Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Young Ag asking for investing advise

11,272 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by AgsMyDude
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ATM9000 said:

I bleed maroon said:

Quote:

Sorry… but this post is equally as silly of a meme post as what Yukon I think is trying to say but nobody is hearing because he's doing it in an internet edgelord sort of way.

I am not remotely understanding what this means, but...

It appears that the rest of your post agrees with my "meme post" (?). My point is that there are exceptions where exceptional people both have the strength of conviction and single-minded focus to turn down a slam-dunk financial foundation to bet it all on following their passion. They also have to benefit from good or lucky timing and market conditions. The problem is that there are a lot more people who think they have "it", and pay throughout their lifetime for their failure. You don't get that foundational period back. It's called risk for a reason.

Just think of a 22-25 year old recent college graduate - how many of them have the life experience and drive to both have a great idea, and possess the relentless desire to see it through. I think I was quite generous in saying 99.9% of people don't.

Your post reads as if only people who want to be outright rich or outright grifters with big fantastical ideas are those who don't understand the value of a 401k.

All I'm saying is that there are degrees to it and there's LOADS of people who say they want to be their own boss or start even just a normal business one day (don't even have grand big ideas) when they are 22-25 but never are able to because they sock all their liquidity away in tax deferred retirement accounts as it is perceived as most optimal. As a result, they are kind of shooting themselves in the foot on their own long term aspirations.

This is why quite a few people see it as a trap… because at 22, when you put into that account for example, you are locking yourself out of your own money for like 37 years in most circumstances. You talk about great ideas and relentlessness and say 99.9% of people don't have it… but there's a HELL of a lot more than 1 out of 1000 people who have chosen to own their own business. It's not that grand of a thing… most people say they want to do it… but then do things antithetical to it… like put money in accounts you can't touch for year and years.

It's asinine at this point. If you think your "liquidity is locked away" in a 401(k), then you're simply ignorant. Just go through my post history, I've laid out every available option from SEP, to ladder, to loan, to back door, to even paying the penalty. You keep saying there's no free lunch: Uncle Sam is handing you one in the form of tax deferral to incentivize you to save.

Also, also, if you're ponying up your own equity into a business, good luck. If it were me, I'd keep personal and business separate and pursue series, loans, partnerships, etc.
AgsMyDude
AG
I'm late to this thread but the personal finance subreddit has a pretty solid flowchart, OP

Koldus131
AG
OP - 30 y/o here who has been in the workforce for just over 6 years and I feel like I've done pretty well for myself. Don't want to get into too much detail since this is a public page on the internet after all, but here's what I've done and what I would prioritize, in order.

1. Make a monthly budget. Decide how much you're going to spend and how much you want to save each month to meet your retirement goals. Never spend more than you make or have unless there is literally no other choice. Getting into personal debt (with the exception of a mortgage and maybe a car loan) is a hellhole and money suck.

For retirement goals, a general rule of thumb in retirement is that you can withdraw 4% of your total NW and never have to worry about running out of money. Make sure you consider inflation for your retirement goals. $100k will have the same spending power in 32 years as $45k does today assuming 2.5% annual inflation. Assuming you're somewhat knowledgeable about finance, you can find what you need to start saving using a TVM calculator pretty easily.

For example let's say you're 23 today and you want to retire at age 55 with a $4MM NW and you have $0 saved today. If you are conservative and assume a 6% return on your investments, you need to save 44k each year to meet that $4MM goal. The most important thing is to start TODAY. The power of compounding interest is unbelievable and $100 invested at age 25 will be worth so much more than $100 invested at age 35.

2. Build an emergency fund, place in a high yield savings account. It's up to you how much this should be, but good rule of thumb is 3-6 months of expenses.

3. Max your employer's 401k matching contributions if that's an option - this is literally free money, don't know why anyone wouldn't do this.

4. Max out a Roth IRA. There are instances where maxing out a normal IRA is better than Roth, but assuming you're going to be earning more in the later stage of your career and in retirement than you are today, Roth is generally best.

The next two can be in either order, depending on preference (do you want accessible money now but have to deal with the tax disadvantages now? or do you want to put all you can into retirement but risk early withdrawal penalties if you end up needing the money?, etc.). I prefer to balance these two, to build up money especially for early life investments and purchases (house, car, wedding, kids, etc.)

5. Max out 401k - this is great because if you just look at your take home pay and budget off of that number, you won't even have to really think about the money that's going into your 401k. Out of sight, out of mind until you need it one day

6. Begin investing all extra savings - this can be done however you want. Some will suggest mutual funds, some will suggest real estate (like many on this thread have done), some will suggest riskier items (crypto, entrepreneurship, emerging markets, etc.). This is all about your own personal risk tolerances. Read about investing and make your own decisions. Higher returns inevitably mean more risk. No matter what anyone says, higher returns are directly tied to risk.

Hope this helps!
Koldus131
AG
Quote:

I'm late to this thread but the personal finance subreddit has a pretty solid flowchart, OP

I should have read this post before I typed my post out, this post is perfect. All I'll add is I've followed this flowchart almost exactly over the last 6 years and I am extremely happy with my financial position today.
Deputy Travis Junior
Yukon Cornelius said:

People will recommend 401k. They are a scam. They lock you out of YOUR money. Better investments with higher returns at your age. Your future earnings is an asset to be leveraged.

My goal if I were you is try to find the quickest path to becoming an accredited investor and then potentially find Limited partnerships to be involved in.

Terrible advice. This guy is a new grad without money, and no PE/VC/private credit firm is going to let him into a fund for a $15k buy-in (and if they do, they're almost certainly a **** firm).

If you want to invest in a solid PE firm, you probably need $250-500k minimum, and a top notch shop place like KKR or andreessen or Sequoia would likely laugh at you if your check didn't have 8 digits.
AgsMyDude
AG
Haha as I read your post it was going almost directly through the flow chart I posted

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.