Vic got his team to the elite 8

13,391 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trackaggie76
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oops. Three. It was a good campaign.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Roy Williams is set to announce his retirement today at 4:00 PM.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
aggiedrjdub
AG
Does anyone know if Kayla declared? I thought someone said today is the deadline if they want to declare for the draft. Ciera?

Also - can someone post the incoming athletes into the program?
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
Aggie1188
Bucketrunner said:

And here comes the Cult of Vic. Just like clockwork.
You need to look at Blair's 2021 recruiting class. If any other Aggie coach recruited that poorly, they'd be fired. Vic managed to land 3 top 25 girls. Our best recruit is #91. Lmao
Aggie1188
aginlakeway said:

Hand Of God said:

Fact of the matter: Vic is taking his programs further in the tourney than Blair and he's recruiting better too.

That's is 100% incorrect. Blair has taken his programs further in the tourney. Vic has not won a title.

Why can't Vic field a team that can at least SCORE in a quarter? Isn't that poor coaching? Or poor recruiting?

Didn't we beat both of these teams?
Lol. Vic guy beat UConn but lost to SC in final. He's pulling Blair's pants down and whipping him in recruiting.
Thymes
aggiedrjdub said:

How many coaches can take their first year teams to the elite 8?

That depends. How much talent do most first-year coaches inherit? In the case of Texas, Karen Aston didn't leave the cupboard bare -- just as Mike Sherman didn't leave the cupboard bare for Kevin Sumlin. Aston recruited the nucleus of this Elite Eight team, including Charlie Collier, who will be a first-round WNBA pick.

Aston also recruited three of the remaining four Texas starters: Celeste Taylor, Joanne Allen-Taylor and Audrey Warren.

Vic's first Texas team lost 10 games; Karen's last Texas last Texas team lost 11. But Aston's team beat then No. 1 Stanford.

I would argue that Vic brought Karen's last team, which didn't get to play in the cancelled 2020 NCAA Tournament, to the 2021 tournament.

Rudybryan
Whole lot of talkin but do you remember why MSST got to the finals twice two years in a row and then blew it........

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2018/04/01/ncaa-womens-basketball-national-championship-notre-dame-mississippi-state-scores-news-updates/476614002/

His team's have show a history of having offensive lapses in scoring when it counts the most........

and it happened again this time against Stanford who was going for their first championship in 29 years.....

someone early called them an elite team........ours has only been 10 yrs so why aren't we elite?

ColoradoMooseHerd
The only reason Vic made it to the Elite 8 was because of Collier and he had nothing to do with her being at Texas. She is going to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft.
Jimma
How many of those 24 wins were convincing wins. Would the Aggies have won the SEC without extremely last second wins over Arkansas? I don't have an answer for the coaching job. I think the AD should take a look at the characteristics of the coaches that continuously win and play deep into the tournaments. Does Blair have those characteristics or is it time to look for another coach with them.
aginlakeway
AG
Jimma said:

How many of those 24 wins were convincing wins. Would the Aggies have won the SEC without extremely last second wins over Arkansas? I don't have an answer for the coaching job. I think the AD should take a look at the characteristics of the coaches that continuously win and play deep into the tournaments. Does Blair have those characteristics or is it time to look for another coach with them.

So did any other SEC teams have any close wins? How about non-SEC teams. Did any of them have any close wins?

UConn? They had a few close wins. And they actually did lose to Arkansas.
Stanford? They had a few close wins. And they actually lost to a bad Colorado team.
South Carolina? They had a few close wins. And they LOST to Texas A&M, who you seem to be critical of.

I don't get your point about taking away the close wins without applying that same logic to every other team.

Blair will be the coach next season.

"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Gap
AG
Stanford just won a national championship by winning their last 2 games by 1 point each.

One of those games was against a South Carolina team that we beat nicely.

Close games are a part of sports and winning more than your share of those games is the sign of a well coached team.

I mean think of the opposite presentation of this. It would be silly and go something like this: "We have a really well coached team. You can tell because we lost another one last night because we again fell apart at crunch time."
ColoradoMooseHerd
Speaking of UConn. Who eliminated them from the tourney?
mentorsubsea
AG
At the end of the day, a coach is paid to win championships in every sport at any major D1 college. Coach Blair is measured with the same criteria. It's been 10 years since he won the national championship but since then his team has floundered in the sweet 16's four times, exited in the 2nd round twice, eliminated in the 1st round once and 1 Elite 8 after the national championship season. Why is that?

