Anriel Howard

40,746 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rudybryan
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howard is not coming back. That ship has sailed.

There is a 2018-19 roster now posted on 12thman.com

2018-19 Women's Basketball Roster
Thymes
Gap said:

Howard is not coming back. That ship has sailed.

There is a 2018-19 roster now posted on 12thman.com

2018-19 Women's Basketball Roster
I agree that the likelihood of her returning is slim. However, there are only 13 players on this roster, including one who is on suspension. There is room for one or two more.
Artimus Gordon
2 Srs 0 Fr. who is the suspension? I thought it was the Martin girl and she is on the roster. So there is a ship available for anriel. She can go to graduate school after her eligibility is up and get her masters degree in broadcasting!
Thymes
Artimus Gordon said:

2 Srs 0 Fr. who is the suspension? I thought it was the Martin girl and she is on the roster. So there is a ship available for anriel. She can go to graduate school after her eligibility is up and get her masters degree in broadcasting!
Suspensions don't necessarily remove a player from the roster. They're automatic and a player's final status is decided later.

As for the master's in broadcasting, I've always thought that was window dressing on a case for leaving. Certainly that option won't be available if she goes to play for Vic.
Tzone
Mississippi State it is, so the academic story goes out the window. You won't see an announcement until she graduates. They won't go over 13 players. She's not a part of the off season workouts.
cs69ag
AG
Past time to turn the page, and focus on the players we do have that want to be in Aggieland.
trackaggie76
AG
Howard gets to come back to Reed for a game! lovely
Thymes
Just an update:

Howard needs 19, not 18, hours to graduate. That includes an internship.

Despite making comments about how the coaching staff did not prepare her for professional ball, and that she wasn't sufficiently promoted (by the HC and SID) for all-conference honors, she had the gall to ask for an internship from a branch of the athletics department.

12th Man Productions initially said no. She appealed and the university ordered the athletics department to grant her internship.

All of that with the knowledge that she's headed to play for a conference rival.

Personally, I don't want to hear any more about deficiencies in the way that Gary, his staff, and her teammates treated her.

BTW, once good thing has come out of this. Coach Blair says there is no way she's going to be a member of the team next season.

Which is just as well. Save those roster spots for those who want to be Aggies.
Bucketrunner
There will be a long line ready to help her pack
Kbeauty63
AG
Words cannot express how disappointed I am in her actions. I cannot believe the gall she has in what she did. While Danni still says on Twitter posts 'always an Aggie' - I don't believe that is true for Anriel.

My support is behind Coach Blair & company 1000%.
Rudybryan
Thymes said:

Just an update:

Howard needs 19, not 18, hours to graduate. That includes an internship.

Wonder who is "helping" her.......

Despite making comments about how the coaching staff did not prepare her for professional ball, and that she wasn't sufficiently promoted (by the HC and SID) for all-conference honors, she had the gall to ask for an internship from a branch of the athletics department.

12th Man Productions initially said no. She appealed and the university ordered the athletics department to grant her internship.

THIS IS BS......PRESIDENT YOUNG THE LIBERAL AT IT AGAIN!

All of that with the knowledge that she's headed to play for a conference rival.

Personally, I don't want to hear any more about deficiencies in the way that Gary, his staff, and her teammates treated her.

TOTALLY AGREE - THEY GIVE YOU THE FOUNDATION WHAT YOU DO WITH IT IS UP TO YOU
BUT LIKE THE WNBA PLAYERS WHO GOT DRAFTED AND MADE IT - THEY WERE KNOWN AS GYM RATS - THEY SHOOT HUNDREDS OF SHOTS PER DAY - 200 to 350 during season and more off season ----- When WNBA evaluate her for draft she goes against the likes of Breanna Stewart, Nneka Ogwumike, Elena Delle Donne, Tina Charles, A'ja Wilson current top forwards in WNBA . So how do you think she stacks up. There are 144 players....

BTW, once good thing has come out of this. Coach Blair says there is no way she's going to be a member of the team next season.

MY INTENTION IS TO WATCH OUR NEW TEAM KICK BUTT - AND COMING TO REED WILL NOT BE EASY

Which is just as well. Save those roster spots for ....ONLY.....those who want to be Aggies.

WITH GARY AND OUR COACHES COMPLETELY........
greg.w.h
AG
Not sure why we continue talking about her. And I don't think it's appropriate to source private information about her scholastic situation. She isn't a representative of Texas A&M at this point.
EMIN was WOW!

Quote:

THIS IS BS......PRESIDENT YOUNG THE LIBERAL AT IT AGAIN!

This probably has nothing to do with that sort of politics but not putting the university in a position where they can be accused of sour grapes and/or messing with her academics. As much as I can understand the AD telling her to pound sand, she is still a student, and you have to be careful. If she would have qualified for the internship otherwise (and her being a graduate transfer is probably not a good enough reason to deny her the opportunity), she should get it.

It is best to let it go. I think she will find it is not any better over in Starkville. It is not worth fretting over it.
Belton Ag
AG
So is it unlikely she'll be able to pull it off or no? 19 hours seems like a whole lot to knock out in a summer.
LawHall88
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
Didn't someone on the board say MSU doesn't have a field in broadcasting and that's why Anriel was claiming she wanted to leave A&M?

