Story Poster
Photo by Angelina Alcantar, TexAgs
Texas A&M Women's Basketball

Blair wins 400th at Texas A&M as No. 15 Aggies take care of Missouri, 72-53

January 26, 2020

The No. 15 ranked Texas A&M Aggies (17-3, 5-2) defeated the Missouri Tigers (5-15, 2-5) on Sunday afternoon, 72-53. With four out of five starters (Kayla Wells, Shambria Washington, N’dea Jones and Ciera Johnson) finishing the game in double figures, this victory was an undeniable team effort.

Chennedy Carter’s absence has given her teammates an opportunity to dig deeper. Senior Shambria Washington led the Aggies in assists with seven, and her performance paved a way for the team to dominate by spreading the ball around. Kayla Wells, N’dea Jones and McKinzie Green each contributed four assists. Exceptional ball movement was the story of the game with 22 of 26 Texas A&M’s field goals being executed with an assist.

"We shared the basketball, we made unselfish plays,” said Washington. “We’re a team, all of us are on scholarship so whoever is playing that night, we try and go find them and we just try to get the perfect play, well not the perfect play, but good-to-great shots is what Coach Blair always preaches.”

Angelina Alcantar, TexAgs
Shambria Washington posted 11 points to go along with her seven assists as the Aggies cruised passed Missouri. Washington was one of four Aggies in double-digits.

N’dea Jones has been lights out this season and is the only SEC player to record a double-double for each conference game this year. Against Mizzou, Jones hit her eighth consecutive double-double, posting ten points and 13 rebounds.

This momentous victory solidified Aggie head coach Gary Blair’s 400th win coaching at Texas A&M University. Coach Blair expressed his gratitude for the players he has coached and the staff he has worked alongside throughout his years at A&M.

"I was just lucky to be asked here 17 years ago,” said Blair. “I know how to build a staff, I know how to build a program, and I know how to recruit the right student-athletes that will fit into the culture of A&M. That's my strength. We hire good, we recruit good, and we win. There's no set formula for 400 wins. Think of how many players I've had along the way; that's the special part."

Gary Blair addressed the elephant in the room and stated that Chennedy Carter was still on the mend and will not know until Thursday if she can play. 

“Everything is always a game-time decision with a sprained ankle,” says Coach Blair.

The Aggies return to Reed Arena on Thursday, January 30th to play Georgia at 7:00 p.m.

MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSOR
Special thanks to 12th Man Technology for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! For the eighth consecutive year, all WBB content will be available to you for free!

Discussion from...

Blair wins 400th at Texas A&M as No. 15 Aggies take care of Missouri, 72-53

8,186 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trackaggie76
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our RPI dropped to 18 with the wins over Bama (RPI 62) and Missouri (RPI 145).
mullokmotx
AG
And Charlie Crme dropped us to a 5 seed in Bracketology.
mullokmotx
AG
I mean Charlie Crme. But he deserves to have his name spelled wrong after dropping us.
Kbeauty63
AG
well, his faith in us is fickle. sheesh
trackaggie76
AG
Without CC not sure that a #5 seed isn't about right. If she isn't back in February it may be a long row to hoe heading into the SEC tournament.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.