Coach Blair's recruiting should have been through the roof after that national championship season but it did not happen.

We had Chennedy Carter, one of the most electrifying players to grace our women basketball program. Yet the two years we had her on the team, we didn't do much, exited both season at the Sweet 16. Third year was cancelled due to COVID.

We had 3 WNBA players on this year's team. The ladies lost in the Sweet 16 with a shot to E8 but was UA took it to our team in the second half particularly in the 3rd quarter. That should be on the coach, right? This was as experienced group as you will find but UA took it to us. With a veteran group like this, you can't come out flat like this in a game with that much riding on it.

Coach Harris and Starkey left for Auburn. I wonder if they see something that we as fans don't see. I mean that is a lateral move for Starkey. Unless he is the scapegoat for our failed defense against UA.

I certainly appreciate what Coach Blair has done for our women basketball program but it's stagnant now. I know we have not done much before he arrived but we can't wait for the program to crash again before we make a move. I was very disappointed that our team did not make it to the FF4. I expected these ladies to go the FF4.
aginlakeway
AG
Ok. But he'll be our coach next season.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
mentorsubsea
AG
UA so what you are saying is that Coach Blair's team ran into a buzzsaw of a team that was just hot.

So is that a talent or coaching issue with the A&M team? To me, a hot team can be cooled down by another team. But one way or the other our team was not "good enough" to shut them down. We had 3 players just got drafted for the WNBA so I don't think it's talent. Nixon is a pretty decent PG. Kayla Wells plays a pretty good 3/4.

So I disagree with your premise that UA was just hot or better than our team, maybe better prepared?
mentorsubsea
AG
Not saying he won't but some thought need to go through AD Bjork about a timely replacement before our women's basketball program falls off the map since now we have both tu and BU to contend with for top echelon talent. It's getting dangerously close to becoming irrelevant again.
aginlakeway
AG
mentorsubsea said:

Not saying he won't but some thought need to go through AD Bjork about a timely replacement before our women's basketball program falls off the map since now we have both tu and BU to contend with for top echelon talent. It's getting dangerously close to becoming irrelevant again.

We won the SEC title last year. Unsure how you call that irrelevant.

But feel free to pass along your concerns to our AD. Either with your thoughts or your donations.
Thymes
mentorsubsea said:

Dangerously close to irrelevance? Again? Falls off the map?

25-3
Regular-season SEC champions
Lost only one SEC regular-season game
16th straight post-season appearance
Third straight Sweet 16
Three players drafted in Thursday's WNBA draft
Enough "top-echelon talent" to beat Texas by eight points this year -- the team that had the overall No. 1 draft choice Thursday.

ColoradoMooseHerd
mentorsubsea said:

UA so what you are saying is that Coach Blair's team ran into a buzzsaw of a team that was just hot.

So is that a talent or coaching issue with the A&M team? To me, a hot team can be cooled down by another team. But one way or the other our team was not "good enough" to shut them down. We had 3 players just got drafted for the WNBA so I don't think it's talent. Nixon is a pretty decent PG. Kayla Wells plays a pretty good 3/4.

So I disagree with your premise that UA was just hot or better than our team, maybe better prepared?
So You are saying Geno did a poor job too with his talent right?
And Stanford almost blew it do to the last shot.
Terrible group of coaches there
mentorsubsea
AG
Now we have 3 powerhouse programs within the state, are you so confident that our recruiting will not suffer?

If our recruiting suffer, won't that bring down a program? I am talking about the future not the present.

Yes, the team did have an outstanding season but where did that outstanding season end up? A loss in the Sweet 16. I thought athletics is result based. Is that to say that you are not disappointed at all with only a Sweet 16 finish?
mentorsubsea
AG
Geno made it to the FF4. We did not sniff the FF4. To Geno, not winning a NC is a disappointment. His team is very young this season. UConn is a fixture in the FF4. We are not.
ColoradoMooseHerd
mentorsubsea said:

Geno made it to the FF4. We did not sniff the FF4. To Geno, not winning a NC is a disappointment. His team is very young this season. UConn is a fixture in the FF4. We are not.
Lost to the same team
aginlakeway
AG
Unsure what your agenda is.

