Vic got his team to the elite 8

13,584 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by trackaggie76
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gap said:

Vic just set the all-time NCAA record for least points in a quarter of a NCAA women's basketball game and also the all-time NCAA record for least points in a quarter of a NCAA tournament game. And he did it with the likely #1 overall pick in the WNBA draft.

Congrats to Vic as this record is likely to stand for a while!

Record-setting coach.

Pay the man!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Y'all are really really strange.
NewArmy69
AG
Last sip bucket was with 2:28 left in 3rd quarter.
Cedar09
Usc could have stop scoring at half and still won by 3.
Stone44
AG
He got crushed tonight. Sips went down hard. Screw em.
Hand Of God
AG
Fact of the matter: Vic is taking his programs further in the tourney than Blair and he's recruiting better too.
aginlakeway
AG
Hand Of God said:

Fact of the matter: Vic is taking his programs further in the tourney than Blair and he's recruiting better too.

That's is 100% incorrect. Blair has taken his programs further in the tourney. Vic has not won a title.

Why can't Vic field a team that can at least SCORE in a quarter? Isn't that poor coaching? Or poor recruiting?

Didn't we beat both of these teams?
Wicked Good Ag
Fourth quarter and nine innings.

What do they have in common ???
Hand Of God
AG
I was thrilled when Blair won the title a decade ago. But what has he done since? One Elite 8.

Meanwhile, Vic has now done that 4 tournaments in a row. That includes two championship game appearances. Truth hurts.

Cedar09
They pay him 1.8??
Cedar09
Hand Of God said:

I was thrilled when Blair won the title a decade ago. But what has he done since? One Elite 8.

Meanwhile, Vic has now done that 4 tournaments in a row. That includes two championship game appearances. Truth hurts.

Why is he wearing that national championship ring? Oh that's right he can't win one for himself.
aginlakeway
AG
Hand Of God said:

I could make a case that A&M had a better season. SEC title. More wins, Wins over SC and Texas. Just like I think we had a better football season than Notre Dame even if they made the playoffs and we didn't.

If you love Vic so much, start rooting for Texas. Otherwise, why not support the guy who coaches the Aggies.
Thymes
SEC Regular Season Championship
Gary Blair 65, South Carolina 57

NCAA Elite Eight
South Carolina 62, Vic Schaefer 34*
*Horns do not score a point in he 4th quarter
aginlakeway
AG
Cedar09 said:

They pay him 1.8??

You'd think he could recruit/coach 5 players who can score in the 4h quarter.
91AggieLawyer
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

just because some of us haven't responded does not mean we haven't been on the boards for years (personally, i stopped paying for an account years ago because i don't see the point in paying for a membership to this site when there are other free options out there). it also doesn't make them less knowledgeable about the team, or less qualified to offer an opinion.

Of course it doesn't make anyone less knowledgable or less qualified to offer an opinion. What it does do is to create essentially an ad hominem argument for someone who doesn't have anything substantive.

Someone making his or her first post ever may or may not have a good point to make. The validity of the point has nothing to do with how long they've been on the forum or whether they've gone away and come back. I haven't posted on here in many years or maybe much at all in the past because I lost a LOT of interest in basketball in general. I just wandered over here due to the season we're in.

But the "you haven't posted on here in a while so shutup" idea, no matter how nicely you dress it up and say it, isn't something I'd embarrass myself by saying. But that's just me.
Hand Of God
AG
Some of y'all still aren't seeing the correlation?

A&M wins the national title with Vic on the bench as the defensive mastermind. This was no secret.

He leaves the following year and A&M has struggled to get passed the Sweet 16 since. This is no coincidence.

Meanwhile Vic is taking his Miss St program to new heights. 3 consecutive Elite 8s. Two championship games.

Now he's at Texas and already reaches the Elite 8 on his first attempt. He's got 3 top-25 recruits coming in next year while A&M has one top-100 recruit (per ESPN).

What's clear to me is that Blair needed Vic but Vic doesn't need Blair.
aginlakeway
AG
Hand Of God said:

A&M wins the national title with Vic on the bench as the defensive mastermind. This was no secret.

He leaves the following year and A&M has struggled to get passed the Sweet 16 since. This is no coincidence.

Meanwhile Vic is taking his Miss St program to new heights. 3 consecutive Elite 8s. Two championship games.

Now he's at Texas and already reaches the Elite 8 on his first attempt. He's got 3 top-25 recruits coming in next year while A&M has one top-100 recruit (per ESPN).

Ok. So why not support the current Aggie coach rather than yearning for the Texas coach who isn't coming here to coach anytime soon?

Because sanctifying the sip coach doesn't help our program one bit.
Hand Of God
AG
Also, do people really care about conference titles? I couldn't care less about winning the SEC if we are just going to underperform in the tournament that actually matters most.

We simply weren't what league play made us think we were. The SEC performed poorly overall in the tournament and our conference title gave us a false impression of ourselves on the national level.

Most people here believed we deserved a #1 seed in the tournament. That means they thought we were a likely FF contender. But then came the reality. We barely beat the #15 seed and only escaped the #7 seed in OT. Then we got trounced by a #3.

We were overrated and it clearly showed.
aginlakeway
AG
Hand Of God said:

Also, do people really care about conference titles? I couldn't care less about winning the SEC if we are just going to underperform in the tournament that actually matters most.

We simply weren't what league play made us think we were. The SEC performed poorly overall in the tournament and our conference title gave us a false impression of ourselves on the national level.

Most people here believed we deserved a #1 seed in the tournament. That means they thought we were a likely FF contender. But then came the reality. We barely beat the #15 seed and only escaped the #7 seed in OT. Then we got trounced by a #3.

