Real Estate
Sponsored by

Here's one to stew on: family land/inheritance

127,236 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by tamuangry
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long story short. My parents have a mid sized ranch and are not at the age yet to consider making any big changes. Beautiful piece of property, in a not so desirable area but definitely not a bad area. My sister/her family have decided that they want some of theirs now (not half) - she wants to build on the best part and retire there. They might even pay for it - not sure. At first my parents were like "No way" (to me anyway) for a variety of reasons - main one being if they ever need to sell it for medical costs, etc., they don't want to split it up because it would greatly reduce the value of the rest of the land for the future. Fast forward a couple of months & I got a call from Sis this past weekend that parents told her it's the best idea ever BUT you have to talk to your brother.

So someone is lying and I am being put in the middle. If its what the parents want, I wouldn't stand in their way, even though it will make things unfair for me in the future & will possibly make things worse for them in the long run, but they had a long list of cons when they initially told us that Sis wanted to move out there & no pros - not one. Again, if that's what they want, OK, I can suck up the loss. When I called to ask about the change of heart they said it wasn't a done deal but didn't go into the details. Which tells me it's a done deal unless I make a stink.

Say it goes thru. Say they even pay them for the acreage they want now (reduced rate, I'm sure), say the rest goes to both of us at the end. I foresee problems because I will want to sell my part & I don't see them having the money to buy. Or worse, because they will be half owners, they will block every sale because they are living on part of the property. I know they want it all. Bro-in-law has made several comments about them having it eventually. I remind him every time that half of it is mine.

I guess I'm just venting, but I figure either way I'm gonna be the bad guy - it's either now or later.

Bassmaster
AG
It's pretty crappy for your parents to put you in that position if you ask me. They are making her ask you because they know you'll have a problem with it. They likely see the same issues that you see, but don't care about them enough to say no to your sister. Good luck.
HTownAg98
There are ways to do this without you getting screwed (trusts, life estates, right of first refusal, etc.), but you need to talk to someone who knows about estate planning.
The Collective
AG
As someone who has family land, you need to define how everything is going to work today on the front-end in writing. Don't assume that your relationship today will dictate that each party will act fairly in the future. Their property needs to be separable in a way where they can sell it or the other piece can be sold without a huge impact to any of the involved parties.
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
Don't assume that your relationship today will dictate that each party will act fairly in the future.

Oh, I already know how my sister's husband will act. He wants it all. He's an only child and I swear he doesn't really like to acknowledge that I exist most of the time. He refers to my parents as "her parents". Weird. So it's gonna be ugly thru no fault of my own - I just want it to be fair.
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
Their property needs to be separable in a way where they can sell it or the other piece can be sold without a huge impact to any of the involved parties.

There are problems with the division already. They have a rail crossing that the RR doesn't give anymore & even if they did, theirs would have to be too close. So, that means a shared driveway. Also, one of the nicer ponds is on that part, plus they want to build too close to some outbuildings/barns that would cause a problem, etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line is they will eventually want the whole thing. And at a brother-in-law rate. wink wink.
aggiebq03+
I would insist my parents do nothing about the land now, and that sister needs to go buy her own land if they want some. It really sucks your parents are leaving you to be the bad guy instead of being the adults in the situation and saying no. Hope it works out for you, but doubt it will.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
I would insist my parents do nothing about the land now, and that sister needs to go buy her own land if they want some.

This is exactly the discussion I had with the parents months ago when they first brought it up. My Dad was dead set against it & said they needed to find their own. Later if the farm comes to us, they could sell theirs to buy me out & have the whole thing. Seemed like a good plan - she might not have liked it right now, but it could work out like she wanted later. I'm guessing the b-i-l is pressuring Sis and she's pressuring the parents. I told them I wasn't going to be put in the middle when this first came up. I am 2 seconds away from a family meeting where I demand to know who is lying & outing my parents on the list of reasons they didn't want them out there, but I don't want to hurt my sister, so I wont. I really want my parents to hang on to it because they might need the money for elder care - you never know. Heck, neither of us may end up with anything & I am more than fine with that - I just want them to be covered & comfortable as they get older.
surveyor05
AG
Since they seem to have to do this now, I would have the property appraised. Split the value between you and your sister. Survey and put on two separate deeds. Then I would owner finance them your side once the time comes, collect a real nice dividend. Could put a higher interest rate on it and a balloon payment after 5 years so they are encouraged to refinance. If/when your parents need to sell for emergency purposes, they could because its deeded separately.

