Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Warren Buffet / Berkshire Cash vs SP500 - Indicators

2,748 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by JSKolache
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems if you go back and look at the Berkshire Hathaway cash holdings that they always increase before a large drop in the stock market (2001, 2007, 2022 at least). Just take a look at this graph versus the S&P:

https://companiesmarketcap.com/berkshire-hathaway/cash-on-hand/#google_vignette

He knows how to "time the market", even though, publicly, he says it's impossible.

Has anyone ever tried to look at indicators (MAs, MACD, combination of things) that line up to the Berkshire cash draw downs (i.e. when they "jump back in")?
EliteZags
AG
they also increase cash not before a large drop in the stock market
harge57
AG
Bonfire97 said:

It seems if you go back and look at the Berkshire Hathaway cash holdings that they always increase before a large drop in the stock market (2001, 2007, 2022 at least). Just take a look at this graph versus the S&P:

He knows how to "time the market", even though, publicly, he says it's impossible.

Has anyone ever tried to look at indicators (MAs, MACD, combination of things) that line up to the Berkshire cash draw downs (i.e. when they "jump back in")?
He never tries to time the market. He is a 100% fundamentals investor.

He sells when he thinks a business is valued high/too high and buys businesses he thinks are undervalued. according to him they do zero macro economic analysis/timing.
EliteZags
AG
I always poop before a large drop in the stock market
chris1515
AG
He's constantly growing the cash pile waiting for a bargain/blood in the street. And what do you know…he finds those bargains when the market crashes.

I don't think his growing the cash held is a predictive indicator.
BTHOtrolls
AG
harge57 said:

Bonfire97 said:

He never tries to time the market. He is a 100% fundamentals investor.

He sells when he thinks a business is valued high/too high and buys businesses he thinks are undervalued. according to him they do zero macro economic analysis/timing.

In his early days, it was all about value investing for attractive P/E based on Benjamin Graham's philosophy. Benjamin Graham was Warren Buffett's college professor who taught him about business valuations.

If you buy "The Intelligent Investor" on Amazon, it was written by Benjamin Graham. Buffett has called it the best book ever written on investment and outlines how he decides when to buy / sell.

Buffett's main challenge now is that Berkshire Hathaway has become so large, it's much harder to find undervalued investments significant enough to make an impact to BRK bottom line.

Buffet response has been to make himself known as a go-to source for massive amounts of quick cashlike he did with Bank of America after 2008. He's the guy big players call when they've run out of places to turn for cash. They know it won't be cheap coming from him. That's his "edge" these days.

Also worth considering…

A major part of Berkshire Hathaway is insurance underwriting, and with inflation, the cost of replacing things has skyrocketed. All the inflation we've seen since 2020 should in theory show up as cash on buffet's balance sheet to cover higher replacement cost for insurance losses.
aggiebrad16
AG
Couple thoughts here!

1) WB has been piling cash for years. This isn't a recent phenomenon. He has been criticized for not deploying that cash and has defended it by saying it's hard to find whales to move the needle when Brk is the size it is (like the poster above me stated). Another phenomenon he spoke about recently is that whale hunting is way more public when you're looking at businesses worth $50b+. It's hard to find undervalued and attractively priced businesses of this size because they attract so much attention from everyone. Hard to find a diamond in the rough. I think Charlie's thought process of buying good companies at fair prices will help us here instead of old school warrens fair companies at good prices.

2) WB doesn't time the market, but it does get tough to deploy capital at these valuations I think is his mindset. Could people take that as a misconception that he's waiting for a crash? Maybe. I think he's just waiting on the fair process to come back like alluded above.

3) it's interesting, during the Covid crash there were companies taking financing anywhere they could find it (see Tillman Fertittas 15% loan), but WB was not active in this market like he was in 2008. Will be interesting if he dabbles in it again if/when there is a large pull back. I'm sure he will.

My opinion (which may not be worth much!) is not to equate WBs cash pile to him waiting on a correction, more so that he's still hunting for that company or companies that will move the Berkshire needle and that's just hard to do when you have to deploy so much capital.
RogerEnright
Ditto everyone's comment on always building cash as well as not timing market, but prefers valuations he likes.

If you read Benjamin Graham's Intelligent Investor, he talks about the trade off between bonds / cash and equities. Benjamin Graham was WB's mentor.

My money market is at a 5.28% SEC Yield right now, which is pretty low risk. Can you guarantee that in many equities when CAPE Shiller is above 36?
Furlock Bones
AG
This. It's a natural part of their plan to have the cash to take advantage of those values.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Today gonna be interesting in determining whether a real correction is in the cards or not.
Aglaw97
AG
aggiebrad16 said:

Couple thoughts here!

1) WB has been piling cash for years. This isn't a recent phenomenon. He has been criticized for not deploying that cash and has defended it by saying it's hard to find whales to move the needle when Brk is the size it is (like the poster above me stated). Another phenomenon he spoke about recently is that whale hunting is way more public when you're looking at businesses worth $50b+. It's hard to find undervalued and attractively priced businesses of this size because they attract so much attention from everyone. Hard to find a diamond in the rough. I think Charlie's thought process of buying good companies at fair prices will help us here instead of old school warrens fair companies at good prices.

2) WB doesn't time the market, but it does get tough to deploy capital at these valuations I think is his mindset. Could people take that as a misconception that he's waiting for a crash? Maybe. I think he's just waiting on the fair process to come back like alluded above.

3) it's interesting, during the Covid crash there were companies taking financing anywhere they could find it (see Tillman Fertittas 15% loan), but WB was not active in this market like he was in 2008. Will be interesting if he dabbles in it again if/when there is a large pull back. I'm sure he will.

My opinion (which may not be worth much!) is not to equate WBs cash pile to him waiting on a correction, more so that he's still hunting for that company or companies that will move the Berkshire needle and that's just hard to do when you have to deploy so much capital.
And he obviously wants to move the needle in a positive direction. He's always lived by the mantra to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. I think he believes the market in general is overvalued and thus finding the right value deal is harder in that environment. It's a little bit of chicken and the egg and I don't think he's necessarily waiting on a correction, but the reality is that a correction would make the deals more attractive for his capital.
aggiebrad16
AG
Boom. Agreed.
JSKolache
AG
Just buy brk.b, or .a if you can. It's the best index etf.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.