Blair will coach this team next season. I'm sorry.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I understand what you are saying, and agree that GB will be back, but I think colorado has valid points. Our program is not comparable to UConn or Stanford or SC. And while GB can be applauded for what he has accomplished, his NCAA results are not in the same category as Geno or Tara or even Dawn. Geno and Dawn both took desolate programs into the stratosphere. Both UConn and SC made runs deep into the tournament (F4) with very young teams. They continue to plug and play and win with what they have. I think my biggest concern with GB is that it seems like it takes veterans to understand his brand of basketball.

At any rate, losing Starkey is super weird to me. Like someone stated earlier, change is good. It's hard to imagine how losing someone that coached our program for 9 years won't potentially adversely affect the outcome of our games vs Auburn. Starkey literally knows every single play in GB's offensive handbook. He will know how to defend everything.

Looking forward to watching the transfer portal and for more news to come from inside the WBB program.
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

They have not been great, and even Vic was quoted as saying that he doesn't have a team that can score very many points. They work hard, which is kind of what his teams do. In very little time he took MissState to places they had not been. If he had not left, they would still be a perennial final 4 contender (in my opinion). How many coaches can take their first year teams to the elite 8?

And I get that there are very few teams that are consistently great. Why can't we be a UConn, or a Stanford, or a South Carolina? What does it take to get there? Why was Geno able to take UConn from obscurity into a national power house?

I mean no disrespect to that 2011 team. Everything they did in that tournament was amazing. But based on GBs tournament record, winning that natty was a bit of an anomaly (which I loved).

I'm not saying GB is awful. I love him for what he's done. But, my question is, do we just continue to be okay with the S16 and maybe an elite8? Or do we make the push for more?

I guess we will see what happens with his contract.

I love the fact you use Stanford as an example they got the NC this year but it took them 29 yrs since the last one - MSST didnt get NC - Mulkey only got 1 with Griner and everyone said she should have had at least 3 - and all I hear from those of you in here that bleed Vic is defense wins championships well all of his team play defense but he lost - you must also put ball in basket to win titles

And of course who would replace Gary - lets see how Vic does this year without Johnnie - it takes all the stars aligning to win NC I expect to be at the dance next year with Gary at the helm - when he replaced Vic and Johnnie we went to the dance in 2012 I don't expect any less
aggiedrjdub
AG
But her results are stellar...I don't think the goal is a national championship every season, but 13 final four appearances speak for themselves, along with 23 regular titles, and 14 pac 12 tournament crowns... We aren't even in the same league as this record.

VanDerveer has led her Stanford teams to three NCAA Championships (1990, 1992, 2021), 13 NCAA Final Four appearances, 23 Pac-12 regular-season titles, 14 Pac-12 Tournament crowns and 32 trips to the NCAA Tournament.

• 5 National Coach of the Year (19881990, 2011, 2020)
  • 10 Pac-10/12 Coach of the Year (1989, 1990, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009)
  • 5 WBCA District/Region Coach of the Year (19881990, 2007, 2009)
  • John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award (2014)
  • 5 Northern California Women's Intercollegiate Coach of the Year (19881990, 1992, 1993)
  • 2 Big Ten Coach of the Year (1984, 1985)

FWIW - I'm not a Vic or bust guy. I'll roll with whoever we have, but I'm not going to be shy about wanting similar results as those posted above. If that's not our stated goal, then so be it.
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

But her results are stellar...I don't think the goal is a national championship every season, but 13 final four appearances speak for themselves, along with 23 regular titles, and 14 pac 12 tournament crowns... We aren't even in the same league as this record.

VanDerveer has led her Stanford teams to three NCAA Championships (1990, 1992, 2021), 13 NCAA Final Four appearances, 23 Pac-12 regular-season titles, 14 Pac-12 Tournament crowns and 32 trips to the NCAA Tournament.

• 5 National Coach of the Year (19881990, 2011, 2020)
  • 10 Pac-10/12 Coach of the Year (1989, 1990, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009)
  • 5 WBCA District/Region Coach of the Year (19881990, 2007, 2009)
  • John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award (2014)
  • 5 Northern California Women's Intercollegiate Coach of the Year (19881990, 1992, 1993)
  • 2 Big Ten Coach of the Year (1984, 1985)

FWIW - I'm not a Vic or bust guy. I'll roll with whoever we have, but I'm not going to be shy about wanting similar results as those posted above. If that's not our stated goal, then so be it.
Look at the dates.......you are being blinded. we are in 2021

