Real Estate
Sponsored by

GTKY Real Estate Board Edition - Who does what?

6,782 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BrianDemarais
Bitter Old Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Given a couple of recent experiences here, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to look up regular RE Board users and get to know their background.

So, if you consider yourself a regular here, post a short BIO here about your background. Keep it short, this isn't to market yourself or advertise for your business.

If there is enough response, maybe STAFF can sticky this at the top.

[ To be clear: no marketing of yourself, services, or company. This is about identifying yourself for the community's benefit. -- Moderator ]
Bitter Old Man
AG
I'll start:

Current Location: Austin

Current Job(s): Lender focusing on Farm/Ranch Property, Personal Real Estate Investments - Commercial and Residential; Active Agent's license but not a Realtor

Background:
- Started Career underwriting/producing asset repositioning loans for Institutional Grade CRE (Office, Retail, Multifamily, Condo Conversions) in sunbelt markets

- Moved on to Acquisitions and Brokerage of CRE (Multifamily and Office/Industrial)

- #2 Exec. Officer of a small community bank (CFO/CLO role) sold bank and stayed on in commercial lending role for several years before moving to current job
SoTheySay
S
I'm an agent in BCS.

Started from the bottom now I'm here.

But seriously - my interest for real estate goes back to 6th grade. I started as a part time receptionist then full time (same RE office) then had the opportunity to work as an office manager for a top producing agent at a different company. I learned a ton and thought I wanted something else. Took a short hiatus and came back as a buyers agent with same company and have been on my own with said company since then.

I have a referral based business so I don't do a ton of advertising - just great relationships. I'm a bit in love with my career choice.
CS78
Live in BCS. Work for the university.

Second job is single family, long term rental holds. Also do some flips when I get a property I decide not to keep as a rental.
hopeandrealchange
I live in Brazos county. Owned and operated a small business in Bryan for 26 years. Sold it 11 years ago. Started buying 3-2-2 homes in the Southside historic area almost 20 years ago. I currently spend most of my time chasing all over the state visiting Grand children. How could life get any better?
histag10
AG
I do not live in Texas (yet )

I work for a law firm that does quite a bit of real estate work, so I am frequently dealing with contracts, deeds, and quiet titles. Super fun, let me tell you.

Other than that, just mostly interested in real estate and enjoy the knowledge on this board, and will be looking to sell my house soon, rent for a while, then buy in Texas.
Bill Robbins
AG
My wife and I came home to Aggieland after a 34-year roller coaster ride in the oil industry. I am now building my second career as a Realtor. We are active in our church (she's the pianist & I'm her page turner) and I help where I can with the CS Noon Lions Club.
JamesBREI06
AG
Aggie Finance '06 grad
Aggie Master'sor Real Estate '07 grad

Live in Houston

Was in the commercial mortgage banking world from 2008 - 2013.

Put together partnerships to buy multi family assets from 2011-2014

2014-current I've been focusing on being a financial partner on single family investments. Most recently launched a Hard Money Company.
Whoop!
Diggity
AG
been slinging real estate in the Houston inner loop since 2005.

If I had known I was going to market myself on TexAgs, I probably would have picked a better screen name than diggity, but I'm kind of attached to it now.
aggie appraiser
Certified Residential Appraiser in DFW. Almost 15 years in the business. Started my own firm last year.
Know1
AG
Love the idea Bitter Old Man

I'm a real estate broker in Houston...selling West Houston/burbs (living in Katy). Residential sales.

My wife got her license in 1999 and I got mine in 2001. Started our own office in 2013 (wish I had done it years before then!)

Our business is almost exclusively referral. Prior to real estate I was in entertainment (Mountasia, Malibu, Laser Quest). I've had some really interesting jobs, but my real estate career has been the most enjoyable. It's gotta be in your blood.
The Fife
I'm an engineer with a large aerospace group who just happens to enjoy real estate. Live in Charleston.

I pulled out of housing in 07, went all in 2010, and sold last year except for where we live and a 1919 bungalow that I still think has room to grow once the city turns the entire area below a nearby elevated freeway and abandoned rail line into a huge park. It was the usual game, buy a place in need of a little love in a transitional neighborhood, work on it on nights and weekends, then rent it out.

I've also been redesigning/rebuilding the house we live in by hand since 2013 and hope to finish later this year. We love all things modern and MCM and can put up a couple of before/after shots if anyone is interested.

These days I'm not expecting a crash, I pulled out because I believe the bulk of the insane YOY appreciation is done in the areas I sold in and wanted to use the cash to pursue other interests like a startup that I got involved with. If that ends up working out I'll be sure to find a fellow Ag when it's time to find a place back in Texas.
aggiemike89
AG
Real estate broker/owner in Northwest Houston/Cypress.

Started part-time in 1999

Went full-time in 2001

Bought office from previous owner in 2010. Love it. Wouldn't do anything else.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
I'm a newbie investor, but an old AG. We own our own business (not real estate related) and are looking for a way to eventually shut it down & leave the DFW area for greener pastures in East TX. We've bought 6 properties since late 2015. So far, so good. Still unproven if we are idiots or Einstein level brilliant.....

I've learned so much from this forum - everybody is very helpful. Of course, I would expect nothing less from my Aggie brethren.
Absolute
AG
Professional home inspector in Dallas and it suburbs. Been in Inspections for 14 years. Did about 10 years of contracting before that and a few using my ME degree from A&M before that.

