***** BTHO Lamar!!! *****

7,078 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rudybryan
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
absolute choas
Rudybryan
Ms State beat them by 50
Gap
AG
I would have to guess this is the worst loss of Blair's entire tenure at A&M. Lamar isn't even a serious WBB program. They have 4 non-conference games against non division 1 teams like Howard Payne, LeTourneau, and McMurry.

Thank goodness our coaches have lots of time off since they don't hit the road recruiting like other coaching staffs. I'm sure that it is good for them personally.

Truly pathetic and absolutely inexcusable loss that will be a constant black mark on his season especially come selection tournament time.
aggieFann
We were simply outplayed and out coached by a more scrappy and hungrier team. That team from the jump came out thinking they would win and hats off to them for beating the #17 team in the country
czar_iv
AG
Wow A&M basketball is going to be really bad this year ...
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Tzone
Guards 12-42...28.6%
Post Players 14-20....70%
Jones & Johnson 10-16...62.5% including a couple of missed layups for both. Disparity in numbers usually tell the tale.

This is a classic case of guards trying to do too much in place of Carter, ignoring the basics of not dribbling up the sidelines to break a press and not including Jones in any post up mismatch.
Wicked Good Ag
Not one three pointer until under a minute left.

This team has waited around to see what Carter is going to do and has no identity when she isn't in the floor and look lost.
As previous poster said we got outhustled in the traps and every loose ball.
We missed at least 11 under the basket shots WITHOUT being defended
trackaggie76
AG
Well the team just got exposed---without Carter we are not very good.
aggieFann
Tzone said:

UGuards 12-42...28.6%
Post Players 14-20....70%
Jones & Johnson 10-16...62.5% including a couple of missed layups for both. Disparity in numbers usually tell the tale.

This is a classic case of guards trying to do too much in place of Carter, ignoring the basics of not dribbling up the sidelines to break a press and not including Jones in any post up mismatch.
Good points and when they did try they threw the balls over their heads or into crowded areas.
And I'm sorry but our starting PG today had 8 turnovers and did not look comfortable at all.
It makes me think if practice is as tough and competitive as it should be.
Don't be surprised if teams start pressing us more after watching this game film. I still think we need someone to mirror the ball snd someone in the middle against a press
HiddenAg2
A&M is a Top 15 team with Carter and one of the worst programs in the country without her. This is what happens when don't bother recruiting high school prospects anymore and only focus on transfers year to year. It's hard to build a team and chemistry that way. I believe Blair is in his final few years at A&M.
Aggie_Brad
HiddenAg2 said:

A&M is a Top 15 team with Carter and one of the worst programs in the country without her. This is what happens when don't bother recruiting high school prospects anymore and only focus on transfers year to year. It's hard to build a team and chemistry that way. I believe Blair is in his final few years at A&M.

GB had to scramble in recruiting time because his two senior all conference girls (Danni and Lashes) transferred because they didn't want to share the spotlight with an All America frosh. That will throw any program into a pile of hurt (see FB with two co-starting QBs transferring). Give GB a break.
czar_iv
AG

Quote:

GB had to scramble in recruiting time because his two senior all conference girls (Danni and Lashes) transferred because they didn't want to share the spotlight with an All America frosh. That will throw any program into a pile of hurt (see FB with two co-starting QBs transferring). Give GB a break.
Blair had 2 of his best players transfer away; manyon this site said that Sumlin was fired for allowing the same thing to happen. I believe Blair was responsible for creating this same situation and culture just as Sumlin did.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
trackaggie76
AG
I think GB is always going to have a "good" program--he caught lightening in a bottle in 2011 when he won it all with Danielle and company--but not sure we will move into the elite level of the conference like MSU and USc without better recruiting.
GigemD
Too much standing around and watching. Period.
Cheah has been a nice spark off the bench, just has to find some type of shot.
Gotta stay hungry ladies...
biobioprof
czar_iv said:

Quote:

Blair had 2 of his best players transfer away; manyon this site said that Sumlin was fired for allowing the same thing to happen. I believe Blair was responsible for creating this same situation and culture just as Sumlin did.