Just a thought, I'm not a lawyer.
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
If/when your parents need to sell for emergency purposes, they could because its deeded separately.

That would only work assuming they barred her from building now. Otherwise, they could only sell my part if Sis has built on her half. Again, I'm fine getting nothing from the farm if we both get nothing.
Bassmaster
AG
You sound like you are dead set against this (justifiably). I would let that be known in no uncertain terms. If you give in just to avoid being the bad guy, you will regret it while your brother in law is sitting there enjoying your parents land.
CS78
Any chance of splitting off a "home site" of one or two acres so she could build now and the remainder stay with your parents? I would also want it on paper that the value of the home site at your parents passing be deducted from your sisters half.

I would also demand that if there is any chance of making it work, it all needs to be drawn up by a lawyer and signed off on by all. Let them know you are willing to work with them to make it happen but you want to avoid future conflicts.

No matter what you do, do not end up as partial owner of an undivided interest.

schwack schwack
AG
These are all great suggestions. Please keep 'em coming because I think my judgment is clouded on this one. I'm trying hard to think this thru without flying off the handle & saying things I'll regret.

The 1-2 acre thing might work, CS78, keeping the 1-2 acres of the parents house for me & the rest is split. It does pretty much tie me to them being the only people to sell to with the shared drive, etc. Also, the way the property is, the 2 homesteads would be on the front of the property blocking access to the remainder of the land. It's a giant rectangle with the short side being the front. So, I guess if it is in 2 deeds or something we could sell ours to someone else but realistically, I don't think anyone would go for the shared drive & the 2 homesteads that close to each other. What they are proposing would really only work with family in the 2 houses.

Bassmaster - you are right, it would gall me to no end to have this turn out unfairly. That's all I want with my first concern being the financial security of my parents above & beyond the wants of my sister & I. Really, I see it as bad guy now or bad guy later since my parents seem unwilling at this point to say what they really think.

The Collective
AG
Here is one thing I would emphasize as the one willing to act like an adult in this situation. It is your parent's property. It isn't half yours or half hers. To stop and even think of it in those terms today is unfair to your parents. I would say no to this, because it sounds like the deal is already turning sour, and she hasn't even become financially intertwined in the property yet. This is just step 1 of you getting screwed in the end when things really are half yours / half hers. You will hear all kinds of crap like, "where were you when it came time to take care of mom and dad"? The BIL will recall all of the work that he put into the property. Even worse, what happens if the Sister / BIL have a falling out... that's now your problem and your parents. Do they have a contingency?

You need a family meeting, and it needs to be original family only. Spouses are certainly part of the decision-making process within their family unit (offer x is available, should we do it honey?), but that does not include getting to take part in your immediate family's decision-making process. That's her job.
schwack schwack
AG
Good points, all, obie-wan-cjs4715-kenobi. This forum is helping me today more than any of you can know. I've been thinking about it all week. I don't understand why they are pushing right now & no one seems willing to answer that. I asked when Sis called & got nothing. I asked my parents & got no answer, too. Actually, I was only able to talk to my Mom & I guess she felt blindsided because she passed everything off like it was the first she'd heard of it, but I know it wasn't. She said she'd talk to Dad & get to the bottom of it and I've expected a call all week, but haven't gotten one. Mom said they only wanted 2 acres (so she DID know something was up), but Sis told me it's more like "just 50 or so". So, it's a real mess & one I never expected because I thought it was always sort of agreed that if we got it, we'd get it appraised & they could buy my half. Done. Simple.
The Collective
AG
Sis needs 50 acres to have enough equity to build their house... I can almost guarantee it. Tell me I am wrong.
schwack schwack
AG
Ugh. Never crossed my mind, but you're probably right.
SteveBott
AG
OP not much to add but it is common to carve out a few acres in a large property for homestead. I have done it several times, about once a year. It can be deeded and of course it would need an easement. But that is just title work. It will be also easier for them to get financing and thats what I would hang my hat on. any land over 25 acres or so is subject to be declined by the lender for a conforming loan and that leaves you farm loan which is not near as good as conforming.

