Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What does your inflation gauge show?

4,640 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Sims
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
frozen yogurt in a small bowl is now $13
kyledr04
AG
htxag09 said:

strbrst777 said:

Waiting for anyone to post that over the last three years their personal/family inflation meter registers only 19.6-20 percent.
I'd wager 95+% of people don't have good enough control of their finances to even tell you, if they're being honest.

Even if they do, there are so many other variables. For example, we know our finances and keep the history to tell you numbers, but in 2020 it was just my wife and I. Now we have 2 kids and are in a new house, so completely different expenditures regardless of inflation.

*Not defending that inflation is only 20% over the last 3 years. Just don't think you'll find many people keeping track closely enough to tell you wholistically on way or the other. Will just be a lot of anecdotes and singular budget line items like this thread.

Even without much budgeting, all it takes is a quick look back an average grocery or restaurant receipts. We go to the same Mexican restaurant. Average price from 3 years ago for virtually the same orders is 20-25%. We used to go almost weekly. Several months ago I said it wasn't worth it plus trying to lose a few pounds. Now it might be monthly.

I also just got a notification our insurance renewed. I'm scared to look. Plus our 2025 propery tax estimate just showed up. They raised the value 34%.

Inflation is brutal.
Sims
AG
Measured w same methodology as European inflation, US core PCE is currently under 2%.

Price levels absolutely are brutal. Even during Volkers reign price levels were up close to 60%.

Inflation is slowing quite quickly and we're likely headed for a disinflationary recession.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.