Don't understand how she is going to be the top big woman on the team with McGowan on there. She would have been our top big woman if she would have stayed.
greg.w.h
AG
No need to stand at the dock waving...ship already sailed...
aggieFann
Good for her. Now it's finally time to move on
Rudybryan
Anriel Howard transferring from Texas A&M to Mississippi State[url=https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/texas-a-m-s-williams-exploring-options-visits-uconn-with/article_1d5727fa-3f59-11e8-860b-cb408d9ead97.html#tncms-source=article-nav-prev][/url]

Anriel Howard still will wear maroon and play women's college basketball at Reed Arena in 2019, but she'll be doing it for Mississippi State.

Howard announced Thursday that she is transferring from Texas A&M to Southeastern Conference rival MSU. She originally announced that she would explore her options for transferring for her senior season after A&M's Sweet 16 run in the NCAA tournament.

"Honestly, I just feel that's the best place to go for me personally as far as everything on and off the court," Howard said. "It's everything I want in a program."

MSU, the national runner-up in back-to-back seasons, is losing four starters from the team that posted a program-best 37-2 record. Howard will be playing for Vic Schaefer, who was an assistant at A&M from 2003-12 and helped his alma mater win the 2011 national championship.

Howard joins an incoming recruiting class at MSU that was ranked 11th by espnW HoopGurlz. Howard, who is from Atlanta, had a record-setting three seasons with the Aggies, holding school records for rebounds in a game (27), a season (439) and a career (1,002). She averaged a career-best 12.1 points per game last season. The telecommunications major who wants to be a broadcaster also worked as an intern at 12th Man Productions.

"I feel A&M helped me a lot in becoming a bit of who I am," Howard said. "And I'm very grateful for all the things that they have done these past three years. But it's time for me to move on and do what's best for me."

At MSU, Howard will team up with 6-foot-7 Teaira McCowan to form one of the nation's most formidable front lines. McCowan, who is from Brenham, led the SEC with 13.9 rebounds per game last season en route to earning third-team All-America honors. Howard was next at 12.2.

"I'm honored to be able to play next to her," Howard told 247Sports.com, which first reported her transfer. "I think that together we can be more dominant that we ever have. I think that we will dominate the paint on any court we go to. I don't think that anybody can prepare for us. I've played against Tea, so I know how good she is in a game, but I hear she's even better in a practice setting, so I'm ready to get to work."

A&M fans will have one more chance to watch Howard up close. MSU will come to Reed Arena for the 2018-19 season at a date still to be announced.

"I don't think it will be weird," Howard said. "I'm excited. I'll get to see my former teammates and coaches, probably not before the game. We probably won't meet and greet until after, but I'm definitely excited to play [at Reed Arena again].

"I don't know how the fans will react, but I know the majority of them have been very supportive through this whole process. You know, I really appreciate the 12th Man. But I don't know how they'll react when I'm actually playing at Reed for a different team."

Howard is finishing up classes at A&M that will allow her to be a graduate transfer.

"I graduate next Friday," said Howard, who has one more in-class exam, then a final paper to turn in Tuesday. "Then I'll be done."

Howard is the second returning starter from A&M to transfer this offseason. Shooting guard Danni Williams transferred to Texas, which coincidentally will play MSU in the 2018 SEC/Big 12 Challenge. Howard and the Bulldogs will be at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin on Dec. 2.

A&M head coach Gary Blair had no comment on Howard's transfer, adding that all his focus is on the players who are in the program and he's been pleased with their progress.

Howard and Williams helped A&M go 26-10 last season, which ended in a 90-84 loss to eventual national champion Notre Dame in the Sweet 16.

Sophomore guard Chennedy Carter is now A&M's only returning starter. She averaged 22.7 points per game and 4.9 assists per game to be named the consensus national freshman of the year.

A&M will have two transfers who sat out last season in 6-4 sophomore center Ciera Johnson (Louisville) and 5-11 sophomore guard Aaliyah Wilson (Arkansas).
Bucketrunner
Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out.
twohyped
AG
Best wishes to Anriel in all her future endeavors. It was great watching her compete for us for 3 years.
Thymes
To think of the potential that this team could have had if these two had stayed!
Rudybryan
Thymes said:

To think of the potential that this team could have had if these two had stayed!
Don't sell us short I like our new lineup......
Tzone
One player asked for her release after EVERY season and the other thinks coaches didn't do enough to promote her for All-SEC even after being left in blow out games at the expense of freshmen playing time for her to get the school double double and rebounding records. The team will be fine and will definitely be better defensively.
dlbarnes76
AG
For whatever perceived improvement Anriel and Danni believe they made in their basketball playing situations, and I really don't think it will work out that they have changed anything for the better, they have lost most if not all of the goodwill that being student athletes at Texas A & M brings with it. That plus the benefits that all students get from being part of the Aggie Network. Women professional basketball players have a tough road making a living if you are even good enough to play professionally. Thinking a little farther down the road past one more year of college basketball might have suggested that the moves they made were not in their long term interest. Oh well, time to move on and support the players that actually want to be here. Gig 'em!
DLB76
Bucketrunner
I can't remember when I've looked forward to a season more.
Thymes
Tzone said:

One player asked for her release after EVERY season and the other thinks coaches didn't do enough to promote her for All-SEC even after being left in blow out games at the expense of freshmen playing time for her to get the school double double and rebounding records. The team will be fine and will definitely be better defensively.
I seem to remember a senior player who was pretty darned good, but not quite good enough to start in her last year.

She accepted her role and came off the bench as the 6th player, and was instrumental in our winning a national championship.

Maryanne Baker, I wish we could have found a place for you on the coaching roster. Some young Aggies could have learned from you.
Rudybryan
Tzone said:

I have no doubt the team will be better....I for one am damn sick of these egos.....
Texagsubscriber
Rudybryan
old news

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.