I have done my share of divorce/estate lending and frankly there is a much better chance of going badly then not. Almost all the estates I have done have turned nasty. Something about that one shot a bunch of money brings the worst out of people. Sad really.
unmade bed
quote:
quote:
I would insist my parents do nothing about the land now, and that sister needs to go buy her own land if they want some.

This is exactly the discussion I had with the parents months ago when they first brought it up. My Dad was dead set against it & said they needed to find their own. Later if the farm comes to us, they could sell theirs to buy me out & have the whole thing. Seemed like a good plan - she might not have liked it right now, but it could work out like she wanted later. I'm guessing the b-i-l is pressuring Sis and she's pressuring the parents. I told them I wasn't going to be put in the middle when this first came up. I am 2 seconds away from a family meeting where I demand to know who is lying & outing my parents on the list of reasons they didn't want them out there, but I don't want to hurt my sister, so I wont. I really want my parents to hang on to it because they might need the money for elder care - you never know. Heck, neither of us may end up with anything & I am more than fine with that - I just want them to be covered & comfortable as they get older.

I'm a little confused with your terminology when you are talking your half and your sister's half. Was the property left to your parents in trust with you and your sister as beneficiaries of half each? Or is it all your parents' land and you are just considering half of it yours because your parents have 2 children, so you think it should be 1/2 and 1/2?

If it's the latter, I would caution against calling family meetings and accusing your parents of lying, because they have no obligation to leave you anything and if things get ugly, you may find yourself with nothing from your parents.

Tough situation and adult children tend not to share land well. Best thing for your parents to do would be sell it all to a 3rd party and try to spend every penny before they die, and what money they can't spend, you and your sister get to divide. It's much easier to divide money than land. I realize that may not be the most practical advice and probably not what they want to do at all, but from my experience, that would make for a much happier life for them, and for you and your sister. A land dispute with a sibling or siblings can literally ruin a family. Seen it happen too often to count.

I have a similar situation with my inlaws though. My wife has a sister and their parents own land where they live. Not much, about 120 acres. It's in Texas hill country and my wife wants to move there when I retire. She figures she will need to take care of her parents at some point.

What we are about to do probably this summer (and this was not my suggestion nor do I think it's the greatest idea, just passing along how we are handling it) is we are going to buy 10 acres from them where we will eventually build an 2nd home which will also be our retirement home.

We are doing 10 acres so we can keep the Ag exemption for property taxes. Luckily for us, the land is situated so that there is about 20 acres that can be easily subdivided from the rest of the property. That is where our 10 acres will come out of and the same deal will be offered to the sister at same price etc, for ~10 acres out of the 20. She probably wont buy it because she is kind of a deadbeat, but at least she would have had the chance.

My inlaws will probably owner finance the property, though I would prefer to get 3rd party financing and pay them off, and we will definitely have to do that when we build.

I am sure what will end up happening is we buy the 10 acres from inlaws and sister doesn't, but she will end up getting gifted the other 10 acres or it will be left to her in inlaws Will. Kind of unfair to us, but not really, I consider ourselves lucky just to have the opportunity to have the land, didn't really do anything to deserve it.
schwack schwack
AG
quote:
I'm a little confused with your terminology when you are talking your half and your sister's half.

Our parents own the land, their will has us splitting anything left in the estate 50-50. So, yes, I could be written out if they chose to do so. I am trying to work out my issues (with everyone's help) prior to it getting to that point. All I want is for things to be split evenly. Honestly, I have always thought that my parents will need the money from the sale of the property eventually and it's what worries me the most with splitting it up before we know what they'll need. They do not have much put away relative to how long they could live based on our super genes & should they need care that cannot happen in a home situation they will be forced to sell. They know that. I know that. My sister knows that. It's always been the back-up plan.

Sounds like you've got it worked out pretty well. I think our main problem (other than the fact that no one is being honest about what is being discussed) is that its not an easily divided property.
att hello
I am not versed in complex land deals, but I will throw out my suggestions:

Lets say your parents have 100 acres. Why can't you get 25, your sister 25 and leave the other 50 with your parents? When you two inherit the other portion, you can re-divide the land up. If you parents need to sell their portion, you are still left with the same amount as her.

