Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

672,592 Views | 4428 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very strange house for what appears to be relatively the middle of nowhere. Not near Boise or any other bigger city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4307322,-114.2351357,3a,69.5y,250.42h,89.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-IBXlbm4pNN8ev-KdQtG5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Just doesn't fit the area very much, very strange and would love to know the story of the owners and their design decisions.

Satellite photo doesn't show the pond against the wall filled, yet house was built in 2010. Maybe they don't trust keeping it filled either.

krosch11's post mentions $3,589,959 as a price, but looking in sales history it was first listed at $9,950,000 in July 2021. Then reduced to $5,950,000 in November 2021. Then sold May 2022 - not sure what price was final.
krosch11
AG
Found some info. Architect is Susan Desko. Reading about how they did all the civil work on site is interesting.

https://www.world-architects.com/en/architecture-news/reviews/30-cheval
Complete Idiot
krosch11 said:

Found some info. Architect is Susan Desko. Reading about how they did all the civil work on site is interesting.

https://www.world-architects.com/en/architecture-news/reviews/30-cheval
Very interesting and good find! I wonder what led the owners to complete such an ambitious project then move out after 10 years.

That rooftop pool better be heated! Knowing the weight of water I tend to marvel at roof top pools, and just from a leak perspective I am sure I would never be comfortable with one on my house (not that I'll ever face that decision). I don't even want water heaters in the attic.
combat wombat™
AG
OMG! The "rooftop" pool is cantilevered out over the house.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I really didn't understand the front courtyard and wondered who would want to sit out by the fire and not be able to enjoy the views, but that article informed me exactly why its like that. Good find!
krosch11
AG
combat wombat said:

It's weird but I kind of like its weirdness. I have a lot of questions. Was this built this way intentionally or did they repurpose some other building?

I'd be really concerned about this wall (red line) failing.

It's funny you mention that. When I first saw it I thought it was some refurbished missile silo
p_bubel
Vacant lot, 47'x4800'
Wtf?
normaleagle05
AG
So Grandpa owned a 518 acre ranch with 4700 feet of county road frontage and had ten kids. Being good Catholics, the kids all had ten kids.....

Very common.
Buck Compton
AG
p_bubel said:

Vacant lot, 47'x4800'
Wtf?

That'd make for a hell of a personal shooting range. Beyond that, not sure what you could possibly do with it.
normaleagle05
AG
Based on a lot of experience in Washington County.....fence it in with burned out mattress springs.

They're free in Navasota on bulk collection day.
p_bubel
normaleagle05 said:

Based on a lot of experience in Washington County.....fence it in with burned out mattress springs.

They're free in Navasota on bulk collection day.

Around this area, great place to dump tires in bulk
combat wombat™
AG
Look at the sparking pool on this "luxury" home!

https://www.har.com/homedetail/25739-haven-lake-dr-tomball-tx-77375/7965820

The house needs work, but they mention that. The price seems low, consistent with the needed work. But that pool!!
billyjack2009
The tile patterns gave me a migraine
combat wombat™
AG
I hate them. I'd have to replace all of that tile.
GAC06
AG
I liked the off center fireplace and the bathroom sink that looked too small to wash hands in
The Fife
I guess the good part is you don't have to be careful while powerwashing all that concrete around the pool.

But acres of cheap tile and those mixed chrome and brass fixtures where the gold part starts rubbing off after a couple of years, Some of my least favorite things from the 1990s. And 7,500 sq ft of it to deal with? NOPE!
combat wombat™
AG
So, this is what qualifies as a luxury home in Dunwoody, GA. This is beyond puffery. This might qualify as a luxury home in the third world. It's nice, but not even approaching luxury.

GAC06
AG
Luxury in the sense that it's a brick single wide.

Also, side by side fireplaces? Mighty fine
combat wombat™
AG
That's a place to stack some firewood, not another fireplace.
GAC06
AG
Ah, well it looks bad
The Fife
That is one lousy flip, plenty of corners cut here. Also hard pass on painted brick. Been there, done that never dealing with it again.
Texasclipper
AG
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5603-Winslow-Rd-Franklin-TN-37064/2060108262_zpid/?utm_campaign=zillowgonewild&utm_medium=zillowgonewild&utm_source=zillowgonewild&fbclid=IwAR3A5AFQBjY60oPGTopZfoQqgmBMVJcQB1QaVWw1DhMY2HYOT4MWv5uTO2k

Opportunity to buy fire damaged mansion...
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Just came to post this one. Brilliant.

Quote:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
p_bubel

Quote:

The patio also includes its own thermostat with automatic vents
Eh? Is this a "thing" now?

Deer Meadow Ln
Beckdiesel03
AG
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2825-FM-2722_New-Braunfels_TX_78132_M93485-29687?property_id=9348529687&from=ab_mixed_view_card

You could own the home of the parents of the Southerland Springs Church shooter
dallasiteinsa02
Beckdiesel03 said:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2825-FM-2722_New-Braunfels_TX_78132_M93485-29687?property_id=9348529687&from=ab_mixed_view_card

You could own the home of the parents of the Southerland Springs Church shooter

That house is almost completely built using the cheapest way to do anything. Every decision they made was seemingly the cheapest option.
The Fife
That cheap "wood" that they used everywhere looks like crap. Same thing for all the $200K house fixtures they stuck in a place they want 10x as much for.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Oh its hideous for sure, but I would love to have the 28 acres where its located at and the pool!
YNWA.2013
Family purchases $1.5m fire-damaged Tennessee mansion
-FTA c/o 2013
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13101-Hillcrest-Blvd-Fort-Worth-TX-76244/29240983_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

I was looking up comps for my house in getting an idea to set expectations for a list price and saw this house. The house is fine, but the neighborhood is really interesting. It's basically a neighborhood with a runway accessible to the residents for their private planes. This house doesn't have a hangar but most of the other houses in the neighborhood have their own personal hangar for their airplane.

cena05
AG
Not crazy uncommon, there's one outside of Katy and have seen one in Florida. Pretty cool idea if you fly.
combat wombat™
AG
There's one in Cypress off of Skinner Rd.
p_bubel
Yeah there's several in San Antonio. One just 20 minutes from downtown and near the airport.
GeographyAg
AG
There's even one at Hilltop Lakes near Normangee, though i think only a few of the homes actually have a hanger of their own.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
billyjack2009
He opened The Work Lodge. We used to have meetings at the Vintage location all the time. Nice guy.
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 127

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.