Real Estate
Sponsored by

Street facing garage doors

3,431 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JBLHAG03
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How common is it for a community or city to require that a 2-car garage facing the street must use 2 single doors, and only allow a double door for swing or rear entry drives?

My wife and I ran into this issue recently in Allen. It is a problem because the only plans and lots we prevent the double door, and my truck will not fit in the garage unless I fold in my rearview mirrors. Even then, it's a closer gap than I want to navigate daily.

We're considering building then replacing the center column and doors with a single 2car door, but if the HOA prevents it we'd be SOL. I have nothing against fighting HOAs, but that's a fight that I'm confident would end very poorly for me.
gig em 02
I imagine that is very uncommon, what a strange requirement

Is the builder also in charge of the HOA and they make more money off the 2 single doors?
Garrelli 5000
AG
The builder is not in charge of the HOA to my knowledge. The requirement is a covenant built into a master planned community (Montgomery Farms at Bethany/Alama in Allen).
Jack Klompus
AG
My neighborhood has this requirement. We have a new section going in and the HOA required the new section to have 2 single garage doors as opposed to 1 big one.
sts7049
AG
what a ridiculous rule
Buck O Five
AG
The master planned communities on the West side of Houston typically have a covenant that you can only have 2-3 homes in a row with a single large garage door. The other homes must have two smaller doors with a brick/stone column in between. It is supposed to prevent the cookie cutter look and provide more visual interest. Most residents have a truck and/or SUV and dislike the rule.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I would consider building somewhere else.
JP76
If you are building, why not just go with 2 10 ' singles instead of 8' ?
fourth deck
AG
Side-entry garages FTMFW. It keeps homes from being too close to each other, the visually unappealing garage door off the front elevation, and the neighborhood from looking like a parking lot.
Garrelli 5000
AG
That seems to be the case.

I hadn't considered two 10 foot doors. Not sure its an option since it was presented when we've worked w/the sales person.

I wouldn't mind side entry, but we're probably looking at downsizing our home if we move. When we built thinking we planned on staying in this home until we retired, kids were still on the table. That ship sailed (by choice) and now we have a home meant for a family for just two people.

I'm not sold on moving anyway. I like the idea of a new house a little closer to work, but I love my current home too. I told my wife "figure out what you like in those homes and we'll make it happen here", and it'll be a hell of a lot less.
Seven Costanza
AG
What is the purpose of this requirement?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Seven Costanza said:

HOLY CRAP MAN!!!! YOU QUESTIONING THE HOA WHOSE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY VALUES????
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pure speculation on my part - 2 doors is more architecturally appealing than 1 with the additional framing and whatnot.

I don't think they look bad, but I'd be purchasing rearview mirrors for my wife in bulk.
aezmvp
Adam Ag 98 said:

Pure speculation on my part - 2 doors is more architecturally appealing than 1 with the additional framing and whatnot.

I don't think they look bad, but I'd be purchasing rearview mirrors for my wife in bulk.

Exactly right. I might ask for a variance just to see if they'd do it. They should but whatever.
AgToadie
While you're checking on wider single doors, you can also check on going taller. They can usually do an 8' tall door which will give extra clearance for 3/4 ton trucks.
62strat
AG
I cringe whenever I see a 3 car garage with 3 single doors.

Double and single ftw.
barney94
AG
My parents live in that development.

The houses all look the same anyway. I can't tell them apart, especially at night. They all have single garage doors, fancy wooden-clad barn style ones.

That arrangement has contributed a dent or 2 to my mom's car.

Garrelli 5000
AG
They actually got approval from the ARC for us to build a double door, or if we bought an existing spec home to remove the column and modify to a double.

We ended up passing. At the end of the day our 1st reason to consider moving was to get closer to work, and that only shaved 8 minutes off of our 30 minute commute.

Are you parents happy w/the builder?
barney94
AG
Yeah, as far as I know. They've been there awhile and have no plans to leave.
NoahAg
Seven Costanza said:

It looks nicer, especially when the garage door is more or less flush with the front face of the home. It's better if the garage is set back or the garage door is recessed underneath the roof. Breaking up the door with a brick/stone column just looks better. Adding hardware - faux handles and hinges - also makes it look better.

Rows of homes where you just see one large garage door after another isn't the most aesthetically appealing (like my hood).
JBLHAG03
AG
I hate the two single also because you can't pull into middle of garage to work on car. Had one house that way and never again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.