If you don't currently want any land, make your sister pay you 50% of the current value over the next 30 years. If you inherit the rest later, you can deduct that from their buyout.

unmade bed
quote:
quote:
I'm a little confused with your terminology when you are talking your half and your sister's half.

Our parents own the land, their will has us splitting anything left in the estate 50-50. So, yes, I could be written out if they chose to do so. I am trying to work out my issues (with everyone's help) prior to it getting to that point

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not suggesting you are in the wrong or that you don't have very valid points, and you are being put in a bad situation. I just wanted to caution you that often times what elderly parents want more than anything is "peace" at least while they are around. Unfortunately that's not the best long term strategy as there are issues that need to be addressed and they may make everyone uncomfortable, but it will save a nuclear meltdown later on.

I have seen it go bad for the guy trying to do the "right" thing though, and parents side with one child over the other in the interest of keeping the peace. Really unfortunate for you and it sucks that brother in law seems to be so involved. He should be totally out of it.
84AGEC
AG
Your sister wants to live on the land

You want to sell your half.
Get it appraised , have to anyway and let her buy you out.

I would side with sis.

The Collective
AG
One thing to consider in your approach... it's possible your parents will place more value in their daughter wanting to live on the property they worked hard to leave to both of you than the kid who wants to sell it. Tread carefully.
schwack schwack
AG
84AGEC - yes - that is the way it was always going to work out. My parents stay on it as long as they want to - I hope they never have to leave it - and if it comes to us, it's appraised & I sell my half. Great for everyone. Always the plan - always knew they were going to get it. No issues until now with them wanting to proceed while my parents are still there, healthy & (if what they told me is true) not wanting to split the property or have Sis build right next door now.

I am 99% sure that my parents will need to sell this property in the future to finance care if they need it. Who knows. I know they are happy that Sis will end up there. I am, too, if that's what she wants & we'd always agreed on how it would happen. It just seems rash & pushy the way its going down.

schwack schwack
AG
I understand that her position seems to hold more weight. However, it has never been an option for me to move there due to my family & work. There were never any hard feelings about that & I can't imagine there would be now. It's just mind boggling that suddenly the "master plan" that has always been in place needs to change right now.

Oh and I never mentioned they want the mineral rights for their portion - because, "well, you know it would just be easier for it to be separate...". Yes, there are some wells on the next plot of land owned by my Dad & his Sister. Dad has always refused to let anyone drill on the homestead although there are some pipeline easements, etc. thru there.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
My parents call it "the farm". I'd consider it more ranch size. They work it with livestock & a large portion has been planted with pines.

I have never looked into what it's worth because it is not mine. That is their business, or has been until now, and I never figured it was necessary to get into their affairs.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
Close to 250.
Post removed:
by user
HTownAg98
The other good thing, especially in a situation like this, is getting an unbiased third party involved takes the emotion out of the decision. A professional in estate planning will be able to see through anyone's anterior motives and ensure that everyone is treated fairly according to your parents' wishes. It will cost some money, but it will save everyone a lot of grief and angst when the time comes to split up the assets.
Best of luck to you that your situation is resolved amicably.
barbwire
We had a situation with family land, building a home, access to the property, family dynamics, etc. Talked to a real estate attorney in College Station who gave us different scenarios of things that could happen (things we hadn't even thought of) and options. Best money we have ever spent.
Bassmaster
AG
I too understand your frustration in thinking your parents will need to sell it eventually to cover their expenses while living. I have gone round and round with my parents due to their continuous bailing out of my brother (who is 37 years old) financially. He's not destitute, he just makes bad choices and buys every toy he sees when he can't afford it. He knows my parents will bail him out every time if he can't pay his notes and sure enough, they do. It pisses me off to no end, but not because of it impacting my inheritance. It is because when my dad is dead and gone and my mom has no more money because she gave it all to my brother, where will she live? With my brother who can't pay his bills or with me, the financial conservative? I try to make her understand this but she just doesn't get it. Her explanation is "it's ok, we've accounted for everything in the wills." She just doesn't get it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.