We were overrated and it clearly showed.

Ok. Thanks. Gig 'em.
greg.w.h
AG
We had a single loss to an unranked team. Georgia was ranked when we lost to them. So was Arizona. The selection committee rewarded a hair's breadth distinction and now you're trying to turn the molehill into a mountain. 'Tain't so. We had our best ever finish to the season and conference. Period. We should have beat Georgia, but if you watch the selection committees they slide excuses around like melted butter to justify their decisions. It's about something other than merit when they do that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Hand Of God said:

Vic, get off Texags and remind your team the object is putting the orange thing inside the round thing.
Hand Of God
AG
In the end, when it mattered most, A&M underperformed and Texas overperformed.
Wicked Good Ag
Over the season or the tourney?
Because over the season I would completely disagree and say the exact opposite. As for the tourney we went one less round then they did and beat the team they got destroyed by to win a conference title.
Gap
AG
Hand Of God said:

In the end, when it mattered most, A&M underperformed and Texas overperformed.

0 points for Vic in the entire 4Q was over performing? You are trying too hard.

When it "mattered most", Vic's Longhorns did something that can never be done worse in the history of women's basketball in the past, present, and future. And that is simply brutal.
Wicked Good Ag
Is Vic a great coach ? Yes but we aren't playing over 2.5 million a year for him which would be what it likely takes to even think about him coming here and that is only when Blair retires.

I will put it this way. I would take TAMU season over Texas season this past year 100 times out of 100 regardless they went one round deeper.
We had a team that was special. And maybe if you had witnessed them game in and game out you would know that.
I would love to see any of them come back for one more season if they want but I don't think all of them would which is likely a good thing. We have some players that are talented that need playing time but keep a couple on the roster would be great.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't disagree with you; but what I remember from 2011 is the national championship; not the fact that we weren't conference champions. I do agree that we had a special team. Something seemed to have happened after that SC win, though. The team just didn't look the same although they put their hearts on the floor every game. There's no denying that.

Let me ask you a question, I'm honestly curious...do we have the money to pay $2.5m a year? If yes, then why wouldn't we pay that if our goals are championships? Having asked that, I don't know what the ultimate goals are for the women's basketball program. If the answer is no, then how many more years to you give GB before moving on? Do you allow him to coach 10 more years if he wants? What is the deciding factor for you? I am not disputing how he's moved our program leap years ahead of where it was. GB is a legend and we should all be thankful for what he has done. I just don't see how a 75 year old man keeps up with the rigors of a high level D1 basketball program. I ask these questions hoping to have an open and honest dialog moving forward. It's obvious many of us disagree, but I think we can have a good discussion. I want to win national championships for every athletic program at Texas A&M. Those would be my goals. If I felt as an athletic director that we were not heading in that direction, then I would have discussions about what it would take to get there.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Wicked Good Ag
We were a top 5 program this season who fell short of that in the tourney

There arent many programs that would pay 2.5 million on the womens side and certainly not after a season like this to even think about it

Everybody is enamored with Vic. I get it. Great coach and part of our national championship in 2011

That said while his results are better over the last few years he hasnt won a title as a head coach. Only a few coaches left have

Blair has brought in solid transfers and that is the way recruiting has gone for a few years now so people saying Vic has 3 top 25 recruits next year from high school. What is Blair gets three like Cierra, Wilson and Nixon off the transfer market....seemed to work well for us this year
cs69ag
AG
As I have said before, all opinions are based on performance vs, expectations!

If you expected a minimum Elite 8 or a Final Four, we under achieved.

If winning the SEC is enough for you, we over achieved as we were picked 3rd preseason.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think Vic is great, but he's not someone I would target as a replacement for GB and staff. I would want a younger, take no prisoners sort of coach. I think the frustration many feel is that we seem to fall short in the tournament every season. If we were an elite 8 team or final 4 team year in / year out, I count that as a victory. How do we get over the hump? Lots of wins are great, but how do we get lots of wins in the NCAA tournament? Do you believe GB has what it takes to win another national championship?

Also - I think many people would disagree that we were a top 5 team this season. Based on wins and a couple of polls, yes. Based on the net rankings and how we performed in the tournament, we were not.
Wicked Good Ag
Lol at Net rankings
aggiedrjdub
AG
lol well i agree with you there, but apparently that's "the new way".
trackaggie76
AG
Was a great night seeing t.u. get throttled by SC in WBB and getting beat by the good guys in baseball!
greg.w.h
AG
The NET rankings were awful this year. And the fact the NCAA is using a proprietary, non-transparent ranking doesn't exactly help them keep their fingerprints off the selection committee disasters. We were a top 5 team. We deserved a 1 and would have played a 4. Would we have beat all comers? Probably. Why didn't we beat Arizona? They had length advantages under the basket which was a hole we have faced without losing all times except really Georgia though LSU gave us some fits there as well.

There isn't a reason to rehash a season with exactly four losses. It was a good run.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Except we only lost 3 games LOL
aginlakeway
AG
greg.w.h said:

The NET rankings were awful this year. And the fact the NCAA is using a proprietary, non-transparent ranking doesn't exactly help them keep their fingerprints off the selection committee disasters. We were a top 5 team. We deserved a 1 and would have played a 4. Would we have beat all comers? Probably. Why didn't we beat Arizona? They had length advantages under the basket which was a hole we have faced without losing all times except really Georgia though LSU gave us some fits there as well.

There isn't a reason to rehash a season with exactly four losses. It was a good run.

Or exactly 3 losses. But who is counting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.