it, I'll be picking your brain too. We can all benefit from each other. Strengths and weaknesses ....
HC
I'm an engineer by day and got into flips and rentals the last two years. I first got involved as an investor for a friend and kept moving on from there.

The first couple of months, I wrote software to read County tax appraisal sites and store the info in a database. I used that info to build a mail out database, but then realized he had that information readily available through the MLS.

The last year I jumped in head first and bought two flips and 11 very crappy rent houses. It was a little overwhelming, but I want to continue this as a means to speed up retirement.

I also mostly lurk here, but like to see what everyone is up to and use this forum for motivation
mwp02ag
AG
I have been in construction my entire life. I was a commercial electrician before and during my time at A&M, built ~250 homes as a Project Manager for Perry Homes in New Braunfels, managed $20mm annual construction budgets in the waste industry and finally back to the home building industry to help a starter type home builder get a $400k and up product out of the ground. My most recent build was a semi-custom model home in San Antonio that ended up with a final price tag of just below $700k.

Then I met (listened to on a 4 cd set) Jim Rohn and his words changed my life. 3 years after those fateful words found my ear and I have started a successful CrossFit gym in downtown SA, became self employed as a Real Estate Inspector and founded my second business as a Real Estate Investor.

My goal is to be the best Real Estate Inspector in San Antonio. I love inspecting homes and I know that I have a unique skill set based on my nearly 25 years of experience in the construction and home building industry. I am able to use that skill set to bring true value to each client I inspect for and I truly feel blessed each and every day. I love to get all three phases of construction inspections (pre-pour, pre-drywall and final) for clients purchasing a new build. I am helping people every inspection and I love it.

That said, inspections are still trading my time for money and that is not the long term goal. My wife and I set a goal 2.5 years ago to build to $20k/ month in passive income through the gym and related business lines and real estate investment in buy and hold properties. We just closed on the refi from hard money on our first big deal, a triplex about 4 blocks west of the Pearl Brewery complex. The good Lord was watching my ass on that deal and I'm grateful for that because my inexperience in 100 year old home renovations nearly turned a fantastic deal into a huge loss for me. Appreciation and my ability to control my income saved us and allowed us to get the home finished and refinanced. Lots of lessons learned and I am hooked. I know my path to everything I've dreamed of my entire life is through real estate and I am grateful for the opportunities.

83AgCiti
AG
Class of '83- Finance

I've been a CRE Lender for almost 30 years. Spent 22 years with Citibank and Citi predecessor institutions in Dallas, then 6 years with a regional bank in Dallas. Predominantly originating B&C class apartment loans for the portfolio, but have also originated loans on virtually all product types of investment property throughout Texas - was the Citi market head for the Houston market for 18 years .

Recently moved from Dallas to Houston with Hunt Mortgage Group, a private, direct lender with FNMA and Freddie licenses originating conventional and small balance apartment deals, bridge loans and some commercial fixed and bridge loans. Long time TexAgs lurker - but just recently found this forum.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Thanks for posting. I'm sending you a PM on something...
plowboy1065
S
Houston Area Realtor

Farmed and had an agricultural precision earth moving business (tractor/scraper type work) for 20 years. Married a DVM C/O 06 and was fortunate enough to have someone come in about the same time and offer to buy me out. Moved to Houston area and joined my wife's vet school roommate's husband as his Buyers Agent. Long term goal is continue to build our team and leverage myself out to focus more on farm/ranch properties. Have been fortunate enough to represent several posters and lurkers here in their real estate transactions.
Oneof12
AG
Great forum and thread.

Years as a Landman made for a smooth transition into Farm and Ranch Real Estate in 2016. Thanks in large part to the Aggie network I was fortunate enough to make a quick jump from a 2 man shop to one of the premier Texas Brokerage Firms. Great folks in a great industry.

I am grateful for the information and insight in this forum.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
Commercial RE Appraiser. I specialize in multifamily, student housing and port properties. I work for an outfit in Houston, but work out of my house in Brenham.
SteveBott
AG
Wow I cannot believe I never posted on this thread. Class of 82 and been mortgage for over 15 years. I have do loans all over Texas and mostly Aggies. Like I tell my clients lets get this mortgage stuff talked about and get to the real important business, talking Aggie sports.

hbox
AG
Class '97. I don't post a lot, but I check the board. I'm a commercial mortgage broker based in Austin, probably 75% multifamily with the rest spread out over various asset classes. Mainly TX. FNMA, Freddie, banks, bridge loans, credit unions, etc. Our firm did ~$700MM in originations last year.

Also, I am an owner of a private equity firm along with my business partner. We've done 9 funds, working on our 10th. Our syndications are with accredited investors, and we buy multifamily, self storage, mobile home parks and are working on a SFR portfolio fund. Basically, if there is a strong value add component and we can get cash flow, we'll look at it.
BrianDemarais
AG
Class of 2013! Residential Home & Auto Insurance Broker. Based in Dallas but write business all over Texas
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.