Comparing it to football and the QB transfers doesn't hold up in either a pro or anti Blair argument, IMO.
czar_iv
AG
Attitude and culture are a reflection of leadership IMO
Gap
AG
Aggie_Brad said:

HiddenAg2 said:

So, shouldn't that have made the class we just signed in November a key one anticipating the losses of Danni and Anriel? It looks like we signed just 1 player which was a PG.
Tzone
Watch again. Jones in the middle in the first half, hockey assist. Wells to Johnson layup. Person in the middle most of game and or a mirror. Guards consistently dribbled up the sidelines and picked up the dribble a foot over half court.
Tzone
You can't coach or control jealousy. I give Blair credit. He could've easily blocked Anriel, but at what cost? Anriel and her mother will ultimately see that Coach Blair won't be the reason that she doesn't get drafted in the first round, if at all. Nor will she learn anything new basketball wise.
dchack1971
AG
Sorry , but really makes not want to waste your tine attending anymore !
DogCompany74
AG
This game and this year are golden opportunities to go deep into the bench to see who really wants to play. I'm not sure seeing the same players make the same turnovers proved much today .
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
windmill.1
AG
This program has been headed downward since the year after the NC and more so since Vic left.
Good team players have been transferring as a result of issues with selfish players.
Writing was on the wall for this year when "Lashes" and Dani took their talents elsewhere as a result of the team being built around Carter.
Now Carter gets suspended and you have a team that plays "lost".
Bucketrunner
I agree that Vic's backstabbing didn't help.

But I have never seen a fan base whine so much because they have the best point guard in America.
trackaggie76
AG
Agreed that she is probably the best in America but getting suspended is simply irresponsible and probably cost us this game. I understand she is probably 18 or 19 years old and teenagers make mistakes (God knows I did) but maybe this is a teachable moment for her!
PNWAggie14
AG
On the contrary to today's unfortunate result, I think a lot of good can actually come from this game.

Having watched every game so far this year, it's undeniable that there is talent (notably young* talent) throughout this roster. Is it dialed in yet, obviously not. Today showcased the resting dependence that the team has on Chennedy's tone and game flow that she brings to each game. But, even more striking, it revealed a care-free mindset that's often set when we're playing smaller, non-ranked/"unthreatening" schools.

As we saw, Lamar came out with the exact opposite mindset and fought their way through from start-finish. Honestly, kudos to them for showing the difference that mindset & hustle can make. We could have easily won (without Chennedy), if we would have come out with the same intensity.

This game is going to be a season-long reference point, never assuming how easy a W will be depending on the teams record/reputation. I truly think this is the tonal shift this team needed. Chennedy is going to feel a deeper sense of responsibility & leadership, and others will recognize their need to step up and elevate intensity game in and game out.

Also, hopefully Gary is starting to recognize that Rael-
Whitsitt needs to play more each game. I have a feeling down the stretch as she gains more in-game experience, she's going to be a difference maker this season!

This is the sense of urgency this team desperately needed. Looking forward how they fight onward! Oregon State could be a statement game if we are 100% on. Those are my positive thoughts from today.
dchack1971
AG
What does it take to make a teachable situation . Seems like she was suspended for a game or part of a game last year , can't remember how we did . Starting to look like she thinks she more is more important than the team ?
NM12thmanfan
Aggie_Brad,

The only problem with that assertion as that neither Danni nor Anriel transferred to schools where they wouldn't have to share the spotlight. Danni transferred to a team with 7 McDonald's All-Americans for crying out loud!
Artimus Gordon
85 consecutive victories over mid majors snapped!

I hope Chennedy learned something and I hope Gary learned something after that disgraceful display of basketball.
sharpdressedman
Aggie_Brad said:

HiddenAg2 said:

Coaches have to make tough decisions. GB opted to blow-up the team to appease Carter. It appears he made a serious mistake, likely to be compounded by Carter's early exit to the WNBA.
aggieFann
PNWAggie14 I agree with everything you said
But for those thinking Carter is the best PG right now must've forgotten about the Syracuse guard that we played earlier or the Oregon guard who is a walking triple double. Now I'm not saying Carter can't be one of the better PGs but she definitely has a lot of growing to do. I think that's why coach has mentioned sliding her to the 2-guard position if we get a true PG on board. She's definitely our best option right now handling the ball by far. I really hope she takes on a better leadership role and learns from this suspension
mullokmotx
AG
I didn't hear if Carter got suspended for an academic attendance issue or a basketball attendance issue. Last year Carter and Hillsman did not start the MSU game because I understand they were late for the team bus on the way to the airport. I was a little surprised that Gary held the bus for them.
I thought Gary's post game comments were accurate. My takeaways were that we missed a thousand shots under the basket and did a poor job against the press. At one point today we had 15 turnovers to their 5.
Hopefully the team will learn a lot from this loss.
greg.w.h
AG
The Danielle Adams phenomenon was a lot like the Johnny Manziel phenomenon: we caught lightning in a bottle. The fact that Blair led that team to the National Championship has everything to do with finding a way to beat our nemesis with possibly the greatest women's basketball player of all time on THEIR team.