Look at Gary's

Championships
NCAA Division I (2011)
SEC regular season (2021)
2 Big 12 Tournament (2008, 2010)
SEC Tournament (2013)
Big 12 regular season (2007)
WNIT (1999)
7 Southland regular season (19871993)
6 Southland Tournament (19881993)
Texas Class 4A High School (1977, 1978, 1980)

Blair has received the following honors over his coaching career:[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Blair#cite_note-21][21][/url]

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (Gulf Star Conference) (19851987)
198586 Stephen F. Austin 1612 73
198687 Stephen F. Austin 256 91 1st WNIT
Stephen F. Austin: 164 (.800)
Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks (Southland Conference) (19871993)
198788 Stephen F. Austin 295 131 1st NCAA Second Round
198889 Stephen F. Austin 304 131 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
198990 Stephen F. Austin 283 140 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
199091 Stephen F. Austin 256 140 1st NCAA Second Round
199192 Stephen F. Austin 283 171 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
199293 Stephen F. Austin 285 171 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Stephen F. Austin: 21043 (.830) 884 (.957)
Arkansas Ladybacks (Southeastern Conference) (19932003)
199394 Arkansas 1514 38 9th
199495 Arkansas 237 74 T4th NCAA Second Round
199596 Arkansas 2113 38 10th WNIT Fourth Place
199697 Arkansas 1810 57 T7th
199798 Arkansas 2211 77 T6th NCAA Final Four
199899 Arkansas 2014 59 11th WNIT Champions
199900 Arkansas 1715 410 10th WNIT Semifinals
200001 Arkansas 2013 68 T6th NCAA Second Round
200102 Arkansas 2012 77 T7th NCAA Second Round
200203 Arkansas 2211 77 7th NCAA Second Round
Arkansas: 198120 (.623) 5475 (.419)
Texas A&M Aggies (Big 12 Conference) (20032012)
200304 Texas A&M 919 214 T11th
200405 Texas A&M 1615 412 T9th WNIT Quarterfinals
200506 Texas A&M 239 115 3rd NCAA First Round
200607 Texas A&M 257 133 T1st NCAA Second Round
200708 Texas A&M 298 115 T3rd NCAA Elite Eight
200809 Texas A&M 278 115 T3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
200910 Texas A&M 268 106 T4th NCAA Second Round
201011 Texas A&M 335 133 2nd NCAA Champions
201112 Texas A&M 2411 117 T2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Texas A&M: 21290 (.702) 8660 (.589)
Texas A&M Aggies (Southeastern Conference) (2012present)
201213 Texas A&M 2510 115 T4th NCAA Second Round
201314 Texas A&M 279 133 T2nd NCAA Elite Eight
201415 Texas A&M 2310 106 T4th NCAA First Round
201516 Texas A&M 2210 115 T2nd NCAA Second Round
201617 Texas A&M 2212 9-7 6th NCAA Second Round
201718 Texas A&M 2610 11-5 T-4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
201819 Texas A&M 268 12-4 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
201920 Texas A&M 227 106 T3rd Postseason not held due to COVID-19
202021 Texas A&M 232 131 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
aggiedrjdub
AG
I don't think I'm being blinded. I was just trying to connect the 29 years between national championships with her other achievements...13 final 4s..3 national championships. GB has some great statistics as well in terms of winning percentages, but the ncaa tournament stats and the conference (regular season and tournament), don't compare.

Let me clarify - I love GB, but I do think it's time to start looking at transition scenarios. It just bothers me a lot that Starkey is taking our playbook with him to Auburn. He will know how to defend our offense in almost every scenario or set we throw out there.
Rudybryan
Of active coaches - winningest Tara is #1 Geno(UCONN) # 2 C Vivian Stringer (Rutgers) #3 and guess what Gary Blair TAMU) #4

Gary has proven to be a damn good coach....and we were lucky to get him. I remember when we didn't win a game.....we have come a long ways.....the women's team goes dancing every year.....look across the hall at the men's team.....

Why aren't the men recruiting better? why aren't they winning? Why did the men's coaches jump ship? Men's basketball is suppose to be a money team......like football.......

aggiedrjdub
AG
oh i agree! but, of course in the men's forum they are already asking for the coach's head. we had a few great coaches for the men's team...gillespie left and fizzled and turgeon left for greener pastures.

i'm glad gb has won a lot of games. i wish he'd win a lot of conference championships and get us to more final 4s.
trackaggie76
AG
I feel there is no reason why Baylor should have a better program that A&M. They just seem to recruit better.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.