Real Estate
Sponsored by

Absolutely Stunning Custom Home?

630,951 Views | 4410 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Complete Idiot
Gramercy Riffs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I draw the line at panda sitting on toilet.
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
quote:
This listing includes person in panda suit in almost every picture. Spring, TX.

http://www.har.com/22427-high-point-pines-dr/sale_77126430

WTF!?!
The Fife
quote:
is that a sleep apnea machine under the bed?
I don't want to know what's under the bed! I bet with a blacklight that place lights up like a crime scene.

The scary pictures are the ones without the panda because you know, somewhere, there's a furvert hiding nearby out of sight.
Diggity
AG
The panda made the news. Mission accomplished!

Unique home listing includes person in a panda suit in every picture

Eats, shoots and leases! Woman dresses up as a giant PANDA costume in a bizarre bid to sell $200,000 four-bedroom home
The Fife
I saw blonde hair poking out in the picture where they were using the faucet! Thought it was the listing agent, but didn't see any other houses she had that included pandas so I figured it was a creepy homeowner.
p_bubel
Have a Manufactured Home inspection in the morning. FHA no less. And way the **** out in the boonies of course. Asked the realtor on Monday if there was an engineer's report for the foundation on the piece of junk and she just got back to me 30 minutes ago stating the Manufactured Home was not part of the deal and is being removed from the property.

WTF? Would you not state something like that in the contract at least? Maybe let the lender know that this is not a loan on it? Cripes my Friday is gone to ****. Well, ****tier at least.

This job sometimes...
The Fife
At least you don't have to go shoo the snakes and racoons out from under someone's trailer and crawl around underneath it.
Joan Wilder
AG
Frio - we are looking in that area. I saw your listing on HAR and it looks from the pics that there isn't a garage - there's the driveway that dead ends in the front yard. That would be a deal breaker for me (esp at that price point). Lots of buyers like me, for better or worse, make a decision on pics and don't read all the details. It also makes me question "what's going on with the garage if they didn't show it?"

The house looks lovely though.

Consider adding some descriptions - it's hard to "see" the flow of the rooms and what's on what floor.

I think you're going to have a tough time at that price point so close to the corner of White Oak and that business.
MAS444
AG
Behold..."Chateau Kipper." Speaking of descriptions...these are awful... Give me a break with trying to make this home a "chateau" with fancy names for every small room. And I shouldn't have to click back and forth to figure out what's where... I hate it when there is no logical flow to the pictures.

http://www.har.com/1645-kipling-st/sale_43841954
powerbiscuit
What is the deal with waist level photographs? They look horrible.
FrioAg 00
AG
quote:
Frio - we are looking in that area. I saw your listing on HAR and it looks from the pics that there isn't a garage - there's the driveway that dead ends in the front yard. That would be a deal breaker for me (esp at that price point). Lots of buyers like me, for better or worse, make a decision on pics and don't read all the details. It also makes me question "what's going on with the garage if they didn't show it?"

The house looks lovely though.

Consider adding some descriptions - it's hard to "see" the flow of the rooms and what's on what floor.

I think you're going to have a tough time at that price point so close to the corner of White Oak and that business.

Thank you. I am working on several updates as we re-post including the pictures after its empty. It's actually got a great garage facing the ally so I wil picture that as well.

The White Oak business is real, and will definitely work into the price. It's not for everyone but we have loved it - very social place.
Joan Wilder
AG
That's smart, Frio. Is the front drive just additional parking? I can see potential buyers adding up the cost in their heads of taking that out for more lawn.

It's a great house though. If that's a bedroom right off the kitchen, (again- it's a little hard to tell the layout) consider staging that as a media room or office. D

Good luck!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
What is the deal with waist level photographs? They look horrible.
It depends on how they're done and which room you're shooting. A lot of interior shots should be at waist level, but they're executed poorly. Kitchens need to be higher (you need to see over the island and you never want to see underside the upper cabinets), but living rooms and bedrooms look better from a little lower. It doesn't necessarily need to be waist level, but a lower angle helps put the viewer "in" the room rather than looking down on it.

Besides the artistic side of shooting low, the technical problem with shooting too high (and you see this with a lot of realtors) is that you're pointing the camera down, which throws off your vertical lines like this:

It's an easy fix in post processing, or you can use a tilt-shift lens ($$$$), or you can just shoot lower and keep the camera straight. Amateur kitchen shots can be particularly bad - the person holds the camera way up high and shoots down on the big room, and your cabinets and refrigerator end up going in two different directions.