I'm disappointed with some of the things that have happened since then. But I feel Blair still is the right answer for this team and very likely will have the team ready for the tournament on schedule. As we have already noted, he's used longer rotations to see how many pieces he has that can fit together to help the team be great. That we got beat so soundly on guard play shouldn't be surprising. We also should expect improvement.

Last year's team arguably underperformed with two key players that aren't with us this year that could have been with us. There is no reason to necessarily suggest Blair caused them to leave. After all: the senior transfer rule is very recent and it is causing transfers in MANY sports by MANY athletes. We couldn't possibly imagine every single one of those transfers is caused by the individual coaches except to the extent that the athlete believes she will have a better experience elsewhere.

I hate that the team lost to Lamar. Not a good loss. But if they work with the coaching staff I believe this team can win big. Maybe even E8 or F4. And if you make the F4, you're a game away from playing for the championship. I don't think this team this year will get that far, but I'm not going to count them out, either.

I understand others being frustrated. But losses happen and this is a rational cause for a loss. And a call for the team to be a team and work hard to make EACH OTHER better. I believe Chennedy will continue to grow her skills and maturity and regardless of this situation will be a leader for us that can be just as effective as Danielle. Completely different players and style so that isn't the comparison I'm talking about. I'm talking about the kind of leadership that causes a player to go the extra miles (plural) to get into shape to be able to win.

I think Chennedy's challenge is helping her teammates help her. I believe we can count on them to learn from her and for her to meet that challenge. And if that works the way I think it will, it will happen in part because those who didn't think they could make that work let a new team emerge that will.
aggieflyer
AG
We went to almost every game last year. We watched Blair continue to brag on Carter. She was a continual ball hog "all about me" and you could see the spirit of the team slowly evaporate. So, 2 good "team players" transferred. Couple that with lazy recruiting and you have what we saw today. Uninspired chaos.
Blair is to blame.
DogCompany74
AG
Gary Blair has never had a star player like Carter. I'm not sure that he knows how to work her unique talent and ego into his " shared" system. He recruited in the past based on a players willingness to sit on the bench and wait until they've earned minutes into his seven player rotation. That doesn't work anymore.

My guess is that Anriel worked hard to get into a leadership position under Blairs meritocracy system and resented being usurped by Carter. I think Gary feels Carter is his last shot at another Final Four but he struggles with having to play so many young players around her.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
greg.w.h
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Gary Blair has never had a star player like Carter. I'm not sure that he knows how to work her unique talent and ego into his " shared" system. He recruited in the past based on a players willingness to sit on the bench and wait until they've earned minutes into his seven player rotation. That doesn't work anymore.

My guess is that Anriel worked hard to get into a leadership position under Blairs meritocracy system and resented being usurped by Carter. I think Gary feels Carter is his last shot at another Final Four but he struggles with having to play so many young players around her.

I think that's a good analysis though I think it also has stunted development of some players. Chennedy didn't have a pg in front of her that was ready. He has to have that prepared 1 for his system to work. And he usually has a 1 that takes over the game at clutch times. Danielle was not really a bring-up-the-ball 1 but she did from a 2 most of the meaningful distribution and very much hogged the ball because she scored with the ball.

Neither of the two players that left were consistent on offense. They therefore were not critical on offense. Both were more important on defense and one was very gifted at rebounding which isn't a complete player but small for defense against the top 10-15 teams. The 4s and 5s now are longer, but they have less seasoning and it shows mainly in personal fouls which is usually purely footwork though affected by conditioning. Both can be improved during the season in the trial by fire.

Here's what to look for as the players help Chennedy: do we see movement without the ball and good screens and picks making shots for others? And when we see that is Carter distributing? If not then ball hog is appropriate. But they certainly did NOT get the job done without her against a good but not talented team.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.