New Coach

8,138 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Reno Hightower
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://12thman.com/news/2021/5/17/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-hires-greg-brown-as-assistant-coach.aspx
greg.w.h
AG
Fascinating. Looks like a solid hire.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Definitely interesting! Initially I was thinking this would be a defensive coaching hire...looks like he has lots of experience develops 5's, so CS might be happy!
fitzwatema
AG
I was really hoping for a "wow" hire, this one doesn't do that for me. His record as a head coach at Liscomb over a 7 year span was 44 - 164 - yikes!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Do we need another coach or is this it?
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
Worked under Pat Summitt for two years!
Kbeauty63
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Still have Coach Wright to replace
Rudybryan
Kbeauty63 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Still have Coach Wright to replace
Since he is not a defensive coach we still have Bob to replace
aggiedrjdub
AG
Good points
wlc61
AG
What about Sydney Carter?
wlc61
cs69ag
AG
Not a wow hire. A safe hire for GB. Not much risk. Likely won't rock the boat.

Re a D coach, the more I think about it, if Syd Carter was interested, I would consider her.
She is a NC and has played in the pros. I think Vic thinks she may be the best player on D he has ever coached.
She is young and has not coordinated complete game plans. She can show our players how to play D.
Syd must be around 30...is that really too young?

I would like to see that "up the line"/deny the entry pass, in your shirt close man to man D again.
Syd can coach that because she has done it. I don't want to see a lot of players in foul trouble. bu
used to make more free throws than we attempted. That was usually the difference in the games they won.

Syd can coach A. Morris and M. Green to pressure the ball....they are both cat quick!! Would really like to get back to being the aggressive, attacking team and play a lot of players.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm sure Sydney will be huge for us if she is recruiting practice players for us. If all she does is run the practice team defenses this year that would be a huge step and gets her the "whole defense" experience she would want to have to do tye coaching you describe with our team. So hopefully she's on track for that in a bit too distant future.

We know he had his best team with a fully delegated defensive coordinator. And defense first is how scrappy teams get to the Final Four with an untested offense. He should hire who he needs. The hope is the lack of a contract extension isn't limiting his choices. Or better yet that he is keenly aware of how staff chemistry matters as he fills that spot.

I can't tell what is really going on when there is very little information provided by the school on his contract situation. I'm guessing we learn more this summer. Which seems a little late if they are planning a transition.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Yeah someone said he's retiring this summer and Bond-White is taking over. Was that you? I honestly can't remember. They said the team has been told. I have no idea. Just what I remember reading on one of the threads.

I agree. We need a coach specifically for defense.
greg.w.h
AG
I did not offer that rumor. As I've said repeatedly everything I post either is from an article or is purely my speculation. I have zero ties to any of our sports programs or to the administration other than the mother of my brother-in-law's wife (both of them are Aggies) working in admissions and student affairs over the years. She has told me absolutely zero about anything except usual guidance on the admissions process. That counseling helped us prepare my elder daughter's application and she successfully graduated in Dec 2018 and did not play any sports. And calls them all "sportsball."
aggiedrjdub
AG
Hahaha good stuff
cs69ag
AG
My hunch is GB will coach one more year.

I think he has some pretty good talent coming back and transferring in. Will have a tougher SEC away game schedule.

He likes all the attention he will get based on his career, what he has contributed to the game, etc. Well deserved

Gives more time for the transition to Kelly Bond White...if that is the way the AD will go...Half the wbb head coaches in the SEC are black women.

Flash02
Beat Mulkey two or three times next year and call it a career. He'd be very happy.
greg.w.h
AG
Flash02 said:

Beat Mulkey two or three times next year and call it a career. He'd be very happy.
Four. Two conference games. SEC Tournament. Meet in F4 or NCAA Championship game.
aggiedrjdub
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CPwbGQkH_EF
fitzwatema
AG
Sports performance coach, did we get rid of the other one?
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't really know. Maybe this is a new position?
aggiedrjdub
AG
SoI also have to say, I follow Coach Bond-White's Instagram account and it seems like she's making a lot of these calls. Maybe I'm just reading into that. Idk.
Kbeauty63
AG
FWIW - Tanna's title is Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Performance - so, maybe she's getting some more help?
fitzwatema
AG
That would make sense if Gary does decide to retire this year.
aggiedrjdub
AG
https://12thman.com/news/2021/6/10/womens-basketball-blair-names-christina-richardson-director-of-operations.aspx
fitzwatema
AG
Surprised to see Erich Birch leaving.
iisanaggie
AG
Me too. Anyone know where he is going?
JimbosNattyTrophy
AG
iisanaggie said:

When I went in for my manager interview in April he had boxes packed up and a pretty empty office, so I think it's been known within the program for a while. However, I'm curious to see why after 19 years he's leaving...
Rudybryan
iisanaggie said:

He is staying in town
aggiedrjdub
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CQGuL3WJk30
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

https://instagr.am/p/CQGuL3WJk30
This should be interesting.......Becky's name was thrown around for Boston job
Flash02
Lsu will not make the F4
aggiedrjdub
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CQg_mQyHTZl
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm not familiar with her so any insight is appreciated
Wicked Good Ag
Marquette coach during their run and then last year went to Illinois.

As co associate head coach it sounds like this is a move that will be where Bond White takes over in a year or two
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.