Really like pushing the technology envelope on the inspection industry beyond the flashlight and a camera angle a lot of inspectors use. Have used infrared imaging for over 10 years and have lost count of the interesting, important and often major things I find with it. Added a drone to assist in roof inspections last month.
aggiebq03+
I'm a Certified Lurker of the RE Board
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm a lurker with an occasional post here and there

2014 grad; out of school I really wanted to get into ag lending but I couldn't find anyone to hire me. Looked out of state and found work as a processor for a large home builder. I did that for about 10 months and currently work in a loan officer role for aforementioned homebuilder.
jagvocate
AG
In-house attorney for a large oil company. Grew up with parents renting out 2/1s and 3/2s. Army veteran. Setting up a series LLC this month with my wife, and looking forward to starting small and putting our own money to work.
mazag08
AG
Worked in the apartment industry in Aggieland after college. Then became a Realtor selling residential single family and investment properties. Then moved to Houston and did commercial appraisal. Now I'm with a large retailer doing development in another state. It's been an interesting journey through the different real estate fields.
jmazz
AG
Aggie c/o 2005.

Started real estate career in 2006 with NetWorth Realty of Houston (formerly RealNet USA). We were a wholesale brokerage and hard money lender. They're still around but I got tired of Houston and wanted a change.

Moved to Aggieland in 2011 and bounced around doing my own thing mostly.

Now a bit settled in and am the Broker/co-owner of 12 Realty - a mostly residential brokerage specializing in flat fee listings for sellers.

I also co-own and operate a HomeVestors franchise (We Buy Ugly Houses). Do a little bit of everything through our franchise. 'Flips,' buy and hold, wholesale and small development projects (tear down, build new type stuff).

Lastly, I do private lending (hard money, transactional funding) for other real estate investors through Texas Investor Financing.

And for anyone in B/CS and the surrounding areas, my partner and I organize/host the Brazos Real Estate Investor Club (BRIC). Google it. Join (it's cheap). Network.
JB
AG
Construction super for a multi family builder with offices in Houston and Plano. Been with them since 07, took a few years off in between and started a small contracting remodel business in San Antonio. Back with company now building apartments outside Austin

Own two rentals, both were homes I lived in first. A 3/2 on an acre in Bryan and a 4/2 in SA. Both have been good rental. Learned a lot from this board. Would love to keep buying up rentals
beerag04
AG
Real Estate Attorney in Houston

Represented banks doing residential and commercial real estate financing for a few years. Now I am in-house for an energy company doing land acquisition and financing. Still do some basic drafting and business formation work on the side when work is not too crazy.

Before and during law school, I spent 10 years as a residential and commercial construction project manager. Also own a couple of single family rentals.

I've seen the industry from many different sides and have enjoyed every role.
evestor1
Houston based

Senior manager at a real job...not many reports though (thank god)

Been in rentals once 2008. Really got moving in 2012 and now own a half dozen SFH/duplexes. I know how to build so cheap land acquisition is my game. Have only bought off MLS twice.

I hope to get 10 duplexes and zero SFH within 5-7 years. Then I will settle into either sales only role at work or just flip houses and use my real estate license which I am not allowed to use now.

My wife is a realtor as well. She'll be a broker by the time our kids are full time school.

We have a passion for rentals. It is gratifying for me to help someone needing a rental. It is even more gratifying to help them buy a house after living under my roof for a few years. Never sell anything with large commissions to our previous renters, but it feels great to help them.

We rarely charge late fees and do everything we can to eliminate stress on my people. My wife and I feel like we are helping people!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
nm
JamesBREI06
AG
Whoop!
JamesBREI06
AG
Hey man I wanted to Pm you, but you don't have stars. I'd be interested in taking you to lunch and talking shop sometime. Maybe we could work together on something in the future but at a minimum I think we could be beneficial for each other networking. Shoot me an email sometime.

James@covestmentcapital.com
Whoop!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'll be making fewer trips to the island this Fall, but I'm all for it whenever our schedules line up.
213 Grove
AG
Houston Commercial Real Estate - industrial and land brokerage.

Been doing commercial brokerage since the day I graduated !
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I have always considered getting into the real estate business in some form or fashion but for now I just lurk on this site to keep up with what's going on.
dmweaver-realtor
AG
I'm in DFW.

I'm a realtor working for Dave Perry Miller (a division of Ebby) in the Highland Park office. I work anywhere in Dallas or Rockwall, specializing anywhere inside the loop.

I graduated in '92 with a degree in Architecture. I worked for large a large firm in Houston for 10 years and then started my own consulting firm specializing in residential renovations and landscape design. Realty was always a love and after helping many design clients find and build the perfect home I decided to transition to full time realty. I think this background gives my clients a unique service since I can recognize both potential in a home as well as construction flaws.

My oldest daughter is FTA Class of 2020, my husband ('92) and I are season ticket holders and make every game we can. We are co-presidents of the Dallas Champions Council (12th man foundation).
HTownAg98
I'm A&M class of 1998 with a degree in agricultural economics. I've been an appraiser for 19 years and I specialize in eminent domain and litigation support.
dubi
AG
Class of 1986 with a degree in BANA (think MIS) and working at A&M whilst dreaming of retirement. Hubby works at St Joe's.

We have gutted and renovated several houses and i think we might just do one more after we are both retired.

Renovating means I buy stuff and Mr Dubi does all the work.

/edit: We do own a rental but it was accidental and we've just not bothered to sell it. Currently I have a 3 year lease with a Dr doing his residency at St. Joe.
oldarmy76
I'm in the land development game on the engineering side in austin. Probably put 3000-4000 single family lots on the ground since 2007.
I have 3 single family rentals in bcs and one in Georgetown. My buying has slowed down dramatically as returns have declined since I first started buying. My goal is to work my way to 10 but don't have time to find the deals right now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.