The same idea holds true for exterior shots when you're shooting a taller subject. When you shoot up, your lines merge inward, like this:

And in either case - interior or exterior - the human eye just doesn't see things that way. Our brains process vertical lines as true verticals, so that's how your photos should show them as well. For many interior shots, that just means lowering the camera a bit.

EDIT: and if you're specifically talking about the house at 1645 Kipling, I agree that a lot of those are too low. I hadn't clicked on the link before I posted.
powerbiscuit
quote:

EDIT: and if you're specifically talking about the house at 1645 Kipling, I agree that a lot of those are too low. I hadn't clicked on the link before I posted.
No, just in general. I see kitchen shots so low that the countertops aren't visible. That seems way too low to me.
The Fife
quote:
Behold..."Chateau Kipper." Speaking of descriptions...these are awful... Give me a break with trying to make this home a "chateau" with fancy names for every small room. And I shouldn't have to click back and forth to figure out what's where... I hate it when there is no logical flow to the pictures.

http://www.har.com/1645-kipling-st/sale_43841954
I can't tell if it was recently renovated by people who lived there or someone trying to flip, but the finishes used in most areas just aren't working for me. Especially the bathrooms, it doesn't look very functional at all.
MAS444
AG
Yeah...I agree. It's in a great area and appears to have great bones...but I don't really understand the layout...

After looking at it several more times, the "conservatory"/family room = the lounge. And the "media room" = "library" (I think).
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
quote:

No, just in general. I see kitchen shots so low that the countertops aren't visible. That seems way too low to me.
Yeah, that's bad. The kitchen should be higher than that. The underside of the upper cabinets is a good rule of thumb. That usually gives you plenty of room for the countertops.

This is as low as I'll go on a kitchen:

And here's the realtor's photo before the reshoot. The height is fine, but the lines are crooked:

SECond2noneAgs
AG
Those pictures don't even look like the same kitchen. The top picture looks like a house I would like to take a look at, while the bottom picture looks like a crime scene photograph. Good work.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Thanks! I'm looking forward to telling the other guy that if real estate doesn't work out, he's got a future in crime scene photography.
p_bubel

quote:

This is as low as I'll go on a kitchen:

And here's the realtor's photo before the reshoot. The height is fine, but the lines are crooked:

If you still question the need to spend money on a professional photographer it does not get any clearer than this.

Nice.
RK
AG
quote:
This is as low as I'll go on a kitchen
that's not what your mom said [/inappropriate derail]
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I walked right into that one.
p_bubel
p_bubel
quote:
On Contracts please have the Seller as "The United States of America"

We're all a lil bit richer, *****es.
The Fife
I'll have my tank in green, please.
Diggity
AG
This is what happens when an agent insists on posting a ton of photos for a cookie-cutter townhome.

I also love that 8'x6' third bedroom

3028 Commerce St
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'm asked to provide some of those images from time to time. I don't particularly like them for a normal house because it's tough to come up with ideas on what to shoot. So I turn to sarcasm and at least get a chuckle out of it. I also don't spend too much time processing these.

"If you buy this house, this could be your pillow getting hit with this beautiful window light at just the right angle!"

"I'm not sure about the other houses you're considering, but this one has running water!"

"The refrigerator does not convey, but these lemons do."

Diggity
AG
I guess people think buyers will really fall in love with their staging techniques?
The Fife
Act fast! Lemons may be fuzzy and discolored by closing day.
Zemira
AG
I wish I could find the listing I visited about 3 years ago in Houston. It had a "custom" slate floor in the kitchen and dining room. There was no way it was custom. The pictures looked okay but the slate was majorly uneven. To top it off a bedroom had a different tile floor and the two bathrooms had different tiles. None of them really matched either.
powerbiscuit

speaking of "low" photos, not only can you see the underside of the upper cabinets, you can see under the countertops

Diggity
AG
they wanted it from the family dog's point of view.
Jason C.
AG
Panda suit ones were trying too hard to make Swamplot.
Zemira
AG
I can guarantee that a bunch of potential buyers were turned off by this room alone.

First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 127

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.